WRO 14-Jan-15
bobinbend 14-Jan-15
Genesis 14-Jan-15
Ziek 14-Jan-15
Kurt 15-Jan-15
haole boy 28-Mar-15
Ermine 28-Mar-15
06-Jan-15
I am about to purchase my first high end optics.

I am certain I will be buying the Swarovski EL's

I currently use Leupold 10x42 Mojave's that are just okay but have served me well.

I am an avid whitetail hunter I hunt in the deep woods of Central MS - lots of woods, pine plantations, hardwoods, and some large cutovers. I probably sit in the woods 60-70 times a year in a tree stand. am also a very avid turkey hunter.

I spend 1 - 2 weeks a year out west chasing elk and usually a week or so in the Midwest going after whitetails.

I initially wanted the 10x42's or 10x50's EL's the price tag is $2700 and some change for brand new. (had to pawn off some hunting gear and guns to fund this purchase!)

I have found a pair of 8x32 EL's from around 2004 or 2005 that I can own for less that $1,000

Are the benefits of the 10x42 worth the 1500-1700 more ?? What are your thoughts? I know the larger objective gather more light and larger field - but I would like to hear thoughts from hunters...

I was thinking that with most of my hunting in the woods I may be able to settle for 8x32's - especially when I already have a pair of decent 10x42's. however I do not want to skimp on this purchase.

please share your experience with these size bino's.

06-Jan-15
I have 10 x32 el. Love them. I chose the 32 size over the 42 due to size. I love the smaller size for chasing Bulls in mtns. Less weight and less bulky. Downside is they can get s little shaky in the 10 power. I would save the money and get the used pair. swarvoski is awesome on backing up their binoculars. Send them in and they will rebuild and clean for little to no charge

06-Jan-15
Jim,if you bowhunt early season 10X is alot easier to find acorns before they fall.

That's a good price though but I would want 10X in North Mississippi

06-Jan-15
I own one pair 10x42 EL great optics ! sell your 10x42 s and get the Swaros ! The 8s will work but what if u want to hunt big open country one day the 8s will fall short !!

06-Jan-15
I have 10x42 ELs I bought new in 2008. They awe wonderful but I find 10x to be too much magnification for whitetail hunting in Ohio, so I hunt with my 8x42 Leicas; the ELs stay in the kitchen where we can view our pasture and woods. It's not on your list, but if I were you I would get 8x42 ELs - plenty for Whitetails, a little underpowered for hunting out west but you spend most of your time hunting in the east. 8x32 is only a 4mm exit pupil - not ideal for low light and no brand can overcome the laws of Physics. 8x42 has an exit pupil of 5.25mm. Or 37% larger than 8x32 (objective size/power = exit pupil). Most humans eyes can dilate to a maximum of between 5-7mm, so any binocular with an exit pupil of less than 5mm will not transmit the maximum amount of light to your retinas.

06-Jan-15
I love the 10x42 ELs use them for all hunting, I would rather have a bigger glass for hunting the big fields in KY and all outside of state hunts, that said I would rather have the bigger glass for all hunting except turkey where I use the compact swaros in an 8 power. You can keep an eye out on ebay they have some pop up from time to time at good prices.

06-Jan-15
I bought 8x32s about 15 years ago for Midwestern whitetail and turkey hunting. I started going on more western hunts and the 8s weren't quite enough. I liked the first pair so much I bought a second pair in 10x42. They are expensive, but I considered it as an investment. With proper care they will last for a very long time. I hope my sons will be hunting with dads old swaros long after I'm gone.

06-Jan-15
10x42 is what you need. 10x50 is too heavy, 8x is OK but if forced to pick one you cant go wrong with Swaro 10x42 EL. Swarovski also has an SLC line of binoculars. Basically the old model, EL was introduced several years ago but they still make the SLC line. You can get 10x42 SLC for $2000 new. I have them and for my money I don't see any reason to go to the EL.

06-Jan-15
My progression in high quality binos started with Swarovski 8 X 30 SLC many years ago. I then purchased 10 X 42 ELs, and my wife used the 8 X 30s. Initially she liked the smaller size. However, she now has a pair of 10 X 42 SLCs and prefers them. The 8 X 30s have been relegated to back up duty, when we want something, but glassing isn't critical (mostly non-hunting use). Most of our hunting is in Colorado, but we've hunted from CT to AK. The 10 X 42s are the best all-around glass for us and I wouldn't own anything but Swaros.

06-Jan-15
I also love my 10x42 EL's, use them for turkey to big game. I rely on them so much that I would rather forget my turkey calls headed to the woods than my binos. (After all turkeys are the easiest game animals to harvest with a bow so that might not be a great endorsement.)

That however that is a good price for the 8X32 pair, consider purchasing those and see what you think. You won't lose any money if sell them to upgrade to the 10x42's later. As JW stated, they are an investment, I used some of the proceeds from the sale of a 4-wheeler to justify spending the $$$. Good luck

DJ

06-Jan-15
For backpack hunting, does the 10X32 el with swarovision give up too much in 32 mm objective? I always love to travel as light as possible in the back country for elk and had contemplated the upgrade or downgrade, depending on the glass you prefer. I have a pair of the 10x42 el from 2007 and was looking at going to the 10 x 32 el with swarovision.

06-Jan-15
I love my 10 yr old Swaro 10x42 ELs. So does my wife so we got another pair of 2014s with swarovision. They are very slightly clearer at the outer edge but weigh several ounces more. They don't seem as user friendly to me as an eye glass wearer. Anyway they are both wonderful, but don't assume a 2004 EL is very much behind the latest swarovision version based only on my eyes. Yours will perceive it slightly different. I'd own them (either) as my only binoculars as Inlive in BC and do a fair amount of open country hunting.

That said, I am sitting in a tree hunting Coues deer in AZ with a pair of Leica Ultravid 8x32 binos hung around my neck. I really like the smaller size and less magnification when hunting deer, elk, bears etc in tighter cover where glassing over 200 yds is unlikely. When I am in the wide open the 10x42s come out and from the truck or RZR I use a pair of Leica 15x56 Geovids on a tripod. They are wonderful for glassing at a mile or so. Yes, I love good optics even more than bows and they get a work out.

06-Jan-15
FWIW,

I have had 10 x40s Zeiss for years. Sold them to take advantage of the new coatings & technology.

Struggled with the 10 vs 8s like you. Ended up with the Swa El 8 x32 with Swarvosion. I hunt a lot in the desert for mulies and really wondered if they would be up to the task of long distance glassing. Actually they really do a great job.

I do like the lighter weight, smaller size and the lack of wiggle you get with the l0's.

If the critter is that far away where I need the spotting scope I most likely can't get to him that day.

I "save" him and try the following day from a different position.

Bob

06-Jan-15
I would also recommend the Swarovski slc in the 10x42. Mine our over 20 years old have sent them back twice warranty is amazing. Am on my 3rd housing or whatever the outer layer is called. And the second set of outer lenses. The first time I sent them back they fixed things I hadn't even mentioned. These are used 75-100 days a year in the field. I also own 15/56 Swarovski but mostly tripod use. You will not regret the purchase.

06-Jan-15
get what you want. get the best option. you want the 10x42. if you compromise you will remember it every time you pick up the 32s

the 42s give you much more flexibility if you are only going to own one pair.

how many guys hold 10x42s and say, damn, i wish i had a little less magnification and a smaller field of view with a tad less light gathering ability..........therefore i will take the 8x32s

not many guys

07-Jan-15
Bou'bound

believe it or not - this is what my wife said as well. I'm going to wait until deer season is over and go shop for the 10x42's

07-Jan-15
I started probably 25 years ago with my 1st "good" pair of binos; Swarovski 8x30s. As I started hunting out west I upgraded to 10x42 Leicas. I never found them a hindrance in the thick Michigan woods and they were a great help everywhere more open. At one point recently I thought I would be better off with 8x32s for home and 10-15 Duovids for away. I still have both but I found myself missing my 10x42s and picked up some Victory FL. If some day I have to get rid of all my optics but one I will keep an ultra high quality 10x42.

07-Jan-15
Another vote for the 10X42 EL's....

07-Jan-15
I am definitely in the minority here. I have 8.5X42 EL's and love them. When I got them I figured that in the mountains the extra 1.5 power would not make a significant difference. I am not a trophy hunter so I don't need to tell the difference between a 340 and a 360 bull. In the woods the larger field of view helps me get on something I want to see a little quicker. If I had to do it again I am not sure which way I would go, but I would certainly go with the larger objective lenses... 42's all the way!

07-Jan-15
Olebuck, I have a very nice pair of EL 10X42 that are in very good shape that I have owned for about 5 years. I have used them on 4 elk hunts and am looking at selling for $1400. I bought them on ebay as new, just don't use them much and just keep them in the gun safe. when you start to look and are interested just let me know. Thanks Steve

07-Jan-15
I have a brand new still in the box 8x32 el im trying to flip. got them at a good price Im a big glass guy 10x42 and 15x56

07-Jan-15
my 10x42 el have proven to be the best all around binos I have ever used. If you got the cash I would recommend them!

07-Jan-15
I have a brand new never used in box pair of 10 X2 el's I can make someone a very good deal on...

08-Jan-15
ive had 10x32 els for a couple years. great for packing around, not so great for a quick look mid way into a ball busting hike. i wish i had 8x32. these binos are rediculous clear. imo what a guy looses in magnification you gain in how steady you can hold them.

if i could do it again 8x32 or 8x42

08-Jan-15
"what a guy looses in magnification you gain in how steady you can hold them"

Not really.What a guy loses in magnification he can hike another quarter mile would be more accurate!:)

"Hand shake" is an attribute of every single bino without some gyro compensation device and the blanket excuse for an 8X carrier realizing he made a mistake..:)I free hand my 15X a lot for short period glassing

Tripods improve steadiness,comfort and weight for every power (even 7-8X) so the niche for a handheld 8X has a very small window in hunting applications.

Birding distances = 7 or 8X so don't let that market talk you out of the extra mag to judge more distant animals

Good Luck in your search

08-Jan-15
+10 to Genesis ^^^^^^

Tripod is a huge improvement and I almost always take the time to use mine. It makes a drastic difference and is worth the 30 seconds.

08-Jan-15
Is it worth the upgrade from the 10x42 el to the 10x42 el with swarovision?

08-Jan-15
"Is it worth the upgrade from the 10x42 el to the 10x42 el with swarovision?"

That's a good question as I've not looked through those but being in the optical game for 25 years my speculations should be pretty close.

I've done a ton of heachache free glassing with my EL's and even though the aberration corrective measures are there in swarovision I doubt (minus the huge power of placebo from cost)it will improve the function of the glass.

My reasoning:

Prescriptive glasses are now having aberration correction manufactured so the normal Joe's glasses will have it.This is great technology and truly does work per the aberrometer.However,I honestly (nor my staff) can "see" any increase in clarity.Therefore,I do not recommend the $40 add on.Optical reps will give them to me but I cannot see the benefit

That said...other markets use them on everyone touting them and thus charging more for the Rx work....I simply can't go there.

Swarovision will raise price point also and resale will take a hit I feel.

My best advice is to find the most beat up pair of EL's one can find and pay the lowest dollar.Then send them to Swar for the $100 (may be more now ) refurbishing.You will end up with probably the best glass for the money and appear brand new while maintaining the tremendous resale upside. If later you want to scale up to better tech when it comes (ranging capabilities/better design,coating more than swarovision)then your $$ will be recouped for that purchase

Don't give up on Ziess either,optically they are neck and neck (Schott glass in Swar is a Zeiss company)but the resale and customer service of Swar is superior presently imo.

08-Jan-15
olebuck,

Your thread could have been written by me! I too am planning an up grade. Almost pulled the trigger on the Zeiss conquest HD 8X42 demo with a $100 rebate at $645 I own 8x32 Minox binos from the mid 90's. They have served me well. I don't want to by a "lower end" glass only to regret not going for the Swaro/Leica HD models. I own a Swaro Non-HD spotter and quality rifle scopes made by Leica and Khales and have never regretted buying quality glass. Binos are used for all (any weapon)hunting and year round scouting. Makes sence to have your dollars spent here. Got such a good deal on the spotter and the 2 Khales scopes I could not resist. Recently a friend let me try his 10X42 SLC HD and I am most impressed with them optically and they just feel right in the hand. Also read the review on the Swaro 8X30 CL on the rokslide site. At 17 oz. and under $900 they are a good option too. Too many choices!

LaGriz

08-Jan-15
Blakes x2.

8.5 x 42 is brighter in low light (closest thing to night vision I've used), easier to steady (especially with wind) larger field of view. In decent conditions I can one hand it on a stalk or while hunting to a spot to glass from. Easier to use when on the move. If you wear glasses the 8x will normally have the better eye relief as well for some reason.

Never missed spotting anything or couldn't see game I would have with 10x. At best judging trophy quality at the outer fringes gives 10x the edge, but not spotting game. I'll pick it up quicker at times due to the larger FOV. An no way am I packin' around a tripod unless I need to use a spotter. If you really need to reach out spotters are the way to go anyway.

10x has a small edge to glass with, but not much. 8.5 is more versatile over a wider range of uses and conditions IMO.

I would stay with the 42s over the 32s as well. Lose the weight somewhere else.

I own Swaros but I'd give the Ziess a look too. They rate very high on the comparisons on many different forums, birders are really into high end glass too....

11-Jan-15
Err on the side of power.....go with the 10x

13-Jan-15
Be aware that the used 2004 models were not Swarovision and HD technology.

13-Jan-15
Over the last 10 years I've used 10x42, 8.5x42 and 8x32. The 8x32s have become my favorite. I do a lot of glassing while hiking and standing and can see better with the 8x due to the lower magnification. The only time I miss the 10x is when I'm glassing while seated and have a steady rest.

14-Jan-15
i have used the 8, 10 , and the 12 powers in the swaros, and the difference btw the earlier SLC and the EL, now with the SLC HD its hard. I have a pair of 12x50 EL that I got new a year or so ago never hunted them waiting to get drawn and then the SLC HD come out in the 10x 42 and its a tough call to say which one I like better at this time. Sorry for adding to your confusion bc I am in the same boat now.

14-Jan-15
I have the 8x32 El's Swarovisions, and have used pretty much all of them.

I personally would recommend getting the swarovision glass, if your budget conscience, I highly recommend the previous generation of SLC HD's.

If I had to choose 1, it's be the 10x42 EL's or the 12x50's. (I've hunted with them both)

I do most of my long range glassing off a tripod. Trust me once you do it, you'll never go back to handheld. No matter what you pick, send your glass to Outdoorsmans and get a tripod mount.

I find my 8's lacking on big country hunts, but absolutely love them in the woods and smaller county.

14-Jan-15
There can be no doubt that 10's are better than 8's for glassing up animals in more open country.

But,to me that is only the start. And many times you are close enough to the truck/horse where you can get out your spotter or Big Eyes and take another look at the critter.

For the actual stalk I need small glasses that are crystal clear, light and easy to focus. If you have ever tried belly crawling with the larger 10's you know they are just too heavy and cumbersome to really be an asset to you.

And I find once I am within 100 yards or so I am really using my glasses to "re-locate" the animal or, more importantly to try and find the spoiler animal that you never saw in the first place.

Spotting is one thing, stalking is much more critical.

Bobinbend.

14-Jan-15
"If you have ever tried belly crawling with the larger 10's you know they are just too heavy and cumbersome to really be an asset to you"

Can't tell if serious.....

14-Jan-15
"If you have ever tried belly crawling with the larger 10's you know they are just too heavy and cumbersome..."

You'll never notice the DIFFERENCE in size or weight between an 8 X 32 and 10 X 42 glass of the same make when stalking or crawling. At least not with a quality harness. I sure don't.

15-Jan-15
I look at binoculars like clothes and put on whatever appears to be best for that outing. Just like dressing for the weather. That said if I only could have one it would the 10x42 as stated many times above. They stalk just fine hung around my neck under the arm or shoved inside the jacket. I don't like bino harnesses but many do.

28-Mar-15
if any of you guts has a pair of 8x32 el for $1000 I'll take um

28-Mar-15
I vote for 10x42

• Sitka Gear