bdfrd24v 23-Feb-15
bowbearman 24-Feb-15
Jack Harris 24-Feb-15
Ibow 25-Feb-15
Owl 25-Feb-15
SteveB 26-Feb-15
22-Feb-15

bdfrd24v's Link
Came across this video this morning. Seemed new or I hadn't come across it before. Pretty interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgzmwvqUz_g

22-Feb-15
About 10 years ago I was on the river near one of our bear baits and noticed ravens and eagles in the bush near the river. I went up to see what the commotion was about and could see the moss had been disturbed and the tip of a bear paw sticking out. I uncovered a 2 year old bear. Cool thing was the kill was warm and it was likely the bear responsible was nearby.

Was once sitting in a treestand with a guest bear hunting and there was chasing everywhere. There were 2 sows with cubs at the bait site but following them were 2 5 foot bears. At first I thought the younger boars were trying to breed the sows but then saw they were after the cubs that were born that same spring. One cub did not go up a tree quick enough with his siblings, was yanked down, killed instantly and carried away.

22-Feb-15
I got to witness a major battle between a blackie boar and a big sow, fighting over her cub. She eventually got away with the little guy but it was epic. Plenty of blood on the snow after they went their separate ways. The sounds were terrific too, something I'll never forget.

Part of nature, something few get to witness.

22-Feb-15
You guys must be mistaken. Everything in nature lives in perfect harmony.

22-Feb-15
I've just never witnessed it in the wild. I knew it happened. Thought it was a good trail cam video. Obviously everything is part of the food chain.

22-Feb-15
I do bear den all winter and find a some of the bears that had cubs last year have no yearlings ???? No one knows for sure what happed to the cubs ??

22-Feb-15
Death happens.

Had a fly-fishing guide in Alaska as at the famous Brook waterfall, the one where the brown stands atop, and grabs jumping salmon, when a cub fell in upstream.

It washed over the falls and the folks in the bleachers thought "daddy bear" was going out to save it. Nope.

"Welcome to the real world, folks," the guide yelled amid the freaking people. "it's not like Disney out here."

22-Feb-15
I was discussing bear population dynamics with a Canadian outfitter, and he mentioned a story a hunter of his had told him regarding a hunt in Kamchatka in areas that had and had reportedly not been hunted. This hunter noted that in the areas where hunting kept the boar:sow ratio down, the sows were more docile and they saw more cubs. In the areas that had not been hunted, the sows were more aggressive and the incidence of cubs was much lower. I believe this sort of thing happens much more than is documented.

23-Feb-15
Amazing

23-Feb-15

bowbearman's embedded Photo
bowbearman's embedded Photo
I took this picture up off the Yukon River in Alaska a in like 2009. I didnt see him kill the smaller bear but I watched him for a week and seen the smaller bear right after it was killed and then the next day this bear was eating it so I assume he killed it casue I don't know how else it would have died.

Aaron

23-Feb-15
You guys have it all wrong. Only people do bad things to others.

People suck.

23-Feb-15
That's pretty crazy bowbearman. I'd bet you are right that the larger bear there in your pic did kill that young one. Still awesome seeing nature at work.

24-Feb-15
He wouldn't leave it either when I took the pic we were in the boat about 30 yds away we seen him for several days in a row he didn't have a care in the world!!

Aaron

24-Feb-15
Haha I actually posted that video on the "bear protection" thread nearly a week ago.

25-Feb-15
Wow... pretty impressive. Have to admit, felt kind of bad for the little guy. Bummer but like the guide above said, "It's not like Disney out here."

25-Feb-15
Witnessed a huge boar booger a sow with cubs at a bait in Alberta. The chase lasted a long time. The sow was very combative and protective. The 2 cubs ran up trees, slid down and ran up numerous times relative to the conflict and noise between the 2 adults.

At the end, the sow made what I can only call a "unique" vocalization, the cubs climbed to upper reaches of their trees (much, much higher than they had before) and the sow and boar walked off together almost soundlessly. The cubs stayed in the trees until it turned dark and I left. The big bears did not return while I was in the stand. No kidding, it seemed like she gave in and told the kids to go play video games while she gave peace to Bluto.

26-Feb-15
In BC moose hunting I watched a boar slowly coming in from few hundred yards away up river and knew it would pass me soon. When it didn't I went looking for it and scared it off a fresh kill - it has just then killed a yearling cub while I was waiting. I felt kind of bad actually.

• Sitka Gear