kellyharris 20-Feb-15
carcus 21-Feb-15
5575 23-Feb-15
Nick Muche 27-May-15
Brotsky 27-May-15
midwest 27-May-15
Reflex 27-May-15
20-Feb-15
My brother and I (both mid to late 50s) want to go on a bear hunt together. Originally we planned on a trip to Alaska, but health challenges do not make that a good idea at this time.

So, I suggested to Vic that we go on a Spring Bear hunt in Canada instead. He has only hunted for about 4 years. He lives in GA and flies up each year to deer hunt on my farm with me in MO. I live in eastern KS. This really is about spending more quality time together as we have really enjoyed the last few years together. But, we also want to have a good chance for success.

If things would work out we could go this year, but more than likely are planning for 2016. Late May would work best as I teach and am off for the last 2 weeks of May.

I will compound bow hunt, and Vic will probably use his new XBow, but he may take a rifle as well.

We have 2 options as he is a pilot and owns his own planes. He will fly to KS and then we will either drive or fly together to Canada. Obviously we will have to look at what the policy is regarding bringing firearms in. I have fished there regularly and know side arms are forbidden to bring in but don't know about rifles, just would think it is OK.

So, what Province (I tried Ontario on one of my fishing trips but they had just closed Spring Bear that year and I have never asked if it re-opened.)would you recommend that is in close proximity to KS? Any outfitters that stand out. What can we expect to pay once up there. Pelts and meat OK to bring back?

I know I can do the research here, but I figured it might be slow enough now to get some of you experienced bear hunters to help me out:) The thread about what to bring is helpful, we have Thermacells and I am used to being up there that time of the year; however, the bugs are not nearly as bad on the water as they are on land. I will link my brother to this thread so he can read it as well-hunting is a whole new world to him!

Thanks for any input folks!

20-Feb-15
If you want to go this spring, late May, check out the thread titled suddenly we have an opening. Great bowsite sponsor has cancellation opening this may in the late May time frame you have open!

20-Feb-15
Actual title of thread with Hunt this may is "all of a sudden we have an opening". Check it out as these cancellation hunts get filled fast. Bear Track has a great operation.

20-Feb-15
My one and only bear hunt was with Bear Track. Would go again in a heartbeat. No problems getting your hide and meat back. Ron will take care of everything. Food is out of this world, comfortable cabins, and our group of 4 all killed great bears in the first 3 days. We were all bear virgins.

Check the outfitter reports.

20-Feb-15
Check Bear Track's thread from earlier today. He's got 4 openings for late May.

20-Feb-15
I would recommend Ron and Jeannine at Bear Track Outfitters in Manitoba in a heartbeat. Great operation with high success rate and a chance at a big bear. Food and accommodations are excellent and are just genuinely good people. Check him out; he is a bowsite sponsor.

20-Feb-15
Went to bear track in 2012, going back June of this year.Outstanding hunt start to finish. You can't go wrong with Bear Track!

20-Feb-15
Habitat, one of our repeat guests from camp took 2 of those spots and is from near Kansas City. Car pool?

20-Feb-15
Send BEAR TRACK a PM!!!!

20-Feb-15
Thanks everyone! Thanks Kelly. I just called Ron and he was with a customer and asked if I would call him back in just a little. Sure will. Last I spoke with Vic today not sure I can get it together for both of us that quick. I will keep you posted.

BS is great, thanks again.

20-Feb-15
I'd go bear track, he has openings, huge bears get shot there, we have awesome bear hunting province wide, and some great outfitters!

20-Feb-15
Just spoke with Ron and his wife. Great people!

Also spoke with my brother. He will verify his schedule has enough flexibility and let me know tomorrow. We will book for this year, or at worse, next year.

Thanks guys!

20-Feb-15
Ron is great but his wife is AWESOME!!!!

JUST KIDDING BOTH are outstanding people! Great family values.

My wife and daughter both had the pleasure of breaking bread with them 3 years ago in Columbus Ohio.

20-Feb-15
Just sent them an email that it is a go for this year.

Thanks again everyone!

21-Feb-15
You will have a great time, looking forward to seeing the pics

23-Feb-15
If you want to go after big bears and also big colored bears I would highly recommend Kyle at Eagle Eye outfitting in western Alberta. They will get you taken care of!

Here's out hunt from last year.

http://forums.bowsite.com/tf/bgforums/thread.cfm?forum=6&threadid=431539&MESSAGES=91&FF=6

27-May-15

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
I wanted to thank everyone for the advice I was given on this thread. And a big THANKS to Kelly.

My brother and I booked for this week, and we had the best time together ever. He flew one of his planes from Atlanta to KS, and we drove my truck up there leaving about 10AM Saturday morning. Stayed in Winnipeg Saturday evening, and then on up to Bear Track Sunday morning.

We immediately knew we were given sound advice. The comfort level with Ron and Jeannine was instantaneous. Great people, excellent service, very competent guides. It was obvious they spend time and money managing bait sites. Out of 9 hunters, 7 had opportunities the first evening. 3 of us scored with one of the bears, harvested by Stan from IL, being very nice! My brother and I took bears that were smaller than average, but that we were completely happy with.

I was very nervous but made a nice double lunger and the bear travelled 70-80 yards before expiring. Coolest hunt ever for me and we will be going back!

27-May-15
Nice work!

What did Kelli do to deserve a big thanks? Lol

Glad you had fun, hope to see more pictures. Congrats on your bear!

27-May-15
Way to go guys! Congrats! I love it when a plan comes together!

27-May-15
Thanks Nick! Nice bear BTW with your stick bow. That was awesome!

Kelli e-mailed and spoke with me on the phone and was very open. I felt totally comfortable going with Bear Track because of his reputation here on BS and also because of how open he was answering my questions.

BS certainly is a great place to get sound advice, especially when one is totally inexperienced as we were.

Thanks also to the others who offered suggestions and guidance!

27-May-15
Nice job! Did you hunt the lake baits or atv?

27-May-15
ATV, but got to see the lake baits.

27-May-15
Awesome! Congrats on your bear. Glad you had a good time. Looking forward to heading up to hunt with Ron and Jeannine in a couple of weeks.

• Sitka Gear