kellyharris 26-Feb-15
cityhunter 26-Feb-15
Cheesehead Mike 27-Feb-15
Chuckster 27-Feb-15
INbowdude 01-Mar-15
26-Feb-15

riverrigger's embedded Photo
riverrigger's embedded Photo
I bought this deer cart several years ago and i finnaly bent one of the wheels. The only replacement wheels you can buy now days have a 3/4 axle hole in the wheel. Mine is a 20 inch wheel but only fits on a 5/8 inch axle. Also, it is hard rubber and does not have air. If anyone knows where i might be able to find a spare, i would appreciate the info. Thanks.

26-Feb-15
Watch Craigslist. I bought a new one last year with the dual wheels for not much more than the price of two new wheels. Also put a notice on the various hunting forum classifieds.

26-Feb-15
Bicycle front wheels?

26-Feb-15
Try Northern. I redid a cart for some one but went to a 3/4" axle for more strenght

26-Feb-15
best game cart hands down. i have put mine through hell

26-Feb-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
Jeff,

Fleet Farm/Farm & Fleet, Menards, Tractor Supply, Northern Tool, etc. all should have the wheels you need.

Here's a photo of a cart I built over 20 years ago. I finally trashed one set of wheels hauling elk out of the mountains in Idaho and Montana and replaced them a few years ago.

OkieJ, most bicycle wheels don't have heavy enough spokes and won't work with a 5/8" axle.

26-Feb-15

If you want to upgrade to heavier wheels with a 3/4" axle just get a section of pipe that the 3/4" axle will fit inside of and clamp it to the bottom of your cart or the existing axle like in my photo.

26-Feb-15

Here's a photo of my cart folded up where you can see the clamped on axle tube pipe better.

26-Feb-15

After I trashed my first set of wheels I was looking for some more durable wheels/tires that would hold up better in rough mountain terrain.

I found these solid wheels with solid rubber yellow tires on clearance at Tractor Supply. They don't have as much clearance since they're smaller diameter but they'll never bend.

These wheels take a 3/4" axle and my axle tube is big enough to use either the 5/8" or 3/4" axle and the little bit of slop with the 5/8" axle doesn't matter.

26-Feb-15

Here's what 4 1/2 miles in the Montana mountains with over 250 pounds of elk meat did to my original cart wheels ;^)

26-Feb-15
Pacific Outdoors (Madison Wi.)imports the game hauler for Cabela's. They have all the parts at 1/2 the price.Check there web

26-Feb-15
Motionsavers.com

26-Feb-15
Instead of metal spoked bicycle tires why dont you use nylon rim tires for BMX bicycles?

They will last a lifetime.

26-Feb-15
mike great pic ! i broke one with a illinois deer

27-Feb-15
kelly,

I thought about the BMX rims but didn't know if they would work with a 5/8" axle...

Thanks cityhunter, that was a pretty rough trip out and I ended up packing the rest of the way on my back..

27-Feb-15
I have the exact same rickshaw as the OP but before using it I made a "triangle" piece of sheet metal to protect legs and other body parts from going through and getting stuck in the spokes. Just something to consider.

01-Mar-15
Thanks for sharing this Mike. I don't have the thin wire mesh between the big aluminium rungs but that's going to be an improvement I make on mine.

• Sitka Gear