moch 04-Mar-16
Cheesehead Mike 04-Mar-16
Wayniac 04-Mar-16
alce 04-Mar-16
Bear Track 04-Mar-16
GF 04-Mar-16
WhoCares 07-Mar-16
25-Mar-15
I am getting my elk mount back soon and need to figure out a hanging method. Can anyone tell me how wide the elk mount form is in the back where it is against the wall. I am getting a semi sneak offset if that makes a difference.

25-Mar-15
Mine is 20" wide and is one of the largest forms available.

25-Mar-15
Mine is 20" wide and is one of the largest forms available.

25-Mar-15

Swamp Buck's embedded Photo
Not good... I wanted to mount it over my fireplace but I dont have a stud running up the middle of the fireplace frame. Any suggestions on hanging method?

26-Mar-15
I have a caribou hanging where there is no stud.

I drilled a small hole in the paneling. Inserted a hanger that expands behind the paneling that increases the area that the weight is on.

Plus most of the weight will be pushing strait down, with some pulling out due to the moment created from the weight of the antlers.

I would bet there is plywood behind the stone on your fireplace...so you should be good.

26-Mar-15
Is that an imitation stone veneer or real stone? If it's stone veneer there would be backing that would support a toggle bolt, I believe. If you have a friend that does contracting I'd ask him to come take a look.

26-Mar-15
If you have a question as to what is behind stone, (real stone or otherwise), identify your mount attachment point and drill a small pilot hole. Depending upon how the pilot penetrates, you should have an idea of how much "holding" material there is and how deep you can/need to go.

Example- If it is solid stone, I would not utilize a lag/anchor which expands on the backside. )IE A hollow wall type anchor.

As mentioned, most of your holding method will need to address downward "sheer" weight and the amount of pulling weight will be much less.

26-Mar-15

YZF-88's embedded Photo
YZF-88's embedded Photo
If you're getting an offset mount, you should be able to move it to one side (hitting a stud) and it will still look good. The offset on mine is 16". After this picture was taken, I moved it over a stud and the antlers are centered in the room.

26-Mar-15
To answer some questions:

The stone is manufactured and not real rocks. There is not plywood but drywall behind the stone vaneer. The only two "studs" are each 12"to each side of the middle so they are 24" apart. I have photos of the construction to show exactly what is behind if that will help but I will not be able to post until later tonight. Thanks for all your help..

26-Mar-15

Dennis Razza's embedded Photo
Dennis Razza's embedded Photo
if there is enough room to the stud you could stack 2 of the hangers on the right 1 above the other so the mount won't turn and put the hangers off to the edge of the mount. The hanger on the left is to small... they are use to keep off balance mount from turning. I use the heavy duty hanger on the right for big lifesize mount and stack them. Works great!Good luck.

Bowsite Sponsor

26-Mar-15

Mark B's embedded Photo
Mark B's embedded Photo
I had a very similar situation when I hung my elk mount on my cultured stone fireplace. Because I had a sneak with a turn to the left I mounted it off center so it was looking towards the middle. Most everyone who sees it in person thinks it looks very good like that. When I posted some pictures on here some people noticed and asked why it was mounted off center and I had to explain.

26-Mar-15

Bear Track's Link
Whoa Eric! I just looked at your profile and that is a jumbo elk, heavy as they come and front heavy to boot. As a taxidermist also, I'd drill a 1/4" hole in the middle there about the height your mount will set and bend a wire at a 90 degree angle and feel your way around behind your stone work to find a stud. In my opinion this will be the safest for that big bull you have there. By the way, it's a beauty!

26-Mar-15

Junior's embedded Photo
Junior's embedded Photo
I use a T-hanger on big offsets

26-Mar-15
You could get a piece of flat bar and go from stud to stud with hanger in the middle. Then install hooks on the exposed ends to hang picture, your arrow, bugle etc...

26-Mar-15

OK here is what I have to work with. Here is a picture of the fireplace framing during construction.

26-Mar-15

Here the the confirmed Drywall backing.

26-Mar-15
Is the up stairs finished? If not go through the upstairs and install a cross board stud to stud, in front of the stove pipe.. Or the stone panel is glued? Maybe pull it off and do it right?

26-Mar-15
Yes the upstairs is complete and we have been living here for 5 years. The stone is not paneling but manufactured stone that is installed the same way you would real rocks but these rocks are made of concrete formmed to look like rocks and then stained the color.

There is the one cross beam that goes across about the same hight as the second floor is. I thought that was a little low... but if I use the stacking method as suggested by Dennis Razza. One on the bottom with a lag bolt through that cross beam and one on top with a big toggle bolt.

Looks like I need to go visit my taxidermy guy and get the correct hangers and get some measurements.

27-Mar-15
Use the hangers like Junior said and anchor to the veneer with Tapcon masonry screws...use the pilot bit that comes with the screws

27-Mar-15
Well that makes it easy...Use the screws PREZ suggested or go lag bolts...You would need a hammer drill for the lags. I would talk to your mason and ask him the type of wire mesh he used on the top side of the drywall. More importantly, how good he fasten the wire.

27-Mar-15
One more idea here. Pick a center stone that will be underneath your elk's shoulder area.

Remove that stone (hopefully it will be in good enough shape to replace it.

In the area where the stone came off, cut a slot big enough, in the drywall to insert a 1x4 or 1x6 piece of 3/4 plywood that will almost span the interior of the wall between studs and PL glue it place horizontally. This will be underneath the elk's should area and will be quite sturdy enough to support the elk. This will take some finessing, but is possible.

Replace the rock and fasten what ever hanger system you wish.

27-Mar-15
This is a lesson for anybody who is building a fireplace. Plan ahead and spend the additional $3 and put an extra stud up the middle or add some cross braces in various locations.

Can you remove the fireplace insert and get up inside and add another stud or a cross-brace at the height you want to hang the bull?

27-Mar-15
On second thought it looks like the insert is "rocked-in" so there's probably no removing it...

27-Mar-15
You could also install a nice oak stained plaque on your elk...make it big enough to span the 2x4s.

27-Mar-15
I'm a mason...trust me on the Tapcon masonry screws

27-Mar-15

Bear Track's embedded Photo
Bear Track's embedded Photo
Tadpole's idea is what I did for my caribou only I used a 2x4 and set in in vertically. It was about 3 feet long. I then had plenty of wood to twist a 5" lag bolt in. I never did cover the hole behind, as who's gonna see it?

27-Mar-15
As for the hanger for a offset mount, use the one Dennis recommended. It is far easier to use and very secure. I used the square one for years but they are a bit too hard to get started while the other is quite easy. I figure if I have trouble getting them to hang then my clients have to as well. When you're trying to hanga beast like an Elk the last thing you want to do is fight getting the hanger system to start. They are called "no tilt hangers" get one with a spacer on it.

28-Mar-15
After taking a second look at the studded in fireplace, I can see plenty of room behind the drywall to manuver a 2x4 like Bear Track did...at least 8 to 12 inches depth next to the stack.....should be pretty easy and probably easier than Bear Track's job.

30-Mar-15
Looking at the studded pic I see the attic behind it. Can you gain access to that area? It looks like you could get into the chimney pipe area and install a board between the studs or a big square of 3/4 plywood. The rocks will hold the weight with Tapcon or some other mason anchors. My concern would be the rock pulling away from the backer wire or drywall.

30-Mar-15
My 2 cents - punch through the drywall in back (easy enough to fix), drill one hole from the front where you want the mount centered, install a crossbrace behind the hole and you're good to go.

30-Mar-15
That is the rout I will go pending the wife's approval.

03-Mar-16

Finally got it done. Here it is up on the wall. Used the advise to enter from the upstairs room and install the cross brace (two 2x4 screwed together). Used a 8" 7/16 Steel carriage bolt to hang.

03-Mar-16
That looks awesome! Nice job, Nice house, and Nice BULL!

03-Mar-16
Swamp Buck,

Nice bull.

Keep a close eye on how the mount ages. Smoke, even if it isn't a lot can have negative affects on mounts. Also, heat can be tough on mounts.

03-Mar-16
Eric, turned out awesome bud! Beautiful bull & fireplace!

ElkNut1

03-Mar-16
Just one quick question for you swampbuck. What are those itty bitty things on the walls on either side of your bull, LOL?!!!

04-Mar-16
That looks really nice! Very classy!

04-Mar-16
if you have 12 inch centers on your studs you can actually place two hangers on the back of the mount (if 20 inch form or more)and place two bolts into the wall one on each stud. will make for a stronger hold also. will even work with 16 inch center studs just need to place the hanger in the right locations. good luck

04-Mar-16
Wow, that is awesome! I wish I had a room like that...

04-Mar-16
Nice work.. and nice bull!

04-Mar-16
Looks great!

Nice bull too. And house for that matter.

04-Mar-16
You nailed it! Very nice.

04-Mar-16

GF's embedded Photo
GF's embedded Photo
" I wish I had a room like that..."

Yeah, I went the DIY route myself... Didn't come out quite the same...

07-Mar-16
Dennis Razza, where do you find the hangars pictured on the right?

• Sitka Gear