Ambush 27-Jan-15
drycreek 27-Jan-15
Beendare 27-Jan-15
Jaquomo 27-Jan-15
HuntHard 27-Jan-15
Wood 29-Jan-15
skipmaster1 29-Jan-15
27-Jan-15
" He steps up on a rock broadside at 67 steep uphill. I draw back put my 60 on his heart and level up. This is what it all comes down to. At the release the arrow sails over his back. He doesnt move. I panic and take 1o yards off. Whack right in to the rock below him."

This is off Hunts semi live mountain goat hunt. (Great Thread). It could have been shorter if on of these shots had been made but the second is what ibwant to focus on...this is just a good example on a meaningful hunt..it could be any second shot where the animal stays put.

The question is what is your method for adjusting for a second shot?

27-Jan-15
Tak arrah from kwiver and plac in rest and on string. Compinsaate for the amount previusley missed on, draw bow and releese.

At least that's what I've always done in the past.

27-Jan-15
Miss the second time too. Been there, done that:-(

27-Jan-15
I would imagine that there is no "fix all" solution. It depends on if you/he miscalculated distance, over estimated how little the arrow would fall (in this case from 60 to 67) or if he made a poor shot. in the case above, its possible that his first shot was poor and that he pulled high. The second shot could have been dead on but he over adjusted for the first shot. Too many variable and not enough information to have a fixed rule to remedy the problem. The solution would likely change each time based on different variables.

I have a feeling you are going to impart some harebrained wisdom on us. I'm looking forward to hearing it.

27-Jan-15
The real question is what do you do when you are out of arrows?

27-Jan-15
Not much you can learn from the first shot if you don't trust it to be accurate. In most cases I trust my first shot, and if I get a goodfix on where the first arrow hit I simply reproduce the same sight picture,look at where the arrow was when it was even with the animal and see how it aligns in relation to the pin I used on the first shot and make the adjustment.

Yardage never crosses my mind. That is so much simpler than refiguring yards. A 2 inch high hit at 60 is a different amount of yards that a 2 inch high hit at 30, so that method can get complicated.

27-Jan-15
Also have to factor in the alertness of the animal after the shot. If first shot was at a relaxed animal and then he knows something is up after the arrow hits something in front or behind him then that can alter his reaction for the second shot. I guess it depends on type of animal as well.

27-Jan-15
Must be only those easy to kill Alabama animals that stick around for multiple shot opportunities. Most animals I shoot at are either dead or gone before I can even consider a second shot. Notable exception being elk.

27-Jan-15
"The question is what is your method for adjusting for a second shot?"

Kick myself in the butt for taking such a stupid shot for the first one -- then try to get in a better position (closer) for the second one.

Simple!!

DDD

27-Jan-15
"Yardage never crosses my mind. That is so much simpler than refiguring yards. A 2 inch high hit at 60 is a different amount of yards that a 2 inch high hit at 30, so that method can get complicated."

Well said Mr. Gump.

27-Jan-15
My best second shot is a well placed first one.

27-Jan-15
Several years ago, I scratched, scrambled and climbed into position to take a relaxed fifty yard shot at a standing, broadside billy on a steep mountain side.

The arrow passed the billy at perfect elevation and a few inches in front of his chest. The goat went around a big rock and came out about five yards higher, same distance away and facing the same way. I carefully duplicated the first shot with the same result.

The goat left and I went back to camp very happy that my shooting was so consistent even under difficult conditions.

PS: I know where I went wrong, but I can't hang that on the wall.

27-Jan-15
I normally throw down my bow, cuss, pull my sixgun and go to fannin' !

27-Jan-15
I can only think of one time I got a quality second shot....and it was 20+ years ago- don't jump on me for long shots as I don't take them anymore;

Elk hunt on OTC Co-Bull materializes across a canyon in the thick timber...I looked at him hard guessing 70 yds and shot. My arrow drilled the charley brown Xmas tree in front of him that was the only 1 1/2" wide obstruction I could have hit- otherwise a perfect shot. The bull had no idea what happened and as I counted him move back another 3 paces, I had been loading another arrow, stacked my longest 60 yd pin and shot him for 80 yds- drilled him dead center and we saw him drop after a short 30 yd trot.

27-Jan-15
Us skilled, next level callers just bring them closer for the second shot. I hit low on a big muley I'd called in, shot him through the front leg. I called him back in 10 yards closer and killed him with the second shot.

I've done it with elk, also, and a bear once when my first shot deflected off sagebrush and went low. I called him back too. Nothing to it. That's what "next level" is about.

27-Jan-15
TBM is; The Most Interesting Man in the World!

When he shoots and misses an animal with his bow and arrow the animal...

Fill it in guys.

Lets do a TBM style "stay thirsty my friends".

29-Jan-15
Probably not good for live animals but if you have mulligans in a 3d tourney.... hit high or low, don't adjust your sight. Just raise or lower your pin by the amount you're low or high.

29-Jan-15
If I know the range and missed. Then I simply screwed up, rushed the shot or whatever. My next shot I take how I meant to take my first.

• Sitka Gear