cityhunter 23-Jan-15
PSUhoss 24-Jan-15
Chip T. 24-Jan-15
PSUhoss 24-Jan-15
B N A A guy 24-Jan-15
sticksender 24-Jan-15
21-Jan-15
2:32 PM LIVE from NJ*
Will be in the backyard stand by 3:15. Temp is 32 with no wind. Lite snow tonite so they may be moving. Looking for one of thee 130 plus bucks but the homeowner wants any deer for his friend Very little daytime movement past 3 weeks

21-Jan-15
3:12 PM LIVE from NJ*
In my tree with no wind at all. Our season runs till Feb 21 in my zone

21-Jan-15
Good luck Chip I keep saying I am done my zone open through end of January. Very nocturnal by me.

21-Jan-15
4:05 PM LIVE from NJ*
Great afternoon to be in a tree biut no movement

21-Jan-15
Good luck Chip! I'll be out Friday afternoon.

21-Jan-15
5:28 PM LIVE from NJ*
Drew a blank today. Will try again in a few days.

21-Jan-15
feb 21 wow crazy

21-Jan-15
Good for you to be hunting this time of year on one hand. On the other hand the fetus' that a doe would be carrying would be fairly formed by now. By February 21, they would be really far along.

In years past here in Pa I would try for a doe or two up until the end of our season in mid january. I quit hunting does that late a while ago, just not for me anymore. Getting old, I guess.

Good luck!

23-Jan-15
If you shoot them in oct. or in feb. it is the same result.

23-Jan-15
PSUhoss im with u

24-Jan-15
Ekman - please don't get me arong, I am well aware that the end result on the deer herd is exactly the same and I certainly do not have a problem with anyone hunting within the open seasons identified by their respective game commissions.

I was merely stating that the task of field dressing does at this late in the gestational stage of the fawn takes on a much more unpleasant tone for me.

24-Jan-15
PSU-I hear what you are saying. Shot a doe last Jan. and the 2 fetus unnerved me a bit. First time I ever encountered that situation. If I do shoot a doe I will make sure it is a female yearling.

24-Jan-15
Seems to me that I remember reading somewhere that about 60% of 6 month old fawns will be bred during the their first fall, so you still might be taking a chance on shooting a yearling doe.

Can anyone shed some light on those statistics?

24-Jan-15
Good luck Chip!!!

Scott

24-Jan-15
Man you guys who are still out there hunting are hard core!

I'd think it'd be hard to tell a yearling doe from an older doe at this stage of the season, since the yearlings are about 20 months old now. Fawns on the other hand, are about 8 months old and shouldn't be hard to ID based on size. They're not gonna be yearlings until May/June. My understanding somewhere around 40% of doe fawns will get pregnant. For yearlings it's more like 90%.

• Sitka Gear