cityhunter 24-Dec-14
Jack Harris 24-Dec-14
Genesis 24-Dec-14
standswittaknife 25-Dec-14
TheDream 25-Dec-14
ahunter55 25-Dec-14
cityhunter 26-Dec-14
19-Dec-14
I have contacted the Iowa DNR in the past about hosting a disabled vet or a sick child on my farm . I was told by the DNR this person would need to go thru the draw /points system . Draw i explained might not be a option for some . This person then told me of a story the year before of a kid with cancer that wanted to hunt Iowa , this kid did not have points , Iowa DNR did not grant this kid a tag :< The Agent was upset on Iowas stance on this matter . I explained i would not expect the residents of Iowa to pay for these NR tags ! And the hunt would only take place on my farm . He then said he wished more then anything he could help me !!! I hung up kicked in the gut .

Months went by i was then contacted thru PMs and phone calls from a disabled veteran telling me Iowa was granting some tags for disabled vets . It was a new program and would need a outfitter to sponsor the hunter. It was great to see Iowa change there stance on this issue ! Again more months went by more calls were made then finally i received the email ! This email included a application for me to host a disabled vet or sick child. And if the person was to meet the criteria no points would be needed . A full price nonres Lic/ tags would be required and a licensed hunter next to the disabled hunter !!! I look forward to hosting one of these hunts in the near future , Maybe other landowners can get involved . louis

19-Dec-14
Congrats Lou, let me be the first to say it's a wonderful gesture and a great Christmas news.

19-Dec-14
Good on you! Very cool

20-Dec-14
Your a great American and a patriot!!!

20-Dec-14

writer's embedded Photo
writer's embedded Photo
Kansas reserves some non-resident permits, after the spring draw, for those with disabilities, including the military.

Kansas residents, of course, can get their permits over the counter. I've taken four in about the past two years for deer or turkeys.

Find a vet, and you'll have to do some digging to find one that really can benefit from what you do.. The time you spend with them will be more important than anything they can get in a VA hospital. The confidence they gain from a hunt will do more for PTSD than any medication.

Do it. It's easy, it will also help you put YOUR life into perspective. A few weeks ago I took a27 year old who had been hit, hard, by and IED. Kid was really struggling to get back some sort of normalcy with serious back, leg and PTSD issues.

...watched him change, a bunch.

You will, however, get pretty sick of the petty bickering you read on Bowsite after you start taking wounded vets.

This is the guy....now go find your own, and make him smile like this. :-)

You should be able to access the story on www.kansas.com/outdoors.

City, get some friends to help you, then encourage them to do it on their own too. Lots of great people would like to help kids and vets, but don't know how. City, teach them as you go and learn. You've already taken the biggest step.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Great for you, better for those you'll take.

20-Dec-14
Good for Louis! It's really nice that people like you offer up your property's and time and give someone the opportunity to hunt Iowa.

20-Dec-14
Good for you Lou!!!

20-Dec-14
Louis, that is a very selfless gesture on your part ! You are a good man !

20-Dec-14
way to go, city!

20-Dec-14
Please keep updating this thread......

20-Dec-14
Awesome news. When you have those hunters lined up, make a post here. Based on what I've seen in the past, I'm confident there are plenty of other folks on here like me who would be willing to make a contribution to get those tags and such paid for.

20-Dec-14
What a great effort and gesture on your part Lou.

Merry Christmas.

20-Dec-14
Nicely done, City. Nicely done!

20-Dec-14
That's really cool Louis!!

20-Dec-14
Glad to hear Iowa's Fish and Game are helping.

20-Dec-14
I hope you get the chance to take someone out.Think it would b life changing for u both.With all the secrets feel they have to keep about hunting in their states,it's refreshing to hear someone willing to GIVE.I saw the pics of the bucks on your farm.Really,how many guys on here would do what u are in this day of posted land and leases.

20-Dec-14
So I guess with 3 points I am in as a Viet Nam vet.

Excited for 2015 and my very first Whitetail buck hunt!!

Thanks Lou.

Good luck, Robb

20-Dec-14

cityhunter's embedded Photo
cityhunter's embedded Photo
Robb of course ! Just dont draw tooooo many tags this year !!

20-Dec-14
Louis: We, the people of Iowa, who attend the yearly DNR meetings have been asking for this to happen for years!!!! For years it has been suggested that the so called "celebrity tags" be cut and given to veterans. Thanks to the DNR for finally listening to our suggestions. Sometimes they (the DNR) are slow but they tend to come around eventually. Good luck on any hunts that you sponsor.

The dog

20-Dec-14
Get in touch with the hunt of a lifetime people/org. They do this exact thing with children. Bob.

20-Dec-14
Louis,

What you are doing is fantastic. My son and I spent the first 4 days of the Michigan firearm season helping out tracking and dragging at a non ambulatory hunt here. It was amazing to be part of.

20-Dec-14
Good on you man, very neat thing you are doing.

24-Dec-14
Thanks for doing this. As a Commander currently serving in the middleast it means a lot that you and folks like you our willing to do this for our Soldiers. Thank you for the support

24-Dec-14
Ranger6 Merry Xmas .

24-Dec-14
God Bless you Louis. Merry Christmas

24-Dec-14
Bronx Bomber Whitetails!!!!The Dream starts now! :)

25-Dec-14
Louis, what goes around comes around for sure.. Good on you..

25-Dec-14
This is Great. Love these stories!

Give back!

25-Dec-14

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
Great & congratulations. As a past nam vet & the love of Bowhunitng for over 50 years I did a Wounded Warrior Hog Bowhunt last Jan. I did it on my own & did not ask for donations though did receive some unsolicited that allowed 2 hunters instead of one. It was a great time & you will get a lot more enjoyment doing this than you can ever imagine. Good Luck & keep us posted.

OH, I am available to help if ever needed free of charge. Just a call & a heads up is all I need.

26-Dec-14
John what part of Iowa are u from

• Sitka Gear