Charlie Rehor 13-Jan-15
Fuzzy 13-Jan-15
Bou'bound 13-Jan-15
4406v 13-Jan-15
beyondmyken 14-Jan-15
lawdy 14-Jan-15
76aggie 24-Apr-15
12-Jan-15
Looking into a moose hunt in 2016. Have read a lot on this site and others about lost days due to weather. What geographic area, if any, has the most stable weather in late Sept/early Oct? Also, has anyone used Arluk Outfitters?

12-Jan-15
It's not a big island in the whole scheme of things. That time of year you won't get much difference in weather from one area to the other.

If it were later in the year...December, January, Feb etc. You may see differences between the Avalon Peninsula and the interior. But the areas you will hunt Moose and Caribou, in the fall, You won't see enough difference to worry about.

12-Jan-15
Plan on rain every day and if it doesn't count it a blessing. Probably will not rain all day just every day.

13-Jan-15
bb is correct! I can't see this being a factor in a decision as to where to hunt. (8 trips there)

13-Jan-15
Newfoundland is roughly the same size as the State of Virginia. The elevations don't vary much except in the coastal mountains, which are so rugged you likely won't be very high into them... so, as bb said already, the weather isn't gonna vary much by location, just by season and day

13-Jan-15
Lost days are not really that common on my 7 trips. bigger issue would be flight delays on fly in hunts. that could cost you a day, but once in camp you are going to hunt each day in all but hiurricane weather of which I have only seen once and lost a day and a half.

if you are worried about fly in days lost the further inland the less fog, but you really can't sweat that detail.

buy rain gear and go hunting.

13-Jan-15
The group in our camp the week before we were there lost 4-1/2 days to rain and fog. They killed 1 small bull the last evening. We lost 1-1/2 days and killed 3 for 4.

Plan on lots of rain/fog and hope for a few good days.

14-Jan-15
Dang. Someone was supposed to tell me about the hidden valley where it was always 25 degrees and sunny with a steady prevailing wind.

14-Jan-15
Our place is up on the great northern peninsula about 45 minutes from the Labrador ferry. Last summer we saw one evening of rain in 4 weeks. The summer before, it rained some everyday. Fish the straits every summer with a commercial fisherman and usually get hit with short squalls coming off Labrador even on sunny days. Weather shifts back and forth fast up there as the wind never stops, thankfully, as when it calms, the flies come out. So far the winter has been fairly mild up there. As of New Year, the ocean off our lot hadn't froze and only 6 inches of snow according to my friend up there.

24-Apr-15
I have hunted there twice and the first time we were fogged in for 5 days. On my second trip it rained almost every day but it was not enough to deter the hunting. Weather can always be a factor in that part of the world.

• Sitka Gear