Bou'bound 03-Feb-15
milnrick 03-Feb-15
CAVSCOUT 04-Feb-15
milnrick 04-Feb-15
milnrick 04-Feb-15
kellyharris 04-Feb-15
CAVSCOUT 04-Feb-15
25-Jan-15
I am going to Alberta to do some bear hunting this spring and was wondering what I would have to do to get my bear hide tanned in Canada, then shipped to me here in the U.S.. I think there is something that needs done to get it legally shipped to me from across the border that the U.S. fish and wildlife requires. I want to have it tanned their because I am planning on taking a few weeks to vacation on the way back and don't want it to spoil. Thank you

25-Jan-15
You need a CITES permit to ship a finished hide across the border and the taxiderminst will ship that..........if the hide is green you can bring it with just an export permit that the outfitter will provide.

At least that was the case a couple years ago.

25-Jan-15
I left mine in Alberta this past May because I shot one on the last night and would not have been frozen enough to make the trip flying the following morning.

If your outfitter uses salt it will be fine, if not leave it.

I did a rug, just the shipping and all the other taxes permits etc cost $550....that's in addition to the taxidermy.

Its supposed to be on the way now. I really did not have to do anything the taxi took care of the permits. Then used Talon Distribution for shipping. I should get it late next week.

26-Jan-15
Raw - no extra cost except the fee for any extra luggage. Taxi'd you pay through the nose unless you return and pick it up yourself as I understand. Ron Dare is a taxidermist and does work for many of his US clients but many of those are repeat clients that just pick up the bear the following season when hunting.

I ask Ron and his former guide Darren Ship who is also a taxi and they both were very willing to do the work and they both are very, very good taxidermists but they also both explained the relative hosing you get for shipping a tanned hide.

PM or email Ron and I am sure he will provide all the details.

26-Jan-15
Thank you everyone. I have a group hunting with me and they are flying into Edmonton. I am driving and will meet them there. So I am also thinking about taking a freezer and generator, then driving back with my hide and meat. Can I bring my friends bear meat back for them, or is that allowed? Is their some paper work that will allow me to bring other hunters meat and hides into the U.S.? Thanks again

28-Jan-15
I am an outfitter in Sask. Here is the way US Fish and Wildlife explained it to me.. If bringing back a fresh bear of your own all you need is your hunting li. You cannot bring back anyone else's bear or parts of without a CITIES permit. Which takes weeks sometimes months to get. if in doubt always call a US F&W officer. I had a client run into an issue 2 years ago. He shot a bear and only wanted to do a half body mount. We skinned it according only keeping the front portion of the hide. He also wanted to keep the hind feet which we removed from the remaining hide. F&W Seized the feet because they were to remain attached to the hide in transport. No one was charged , but made for some uncomfortable moments at the border. Whatever you do ... Do not transport any animal unless it was harvested by you and has your tag properly attached. Good Hunting!!!

28-Jan-15
PM sent.

29-Jan-15
Some of it just depends on which officer you get.

Few years ago, I brought my brothers bear hide and meat home. I had copies of his birth certificate hunting liscence, bear tag, and a tempary transfer of possesion note.

Officer just glanced at stuff and told us to have a good day.

29-Jan-15
Just answer all their questions in Spanish or Arabic and you should have no problems.

30-Jan-15
put the hide on like jacket, no one will tell you to take your coat off will they?

03-Feb-15
Not trying to high jack this thread, but can the meat and hide be shipped? What would the cost difference be opposed to paying for extra luggage on an airline?

03-Feb-15
CAVSCOUT

You can ship your meat and hide at the 'extra bag' rate if they don't exceed the designated weight (50#); the rates vary by Airline. We've done it several times in the past.

As Jeff said above, all you'll need is your hunting license. I do suggest that you be sure the meat/hide are froze and packaged so they don't leak when being handled or in-flight.

03-Feb-15
Milnrick, how much does the average hide weight?

03-Feb-15
rick's are not that heavy, but millie's weigh a ton.

just teasing rick.........well. it is true, but i am teasing.

03-Feb-15
Grant, that was a REAL GOOD ONE.... Millie will be laughing her tush off when she sees it.

You're limited to 50# per luggage item. You can get a hide and 'some meat' (think back straps) in a cooler and stay under 50#. When we've shipped meat or hides back we've done it in two separate coolers. Millie with the BIG COOLER (thanks again Bou) and mine in a smaller one.

I think a better, or more cost effective way to handle the process is to bring the meat back yourself and leave your trophy behind with a Taxidermist. The Taxidermist Millie and I use (as well as a bunch of Bowsiters) is based in New Brunswick. He's done our Saskatchewan and New Brunswick bears. We've salted and froze the hides, packed them in an ice chest and stuck them on a bus bound for New Brunswick for tanning and mounting.

While we've got an exceptional taxidermist for Deer, hogs and exotics, he had limited exposure to black bears. So, we opted to use a taxidermist who more-or-less specializes in black bears. It's paid off for us.

If you opt to ship meat and leave your trophy in Canada, you'll need to have your license (minus the bear tag) with you when you re-enter the country. Once home, you should send your license (or a copy of it) to your taxidermist - he'll need it for the CITES permits when the mount is ready to be shipped.

Hope this helps....

04-Feb-15
Milnrick who is your taxidermist in New Brunswick? What does he charge? Thanks Mark

04-Feb-15
Yes, we use Dale Robinson @ Tratton Run. His prices are extremely reasonable and vary with what you're having done. A lot of Bowsite folks and NB Outfitters use him.

I'll PM his contact info this evening (I'm traveling) you can call him And get a reading on pricing without any filters

04-Feb-15

04-Feb-15
Milnrick- are you gonna be traveling in Cincinnati area anytime soon?

04-Feb-15
Thanks Milnrick!

• Sitka Gear