bo hntr9 03-Feb-15
Fulldraw1972 03-Feb-15
Flumer 03-Feb-15
DL 03-Feb-15
milnrick 03-Feb-15
29-Jan-15

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
After the fall I had. I have plenty of venison in the freezer. Well I have been craving meatloaf for a month now. I haven't ever made it in my life. So I decided to give Google a try and see what was out there. I found a recipe that I thought was different so I gave it a try.

Its pretty simple. 1 1/2 lbs of ground venison, 1 tablespoon salt, 2 eggs, a cup of dried bread crumbs, 1/8 tablespoon pepper (I used a tablespoon), 1 8oz can of tomato sauce, 1 finely chopped up onion. Mix it all together and put in a loaf pan. Then take 2 tablespoons of white vinegar, 2 table spoons spicy brown mustard and 2 tablespoons brown sugar. Mix it together and pour on top. Bake for 70 minutes. Then enjoy.

It was so good I thought I would share with you guys. Maybe some of you have had it before. Maybe some will want to try it. The vinegar, spicy brown mustard and brown sugar gives it a different zing then ketchup on it.

29-Jan-15
Looks good! Steve Rinella on "Meateater" made a venison meatloaf tonight on his show that looked great. He put a layer of spinach and cheese in his. The rest was pretty similar to yours.

29-Jan-15
Rinella's looked real good. I made one the other nite and added salsa to the meat and it turned out great.

30-Jan-15
Venison meat loaf is the titties! My wife makes a mean batch of elk and deer loaf.

30-Jan-15
that's fairly common eating here.

I agree good stuff, mashed potatoes, brown gravy, and frozen corn from the garden, with plenty of butter. And a big slice of home made bread to mop up your plate.

30-Jan-15
Meat loaf is one of my favorites. The great thing about it is that you can season it however you want. But, the one thing I must have with my meatloaf is mashed potatoes and brown gravy. I also like cold meatloaf sandwiches if there is any leftover. I just put a couple of slices on bread with some mayo and cheddar cheese. Good stuff!

30-Jan-15
I am with you guys on the mashed potatoes and brown gravy. That was another first for me in making.

30-Jan-15
Instead of Tomato Sauce use salsa instead....comes out great

30-Jan-15
Leftover meat loaf is my favorite samitch next to a BLT with a fresh tomato from our garden.

30-Jan-15
my best meatloaf recipie is: 1 and 1/2 pounds venison burger, 1/2 pound lean pork sausage (wild boar if possible) 2 sleeves of saltine crackers, crumbled, one medium onion, peeled and diced, I small can Rotel diced tomatoes and chiles, 3 large whole eggs

mix meat, eggs, canned tomatoes/chiles (with the juice) and onion ...knead together well with hands and fold in the cracker crumbs, knead until well mixed, let stand refrigerated 2 to 24 hours (I like to prepare it the night before and bake for dinner next day) form into a loaf in a large thickwall steel, cast iron, stoneware, or pyrex loaf pan (coat the pan with cooking oil first) and bake in a pre heated oven at 325 hegrees for 90 minutes, brush on a thick layer of Heinz ketchup and turn oven up to 375 degrees for 20 minutes.

30-Jan-15
yea i do elk its awesome way better then store bought meat .. do garlic mashed with a sweet potatoe thrown in also sauteed spinach/kale in oil and garlic. I dont do a gravy they taste good but if its from can its junk plus loaded with fats.

30-Jan-15
Louis, I will have to give the garlic mashed potatoes a try. I do like them a lot.

30-Jan-15
Love meatloaf!! Try it with bear meat too - both venison and bear meat loafs are favorites in my house (wife enjoys them too!!).

30-Jan-15
I like to add a bit of liquid smoke to the mixture then top with BBQ sauce instead of ketchup. Turns out awesome!!

30-Jan-15
We do ours like this and they're fantastic:

Start with your meat loaf that has everything added that you like and ready to form/cook.

Flatten it out into a rectangle about an inch thick.

Place thinly sliced ham and thinly sliced fresh parmesian cheese across the top.

Roll it up from the long side so it's long and about as thick as your meatloaf would otherwise be if you formed it.

Seal the ends with meat so that no cheese or ham is exposed.

Cook as you normally would, but let it sit a bit after cooking.

Slice it the short way and serve. It's fantastic and the leftovers make great sandwiches.

30-Jan-15
The best meat loaf I have ever had or made is a recipe by Paul Prudhomme (Louisiana Cooking) from a book I bought in 1984. I'm pretty sure it's available online. "Cajun Meatloaf". I triple the cayenne and double the recipe. When I make it, I freeze one and we eat one within a day or two. It's good hot, cold, sandwiches; whatever. It's very spicy, especiallly with the cayenne tripled and a Cuisinart really cuts down the work. I like to make it on football Sundays while watching the games.

31-Jan-15
Thanks for the recipe, gonna make a moose loaf today. I agree, gotta have smashed spuds and gravy with it.

31-Jan-15

Aubs8's Link
Keadog's recommendation... look forward to trying it. Thanks. Mike

02-Feb-15
Idyllywild ...wow that sounds great!

03-Feb-15
Fulldraw-made the meatloaf as you described with some salsa and apple vinegar. Moose burger. It was great. Thanks for the inspiration.

03-Feb-15
Good to hear bo hntr9. I will have to try the salsa.

03-Feb-15
I made this last night, substituted tomato soup for the sauce, delicious! Had leftovers tonight.

03-Feb-15

DL's embedded Photo
DL's embedded Photo
Love meatloaf and this could only make it better.

03-Feb-15
We use a similar recipe, the main difference is the sauce we use to top it with.

We learned to make 'Fancy Sauce' from a Chef who worked at my Company's ranch. He mixed equal parts of Ketchup and Balsamic Vinegar, heated it up until it thickened. He spread it over the top of the loaf as it cooked and kept some in reserve to use as a sauce later.

It gave the meatloaf an extra kick that we'd never expected. I think I'll be making some this weekend.

• Sitka Gear