Titan_Bow 11-Apr-15
SelwayArchery 27-Apr-15
DEC 27-Apr-15
hunter2121 28-Apr-15
Dan Mallia 15-May-15
r-man 15-May-15
03-Mar-15
Hello fellow turkey hunters.

So there are a few areas where I hunt, where I will have a good hike to get to where I have seen birds and hunted them. Usually I just throw everything over my shoulder and trudge away. I know there has to be a better way to get all my gear to one location like throwing it on a frame pack and heading out. I will do this but I just wanted to see if you guys have any suggestions or a pack that you use.

I will be hauling a double bull blind, a flock of decoys, chair, and my bow. I will have my turkey vest on, with all my calls. Might have a day pack with some water and food. On occasion if it gets slow I'll camo up and venture out from my blind, so I usually have my camo in the day pack as well. Maybe some rain gear if it looks like weather is coming in. Needless to say its a lot to pack in, and I have done it, just curious to see if you have any tricks or tips.

03-Mar-15
I love my Magnus pack rack. I think they stopped making them but they carry all my gear and turn into a seat

03-Mar-15
My first tip would be get a lighter blind. If you are going to use the Double Bull a good pack is the way to go. Be sure to keep the weight of the blind as close to you as possible.

03-Mar-15
I wouldn't even bother bringing in a blind unless you are hunting wide open areas out east. From my experience turkey hunting in Colorado you need to be very mobile and there is a good chance that you will have to "run and gun". If you are set on bringing something I would bring in some camo burlap and create a make shift blind - it would be 10 times lighter but at the end of the day you don't really need it.

03-Mar-15
I use a full size internal frame pack. Blind slides down into main compartment, chairs strap on outside. DSD decoy is a pain to carry but its so realistic I like taking it.

A hand pull golf bag cart works fantastic if the terrain isn't too bad.

03-Mar-15
Hunting the mtns of Colorado I don't use a blind and often don't bring a decoy. Easier to be mobile without the blind.

If I was to bring a blind I would carry on my Kifaru frame

03-Mar-15
When you guys say run and gun, do you run and gun with your bow? I will not use a blind if I use a shot gun, and I have hunted birds with my bow and no blind, but I have a few areas that always have birds. These birds go to one area through out the day so I usually find a good location, and set up my blind. Its a good hike from the truck though, so it takes some time.

03-Mar-15
Just back the truck right up to bigdan's deck and unload everything...

03-Mar-15
If you are hunting field or field edges, even pastured woods, a hand pull golf cart works great. The current aluminum ones are OK, but if you can find a steel one from the Good Will or garage sale, you'll be better off. I attach a black 5 gal bucket to the bottom with zip straps and the strap that goes around the golf bag. Drill holes for the zip straps. Your blind and chairs go back in the bucket and the top strap on the cart goes around the blind. I've also secured a decoy bag around the blind with bungees. A backpack, fanny pack, or extra clothes can also be secured around the blind. With mine I can carry my blind, chair, decoys, tripod and fanny pack for my prosumer video camera and still carry a bird out in my vest's game pouch.

03-Mar-15
I also use a fold up pull along golf cart much the same setup as Knife.

03-Mar-15
If you want a budget look at the alps external pack frame. They are cheap like $85 and would work good for what you plan to use it for. That is what i have been using the last few seasons to carry all my gear on long hikes to my spots. And they have a few extra pockets for calls. Rangefinder. Ect

03-Mar-15
I have used a pack from LL bean. I believe it is called "hunters carryall". Not real expensive, like $100, maybe $120. It packs well, plenty of straps and wings. Decent back padding, straps, and waist belt. Not a Kifaru or MR, but good for what it is. Worth a look.

--Jim

03-Mar-15
During my last two elk hunts I'm not even sure I needed by bow. Those turkey just walked right by me. Could have used a rock:)

03-Mar-15
X3 the small hand-pulled golf club cart with a bucket on the bottom.

03-Mar-15
What's wrong with the back pack straps on the blind bag?

03-Mar-15
Yea when I say run and gun. It's the same with the bow as you would with the shot gun.

I've found in the mountains that when I'm in the trees birds come right to my call location. Usually looking for the "hen" and don't pay much attention to decoys.

03-Mar-15
I use a Cabelas Alaskan frame pack, strap my double bull onto the frame and my decoys onto the blind and away I go. The bag for my DB has a nice pocket for my chair and another pocket for my calls. I throw my water in the bag as well and throw any snacks in my cargo pockets. It's been a great system for me. Looking to upgrade the pack frame to a lighter unit in the near future.

03-Mar-15
When I haul a blind around I use an d military Alice pack.

04-Mar-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
2121, define a good hike

and also, define the terrain where you hunt.

1. I use a golf cart as was already stated over flat terrain. such as farmed fields. I found mine used, at a discount store for $9.

2. when hunting in the mountains but not real rough terrain and not steep, I use my T-2 blind as it only weighs 15# if I am going in less than a mile to set up.

3. If I hunt mountains and have to hike far, I only take a 4x12 light weight camo netting, or nothing at all and use natural vegetation.

04-Mar-15
I use an Eberlstock X2 for everything. It has hauled moose quarters, caribou carcasses, and whitetails. It has also served as daypack for lots of hunts and canoe trips.

It also works great for turkey hunting. It can easily carry a blind, decoys, and chair.

I used it one trip in Kansas. On the way in, it carried my blind, chair, decoys, sleeping bag, and mat. On the way out, it carried all that along with 2 gobblers. Now that was quite a load and I don't know if I could have done that for more than a mile or so. But I did make it.

04-Mar-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Here's what my set-up looks like from a general sense. This was the first time I tried it. I've since made a few modifications to my strap system and frame to carry the entire load much tighter and closer to my back which makes it ride pretty comfortably. I usually walk maybe a mile or more in to hunt onw way over up and down terrain. Golf cart not an option for me.

04-Mar-15
I use an Otter Sled. I set up the day before I hunt.

04-Mar-15
You guys need to check out turkeyfan.com

04-Mar-15

Knife2sharp's MOBILE embedded Photo
Knife2sharp's MOBILE embedded Photo

Forgot I have a pic on my phone with a tom I shot last year, but w/gun. Don't hate.

04-Mar-15
theres a few blind pack systems out there or just strap it to your bag.. Personally id just use a Heads up decoy man light and covers you up to draw plus your mobile

05-Mar-15
you could use a deer carrier.Since I have COPD. I just drive my sxs with everything in it. the turkey are not bothered by them.

05-Mar-15
I'm spoiled, I have a Polaris Ranger EV - all electric.

I usually drive it to where I listen from then set up from there.

I love my double bull, but I have much lighter blind that I use when I pack. its light enough to just carry with one hand.

I found it on sale at cabalas - its a Trekker.

I can tote it a long way in its carrying case. its also about half the Diameter of the double bull when in the bag.

05-Mar-15
We have not stopped making rackpacks. we are in the midst of making some improvements. We donot know when we will have a new supply but we will have in the near future. thanks

05-Mar-15
I picked up an aluminum bicycle trailer meant for two children and use that. It is very light weight and doesn't tip as much as a golf cart did. I did have to modify the 'handle' because it was too low and uncomfortable for my hand. I had some old aluminum tent poles I modified for the handle. I also cut off the bright yellow nylon fabric so it is basically just a frame now.

It works well for trails and open fields but not for in the woods. I can easily put my Double Bull blind, decoys and my pack in there.

06-Mar-15
Dwayne, could you post pics of your modified bike/child carrier?

07-Mar-15
I have used a game cart for years with my blind & equipment.

08-Mar-15
try a QQ Archery support system and leave the blind home , just sit in front of some brush that your camo blends in and now enjoy the comfort of front and center ,check it out at QQ Archery.com ,a very nice tool to have in the field ,

09-Mar-15

Dwayne's embedded Photo
Dwayne's embedded Photo
Medicare Bhtr- Here is a photo showing my modified aluminum bike trailer. It is a little blurry but I think you will see what I did. I forgot that I didn't have to modify the trailer handle, I only had to drill a hole at 90 degrees to make it curve upwards. I then welded up a hand-hold and bolted it on. I then ran cables from the hand-hold to the trailer corner to keep the handle from pivoting sideways.

I cut the nylon off and bent the side rails so they sat lower. I bent it with an EMT tubing bender. I then just used some nylon twine to weave a makeshift mesh so items didn't slide into the tires. I just used the twine because I had it. One could easily use something else for the mesh.

It is light and works really well!

09-Mar-15
Thanks Dwayne. Looks more stable than my golf cart!

09-Mar-15

Dwayne's embedded Photo
Dwayne's embedded Photo
I tried a golf cart but got tired of it tipping over because it was so top heavy.

A few years ago I made a deer cart similar to the one in this photo. It has angled wheels and I made it without an axle so it pulls better in the woods than my bike trailer model. The downside is it is heavier because I made it with steel tubing. I mostly use it for hauling gear in when deer hunting and for getting deer out. I have used it for turkeys too though.

10-Mar-15
Thanks Dwayne. Looks more stable than my golf cart!

11-Mar-15
Thanks guys, I love these posts as I get to see everyone's options and how they move gear into the woods. Great ideas! Never thought of using a golf bag roller, nor a bike trailer.

Brotsky, thats what I was thinking of doing.

Paul the terrain is rolling hills, and although not a ton of trees its a good hike to get to some areas(1 1/2 miles).

I used to just throw everything over my shoulder(blind, chair, decoys and backpack) so I was looking to see if there was some suggestions on other ways or if using a frame pack what brands/kinds.

Thanks everyone, now to decide on what options would work best.

18-Mar-15

badlander's embedded Photo
badlander's embedded Photo
I use an Eberlestock J-34 to pack in my gear. I found a luggage strap that I use as an extenter between the top and botton flap strap and buckle. The horizontal straps hold my decoys and chairs.

This was my 8yo sons second turkey last year, we had all of my gear, calls, DSD strutter & tail, hen decoy, 2 chairs, blind, field pod for his shotgun, snacks, games and everything else you bring to keep a kid occupied for several hours plus his turkey all loaded up for the pack out. The jake decoy packs much better than the strutter. This was private land, I might pack the fan a bit differently if hunting public.

18-Mar-15
I saw this and decided it was time to make my first post (after lurking around the last couple years) I really like my Blind Hog pack when I'm hunting out of a blind. I fit a blind, chair, decoys, calls, lunch, with room to spare. It's very comfortable and makes all the gear easy to lug around.

19-Mar-15
Wiscoz7, thanks for your first post. Because of it I have purchased this pack. I have researched it and it had rave reviews from everyone. Bought it for $60.

19-Mar-15

wiscoz7's embedded Photo
wiscoz7's embedded Photo
Sounds like I made my first post count! I think you will llove the pack. I only use a blind when I'm turkey hunting with the bow or in the middle of a field. Anytime I have to bring the blind it goes into the pack. I really got sick of lugging all that crap around. I hunt public land in WI and sometimes have to do A LOT of walking in hill country, that pack is a life saver. I lucked out last year and tried a new spot, had a dead tom 10 minutes into the hunt and the best part....it was only a 3 minute walk back to the car!!

29-Mar-15
I use a Beard Buster Blind Hog pack. Holds the blind, chairs, DSD's(2) and I can get my bow on there as well if needed but I ususlaly just carry it. I strap a bag to it with all my calls, water, food, etc.

06-Apr-15

hunter2121's embedded Photo
hunter2121's embedded Photo
Well I was able to head to NE and after a few days of hunting I was able to get my bird! Here is a picture of me with my Blind Hog. I was able to get all my gear in to a canyon with ease.

06-Apr-15
I Have had pretty good luck with the Blind Hog from Horn Hunter, not too expensive either.

10-Apr-15

Mad_Angler's MOBILE embedded Photo
Mad_Angler's MOBILE embedded Photo

I just strap everything to an Eberlestock X2.

Here is shot of blind, chair, bow, dsd decoys, and a Gobbler..

11-Apr-15

Titan_Bow's embedded Photo
Titan_Bow's embedded Photo
Here's how I get stuff around. For the relatively flat areas I hunt in Nebraska, it works well. You normally cant get all the way where you need to go, but you can sure make up alot of ground most places.

27-Apr-15
I carry my blind, calls, Dakota decoys, and all my gear on my Horn Hunter Full curl frame. It is a joy to carry and the pack allows me to store all my gear. Would love to have the mountain bike set-up but the swamps I hunt wouldn't allow it. Good luck on your search.

Drew

27-Apr-15
I would honestly be lost without my Rack Pack. It has been the best blind hauling pack/chair that I have tried. Hopefully Magnus can get these going again for everyone in the future. I haul in everything on my rack pack. Blind, camera tri-pod, extra chair for 2nd hunter, shooting sticks (if a gun hunter is going along), and I even sling 4 DSD decoys over the back. Makes for quite a load but it balances pretty well for even the longest of hikes.

The old Wild Thing pack was a pretty good pack, but I think they quit making that as well. I had one several years ago and it packed everything up pretty neatly.

Some good ideas in this thread. I think if I had to make one, I'd probably modify a pull behind golf cart.

28-Apr-15
One draw back to having a backpack that can hold so much, is I tend to pack it full, then its heavy as heck! Had all my gear on it this weekend, then tried tying my bird to it, I guess the extra 20+ lbs of bird really adds to the weight! Holy cow! It has performed so well though, and I was able to hike in with everything on my back.

15-May-15

Dan Mallia's embedded Photo
Dan Mallia's embedded Photo
Here's my blind hog with a double bull shack attack, chair, bag with calls, food etc. and a couple of DSD's strapped to it using the provided strap system. Easy to lug out.

15-May-15
cart or wagon is great, my kids red wagon has made many a trips. unreal how easy wheels can make things

• Sitka Gear