Rocky D 31-Jan-15
TurkeyBowMaster 31-Jan-15
mainbrdr 31-Jan-15
gil_wy 31-Jan-15
Owl 31-Jan-15
deerslayer 01-Feb-15
greenmountain 01-Feb-15
29-Jan-15
What do you guys think sets a Great Bowhunter apart from a good one? I think it is the pure determination to get it done coupled with the ability to actually close the deal when an opportunity presents itself. Quite a few great ones on here and the same guys seem to get it done over and over again every year on challenging hunts, what is the key?

29-Jan-15
Good bow hunters get lucky sometimes. Great bow hunters get lucky all the time! After all luck is when opportunity meets preparedness

29-Jan-15
I think the difference is some guys are bowhunters, and some guys hunt with a bow. The guys that seem to get it done all the time make it a year round passion and they put a ton of work into it. I like to fish in the winter/spring, hunt waterfowl, and do some other things so I don't think I can ever put the time in to get to the great category. Heck, I'll be happy if I ever achieve mediocre! Ha!

29-Jan-15
+ Brotski. Some "go bowhunting". For others it becomes a lifestyle, a driving passion.

Some people with a lot of money have fantastic trophy rooms and photo albums, lots of animals in the book, hunt a lot, but are only as good as their guide. For them, being fit enough keep up and accurate enough to close the deal are their skills. Despite the results, they are not great bowhunters.

Some of the "greatest" bowhunters are DIY guys you hear very little about. I know some of both, and respect both approaches. But I sometimes grind my teeth when listening to the latest tale of conquest from some who are the "always guided" types, because I've hunted with them and know the real story of their abilities.

29-Jan-15

29-Jan-15
I tend to agree with Lou on this one. I know guys who are great bow hunters (Lou being one of them), they tend to do it on thier own and for themselves, not the camera and not for fame. Most don't enter the animals in the book cause it does not matter to them. I watched a TV show once where they were hunting huge whitetails on some hi fence farm in illinos where they were decked out in head to toe camo sitting in a heated box blind in leather recliners, a huge non typlical came in and the guide said it was not 5 years old. After the deer left the guide changed his mind and said he thinks it was 5 and if they wanted they could go to the next field opening 1/4 mile away and kill him, the rather large hunter (shooter) agreed so away they went, after the 1/4 mile trek and all the heavy breathing he shoots the whopper and then turns to the camera and says "oh my God, that was the hardest hunt I have ever been on!"

Enough said

29-Jan-15

29-Jan-15
I have observed particularly on bowsite that those that want to be considered great already believe they are in their own mind. This leads to an insatiable appetite to have it validated by others. Very bad behavior. The true greats never self promote in any way shape or form. These are absolute truths.

29-Jan-15
Jaquomo, I agree, I think guys like Nick Muche reach the great level. He will kill the NA29 and I bet you will be able to count his guided hunts on one hand. Big Dan on elk. Blacktailbob just to name a couple for thought.

29-Jan-15
Some of those TV guys are an example of you're point Lou; Guys squirming around, ranging, etc with animals in shooting distances...it kills me!

Its quite possible some are better hunters than that....and its the process of filming the hunt that skews it...but some of the things they do with animals close I could never get away with on a lot of the public ground spots i hunt.

29-Jan-15
I personally know a couple of TV guys who I consider to be great bowhunters - Fred E. and Trevon Stoltzfus (Outback Outdoors). But they were great before they became TV hunters.

And take a guy like Michael Park - "Willieboat". Quiet, unassuming, humble, has killed 48 bull elk with a bow by his 47th birthday, including a 400" gross bull in AZ. All DIY, as far as I know. He's also a guide-level salmon fisherman. Just a great, all-around outdoorsman who could be a "famous bowhunter" if he wanted to self-promote. But you'll never hear of him.

29-Jan-15
The debate about guided vs non guided will go on forever.

What separates the good from the greats in bow hunting or any other aspect of life is the desire. There are very very few people who are simply born great at anything. The great work hard at their chosen hobby or profession. For bow hunters, this means they practice year round, they are knowledgeable and proficient with their equipment. They know the game they are after and put themselves in positions to succeed. Most of all, no matter if its bow hunting or anything in life, the Greats all have the ability to keep moving forward when life (or hunts/animals in this case) throw them a curve ball. Instead of using these obstacle's as excuses they use them as motivation to get up and work harder. The greats are up and out of camp before others are even out of their bunks and return long after the rest of camp is back and eating supper, regardless of the weather. The greats know that they can will themselves to make it happen.

"Everyone pities the weak, Jealousy has to be earned"

29-Jan-15
Lot's of good thoughts that I agree with. Desire, determination and persistence. A positive attitude goes a long ways as well.

29-Jan-15
Great post, njbuck.

I didn't mean to imply that great hunters don't go on guided hunts. Only that some who appear to be "great" by their trophy mounts and record book listings may not be all that.

In any endeavor, hunting, running, business, the great ones work harder, are more dedicated, sacrifice more, and push themselves harder to succeed. They believe they will succeed. And it's not unusual for someone who is "great" in one area to achieve uncommon success in other areas too. It's about the drive.

29-Jan-15
Its all about location. A guy that lives in an area with tons of trophy sized game will always appear to be a great hunter with his trophys but in reality he may not be good at all in lesser areas.

29-Jan-15
The great ones don't hunt in lesser areas. They will put themselves in areas of trophy game.

29-Jan-15
My thoughts pretty much parallel njbuck's. Whether it's bowhunting, or any other facet of life, IMO what separates the good from the great is a deep burning passion to succeed. Those that strive to succeed leave nothing to chance. Preparing for the hunt is as exciting as the hunt itself. Whether it's equipment, or knowledge of the animal and the land they live in, nothing is left to chance. "Good enough" is never good enough. There are many things hunters can't control, such as weather, hunting pressure, etc. What they CAN control is effort, preparation, and determination.

29-Jan-15
What is a good or great bowhunter?

That's a tough question because it can easily be influenced by state or income.

I would say someone who is always bringing in animals that are in the top 5% of the state, heavily involved with conservation groups and working with youth to learn about archery is a GREAT bowhunter.

Anyone who doesn't do the last 2 things can't be considered great in MY book. I just don't think someone is great just because they can kill big animals. They have to give something back.

29-Jan-15
What prevents me from being a great bowhunter is me trying to be a great husband and father.

29-Jan-15
Good answer 12yards..... no- GREAT answer

29-Jan-15
12 yards u are correct. Chuck Adams is a great! never had kids devoted his life to his hunting. And if u talk to Chuck he explains its all about dedication, time and more time in the field. Many will never reach there full potential as a hunter due to the fact of life getting in the way .

This isnt rocket science many make it sound a lot harder then it is .

29-Jan-15
+1 12 yards.

29-Jan-15
12 and Sage are correct, I know of one world renowned hunter who has a TV show and articles that had several children, he admitted in on of his articles that he regrets that not one of his adult children hunts because he was to busy chasing his dream and not passing on the passion! Takes allot to admit something like that. And if you are not enjoying it and having fun, take up golf!

29-Jan-15
James great pic its lot harder to be a great parent then a great hunter

29-Jan-15
Passion, drive, persistance. Come here to NewEngland as you will need all of it. Theirs a reason why no tv hunting shows are filmed here. I feel some of the greatest bowhunters are found here. If any doubters come give it a try.

29-Jan-15
I think many confuse great with opportunity. You can also challenge accomplishments vrs how the accomplishments were achieved.

If you blindfolded several greats and some unheard of bowhunters, dropped them off somewhere..anywhere..... you would probably be surprise who would kill comsistantly and who wouldn't. Funny thing is the greats would avoid the level playing field...they already know.

29-Jan-15
I just don't see any comparison between diy guys and guided guys.

One guy goes to a restaurant and gets a cook to prepare a meal and sits down and enjoys it...another prepares the meal himself and sits down and enjoys it. Both are the same after they sit down, however one can duplicate the meal without help and the other cannot.

30-Jan-15
TBM: your analysis is enlightening as always. You are like a moth coming to the light... You fail to mention the small detail that the individual who gets the meal cooked for him had to bring some cabbage out after the meal, akin to the guided hunter who pays for the hunt.

Back to subject--good hunters will get it done pretty consistently, and the great ones will do so as well and will be able to tell you exactly how and why as they know the game much better than anyone else.

30-Jan-15
TBM- there is no confusion between great and opportunity. I think you are missing the point that the greats put themselves in opportunities where there are more opportunity. If you did your experiment and put several greats and some unheard of people in the same spot, maybe in year one a "non great" may get the top animal, but year in year out the greats will come out on top. They will put the time into scouting, they will understand how the game use the area better and will hunt it smarter. They will be out earlier and stay later no matter the weather. They wont take a day off due to a party or event. The cream of the crop always rises to the top.

There is a reason that many of the greats don't hunt Alabama, Florida or the North East, it is because there aren't a ton of trohy class animals living there. They make it a priority to go hunt Illinios, Iowa and Kansas each year during the peak of the rut. They put as many of the variables in their favor as they possibly can. You can bet that if Barry Wensel went and hunted Alabama, Florida or the North East, the biggest deer in the area would be in trouble, no one can argue that.

If you hunted the same properties that they did would you have the same success? Maybe, maybe not, we will never know. The difference is they want it more. Its easy for me to sit here behind my computer and say that I would kill the same bucks that Lee Lakosky kills if I hunted the same properties. Well the simple fact is that he wanted it more than I did. Am I willing to pick up and move my life to Iowa, put everything I own into farm equipment and some land and try to make a life out of it so I can have a better opportunity to shoot big deer? For me the answer is no. Lee dropped everything to make his dream become a reality, he eats sleeps and breathes killing giant whitetail. Nothing right or wrong about it, its what he wants to do, he works hard to make his dream come true and the results speak for themselves.

Same could be said of Chuck Adams, he devoted his life to bowhunting, which for him meant no children. There is nothing wrong with this either, it is his choice.

One thing is certain, you know if you were an animal you wouldn't want either of those guys chasing you.

Another thing to remember is just cause you are on TV doesn't make you great.

The most important thing to remember is who cares if others think you are great. We should all be hunting for our own enjoyment, not for being compared to others. If that means you enjoy shooting does and spikes, have a blast and ill be the first person to congratulate you and crack a beer with you while hearing the story of the hunt. If someone has a problem with your style of hunting, well that is their problem.

30-Jan-15
lol

30-Jan-15
hell I'm just happy to take my skills from piss-poor to "good" :) I sure do enjoy it - must be doing something right.

30-Jan-15
Lots of guys are great with a single species, but few are great with multiple species.

30-Jan-15
Good is good enough... I don't have the time or resources to be great. I'm not sure I would even if I had the time.

I do know I've improved throughout the years to the point where I WILL have opportunities and can be selective.

I think everybody on this site is passionate about hunting and wants to improve to the point where success is achieved more often than not.

Good enough...

30-Jan-15
It all depends upon what your definition of what is great. Man, sometimes this site is to philosophical for me.

30-Jan-15
Do you all agree that its easier to be great when you have the monwy to go to all these trophy states? Some great ones dont so they have to take what they can get. I met one guy here in MA who bags a 140-150" every year at home and I consider him to be one of the greatest bowhunters in the country.

30-Jan-15
The truly great hunters are like the great coach referred to by Bum Phillips: "He can beat yours with his, and he can beat his with yours". "Great" isn't about big trophies, because those can be bought. It's about having the attributes njbuck describes.

You can drop a great hunter into a spot he's never hunted before, and it won't take long for him to figure it out. Some other guys may hunt that same spot for a lifetime and never figure it out. Or they might be experts on hunting whitetails in their little 80 acre woodlot, but that doesn't make them great, all-around bowhunters.

I remember a turkey hunt many years ago on heavily hunted public land. Spooky mountain Merriams, steep, tough terrain, very wary birds because of so many hunters. Calling was really difficult because of the pressure and nobody had killed one in any of the nearby camps. Chuck Adams showed up in the next camp over, climbed up the same mountain, quickly killed two birds, and was off to his next adventure while the rest of us continued to struggle.

To quote the great "cat hunter", William Jefferson Clinton, "It all depends on what the definition of 'is', is."

30-Jan-15
Spike, I agree that money sure helps when it comes to bagging trophy animals, but it isn't everything.

I am sure the guy you know who bags a 140"-150" every year in MA is an amazing animal, but I highly doubt that he is simply hunting the same tree stand on the same tree on the same property each and every year to get those bucks. I would bet almost anything that he is putting in considerable amounts of time scouting and finding these great bucks for your state, then he is getting access to hunt those properties, then he uses the experience and knowledge that he has gained over the years to hunt those bucks in the smarted way possible. He then probably only hunts when the conditions are perfect for his stands. He puts the odds in his favor as best as he can cause he has the passion for killing big bucks. I don't know who this guy is but I bet my guess on how he gets them year in and out isn't very off.

30-Jan-15
Jaquomo, I agree. Very few are great bowhunters. Lots of great deer hunters, turkey hunters and elk hunters but very few great BOWHUNTERS.

30-Jan-15
I'm with 12 yards. Among other things, it takes a great deal of time. And that time is hard to come by when you want to be the best husband and father possible, oh, and stay gainfully employed.

30-Jan-15
I know I'm not great and half the time I doubt I'm good but it's like sex .............I'm Happy!

30-Jan-15
Njbuck, you are correct on all you said. He said everywhere he goes guys look for his truck as they know if hes there then a big buck is in those woods. He showed me pic after pic of nice bucks. He kills all of them in the first week of bow season in October which is around the third week. He always takes the first week off as he wants to bag it before the rut starts and is on the move. In his opinion the rut is the worst time to hunt a certain buck. I wish I had more time to take in what he was teaching.

30-Jan-15
What makes a great bow hunter?

IMHO,

A great bow hunter recognizes his quarry puts his experience and knowledge to use in an attempt to harvest his game.

A great bow hunter is a person who can respect his quarry, appreciate the great outdoors and realize anything ethically hunted (true chase) and taken with a bow is truly a trophy.

A great bow hunter gets fulfilment and enjoyment from the hunt. His harvest is the icing on the cake.

A great bow hunter is determined by the example he exhibits to others and to him or herself. Not by the harvest.

Anyone can be a bow hunter.

However, everyone cannot be a "great" bow hunter.

30-Jan-15
The great bowhunters spend their time in the woods, not on the internet, and more than likely don't know they are great.

30-Jan-15
There's a lot to live up to if you want to be great by Bowsite standards. Some of the very best in the world reside here. I would say that only a few of them post regularly. I will never be great, and probably not even good, but might as well try.

In my opinion, to be a great bowhunter you must be "good" at every aspect of the hunt. Some are good at a few aspects, some even great at 1 or 2, but not many are good at everything. Passing on the passion and similar ideals are all good things and might compliment being a great bowhunter, but imo don't have anything to do with actually being one.

31-Jan-15
I do not think that you have to kill the NA 29 to be a great bowhunter.

Bowsite has great hunters that hunt maybe 3 to 5 species but focus on one species. A couple come to mind that focus on elk, mule deer, and whitetails.

You do not need to get to Africa to be a great hunter. I have walked into the woods guys that just put themselves in the right place to kill and kill often.

I have killed lots of different animals in a lot of different places but much of this would be from hunting hard, often, and with tremendous intensity. This does not make me a great hunter.

Some peeps make it look easy, some people may kill many of an animal but may never achieve greatness.

Some are pioneers, some hit everything they shoot at, and others it is a life long endeavor while executing a plan.

Then as with everything there are those special people that God has aligned them to their purpose and often their passion and they are the real cat's MEOW.

I can think of some that may fit this citeria: Ben Rogers Lee Fred Bear Paul Schaefer Guides Pinnel & Talifson Chuck Adams Bob Miranda Wensel

Their are some great hunters on Bowsite and some one day will be legends of the game but true greatness is intangible that is hard to determine where it shows up.

All the thoughts above are more than likely captured in the essence of greatness so I am not mean to detract from what has been said but just wanted to add my 2 cents to the discussion.

Oh by the way, I think Pat has achieved greatness with bowsite.

31-Jan-15

31-Jan-15
Six I's in 1 1/2 lines covering two totally different topics! Sigh!

31-Jan-15
Making mistakes and doing their best not to repeat them...

31-Jan-15
All the years I have been on BS I have read a lot of advice here that I have tried, and with some success. There are a lot of great bow hunters here that have helped me figure things out I never would have on my own. Lots of unsung heroes here, so thanks!

31-Jan-15
Another 12 yards echo

-Eric Thomas is a pastor and motivational speaker who repeatedly tells a story of a guy who desires to know the secret to being successful. He enlists the guidance of a wealthy man for some inside knowledge. The mentor tells him to meet him on the beach the following day. They convene on the beach as appointed and the mentor tells the neophyte to walk into the ocean up to his eyes.

After he comes out, his mentor asks him what he wanted more than anything else in the world when he was in the water. The guy says he wanted only to breathe. The mentor says, "When you want success as badly as you wanted to breathe in that ocean, than you will have it."

So that sums it up for me. If a person wants to be great at anything, they need that drive. I'll add there are as many paths to success as there are successful people. Some folks work to buy opportunity and some folks trade money for opportunity.

01-Feb-15
12 yards is the man, and nailed it on the head.

Hard to add much to what's been already said, but here's my 2 cents:

I believe that "great" can be a very broad definition. I think of guys who have a regular job/income, wife, kids, etc, but still get out and consistently kill a plethora of animals, year in and out, including some good ones. Then there's also those with a more disposable income that can afford better opportunities, but are still very consistent in there success, usually more than others with the same opps.

My brother is in the latter camp and pays to go to Illinois every year and hunt good property. Funny thing is though, that he is the most consistent killer out of all the many guys that come through the camp. Sure it's a pay to play game, but he's "great" at business which allows him to have better opportunities, which is a must for him as he has to maximize his time spent afield due to more obligations than most. Again though it isn't co-incidence that he is in the top couple guys who always notch their tag.

I, on the other hand, do not have the same income, but moved to Montana to better pursue my dreams. I have been much more successful than my brother on public land, and on a variety of game, but mainly that is due to where I live, and a big difference in my responsibilities vs his. I can honestly say he's great at what he does, and think he would say the same about me.

In the end, I really cling to something one of the bona fide "greats" here on BS said to me one time. To paraphrase "There's a lot more to being a good hunter than just woodsmanship" I totally concur.

01-Feb-15
I met a great hunter yesterday. He never stops hunting. He never takes over his limit of game. He also never brags about his trophies. I have seen his truck when I wouldn't dare to venture in the woods and I have seen him come out of the woods miles from his truck. Knowledge , passion, and persistence are the tools of a great hunter.

• Sitka Gear