Trophy8 18-Mar-15
Jack Harris 18-Mar-15
bnt40 18-Mar-15
IAHUNTER 19-Mar-15
MathewsMan 20-Mar-15
AZBUGLER 06-Apr-15
Jack Harris 06-Apr-15
28-Jan-15
I have carefully arranged 12 deer mounts on family room wall over and around a 60" TV. My house is due for serious painting. Huge cathedral ceiling in that room. One buck over stone fireplace. Wood background is not an option- it's drywall. I want to see your background colors including any that did faux painting. Thanks!!! I am saying wood is not an option mainly because it just won't look right and also don't want that expense.

28-Jan-15

5 points's embedded Photo
Hey Jack....curious why wood is not an option. Drywall behind it doesn't matter.

Behind the barnwood is 1/2" OSB painted black to create the dark appearance through the cracks in the wood. This also gave me the ability to hang mounts anywhere I want. Sorry I couldn't get a better photo for you.

28-Jan-15

GhostBird's embedded Photo
GhostBird's embedded Photo
This is from the home of an outfitter... it's kind of a faux leather look. His wife painted it. It looks really nice!

28-Jan-15
Jack,

I will send you some picks from my home office / trophy room.

I went with a lighter colored wall and the mounts really pop.

Got the idea from Fin, Fur and Feather in chesterfield or Crosswicks. The entire inside of their cabin is white and the mounts look amazing.

28-Jan-15
Maroon or burgundy like 64's above is very rich looking and contrasts well with the deer!

28-Jan-15
When i remodeled my game room...i put OSB behind ever part of the walls...so I always have nice hardpoints to mount anything anyplace.

28-Jan-15
5 points... If you get time, take a few more pics of your barn wood and metal wall/ceilings. Like it!

28-Jan-15

Bear Track's embedded Photo
Bear Track's embedded Photo
If you're stuck on painting, I agree with Charlie. Those colors make your mount "Pop" off the wall. For myself, these wall are about to be filled with my mounts.

28-Jan-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
I know you're asking for paint color... but I like the old weathered barn board in my man cave.

28-Jan-15
Thanks guys so far really liking that faux leather look. Just for that one wall of course. I may put in a spotlight on each opposing wall as well. I do like the red or burgundy background as well have not ruled out. I know I am not doing stone or wood for sure - so it's gonna be paint all the way. Some really impressive rooms so far! I will take a pic later of what I am dealing with

28-Jan-15

mrjeffro's embedded Photo
mrjeffro's embedded Photo
Like others have said, have your wife pick the colors :). I wouldn't of thought the maroon would look good but what the heck do I know

28-Jan-15
Mike problem is it's not a man cave. It's family room connected to big open kitchen. I am sure at some point someone influential will win and say go build your man cave in basement and take all the heads except one with you. When that day comes - I do want old barn wood for sure. So far I think Ghostbird's pic winning me over

28-Jan-15

HuntingAdict's embedded Photo
HuntingAdict's embedded Photo
Just finishing up a very similar room, this photo of my new living room is taken from the kitchen but it is all basically open into one big space. The entry door give some perspective on the fireplace where my moose mount will soon hang. The wood walls are kind of trimmed out into even blocks so its easy to "frame" my other mounts in the individual blocks. I think it came out really nice so far, cant wait to get the TV and mounts up!

28-Jan-15

TREESTANDWOLF's MOBILE embedded Photo
TREESTANDWOLF's MOBILE embedded Photo

My wife and I struggled with the paint color. She kept going back to the store and finally settled on a custom color that looks like the color of " cut corn stalks" I'm very happy with her choice because under lighting, the mounts seem to stand out.

Good problem to have Jack.

28-Jan-15
5 points, love the barn tin ceiling. That is what I'm doing with my camp this spring. Barn tin on ceiling and also used for chair rail. Looks awesome, nice job.

DJ

28-Jan-15

blindgood's embedded Photo
blindgood's embedded Photo
My first attempt of adding a photo. So my girlfriend and I painted this room with 3 colors of paint. Go to a Sherwin Williams and they have a additive to make the paint somewhat transparent. Called rag painting. I added fireplace after the painting

28-Jan-15
My two cents - that last rag-painted (aka faux leather, distressed, etc) looks really good. Of course, the real fireplace hearth adds to it.

I also saw some man-cave post recently that had one trophy room with a lime-green background that looked great. When you think about it, what natural color do we associate these majestic creatures with when they are alive (which the awesome mounts recreate)? Some shade of green of course. I would have never in a million years have done maroon and seafoam, but that image looks very distinctive - almost museum-like.

28-Jan-15
I did a color that was similar to guacamole maybe a shade darker in the house I use to live in and really loved the color. Sorry no pictures.

28-Jan-15
Blindgood- That's what I am talking about. That's the look I am going for. Awesome!

28-Jan-15
Bowme2 and Straightshooter, Thanks. if you do a search for "Just a sneak peak at my room", it shows all of the photos of the room as it was being finished.

28-Jan-15

Rob in VT's embedded Photo
Rob in VT's embedded Photo
This is in our living room. Nothing I would have picked, the wife choose the color. It's kind of a mocha color. The deer hides actually look nice against it.

Good luck.

28-Jan-15
I love that color ghost bird my room is set up like that what is the tallest height we ate looking to paint our spare room like that

28-Jan-15

Gun's embedded Photo
Gun's embedded Photo
I've feel that walls in a light color make mounts stand out better. Off white, beige, light tan or green. My wife picked this out years ago too. It turned out a bit darker than I like but works.

28-Jan-15

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
These are from my new house in MT. Have yet to sleep there. Light tan color walls.

House still under construction when there were taken.

28-Jan-15

LKH's embedded Photo
LKH's embedded Photo
other end

29-Jan-15

Jack Harris's MOBILE embedded Photo
Jack Harris's MOBILE embedded Photo

Here is what I am working with. Thanks again for the feedback

29-Jan-15
Common theme... you guys have some nice places and you are a bunch of murderers! Very impressive

29-Jan-15
Jack, Jack, Jack...Hmmm

You have plenty of wall space. Don't give up on the corner idea as I used. Problem with cutting a tree section is that it has to be treated for insects before placing in your home. Mine were already treated and re-claimed logs from work.

Now with our high ceilings on the backside, IMO a floor to ceiling log would look awesome.

Jack, please don't get mad at me,BUT...its your house and its who your are...

29-Jan-15
Don't worry rob - the heads are staying! That's whwre the line gets drawn. Any woman worthy of me will have to understand I am bowhunting whitetail junky at heart. I am probably going to try the leather faux paint first and keep adding to that wall as shown.

29-Jan-15
Ok Jack...glad we cleared he air....lol

You really have a lot of options in that room.

Not a fan of the leather look on such a big wall, maybe just a paint change?

29-Jan-15

Jaquomo's embedded Photo
Jaquomo's embedded Photo
My wife picked the colors in our cabin. We alternated different shades of "brown" (Peanut butter, other odd names) on each wall or transition, since we have a great-room layout. Then one wall where the wood stove is has purple. I thought that was stupid, but it looks great and really compliments the 18th century roof tiles behind the wood stove.

I'm so glad I went with her suggestions - turned out really nice and unique, compliments the mounts. Here's one wall with the contrasting wall next to it.

The kitchen is aqua, which is perfect and a very nice contrast.

29-Jan-15
Jack is this a DIY paint job !!! go with neutral colors then maybe accent wall a darkercolor ! ceilings flat white. Im running a special for bowsiters lol lets rip up the carpet install nice 3inch wide tiger wood and new 5 inch base moldings !!!

29-Jan-15

Trophy8's embedded Photo
Trophy8's embedded Photo
Jack, here is the pic I showed you. With that high ceiling you could clear up wall space for your elk. :)

City, I'm sure you have a contact that could could get Jack a log pole say 15'?

29-Jan-15
yes i do its metal lol

29-Jan-15

cityhunter's embedded Photo
Jack during winter bow NJ

29-Jan-15
Lol City I let that buck go only a half rack. Rob I really do like that log pole too.

29-Jan-15

Ridge Runner's embedded Photo
We went with light green,seems to work well

29-Jan-15

Another pic

29-Jan-15

Jack chicks love deer heads on the wall !!!!NOT

But they love wood floors

29-Jan-15
Jack... A little paint to soften the mood, dim the lights, big pole....never notice the mounts! :)

29-Jan-15
City hunter I have to replace that carpet after the paint job. My lab pup hasn't ripped it up in a while so I am good to go. PM me if you can make a good proposal bi would love to put hardwood in there

30-Jan-15

Jack only problem with hardwood the dogs nails will scratch the new flooring

30-Jan-15
Dog nails don't scratch our wood-grain laminate floors. Looks great, no maintenance, and we have three dogs.

My wife doesn't hunt but she loves to look at mounts for some reason. The other night we were watching the news and she suddenly got up and moved to the other side of the room. I asked her why, and she said she wanted a different view of the red deer.mount that she couldn't see from where she was sitting.

30-Jan-15

gulfcoast's embedded Photo
This, aside from having a full time bird taxidermy studio, is my other chosen profession.

Hand painted trophy room and wildlife murals.

Its not faux leather but still cool.

30-Jan-15

Closeup.

30-Jan-15

In progress.

30-Jan-15

My taxidermy and my muralwork together. Houston area restaurant.

30-Jan-15

Sorry jack. Not trying to hijack your thread.

Just sayin you need murals. :)

30-Jan-15
gulf very nice work

30-Jan-15
Murals are awesome. I've seen a few rooms that had them and they looked great.

31-Jan-15
Gulfcoast - thanks for planting the seed. How would Melissa Bachman, Tiffany, Nicole Jones, Haley Heath, Julie Kreuter in camo bikini's, drawing a bow - look as a background?

31-Jan-15
Dont think id have a problem making that happen, jack.... do we really even have to have the camo bikinis ?? :D

All with the exception of Melissa. .. I've known her for years. And im even closer with her boyfriend whos land I hunt on in Illinois every year.

Ill do it for a generous bowsite only price of $50 per square foot. when do we start?

31-Jan-15

MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo

I went through several and this one seems to work really well with an eclectic array of game.

31-Jan-15

coke13's embedded Photo
coke13's embedded Photo

01-Feb-15

Mule Power's embedded Photo
Mule Power's embedded Photo
I like the light sage green like Ridgerunner has. Good contrast but not too light. Plus just the thought of sage reminds me of the western plains. I can almost smell it when I look at it.

Jack... if you'd shoot just a few more bucks the empty spots would be filled in and you wouldn't need any paint at all! lol

02-Feb-15
Neutral, but bold!

02-Feb-15
Gulf coat DYNAMITE....very cool. my two cents allot of these trophy room look to sterile for me they need some good art to break it up and give it character...

03-Feb-15
Mule that is a very tasty trophy room. If I every get a one I'm going to try a brown rag or sponge finish over a light green.

03-Feb-15
Wow, these are all great!!!!

We are re-doing our lower level right now. New paint, but nothing special like these.

Also new flooring being installed in March. Taking out carpet and wanted wood or tile; however, we have two labs and as said above they will scratch. We went with the new wood look vinyl tile which is pretty impervious to scratches. It really does look like wood. When it is all done, if it looks OK I will post a picture.

Again guys just awesome, both the finish of the rooms and the mounts!

03-Feb-15

Drnaln's embedded Photo
Drnaln's embedded Photo
Great rooms guys! My wife went with tan walls & white ceilings in our recent addition to match the rest of the house. We have 2 dogs & the Oak hardwood floors seem to be doing fine? David

03-Feb-15

Drnaln's embedded Photo
Drnaln's embedded Photo

03-Feb-15
Nice display you got there Drenln- how are the acoustics in that big room with no carpet in those floors? Looks like it could be an echo chamber?

03-Feb-15
Acoustics are poor! We still have to put some blinds up & some area rugs which should help! Got a couple more Mule Deer pedestal mounts coming which could help too! LOL David

04-Feb-15

MathewsMan's embedded Photo
Here is that Mexican Sand color in my room.

04-Feb-15

Another

04-Feb-15

I went with Stone and Barnwood that I did myself.

04-Feb-15
Jack I love the old barn wood look 5 points has! I think that would look great on your huge wall space with some strategically place lights! Do it! Do it!

04-Feb-15

CJE's embedded Photo
CJE's embedded Photo
Went through a few wall colors before I settled on this one.

04-Feb-15

Barnwood can be really hard to obtain. Red is not easy to get either.

If you mill it and clean it up it is not too bad to work with.

Lots of people do not properly clean it off mechanically and use insectisides and end up with bugs or spiders.

If you have a Brad Nailer and use a quality adhesive it is really easy to put up though.

04-Feb-15

I think it adds a quality that paint can't do.

Kind of fun weekend projects that once completed feel pretty rewarding as well.

04-Feb-15

MathewsMan, I like how your's looks. Brad nailer worked great and because of the 1/2" OSB behind the wood, I can hang mounts anywhere. Actual 2x4 split made the chair rail and use the tongue in groove loft floor vertically for the bottoms of the walls.

It is a lot of work to clean 110 year old barn wood. I couldn't wash it unless I let it dry for some time. So every piece was wire brushed on all sides then, air blown. Then inspected to make sure it was ready to go inside.

Barnwood should be easy to get if you are willing to travel. Barns are collapsing all over and people are burning them to get rid of them.

When I took this barn down, I had another given to me but didn't need it and, didn't have time to salvage it the right way. I like the rugged look when the room is done. Not an attack but, I cant stand paint with my mounts. My room was completely yellow including the ceiling when I bought the house and could not wait to get rid of it. Here is the latest addition to the family...

04-Feb-15
Reclaimed wood is much over this way when jack looks at the prices he will pass out !!

04-Feb-15

I had a few barns lined up and when I went back to salvage them the owners must have checked into the value, several times after getting permission they changed their minds.

I tore down 2 very old horse structures and the peak side of a 126 year old house that had been sun burnt with linseed oil for decades.

A ton of table saw work and squaring things up for my pattern but it was worth the effort in the end.

The Stone Work was also not easy...

05-Feb-15
Matthews Man, the addition of the same subject matter prints goes well with the mounts. I'm a Manzaneras fan myself! K

05-Feb-15

Ron Niziolek's embedded Photo
Ron Niziolek's embedded Photo
Similar color to Mule Power and Ridge Runner. It really compliments the mounts.

05-Feb-15
I remember the follow along thread for Matthewsman's room and it is one of my favorite trophy rooms. The different colors and textures really compliment the mounts well.

18-Mar-15

Jack Harris's embedded Photo
Well it's done. Had the whole interior of house painted - it was long overdue. Really happy with the colors for family room. From Benjamin Moore colors - "bar harbor" was the primary beige wall color used throughout the house. In this Great room - I used "Penny" below the chair rail... For the trophy wall - the first coat was regular rolled with Bar Harbor. Next coat was that richer "Penny" color - with a stippled roller... The final top coat was a few shades darker beige called "tan onion skin" also with a stippled roller.. Really like the way it came out.

18-Mar-15

Ok I went cheap on the track/spot lights... But worked out perfectly... This little fixture with 4 spot lights on a "track" fully articulate into any position and give off good light...Like $58 at Home Depot. You want lights on your mounts - highly recommend...

18-Mar-15

18-Mar-15
Looks good Jack! You have plenty of wall for that elk. :)

18-Mar-15

Close up of the faux paint... My guy did a great job overall - very happy with it... The entire house really settled since it was built 2002, lots of cracked seams and dry wall screws - a ton of prep-work. The two weeks vacation it would have taken me are two weeks I can hunt or fish this year.

18-Mar-15
Some great ideas.

Cheesehead I like that.

19-Mar-15
Great idea for a thread! Just moved my man cave into the finished basement and like the wall colors several of you have.

Also, I saw what I think is a polished concrete floor and wondered if you did that yourself Mathews Man?

Looks awesome!

20-Mar-15
No , our house has in floor radiant heat. Areas that do not have travertine tile were acid washed to make the floors charcoal or reddish brown.

06-Apr-15

AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
AZBUGLER's embedded Photo
I believe this is taupe.

06-Apr-15
Looks good AZBUGLER, this thread put out a TON of great ideas....

• Sitka Gear