midwest 19-Dec-14
Paul@thefort 19-Dec-14
TD 19-Dec-14
lineman21 19-Dec-14
mixed bag 19-Dec-14
Paul@thefort 19-Dec-14
Rayzor 20-Dec-14
19-Dec-14
Looking for some input from you Colorado gurus. What unit would you apply for between 66 and 49? I'm not a trophy hunter just looking for a bull. Probably have 2 weeks to hunt. Being in shape is not an issue for me (I know the terrain in these two units is tough). I have hunted elk for the last 10 years. I have 5 pp for elk and deer.

49 I could draw both where in 66 I could only draw elk. Elk would be the priority on this hunt. I would put in for the deer permit in 49 if I were to decide on that though.

Thanks for any input guys!

19-Dec-14
49 can be really good if you catch the elk before they get to private. Several very large ranches on both sides.

19-Dec-14
You could possibly draw 66 deer also with 5 pts.

19-Dec-14
Unit 49-- bulls `10 cows 5 total 18elk 159 hunters, 11% success

Unit 66 ---bulls 34 cows 4 total 38elk 160 hunters, 24%

Data for 2013 Archery harvest

19-Dec-14
I'd say 49.... looks like they kilt all of em in 66 already.... =D

Hey, at least it's ttt....

19-Dec-14
Thanks Paul and everybody.

Paul, I don't know if you remember but a few years back I talked to you at medicine creek resivior north of cambridge nebraska. I'm a electric lineman and we had stopped in there for lunch. You were out here doe hunting if I recall correctly.

19-Dec-14
I'm putting in for 66 this season but have to go 1st rifle as I'll be moose hunting in Alaska most of Sept.I asked about it and was told its about as good of quality as an otc hunt with less people.But all Co units hold good bulls and sometimes even a blind squirrel can find a nut.I hope so in my case.Plan to get my son a cow tag so he can build another point to draw it the following year

19-Dec-14
Hi Cole, yes I remember you and our conversation. If I remember correctly, it was early Dec. and very very cold and I was camp out in the the popup trailer and the morn temps was 9 degrees. Never did kill a doe. I did turkey hunt there last year but have not deer hunted the area for a couple of years.

Good luck on your Colorado hunt.

Paul

20-Dec-14
Hunted 66 4 times. Its been a been a few years since I was there. Seemed to decrease in quantity and quality of elk I saw although a did see good bulls on each visit and someone in our party killed one each time. One trip most of us did. I've been collecting points. Not sure where to burn them myself.

• Sitka Gear