killinstuff 27-Feb-15
LC Archer 27-Feb-15
Jeff Durnell 28-Feb-15
Tonybear61 28-Feb-15
Crazy8s 28-Feb-15
Bou'bound 01-Mar-15
warthog 01-Mar-15
25-Feb-15
I honor the game that I take with my version of the European custom of giving the animal a "last bite" of food. In the European custom an evergreen branch is placed in the animals mouth and another is dipped it to the animals blood. That evergreen branch is then wore in the hunters hat.

In my version, I don't always use an evergreen branch. In the late fall early winter some thing green can be hard to find in the hard woods. So I use ferns, acorns, leaves, grass and so on. I then place it in the animals mouth, take both hands and press the mouth closed and say thank you to the animal.

I have done this in front of other hunters, some have made fun of me others have stated that wanted to start doing the same thing.

So, how do you honor the animals that you take?

25-Feb-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo

25-Feb-15
By eating it.

25-Feb-15

and also a thank you prayer.

My best, Paul

25-Feb-15
I mount and eat the bucks. I eat the does. All without fist pumping and no "smoked 'em" either. I do take a moment - for my knees to stop shaking so I can get down from tree.

25-Feb-15
I pretty much use Paul's routine.

25-Feb-15
I thank the good Lord ever day for all the food I have whether harvested by my hands or bought at the store.

I have lived in 3rd world countries and seen how lucky we really are to have easy access to food.

When I am lucky to harvest game I always say a little prayer.

I am a happy, very extrovert guy so my celebrations do include fist pumps, hugs and high 5s as well.

25-Feb-15
+2 with Paul's routine.

I might also give thanks that I am blessed to live in a country where we are still "free" to pursue our passions, and also that I am blessed with physical health and breath to do what I love to do.

25-Feb-15
I take my hat off, thank God for the chance to take part in this amazing activity and for the meat that I will put to use.

25-Feb-15
Kill them as cleanly, humanely, and respectfully as possible (because these creatures thrive year-round in an environment that would kill 99% of humans in just a couple of days). I also say a prayer of thanks to the Creator of these amazing creatures, and then I retrieve all the meat possible and process it in such a way that it doesn't have to be choked down and is actually enjoyed. Lastly, if it's a trophy to me, I have its beauty permanently immortalized on my wall for others to appreciate in the years to come.

25-Feb-15
Although I don't use the word honor, I do my best to make a swift kill, then say a Prayer of Thanks to the Good Lord above for the animal and the memories. Then I do the same thing Paul does...enjoy every bite!

25-Feb-15
Thank you, God!

25-Feb-15
Mostly same as above.

A prayer , European ritual , a promise to the animal that I will use his body , to make my body stronger. And when he returns from the taxidermist , I never ever place a hat or sunglasses on their heads......no cigars in their mouths and no ornaments from their antlers and horns . That just doesn't sit well with me.

25-Feb-15
I look at them and my thoughts are how beautiful they are and silently thank them for their sacrifice.

25-Feb-15
Give thanks. After that it's mostly about what I don't do. I don't sit on the animal, or demean it in any way.

25-Feb-15
On recovery I kneel down beside it and give a prayer of thanks for the opportunity, and then I thank the animal for giving its life to feed my family. I know that sounds corny but I firmly believe in the spiritual concept of the circle of life.

Then I care for the meat to the best of my ability and enjoy every bite.

25-Feb-15
I thank the Lord for His blessing's. I then proceed to use it to feed my wife, myself, and my 3 small children.

The highest purpose an animal can fulfill is to feed a family.

25-Feb-15

stick n string's embedded Photo
stick n string's embedded Photo
Sage buffalo x2 with the exception of living in a third world country at some point, i never did that.

My turkeys usually end up with the fan, beard n spurs accompanied by a picture. WT bucks, euro mount i do myself, or try... All of them nourish my family, proudly and thankfully.

25-Feb-15
I post photos all over the Internet. Not as much as the Harris fellas but close. :)

25-Feb-15
I don't revere animals. I thank the Good Lord above for his blessings in my life allowing me to get out and do the thing I love most.

Then I make sure for as quick/humane of a kill as possible, and make sure the meat doesn't go to waste whether or not I personally eat it (usually it's me doing the eating as I'm selfish lol). Used to mount most everything, now it's mainly skulls.

25-Feb-15
I'm with Tembry I do not revere an animal either.

God has placed them here for me to hold dominance over.

I do thank God daily for everything I have.

25-Feb-15
I normally violently pelvic thrust while pulling both of my clenched fists in like opening a drawer. I do this by yelling "who's your daddy!". :o

In the event I don't do that I normally thank God and start with the meat preparation process.

25-Feb-15
BOOOYAHHH!!

25-Feb-15
I thank the Lord and then eat them. The antlers from the bucks are normally mounted in the European fashion. The bigger ones get a shoulder mount, but I havent done that since 2009. It's gonna have to take a buck in the 150's or better for that to happen.

I don't revere them either.

25-Feb-15
By being a really good shot

25-Feb-15
Hey Rick why u gotta put Kelly down like that? :)

25-Feb-15
Bowfreak....that made me LOL!

25-Feb-15
Bowfreak that made me laugh!

Pretty much what Paul, Jamico :^), Ki-ke, wyobullshooter and others have already said.

I don't honor the animal per se, rather I honor God and thank Him for the opportunity to live free, live healthy, live to hunt, and provide for my family.

25-Feb-15
He gave me his best and so I will give him mine with a ride on my hood through town laying on the horn at all four stoplights

25-Feb-15
yer killin me, Steve...LOL

25-Feb-15
By thanking it for it's life and then by taking care of it from field to the freezer.

25-Feb-15

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo

25-Feb-15

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
By eating as much as possible.

25-Feb-15

LINK's embedded Photo
LINK's embedded Photo
I don't really honor the coyotes I kill. Sorry for the gun.

25-Feb-15
Genesis is playing "above the rim" again!

25-Feb-15
We practice the letzebissen, or, last bite, as well. We don't go through the entire ritual but we place the evergreen branch in the mouth and say a prayer of thanks with our hand on the animal. We never let any go to waste and we bless it at the dinner table. Paladin

25-Feb-15
If you have ever seen Ray Lewis' pre-game genuflections, you have a gallery seat to my post-shot routine. There's strutting, gliding, hip shaking, chest pounding and screaming.

Seriously, I thank God. I never "thank" the animal. I believe that to be the height of insult. As if it died to do me a favor.

25-Feb-15
I do thank God as well. I don't know why that you think that thanking the animal is the "height of insult". But to each their own.

I'm not judging anyone here but I have been in awe of big game before.

I have a deep respect for the animals that I hunt.

25-Feb-15
I eat 'em. Good luck to you guys this upcoming year.

25-Feb-15
Its obvious Bowfreak is from Kentucky!!!!!

25-Feb-15
We all have a deep respect for the animals we hunt. How we honor them might be different but, the respect is there whether we do as old customs or not.

For me, I think the Good Lord above for the ability to be there and have the ability to take the animal and give thanks and praise for the bounty he has provided. Then I clean and care for the meat and eat it. Where I once again think him for it all. God Bless

25-Feb-15
I could maybe "honor" a buck if I hunted him for several years hard .... something like that.

I have an elk, a pronghorn, 6 whitetails, a sailfish and 2 bass mounted ... they're my reminders of each animal hunt/catch but I remember the ones I don't mount too

25-Feb-15
WV Steel force,

If someone killed you, knelt over you and thanked you for dying scant moments after your last breath, wouldn't that really, really make you mad? Maybe it's me. I believe it to be an aberration of all creation.

Thank God. Be grateful. However, the critter did not live for you. He lived for his purpose(s) and you took his life irrespective of his will. "Thanking him" minimizes his existence. Almost trivializes it.

25-Feb-15
Embry, well said.

I do however, thank the animal. Though they were placed here by God for us, i do appreciate the animal, it's will and ability to stay alive in the wild and for providing protein for my family.

25-Feb-15
No high fives, no fist bumps, no "I SMOKED HIM!", no juvenile dances or jumping up and down. I rarely even take pictures. I try to treat the animal respect for the fact that it has given its life to help sustain me and my family and we never, ever waste a single edible morsel.

25-Feb-15
My wife pounds the hell out of the steaks before frying.

25-Feb-15
Couple pats on the deerly departed, a quick "Thank you", and punch the tag. Not much more involved than that.

25-Feb-15
Yeah, Paul beat me to my answer! I do thank them for letting their guard down!

25-Feb-15
Native Americans who believed in the circle of life believed animals deserved respect for giving their life to sustain that of the hunter, and thanked the animal for that.

Personally I don't believe God cares whether a human kills an animal, any more than He cares about who wins a football game. So thanking Him for enabling you to kill another of His creatures smacks of arrogance, IMO.

But to each his own.

25-Feb-15
Lmao at bowfreak!

26-Feb-15
I believe in Montana and Wisconsin it is illegal to say thank you for your game prior to it being tagged. Just an FYI.

I usually just say a prayer of thank you to the one who created us both.

26-Feb-15
The first thing I do when I come upon my kill is to say a prayer of thanks to God for the gift I was just given because that's exactly what it is.

Then I do my level best to properly care for that gift and to make it into food. I figure this is not only talking about being grateful for the gift but also ACTING on it. This not only honors my words to God but to the animal also. It's the least I can do!

"Hunt hard,

Kill Swiftly,

Waste Nothing,

Offer No Apologies"

26-Feb-15
Lou, how dare you trivialize the role God plays in NFL football games.

26-Feb-15
God loves Tom Brady for impregnating Bridget Moynahan out of wedlock, then leaving her to raise the baby herself so he could marry Gisele Bunchen, and has rewarded him for it.

That's why the Pats won the Superbowl with Brady's magnificent performance, and why God convinced Pete Carroll to throw the ball down there.

26-Feb-15
Actually Jaquomo brings up a good point. God does not care about what animals we kill, shoes we wear or what the Kardashian's do. He is ONLY concerned with bringing glory to himself. Jesus spoke of what the greatest commandant was and God doesn't hold himself to a lesser standard.

I do need to add one caveat though....I am pretty sure God is a Kentucky fan. :)

26-Feb-15
God doesn't care about football or hunting. Scripture does however talk about taking delight in the lord and he will give you the desires of your heart. So if God wants to bless me with a huge bull I have no doubt he's capable. I'm sure God typically stays out of hunting and leaves that up the the hunting gods. You know past hunting legends that God appoints to decide whose turn it is to succeed or fail. : ). I thank God for the opportunity and capability to do what I love. The harvest I attribute to my hard efforts and a bit of luck and I thank the animal by not wasting it.

26-Feb-15
Kill with one shot ! One shot one kill ! Practice with my archery equipment all year and kill efficiently .

26-Feb-15
Honoring something you just killed has always seemed hypocritcal to me

26-Feb-15
I don't think of this as honoring the animal, or God or myself:

I slow down and spend some time thinking about what I've taken from the animal and from nature. I think about the interdependency of all life, and how death sustains life every single day. I always remember to deeply appreciate the animal, nature, and what I will get from this kill. I do my best to care for whatever I take from the animal, be it hide, horn, meat or anything. I remember to be awed by the opportunity and never take it for granted.

I also chew slowly with my eyes closed.

26-Feb-15
Thank the good Lord always. Take a pic. Then eat what I just killed. I also usually mount good bucks I kill.

26-Feb-15
Now Bowfreak, that sounded like you are dryhumpin' 'em!

26-Feb-15
ha ha....yeah....we love the deer so much we have to kill them.

26-Feb-15
any animal I manage to kill is a total screw up at being an animal, so no special kudos is given. (kidding of course, I thank God for ALL my blessings, EVERY day)

26-Feb-15
I think how you react to the moment depends on your belief system.

Not to get all religious on the thread but God DOES care when you take an animal or anything else that you would consider a blessing from Him.

It talks about thanking Him in the scriptures for all that you have been given.

So yes, when I kill an animal God does want to hear a quick thanks of appreciation for the blessing.

That said, to EACH their own. Whatever your case, enjoy that delicious meat!

26-Feb-15
Like the OP! place food in its mouth and thank it for its life

MikeC

26-Feb-15
Thank the Lord in all things, so that means taking of an animal, too. If you don't believe in God you don't need to concern yourself with what He does or does not "care" about, but that doesn't mean you have to belittle or be condescending toward those who do. Anyway, the question was how do you honor THE GAME, and not how do you honor God. My answer was I honor the game by giving it a quick "Thank You", no sense in elaborating or getting all touchy feely. It's an animal and I'm gonna eat it, plain and simple.

26-Feb-15
I eat them.

26-Feb-15
"Not to get all religious on the thread but God DOES care when you take an animal or anything else that you would consider a blessing from Him"

God's chief concern is being exalted. If killing an animal causes you to proclaim His greatness it is a good thing. This is not debatable but we can debate all day long whether he it makes Him happy when you kill an animal. I tend to think he doesn't care....just like He doesn't care if the Lakers ever win another game.

26-Feb-15
"any animal I manage to kill is a total screw up at being an animal, so no special kudos is given."

"I normally violently pelvic thrust while pulling both of my clenched fists in like opening a drawer. I do this by yelling "who's your daddy!"

Both too funny to not repeat. With all due respect of course.

26-Feb-15
Owl,

It would not make me mad....I would be dead.

26-Feb-15
I take a moment and thank the animal for it's great sacrifice......

Then I rip it's guts out, tie a rope around it's neck and front legs, tie that to a four wheeler and drag it a couple of hundred yards through the woods, throw it up into the back of my truck and drive home where I skin it, cut it up, grind and mix with pork to make sausage. Come to think of it, I've never thanked the pig for it's contribution to my sausage mix. Does that make me a hypocrite?

26-Feb-15

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo

26-Feb-15
The greatest gift given to man is free will...how each individual employs that gift is, obviously, up to that individual. Some choose wisely, some do not.

I read of tribes in old africa who offered apologies to the animal for the rather rude behavior of taking it's life, then thanking it for providing food, tools, clothing, what have you for the betterment of his family. Can't really argue with that.

Now obviously today we are not survival dependant upon the kill. That said, I do like venison and it can help offset the grocery bill. But...when one adds up the average cost we incur in harvesting all that "free meat", it would exceed the tab in the finest of restaurants...lol.

Me... I DO respect the animal...give thanks...and savor each bite.

26-Feb-15
WV Steel, the idea of it. It's a hypothetical.

As mentioned before, to each his own.

26-Feb-15
I am Cree indian and after each kill I remind myself that we are all paart of life and death and someday I will hel fertilize the grass for the deer!

26-Feb-15
I tag itm, drag it, then butcher it up to enjoy the meals it'll provide. I respect an animal for what it is but that's about it

26-Feb-15
I thank the Almighty Creator for His providence.

26-Feb-15
I honor the ones I let walk and live. The ones I kill I use against their will. let's not make this killing thing something it is not.

26-Feb-15
I take nice pictures to honor the animal. And I enjoy the yummy meat provided from the animal. It feeds our family.

26-Feb-15
sage buffalo and bowfreak x2!

27-Feb-15
Shug I need to make a visit soon before that's gone.

27-Feb-15
"...when one adds up the average cost we incur in harvesting all that "free meat", it would exceed the tab in the finest of restaurants..."

Not for me. The only added cost for me is the license and tags. The gas isn't that much and I'd burn it anyway if I stayed home. Food for camp works the opposite. I eat pretty much the same things I eat at home but while hunting and enjoying the outdoor life for several weeks straight, I actually eat less than if I stayed home. No processing fees because I do it myself.

Well ... maybe my beer and whiskey bill is a bit more, but that's it. :0)

27-Feb-15
Just wondering here. Do the people that say they honor the animals that they kill by eating them, never killed something they didn't eat? Or are the other animals, that we typically not eat, not respected/honored? Just a thought that accured to me while reading this.

27-Feb-15
"On recovery I kneel down beside it and give a prayer of thanks for the opportunity, and then I thank the animal for giving its life to feed my family. I know that sounds corny but I firmly believe in the spiritual concept of the circle of life. Then I care for the meat to the best of my ability and enjoy every bite. "

+1 on this one. I taught my kids this very early in life. We kneel next to the animal and say a prayer thanking God and then apologizing to and thanking the animal.

27-Feb-15

SteveB's embedded Photo
SteveB's embedded Photo
I don't really honor the animal, but rather I respect it by taking care of properly and being sincerely thankful for the opportunity to kill it and eat it. Here is an example of "honoring" a 2014 archery buck! I'm not sure which is more beautiful, the rack or the steak!

27-Feb-15
Now you can't eat it unless it's Kosher?

I try to give thanks with any meal. The cow or chicken or pig that I eat was no less a life than any deer or elk or what have you. I do not separate killing anything for food into categories, be it hunting or in the meats section and don't think (for the most part) any ritual was performed when it was killed. I'm good with that.

Seriously doubt you will find any spiritual forgiveness from a dead animal that you just killed, or anything that was killed for you.

If it makes a person feel better about killing his own food by performing some man made thought up ritual after they killed something.... honestly, the whole point is about easing your conscious, nothing to do with the dead animal. While I don't see anything wrong, it's dead, you killed it, it's yours to do whatever you want with it,.... just see no point to it either.

I'm far from any semblance of a good Christian... but try to give thanks for things that go my way (and not to complain too much for those that don't). My food (that I killed it myself or someone else did for me) my health.... and yeah, even for this last Super Bowl..... heheheheh....

27-Feb-15
I hunt wilderness areas, so I sit down to savor the moment and get ready for a mile or two, or three drag. The fun is over. I hare hunted today with my beagle and had the hare stop about 20 yards from me. I was 2 miles from my truck and after consideration and the fact it was near zero, I let him go. Nice snowshoe out with just my dog on a leash.

27-Feb-15
I invite my kills to dinner. Its the polite thing to do.

27-Feb-15
Animals were meant for eatin and wearin. Never could understand hanging dead heads and body parts on a wall as a reminder of a life taken but to each their own. I like the hunt, the kill is the end of the hunt. Honoring a dead animal? Is that to make you feel better about taking life? But again, to each their own.

27-Feb-15

LC Archer's Link
If I earned an animal the way these hunters did, I'd certainly give the animal thanks for giving it's life.

As hunters, we have a strong connection with the animals we pursue. I've spent a great deal of effort and time pursuing animals with an arrow, as I'm sure everyone here has as well. I can assure you I'm unapologetically thankful for every one. Dave

28-Feb-15
I'm a naturalist and don't believe in a god/creator or spirits and such, so don't 'pray for prey' or thank 'him' or 'them'... not that there's anything wrong with that :^)

I do however respect my prey in life and death... mostly for my own peace of mind I suppose. In life by working to minimize their suffering by my hand, by forgoing unnecessary aids, methods, and technology that has advanced faster than they can evolve to evade it, and by making decisions as a natural predator/hunter/gatherer rather than in a competitive way, an emotional way, a managerial way, or with skewed industry influenced values. I don't view any animal as 'a trophy'.

After death I use every bit of them I can find good uses for... from brains to dew claws. There's no bragging, rituals, pictures, scoring, buck pools, etc. Generally, other than those consuming it, nobody knows when I kill.

28-Feb-15
A prayer to St. Hubertus (the patron St. of the hunt) and the evergreen ritual. One of the deer, one for my hat. Also routine sharing of the venison (steaks, chops, burger and sticks) even with non-hunters, or a few anti-hunters. Converted many that way once they see how good the venison is and the respect you show for proper game handling after the hunt is over.

28-Feb-15
I eat it

01-Mar-15
I have heard that cannibals use the same response when asked how they "honor" the things they kill...............they eat it.

how would you feel if you were the result of a cannibal encounter.........amoung other things hopefully you would at least feel honored.

01-Mar-15
eat all of it.

• Sitka Gear