Ambush 25-Feb-19
IdyllwildArcher 25-Feb-19
Junior 25-Feb-19
Junior 25-Feb-19
Ambush 25-Feb-19
27-Feb-15
How many acres does one need . any info thanks

27-Feb-15
Click on the link and scroll down to the top of page 4. They are not transferable outside the family, regardless of whether you are a resident or NR landowner.

https://wgfd.wyo.gov/web2011/imgs/QRDocs/WGFD15_APPPACKET.pdf

27-Feb-15
I'm pretty sure minimum acreage is 160. What determines eligibility for a tag is "animal days" on the property. And yes only transferrable to immediate family.

27-Feb-15
Once you have acreage, a biologist or warden will go out on request and basically determine animal use days from droppings, and their historical knowledge of the property.

27-Feb-15
May be cheaper to marry a Wyoming gal. Sorry lou I couldn't resist!

27-Feb-15
are they limited to that property or is it a unit wide tag?

27-Feb-15
Sounds like it's time for some elk track shoes and a gunny sack full of elk poop.

27-Feb-15
Greg is correct about the 160 acres and there has to be at least 2000 animal hours use for the species you want the tag for. No more than one full price tag and one reduced price tag can be obtained for that 160 acres and that's why some break their acreage up and put chunks in different names to draw more tags. The Carter family at TenSleep did that and then got caught guiding hunters that were using their family tags. The thing that started it was a guy on the coast that got turned in and he had shot a huge bull and they tagged it with a family cow tag. That went to Federal Court in Cheyenne for violations of the Lacey Act a couple years ago.

27-Feb-15
WY does landowner tags right.

27-Feb-15
ok who has 161 acres for sale :>with elk on it !!

27-Feb-15
dpat, the tags are unit wide not just for your land. Wyoming does treat their landowners good.

27-Feb-15
My brother and I are looking for property and plan on pulling the trigger within the next few years. We wanted a ranch anyways, but are going to shop till we find the right place that includes some LO tags. We're focusing our search in NM, but WY, OR, and CO are on the list.

The problem in WY, though, is that it's not as easy to get tags as it is in NM. The size of the ranch that we'd need (320 acres) to split up that then has elk and deer on it would be a big investment if it didn't end up qualifying.

In NM, you can find the ranches that already have the tags allotted much easier than you can in WY.

The other nice thing about NM is that we could still put in for the draw and if we drew, could use the LO tags for friends and family if they didn't draw as well.

28-Feb-15
LOL WapitiBob!

28-Feb-15
Ike how much u think it would set up back

28-Feb-15
Cityhunter, I was looking for the heck of it in New Mexico a 160 acre place with a livable trailer in unit 15 and 1 elk tag per year it said over the counter deer tags for $198,000. That's a lot of out of state hunts for the next 25 years.

28-Feb-15
Dpat that is but at least u have something to sell

28-Feb-15
And something to live on.

And an investment.

And a place to go if the SHTF.

And a place to vacation.

We're looking for the right place and have a wide price range depending on the quality of what we find. We're being patient.

It's very easy to spend 200k, but there are some incredible places that would be worth the 7 digit price tag.

We want a place that's higher in elevation than most want and also want a place that is out there in BFE. Those things help get the price down. But we want two tags at least and that means more property which means more money.

We saw a place that was 1.2m that would have been an absolute dream. Had a house on it, perfect location, right up against ntl forest, was big, had its own population of elk and deer on the property... We just weren't ready to drop that kind of coin at that point. That's why we're being patient. It allows us to spend more once we're ready.

24-Feb-19
Idyll, did you ever pursue the land quest? In particular Wyoming?

24-Feb-19
hopefully not because new mexico is overhauling the e-plus next year like they did antelope this year

24-Feb-19
If I was dpat, I'd jump on that property, as that's less than $1200/acre!

24-Feb-19
NM overhauled the EPLUS system in 2017, they just happened to do it under the table. Then this year they decided to actually go through the process that is in place to make the change.

25-Feb-19
Heh, old posts from 2015. How times have changed.

My brother ended up buying a place in OR with my sister and I wasn't interested. They're both semi-retired now and have a beautiful place with a river that runs through it, but it wasn't what I wanted and in a state I wasn't interested in.

My current plan has shifted more towards WY. I would have been buying this year or next, but my oldest daughter got accepted to a prestigious private high school that I still can't believe how much I'm paying for, but my kids come first and she wanted this a lot so I couldn't say no. I still hope to own a section (perhaps a half section) in WY one day and I came close to pulling the trigger, but my entire down payment is going to her schooling now.

I think NM's drying climate and changing e-plus system are scary enough to drive me away and I love WY anyways. If I ever leave AK, I'll live in WY for sure.

I'm still looking and waiting and there's great deals that pop up here and there, but I'm now probably 5 years from buying due to needing 20-25% down for land and sometimes more.

What I've done is found areas and then scouted them on foot either hunting or on vacations and then watch local real estate. If you have to buy now or soon, you're going to pay premium. If you're patient, you can find gems.

25-Feb-19
^^ Indeed.Watched a piece in northern Wyoming go from 338K to 1.3 million in 4 yrs. Gems are truly buried now.

25-Feb-19
I'd be looking for : cheap raw land, no ag value, big enough for a couple of annual antelope tags (non-resident), antelope in the area that could be attracted to either natural or created water, remote is good.

25-Feb-19
Ambush, there's plenty of that kind of land in WY, although I don't know why you'd want to buy it because there's millions of acres of similar stuff that's all BLM. I guess if you wanted to hunt PH every year in WY, but I just don't see buying land for that purpose. Especially since to prove the hours of animal use, you'd have to have a fair bit of property for PH because they herd up and range over big open areas. The biologist can make the determination off of just scat, I think I read, so as long as they're hitting your place at some point, you could get the LO tags, but they're not automatic. If you had a small acreage with a place on it, I could see it being pretty worthless. You also have to know your water rights before you start making water holes.

25-Feb-19
Yep, no need to buy the cow when the milk is free. Buy a single wide, residents get plenty of tags.

25-Feb-19
What happen to city hunter anyway?

25-Feb-19
Correct, it makes no practical or mathematical sense at all. That's why, in the end, I always talk myself out of it. I'm sixty six now and eventually will be better suited to spending Augusts by a waterhole or flatland hunting, then climbing BC's mountains. I can see myself doing an annual antelope hunt, and I already have an affordable arrangement, so it's more idle musing. It's fun to speculate, looking out on a snow covered and frigid northern BC landscape, with warm sun, thick coated bears and big, hungry mosquitos still a few months away.

• Sitka Gear