Beendare 21-May-15
BC173 22-May-15
Medicine Bow 23-May-15
BC173 23-May-15
Teeton 23-May-15
Medicine Bow 23-May-15
Medicine Bow 15-Oct-15
21-Mar-15
Over the years I have accumulated a small collection of outdoor themed books. I’ve come to the point in my life where I need to downsize. Rather than throw away or give to Goodwill, I’d like others to have the chance to read.

I haven’t given up hunting. In fact, I’m hunting more than ever.

So here’s what I’d like to do. These books are free to the first person asking for each book. (Please don’t ask for me to send all of them to 1 person). Take and enjoy the books then pass them on. It would be nice if they could keep circulating around so that others could enjoy. Many of these would be great for kids or grandkids to read. Not all are hunting related, but most are.

I’m not asking for any money and will mail them at my expense. When you are done it would be great if you pass it on so others can enjoy. It’s not an obligation but a simple suggestion.

The first person that asks will get the book. Send me a private message and give me the shipping details. As the books get sent out I’ll cross them off the list.

I also have a small number of fly fishing books and may post them if there’s enough interest.

Here’s what is available:

‘Backcountry Bowhunting’ by Cameron Hanes- a hardcover book with a DVD

‘Whitetail’ by George Mattis- An Outdoor Life hardcover

‘Hunting Whitetails successfully’ by J. Wayne Fears- A NAHC hardcover book

‘Elk Hunting 101’ by Jay Houston- a softcover book

‘Elk Hunting 301’ by Jay Houston- a softcover book

‘Modern Waterfowl Hunting’ – A hardcover published by the NAHC

‘Public Land Mulies’ by David Long- A hardcover book with a DVD

‘Deer Hunting’ by David Smith- A softcover book

’20 Great Trophy Hunts’ – A hardcover short story book edited by John O. Carter

‘Trails of a Wilderness Wanderer’ by Andy Russell- A hardcover book

“The Western Hall of Fame’- A hardcover collection of western stories by Mark Twain, Stephen Crane, Zane Grey and others.

‘The Encyclopedia of Western Gun Fighters’ by Bill O’Neil- A hardcover book.

‘All About Deer Hunting in America’ By Robert Elman- A hardcover book

‘All About Elk’- A hardcover book published by the NAHC

‘Small Game Hunting’ by Clyde Ormond- A softcover book published by OutdoorLife

‘Game Bird hunting’ by Rice and Dahl- A softcover book published by the NAHC

‘Whitetail Deer Hunting’ Published by the NRA A softcover book signed by various hunting celebrities.

“Advanced Hunting Tips and Techniques’ by Robert Elman- A hardcover book.

‘Rocky Mountain Warden’ by Frank Calkins- A hardcover book

‘Dressing and Cooking Wild Game’- A hardcover book

'Rubber legs and White Tail-Hairs' by Pat McManus

21-Mar-15
Love to get the Backcountry Bowhunting. Thanks for this great offer.

21-Mar-15
I'd like Trails of a Wilderness Wanderer. I'll PM you my info.

21-Mar-15
I would love the Public Land Mulies. Would definitely pass it along when I'm done.

21-Mar-15
What a great offer, I would like the encyclopedia of Western Gun Fighters.

21-Mar-15
PM sent. What a wonderful offer!

21-Mar-15
PM sent on Elk hunting 101. Thanks for the generous offer!

21-Mar-15
PM. Sent. A heart felt thank you!!

21-Mar-15
If all about elk is avaliable I'd like to give that a read, if it's gone I'd like to read modern waterfowl hunting. Pm sent soon

This is a great idea thanks!

22-Mar-15
That is a great gesture that you are doing Medicine Bow. I would like Hunting Whitetails Successfully if it is still available. Thanks again. Moe. PM to be sent

22-Mar-15
PM sent, awesome gesture. Thanks

22-Mar-15
If Rocky Mountain Warden is still available and or Elk Hunting 301 I'll be glad to give them a read and pass them along.

I think this is a great idea. I've got some books that I could kick in down the line. Maybe the recipients can sign them or jot a note in the book before passing it along.

22-Mar-15
How about all about elk. Great offer thank.

22-Mar-15
PM sent.

22-Mar-15
Orionsbrother, interesting that you and I requested the same two books. :)

If I'm lucky enough to receive them I'll ship them right to you.

22-Mar-15
I'd be very interested in the flyfishing books

22-Mar-15
I've added some more to the list if anyone is interested.

My wife and I are doing some serious spring cleaning. I may retire next year and really don't want to store all this stuff. We're finding stuff we forget we even had.

With us looking at retirement there are some things we just don't need. I'll be an Ebayin' fool. In fact, I have a copy of 'Hunting Rutting Whitetails' I plan to sell. I was floored to find this book is fairly valuable....plus it's autographed.

I have a huge collection of National Geographic's I'm going to give away. If anyone is in Colorado and wants some old(er) National Geographic magazines you are more than welcome to come get them. Most are from the 80's and 90's but some are from the 50's, 60's and 70's.

I don't want to haul all this stuff to Wyoming.

22-Mar-15
Lou - I saw your post that you'd sent a PM. Glad you beat me to the punch.

I'm still pretty busy. You enjoy them at your leisure. If you're willing to pass them along later, I'd be glad to give them a read and move them to someone else along with a couple of additional books.

23-Mar-15
Jaquomo and Orion, since you both requested the same books would it be Ok to send one to each of you and then you can swap when you are done? Just let me know.

I'm going to try and get these sorted out and mailed by this weekend and I'll let folks know what they've been sent.

I've had some duplicate requests for some of the books so it would be nice if the folks receiving them forward them to the next requester. I'll try to keep this all straight and post who should get it next.

That's a great idea about initialing the inside.I'm lad others will get the chance to enjoy the books.

23-Mar-15
Thanks, Medicine Bow. That's fine with me, if it's ok with Orionsbrother. This is great, and I already plan to pass the Elk 301 book on to another Bowsiter after we finish it. Another one will get it after that.

Thanks again for your generosity!

24-Mar-15
I would LOOOOVE the Western Hall of Fame...Zane grey is underated as an outdoor writer...not really thought of in those terms....he was a pionner in many angling realms...

24-Mar-15
Thanks again Medicine Bow! You are quite the guy!

27-Mar-15
Medicine Bow, did you get my PM about wanting the Encyclopedia of Western Gun Fighters? Thank you again!

27-Mar-15
Received the Rocky Mountain Warden yesterday. I was going to save it for a week-long fishing trip next week, but it might not last that long.

Thanks again for your generosity!!! You're enriching many lives with this gesture.

27-Mar-15
BOWNBIRDHNTR PM sent. I still have a few more to mail out but will make sure and do that....possibly tomorrow. I'll then try to sort the list out as I've received many requests.

I've pm'd many of you. So if you could please pass on to the next person when done.

23-Apr-15
I just read all about elk, thanks again for sharing it with me. Would anyone who got one of the other books who have finished it like to trade? I'll send you "all about elk" and you send me yours. I would be interested in any elk books, modern waterfowl, or cam Hanes backcountry bowhunting book. (Honestly most of the books up there). I promise to pass on your book again once I've read it. Thanks!

26-Apr-15
I've got a copy of Public Land Elk hunting I'm willing to part with. If anyone is interested let me know.

Very cool of you to start this Medicine Bow!

26-Apr-15
If the book Backcountry Bow hunting by Cam Hanes is available I would love to read it and pass it on.

26-Apr-15
Truckie got your PM!

29-Apr-15
I would like to read Rocky Mountain Warden whenever it becomes available,

Thank you and best wishes.

01-May-15
I hope everyone that asked and received a reply from me received their books. I emailed the recipients and the persons asking for the books next to contact each other concerning where to send next.

I'd suggest using this (or another) thread to see if anyone else would like to read a book you have finished. It's been fun trying to keep this straight! I apologize if I've made any mistakes....I tried to get the books out to the first requestors.

If you asked for a book and I told you I was sending it they should have all arrived. There are a couple more requests for some books and I'll be responding to those shortly.

Here's an update of what is still available, along with some new books:

New to the list:

'A Treasury of Outdoor Life'- Various Authors

'The Bear Hunters Century'- Paul Schullery

America- The Men and Their Guns That Made Her Great. Various authors and edited by Craig Boddington.

Still available:

'Rubber legs and White Tail-Hairs' by Pat McManus

“Advanced Hunting Tips and Techniques’ by Robert Elman- A hardcover book.

‘All About Deer Hunting in America’ By Robert Elman- A hardcover book

01-May-15
I'm almost finished with Rocky Mountain Warden and sending it to Orionsbrother next. Its a great read.

02-May-15
I just read public land elk hunting by DirtyD and I'm sad to say I will not be passing it on. I have too many pages bookmarked and highlighted for future reference. Honestly one of the best elk hunting books I have read that truly encompasses all the aspects of the hunt and leaves out the fluff. If you are interested in reading it though it's on Amazon for around 10 bucks. I plan to get a second copy for a friend who would benefit from it.

06-May-15
I have fundamentals of bowhunting by Dwight Schuh if anyone wants it pm me and it's yours. This might be a good book for the new bowhunters in your life not the guy who has been shooting a bow for a few years.

06-May-15
Dirty D pm sent.

21-May-15
I was just wondering if this book may have become available since the original posting.

‘Public Land Mulies’ by David Long- A hardcover book with a DVD

21-May-15
If anyone has 'Bows on the little delta' they want to do a trade for Howard hills book, or an E Donnel Thomas or 'Longbow" shoot me a PM

22-May-15
If, " The Encyclopedia of Western Gunfighters", by, Bill O' Neil, becomes available, I sure would like to read if the original selectee is finished.

23-May-15
"If, " The Encyclopedia of Western Gunfighters", by, Bill O' Neil, becomes available, I sure would like to read if the original selectee is finished."

PM Redoak for availability.

23-May-15
Thanks Medicine Bow!

23-May-15
Hi Medicine Bow,, you sent me the book‘Backcountry Bowhunting., I got pm from you to sent it to someone else when done, that pm is gone. Do you have the name of that guy.. Thanks for the book.. Ed

23-May-15
"Hi Medicine Bow,, you sent me the book‘Backcountry Bowhunting., I got pm from you to sent it to someone else when done, that pm is gone. Do you have the name of that guy.. Thanks for the book.. Ed"

Teeton, I hope you enjoyed the book. I really don't recall who asked for it next. The PM's don't stay around long. But, Soloman has asked for it on this thread.

Soloman has asked on here so unless someone PM'd me before 26 Apr. he should be next.

15-Oct-15
Just thought I'd bump this back up. If anyone has books they've read and wouldn't mind offering them to others that would be great.

I hope everyone is having a great hunting season.

• Sitka Gear