Brotsky 29-Jan-15
Mark Watkins 29-Jan-15
massbay 29-Jan-15
bowhunter55 29-Jan-15
weekender21 01-Feb-15
Stekewood 01-Feb-15
bchunter 01-Feb-15
28-Jan-15
Currently I am using straight blazer vanes for my current set up. I just saw on the slick trick sight that I should not be using straight vanes.

What vane orientation would you recommend for those that shoot 'tricks and have similar set up? How much offset?

On the st site is says"Use helical or offset, not straight vanes"

I am shooting a Hoyt Spyder 30, Easton Axis 400, and 100 grain slick trick magnums.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

28-Jan-15
I use Slick Tricks with blazer vanes wirh a slight right offset and mine fly great. Are you sure yours are straight? Mine are so slight at first I thought they were straight.

28-Jan-15

AwHunt73's Link
I use the Blazer vanes put on with Bohning Helix fletching jig. works awesome and can have an arrow done in between beers.

28-Jan-15
You shouldn't be shooting straight vanes, regardless of what broadhead you are shooting!

28-Jan-15
I use 4" feathers on FMJ's with as much helical as I can with a JoJan fletcher for Slick Trick 100 Mag's but that's what I've always used with fixed blade heads.

28-Jan-15
you can get away with an offset if everything else is ok....however helical will serve you much better...

28-Jan-15
I shoot helical blazers and viper tricks. I don't have to retune from field points.

28-Jan-15
Woodsman +1

28-Jan-15
Helical blazers.

28-Jan-15
"You shouldn't be shooting straight vanes, regardless of what broadhead you are shooting!"

Amen! I've shot blazers since they came out and will use nothing but an Arizona E-Z Fletch Mini. They put a strong helical on a short, stiff vane such as blazers. Left or right doesn't matter as far as flight, but most prefer a right helical since they are less apt to loosen when impacting a target.

28-Jan-15
I'm the same as Woodman....field tips and vipers spot on out to 80-90 yards. This spring I'm going to try them at further distances.

28-Jan-15
Same as the others, blazers right helical fletched with az mini, shooting vipertrick and magnums

28-Jan-15
Flex fletch 360's steer any broadhead really well

29-Jan-15
I shoot CX maxima reds with 125gr trick mags and put my blazers on with the bohning helix fletch jig. It puts on a wicked right helical and shoots dam straight.

29-Jan-15
I have a little bit of a broadhead collection, say 50 different heads or so. With that, I let whoever I come across try them out if they are interested in buying them new...

A buddy came by recently and said he wanted to shoot "x" brand of broadhead. So we screwed it on and he shot it... missed it's mark by nearly a foot.

Tried another, missed. Then another, missed even worse.

All of these heads are "supposed" to shoot the same as FP's.

I looked at his arrows and realized they were straight fletched. Went inside, ripped them off, re-fletched with right helical and tried again...

They all hit dead on.

When it comes to Fixed Blade broadheads, use as much helical as your jig will allow and you will have very little tuning to do. Some heads require more than others, but if you are shooting a Slick Trick or Shuttle T there is no reason why they shouldn't hit the same. Several different Fixed Blades that I like will hit point on with both FP and FBBH.

Best of luck!

29-Jan-15
I'm shooting pretty much the same setup as you axis 400 and slick tricks I've had good luck using max hunters with as much helical as I can get on the thin shafts

29-Jan-15
+1 on the helical...my Hoyt Faktor 34 [60#] is shooting 125 Slick Trick Magnums on 29" CE Maxima Hunter 350s with 3" VaneTec V Max 4 vanes right-helical

29-Jan-15
100 gr Standard on 29" 340 FMJ's full right helical.

29-Jan-15
If some are shooting the injexion size arrows.....which can be more challenging to get a good helical on......I have had excellent results with AAE Mini which will put a nice 3 degree helical on any vane 2.1" or less.

I shoot slicks out to 100 yards (in practice:)) and my name is Mark

29-Jan-15
Thanks for the great advice. So right helical seems to be the ticket. I have a dozen factory wrapped arrows that I need to put vanes on. I was just online and saw the blazer stretch Fletcher which just slide on and they come with 3 degree right helical.

Has anyone used these?

29-Jan-15
I shoot the FMJ Injexion arrows with Fusion vanes set at 3 degree right helical and Slick Trick Mags. Most accurate combo I've ever shot. Total arrow weight is about 430grs.I use the AAE Mini also.

01-Feb-15
I use the Bohning Helix jig (puts a 3 degree right helical on vanes). It has worked well with all broadheads.

01-Feb-15
I used Blazers for years then discovered the Fusions which I greatly prefer. Right helical Bitzenberger jig.

01-Feb-15
I was told by my pro shop not to have a helical twist when using a WB I presently have blazer vanes and shoot slick trick mag and i am having a hard time getting groups, shooting 8-10 inch groups at 30 yards [new bow set up] I have been shooting for 30+ years and have never had so many problems getting tight groups.

• Sitka Gear