huntingbob 20-Mar-15
Ace 20-Mar-15
Ace 20-Mar-15
midwest 20-Mar-15
Mad_Angler 27-Apr-15
24-Feb-15

Kevin from Wisconsin's MOBILE embedded Photo
Kevin from Wisconsin's MOBILE embedded Photo

I just finished up my first batch of corned venison.

It is super tasty and very easy to make.

One week in a brine in the refrigerator and then simmered on the stove for 4 hours.

http://honest-food.net/2015/01/12/corned-venison-recipe/

just need to go get some sauerkraut..

24-Feb-15
I corn at least a few roasts every year. It is excellent!

24-Feb-15
I corned an elk sirloin tip roast for a game dinner recently. Corned it for a week then the crock pot for eight hours Didn't last long.

24-Feb-15
Love it. Will do a big elk roast here shortly for St. Pat's. I do my brining in the pot from the crock pot in the fridge for s few days first, then rinse and right back into the same pot on the heat. Some cabbage and some hot mustard. Whoo baby! Prepare to fart!

24-Feb-15
Wow, thanks for this, looks and sounds delicious.

24-Feb-15
Time for some reubens!

24-Feb-15
I make some a few times a year,but I cook it in the pressure cooker.

24-Feb-15
Kevin what cut is that looks great Lewis

24-Feb-15
I just boned out one of the back legs.

I should have made this years ago. So good!

24-Feb-15
Did you take out the sinew real close Lewis

24-Feb-15
Lewis -

No. According to the recipe the sinews and connective tissues are softened over the long simmer time.

I haven't found a piece yet that wasn't fork tender.

Kevin

24-Feb-15
Now you really have my attention Lewis

24-Feb-15
do the same w/brine in fridge,but also pressure cook it,melts in your mouth.

24-Feb-15
Dang, I was expecting to see a pile of yellow. LOL

24-Feb-15
A little smoke and make pastrami!

24-Feb-15
This is great news. I had asked about this last year and never got any recipes. Thanks !!!!!

24-Feb-15
Great stuff Kevin. I used the same recipe to corn a big moose roast a few weeks ago. Corned moose specials, Reubens, and corned moose hash and it was gone in no time. I've made a bunch of recipes from that site and all of them have been excellent!

25-Feb-15
Comes out great. I corn a small barrel full each spring.

Instead of boiling the corned venison try steaming it.....

25-Feb-15
My wife just loves it!! So do I!

25-Feb-15
Always heard the term, "corned beef," etc. but why is it called corned? If this is just one of those things we take for granted with no reasoning behind it, just let me know and I will find something else to wonder about. But usually if something has a name like this, it is due to the process of getting it to the end product, and I was just wondering. Seems like a better name would be pickled venison, or brine - whatever.

Oh well, it is a cold February day with nothing much to do but try to make a few dollars for the upcoming spring hunting and fishing seasons and ponder life's mysteries.

25-Feb-15
Todd,

I couldn't find the article I read on it so I am paraphrasing..

In the old English they would use large grains of salt "corns" to brine this dish. Hence the term Corning.

25-Feb-15
I figured it was because it's made with peppercorns.

25-Feb-15
x 2 Midwest....made Elk Pastrami once. Awesome.

25-Feb-15
Thanks Kevin, makes sense.

25-Feb-15
I have a good recipe for corned venison, but I haven't made it in years. I will be now after reading this thread. Thank You, bro. As far as the sinew goes, don't worry about it at all. A lot of folks think you have to remove all of it or your steak won't taste right, which is the farthest thing from the truth. If you make a roast with the sirloin tip, which I call the "football", this chunk of meat is full of sinew. When you eat the roast, you don't even know the sinew is there, and eat it. Venison fat, on the other hand, is not good. Remove every bit you see.

27-Feb-15
Hey TrophyGame Tags, would you please post your recipe as well?

27-Feb-15
Hey TrophyGame Tags, would you please post your recipe as well?

27-Feb-15
I have a chunk of whitetail and some moose soaking right now, so in about 5 days I will see what I think of the recipe. Can't wait!

27-Feb-15
Roasts thawing as I type. Will start brining this weekend. Thanks for the recipe.

27-Feb-15
lol..I laugh out loud, seriously, every time I read that venison fat is "nasty" or "doesn't taste good"

27-Feb-15
You guys use the Instacure. Looked at grocery store today and they didn't have it.

27-Feb-15
Blind good,

I picked mine up at farm and fleet.

27-Feb-15
OK Thanks

27-Feb-15
I didn't have any but the jerky cure I had has sodium nitrate in it so I added some of that.........I never use recipes any way so why start now!

27-Feb-15
I got my instacure on ebay. This is the recipe I use http://honest-food.net/2015/01/12/corned-venison-recipe/

28-Feb-15
If you can't find Instacure perhaps your grocery store has Morton Tender Quick, a meat cure as well,...that's what my corning recipe calls for. It's a combination of sodium nitrate and sodium nitrite.

Corned Venison * 8 cups water, divided * 6 tablespoons Morton Tender Quick * 1/2 cup brown sugar * 4 1/2 teaspoons pickling spice * 1 tablespoon garlic powder * 3-5 pounds venison roast

1.Bring 2 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan. Stir in the Tender Quick, brown sugar, pickling spice, and garlic powder; stir until dissolved then remove from the heat. Pour 6 cups of cold water into a crock pot and stir in the spice mixture. Place the venison into the brine, cover and refrigerate.

2. Leave the venison in the refrigerator to brine for 5 days, turning the meat over every day.

3. To cook, rinse the meat well, discard the brine mixture, rinse crock pot, put back in crock pot and cover with water. Cook for ~8 hours.

28-Feb-15
Great idea. Started my corned elk roast yesterday. Five days to go can't wait to try it with cabbage.

07-Mar-15
Pulled mine out of brine on Thursday, rinsed and simmered. Tested some late. Made sandwiches today.

This recipe is a home run!

07-Mar-15
Mine was great also. All that tried it loved it

07-Mar-15
good info. Is it overly salty???

08-Mar-15
Not at all davebow.

08-Mar-15
Salty? Not at all. Perfect IMHO. I just rinsed meat off when I pulled from brine, before I started boiling.

08-Mar-15
No not salty at all.

I finally just made a Reuben. It was really good and so easy to make.

I'm kicking myself for not doing this years ago.

09-Mar-15
If you taste it and think its salty change your cooking/simmering water more then once. I think adding vegetables is supposed to draw more out also.

But no one that tried it mentioned to salty

10-Mar-15
Can you corn venison with the bone in?

11-Mar-15
I never tried pickled venison but I had an old girl friend who claimed she loved dilled doe.

11-Mar-15
Gene...damn :)

11-Mar-15
Damn Gene that gotta chuckle Lewis

11-Mar-15
I don't care who you are, that is funny!

11-Mar-15
I didn't mean that as a joke. I have some shoulder and arm roasts with the bone in and wondered if I could corn them without deboning.

11-Mar-15
Pecks Camp we were laughing at Gene Wensel. I'd remove the bone. Gene's girlfriend apparently wouldn't

12-Mar-15
LOL! now THERE'S a recipe.... heheheheh.... made my day...

19-Mar-15
I just did a deboned deer hind quarter for 30 people on St.Pat's Day. It was awesome. The people that love venison thought it was great. The people who NEVER eat venison did not know until after dinner....all of them raved about it. Then I told them! Pretty funny looks but it was delicious sooooo!I used this recipe and cooked in a Nesco for 8 hours at 250.I actually doubled the brine recipe because it was a lot of meat. BTW: I was damn nervous while it was corning and cooking with that MANY PEOPLE COMING OVER BUT IT WAS AWESOME!

20-Mar-15
Made my first corned venison from elk roast last week. It was excellent. my new favorite elk recipe. Thanks to the guy who started this thread.

20-Mar-15
Can anyone tell me the outcome of the deer Proscuitto ham? Bob.

20-Mar-15
Bob, I was wondering the same thing.

Maybe someone here remembers the name of the thread.

20-Mar-15

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

Ace's Link
I use the Recipe from AmazingRibs.com (at link). I got my Prague powder #1 at Williams Sonoma.

I've made it with Moose brisket and a few other cuts, it's all good. You can leave it in the Brine for about as long as you want to, I had one soaking for almost 2 months and it was fine.

BTW, here is what that site says about why it's called "Corned":

Corned beef has no corn. OK, maybe the steer ate some corn, but no corn is harmed in the process of corning beef. Actually, to be precise, corn was the old British name for grain before corn on the cob was discovered in North America and usurped the name. "A corn of salt" was as common an expression as a "grain of salt" is today. So corned beef is really just another name for salted beef.

20-Mar-15

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo
It usually goes fast when I make it.

20-Mar-15

midwest's Link
Never did hear the end of the prosciutto project...here's the thread.

27-Apr-15

Mad_Angler's Link
I used the amazing ribs recipe for goose corned beef and goose pastrami. It was defintely amazing.

I highly recommend...

• Sitka Gear