Moultrie Mobile
Using some "F" words on Bowsite is OK !!
Hogs
Contributors to this thread:
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
elmer@laptop 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
Buffalo1 26-Jan-15
greenmountain 27-Jan-15
Zebrakiller 27-Jan-15
loesshillsarcher 27-Jan-15
Jack Harris 27-Jan-15
T-Rex 27-Jan-15
Eric B. 27-Jan-15
drycreek 27-Jan-15
Bigpizzaman 27-Jan-15
Bowfreak 27-Jan-15
Drahthaar 27-Jan-15
Clutch 27-Jan-15
26-Jan-15
Sometimes the use of “F” words on Bowsite is necessary. Here are some great examples:

The first “F” word is FUN

One of the things that I looked forward to when I retired was having fun. One of the best places to have fun is at the Dallas Safari Club convention that is held every January. Some 30,000 hunters and other liars converge on the Dallas Convention Center for four days. It is truly an awesome event which includes some 1800 vendors, educational seminars, silent and live auctions and banquets. The 2015 convention was no disappointment. It is a great time to visit with old friends and make new friends.

The second “F” word is FRIENDSHIP

At the 2015 convention I got to chat with several fellow Bowsiters who included Neil Summers and the crew from Bowhunting Safari Consultants also visit time with fellow Bowsiters Tim Metcalf (Bigpizzaman), Bert Stelly (Clutch) and Don Walston (drycreek) and his wife, Janie. I was the first Bowsiter that drycreek had ever met live- that was heavy responsibility for me to make a good first impression not only for myself, but for Bowsite. I hope I was successful.

The third “F” word is FIELDTEST

The DSC Convention is to the hunter what a prep rally is to a football game. If a hunter is not pumped up about hunting after attending the event he/she has no pulse. It is simply impossible to prevent the adrenaline flowing for hunting after being at the convention.

I recently purchased a 2015 Elite Synergy. I was anxious to see how the bow would perform. Setting a bow up and practicing is one thing, but putting it in the fire of an actual hunting situation is something else. My bow is set at 55# at 28 ½” draw. I am shooting a 485 grain arrow (total weight). My arrow is traveling 223 fps. The bow performed flawlessly. On a cold morning it is easy to draw and the “dwell factor” is unbelievable. A hog is an animal that never stands still and a herd of animal add to the difficulty of getting off a shot and avoiding hitting another animal in the group. I was able to hold my draw until I had the perfect shot set and then release.

I also wanted to test the difference of my proven performer 3-blade vented Woodsman Elite BH and a 2-blade vented VPA BH. I was able to book a pig hunt with Skylar Stark at Diamond C Bowhunting Ranch in Caddo, TX following the convention. I had hunted at this same venue about 2 ½ years ago and had had a great time and hunt.

Another fellow Bowsiter, Gordon Meyers (FlashZ28) joined me in Dallas on Sunday night following the DSC Convention. Gordon and I had hunted South Africa together in 2011, and had forged a friendship. He was enroute to the Texas hill country to visit some friends and to hunt for pigs there. Our routes and plans perfectly coordinated for a great reunion hunt.

We arrived at the Diamond C Ranch on Monday afternoon and Skylar took us on a ride just before dark. We saw an unbelievable number of animals and high quality animals. This was just another opportunity to get the adrenaline flowing for a hunt. Our quest was to each take 3 pigs in two days. Fortunately, Skylar was able to work us into his already booked schedule. We had to be gone by Thursday because he had a large group arriving on Thursday afternoon for a long weekend hunt.

Tuesday began with a perfectly beautiful sunny day- morning temps in the 40’s and rising to the 60’ during the day and a very light wind. When we returned to the camp around mid morning neither one of us had seen a pig, much less got a shot at one. Tuesday afternoon the tide turned and both Gordon and I scored with 2 hogs each.

By Wednesday morning the weather had turned much cooler and very windy. Fortunately, I scored on my 3rd hog at 7:45 AM. When we returned to camp at mid-morning Gordon was “hogless.” Skylar took Gordon out and they found some hogs bedded. Gordon put a spot and stalk on the hogs but as usual- “Murphy” was with Gordon. Just as he was approaching the bedded herd, the wind swirled and the hogs caught his scent. The hogs were startled and were up and running then turned back toward him. Gordon sighted in on the largest of the pig in the herd, placed a lead on the hog with his sights and released the arrow. The arrow hit the “boiler room” and it did not take long of the hog to expire. Gordon was using an Elite Energy 35 (62#), VAP shafts and Razor Trick BH’s. All of his shots were pass thrus.

Gordon told me that he had fulfilled his goals on the hunt- (1) to get another hog under his belt after several years (2) to take a spotted hog (3) to shoot a hog at night with his bow and (4) shoot a hog on a spot and stalk scenario.

I too had fulfilled my goals on the hunt- (1) to just have some fun with an animal I love to hunt (2) to test my new bow out and gain confidence in its performance and (3) to see the difference in the performance in the 3-blade Woodsman and the 2-blade VPA. I was equally satisfied with both BH’s with a slight lean toward the 2-blade for the lower bow poundage and for added penetration. Both arrow/BH set ups provided pass thru shots and (4) to get my three hogs in the allowable time- we both filled our package limits in 1 ½ days. Also, I experimented with both Smith’s Broadhead and Knife Sharpeners and leather stropping to both style BH’s. The experimentation proved to provide for super sharp BH’s and were even being sharp after passing thru filthy, gritty, wiry haired tough skinned hogs.

The fourth “F” word is FUTURE

I look forward with anticipation to using my proven equipment set up on future hunts and hunting with other members of the Bowsite family; and to also to return to the DSC Convention in January 2016.

Skylar Stark will make every effort to ensure a hunter has a fun hunt and an ice chest full of meat when he/she departs from Diamond C Bowhunting Ranch. The Diamond C Bowhunting Ranch is located about 70 miles due west of Fort Worth, TX.

26-Jan-15

Buffalo1's embedded Photo
Buffalo1 with Bowsiters Bigpizzaman and Clutch

26-Jan-15

No idea where this photo came from- It is not mine- Tks, Buffalo1

26-Jan-15

Buffalo1 with Bowsiter Drycreek and his wife, Janie

26-Jan-15

Gordon scored his first kill with a spotted pig an then killed a black hog in the darkness with the aid of his lazer sight

26-Jan-15

Gordon scored his third hog by hitting the "boiler room" on the run !!

26-Jan-15

Buffalo1 scores first kill with new bow. I named this pig "victim" (L). The second pig killed was a smaller balck pig I named "Dummy". It let its stomach control its brain and returned for another sampling of corn after Victim has just been shot !!(R)

26-Jan-15

"Trails End" was my third pig that fell to a 2-blade VPA earlyin the morning on the way to bed down for the day. The pig took the wrong route home.

26-Jan-15

The 2-blade VPA offered a great exit explosion to set up for a great blood trail.

26-Jan-15
What about flu flu and fieldpoint?

26-Jan-15

Another view of another blood covered rock with the 2-blade VPA BH

26-Jan-15

Solid hit and arrow path of the VPA head took out both lungs

26-Jan-15

Skylar's 13 week old jagd terrier is already trailing. She is going to be a good'un. She will be a great addition with Skylar's 8 1/2 yr. old rat terrier.

26-Jan-15

Two happy hunters - FlashZ28 and Buffalo1

26-Jan-15

The Elite Synergy is definitely a keeper bow! The picture of success !!

27-Jan-15
Oh oh. I have to use the "N" word. It appears bow siters are NORMAL citizens. That is true for much of the hunting population. Thank you for the pictures.

27-Jan-15
Flippin awesome!

27-Jan-15
very nice!

27-Jan-15
Freakin' good post Buffalo1!

27-Jan-15
Great post and congrats!

27-Jan-15
Nice !!

27-Jan-15
Great success story Greg ! I'm glad you enjoyed your hunt and you have a great bow ! My wife and I enjoyed meeting you and also enjoyed the DSC convention. So much stuff !

Good to hear also about Diamond C. I've heard good things about Skylar on TexasBowhunter, and now with confirmation, I may book a hunt. I really need an Axis on my wall and in my freezer ! How about the accommodations, 'cause that is what Janie will be wanting to know.

27-Jan-15
Couldn't agree more Mr. Duncan! Great catching up, show was spectacular, Elite is Awesome and the Hog hunting was Great! (Although Clutch, Forest, Treeman and I went to Oklahoma to hunt). Scott says Hello!

27-Jan-15
Cool thread Greg. Congrats on the hogs and the fellowship with Bowsiters.

27-Jan-15
Greg, glad you and gordan had a good hunt. Forrest

27-Jan-15
Buff 1, it was a pleasure meeting such an enthusiastic bow hunter-- I hope one day we can make a hunt together-- the show was great and I met a lot of interesting people--glad your bow and hog hunt worked out--

• Sitka Gear