wyobullshooter 26-Feb-15
Ylpmin 26-Feb-15
NoWiser 26-Feb-15
TreeWalker 26-Feb-15
wyliecoyote 26-Feb-15
'Ike' (Phone) 26-Feb-15
pirogue 26-Feb-15
26-Feb-15
I seem to always be confused about something on the Wyoming draw. Lots of guys on another thread state to have drawn the Gen. elk tag as a NR with 0 points...I did not with .5 of a point (4 of us with 2 PPs)...the 2015 draw odds table shows that anyone with less than 1 PP did not get a tag??, i.e. 0% successful. What am I not getting here?? is it that all the posts were guys with the "Special Draw"....and, I read lots of talk re: last years draw about many got the tag after the initial draw because of outfitter returned tags..if that is true, when does that happen (or more importantly, do I still have a chance or should I buy the Idaho tag now??)

Joe, confused in Cali.

26-Feb-15
Joe, If you're not in the max point pool, you're in the random with everyone else, regardless of number of points.

26-Feb-15
Nick, that statement is kinda deceiving.

If you're not in the preference point round with everyone else, then you're in the random with everyone else.

With 0 or 0.5 points, you were in the random round. You needed 1 point to have a shot at a preference point tag, and 1.5 to be a lock.

wyliecoyote, you guys had about a 20% chance to draw and it wouldn't have made a difference if all 4 of you had 0 points.

Going out on a limb here as I'd need to see this year's stats, but next year, you 4 will almost assuredly draw with 1.5 points between the 4 of you.

26-Feb-15
Joe, if you don't draw in the PP draw, you're automatically entered in the random draw, where PP's go out the window.

My son Casey drew his GEN license in the regular draw with zero points. There's no way he drew in the PP draw, but he had the same chance as everyone else in the random draw. He was one of the fortunate one's and beat the odds.

26-Feb-15
In the past that tag could be drawn most of the time with no PP. I think the hunt'n fool and like resources have made the GEN tag a little more difficult to draw. Even with 1 preference point it has gone to 40%.

26-Feb-15
We didn't draw with 1 PP. Next year we'll be a lock with 2, though.

You used to be able to draw the tag about 3 out of 5 years. Soon it will be once every 3 years.

26-Feb-15
The trend has been for NR to get fewer tags in western big game draws and to have the cost increase in those tags increase at a faster percentage than Residents.

Wyoming legislature has considered proposals to reduce the NR tags and to shift what percentage of tags is in the Regular vs. Special (higher cost) bucket.

Drawing a General tag may very well be closer to a "once a decade" event for NRs when the dust settles over the next couple of years.

Hunt why you can.

26-Feb-15
OK, great info...thanks everyone..

Joe

26-Feb-15
I'm totally lost....Lol

26-Feb-15
Last year, I drew GEN with 0 pts. This year, I did not draw.

• Sitka Gear