wyobullshooter 23-Apr-15
JLS 23-Apr-15
wyobullshooter 23-Apr-15
JLS 23-Apr-15
Trophy8 23-Apr-15
WapitiBob 23-Apr-15
Chad429 23-Apr-15
27-Mar-15
What are folks experiences with target panic? What did you find as a cure?

My case is just starting. Now, I jerk a bit at release and have a hard time getting a nice smooth release.

Have anyone tried this product? http://www.ultimatearcherysolution.com/

27-Mar-15
iv been shooting for 11 years now and just started to get it, I either lock up or punch the trigger, iv tried to just draw and aim for two weeks using my wifes bow in house picked mine up and it didn't help so now im going to put my bow down for a few weeks and just use a string to shoot for awhile. its all mental so ill just sit and look at my target as well going through the draw in my head

27-Mar-15
Developing a surprise release will help. The best way to do this is to buy, read and follow the teachings provided in the book titled "Idiot Proof Archery". Don't take shortcuts or try to accelerate the program, it won't work.

27-Mar-15
Tilzbow +1

After fighting (and losing pathetically)a world-class case of TP for 20yrs, thank God I discovered Bernie Pellerite's book "Idiotproof Archery"! Developing a surprise release is crucial to overcoming TP once you have it, and avoiding it if you don't. You can develop a surprise release regardless of style, however a back tension release is the easiest to learn with. I used a Carter Backstrap and it helped tremendously.

There are several different programs out there; some that work, and some that probably don't. One thing I can say with certainty. If you follow Bernie's program and don't shortcut it like Tilzbow says, it WILL work. I've been anxiety-free for over 7yrs now, and shooting light years better than I ever dreamed possible. Best of luck!

28-Mar-15
He's right. Bernie's book and the Backstrap.

28-Mar-15
Tilzbow +2. I had it so bad I couldnt a house. I learned how to punch every release I bought,...even back tension releases. I got a Carter Evolution and could not punch it. I learned how to execute a shot with a surprise release. I took my sight off and blank bailed for a long time. Finally putting my sight on and moving in ten yard increments. It took me a year to break it. Now I can hold my pin dead center at any distance and I'm very calm at full draw.

28-Mar-15
ITS WAS NOT FUNNY WHEN I HAD IT HAPPEN TO ME, BUT THE BOOK AND A CAN,T PUNCH RELEASE WAS THE AWNSER FOR ME, EVENTUALLY LEADING TO AS STANS SHOOTOFF, WHICH I BELIEVE WORKS BEST FOR ME. STILL TO THIS DAY IF I USE A TRIGGER RELEASE FOR TO LONG IT THE OLD BAD HABITS CAN COME BACK AFTER 10 YEARS OF SHOOTING AT A HIGH LEVEL. THE BOOK WAS SO FUNNY I CAME TO TEARS READING IT. IDIOT PROOF ARCHERY. THANKS BERNIE.

28-Mar-15
After reading Idiot Proof Archery, I have been shooting with a back tension release and string for about a month now. Last night was the first time I picked up the bow and it was wild how hard it was to blank bale blind the first few shots. I tried punching the trigger subconsciously every time I came to full draw.

After about 30 blind shots I started to calm down a bit and settle in. It is a wierd sensation at first, but based on all of the comments about the book I'm pushing forward.

28-Mar-15
I shoot trad....never had it, don't want it...lol. But, even in my short foray with compounds, I just honed my mechanics into a ritual...I mean, to me it's little different than shooting a rifle...draw, anchor, aim, pull the trigger. Not trying to sound like a smart @$$. Really, most guys I've known with it just over thought everything.

I don't know if that makes sense, but just try it...keep it simple and make it repeatable. Also, I've seen overbowed guys really fight it...taking some pounds off really helped em. Get in the habit of watching the arrow hit over the bow hand...don't drop the arm.

Good luck...I've seen guys just paralyzed by tp...mind over matter boys.

28-Mar-15
"Never had it, don't want it..."

Yet you somehow feel qualified to give advice on the subject? Interesting.

28-Mar-15
No offense, Rick, but you are coming across as a smart @$$.

It's not that simple, or easy to overcome.

You tell people with depression to, "just cheer up,..mind over matter boys"?

28-Mar-15
I'll third getting Bernie's book and following it. I spent the winter learning how to shoot a back tension release. You will need to reprogram that mind. Until a person goes through it they will have no clue how bad this thing can be. One can shoot an entire lifetime and wake up one day and wonder what the hell just happened.

29-Mar-15
No offense taken, none meant. Ive been at this for a long time and it just is what it is.

I was very fortunate as a youngster to have a great mentor, who taught me early on about correct mechanics and repeatability.

I also had the good fortune to coach hockey for 34 years, and learned the importance of proper, correct skill instruction and the value to learn "it" right the first time...avoiding the difficult, painful necessity of unlearning bad habits and replacing wrong muscle memory with right. I was indeed fortunate to pick the brain of one of the great coaches in the US in the 70's and 80's for a 3 year period that he had me chart shots and other stats while he was coaching college hockey...he won 3 national championships in college before moving to the NHL where he won a Stanley Cup before his too early, tragic death.

Not blowing my own horn by any means...these two fine gentlemen left me with a debt to them I can never repay...and for there kindness and teachings I am grateful.

In regard to target panic, yes...I'm fortunate that I've never had to struggle thru it. Again, to that I credit the lessons learned in my youth. I'm no world class archer by any means, to the contrary...I simply know my limitations and stick to them.

I do, however, believe the power of the mind can overcome our deficiencies in sporting, athletic activities....and make no mistake, shooting a bow is an athletic act. The late great Moe Norman said of golf, the most difficult distance for any golfer to master is 6 inches; the distance between the ears. To that regard, don't we all possess the power to learn, retain, and implement lessons...and overcome problems...with the wonderful tool the good lord gave us? Really, we get in our own way at times don't we?

How "good" can we get? We're all different...some are blessed with natural talents that may simply need refinement. Others, like myself, have the rudimentory ability, but need to work HARD to achieve self-acceptable end results. For some, the sky's the limit...others may plateau at a level lower than desired but perhaps the best of their ability.

I just believe target panic can be beaten, I've seen friends do it. There are some great books out there from many sports psychologists, specializing in about any activity...there's a reason some of the top, world class athletes consult with these docs...their methods work. Avoid overthinking, golfers call it paralysis by analysis...sound familiar?

29-Mar-15
Bernie's book for sure! I took my sight off, that really helped with the blank bale shooting. I took about 3 months to go through the process.

I don't think your ever "cured" you just control it. I now start and end most shooting sessions with blank bale shooting.

29-Mar-15
Will Bernie's book help a finger shooter? I've been battling TP for years. I shoot fingers but was actually thinking about FINALLY going to a trigger. A small part of me hopes that might help my TP, but deep down I know it won't help since the problem is in my brain and not my hand.

29-Mar-15
arctichill,

A thumb release helped me to break TP when shooting with fingers. An index finger release only made it worse. I am sure a back tension or surprise release would have been good too, but I managed to do it with thumb releases.

Shooting fingers now is easy. I can shoot my recurve better today than I have shot in years, maybe ever. It is fun to get to full draw and not feel like I need to dump the string. Rarely did I get to full draw before!

29-Mar-15
arctichill, best I can remember, there is a section in Bernie's book that deals with finger shooters. I'll let you know for sure when I get home.

As far as hoping that switching to a release might help your TP, you did a good job of answering that question yourself. ;-).

Many years ago, I had hoped for the same thing. Sure enough, I shot just fine...until the third shot. Missed the target butt completely, bounced the arrow off the floor, and glanced into the back wall. It's funny now, but scared the you-know-what out of us at the time! lol!

29-Mar-15
I shot a round of 3D's today. Distances varied from 20-60 yards. I missed one target completely....the MacKenzie crouching Mt Lion at 40 yards. Shot too many 5's. Not sure how I hit foam on many of those shots. My buddy would ask me sometimes after we both shot, "What distance did you shoot that one for?" I would respond, "I estimated the distance at xx yards, but can't say what I shot it for." My pin was rarely in the vicinity I wanted it to be when I released. I need help.

30-Mar-15
arctic, anyone who's suffered through the hell of TP has had similar experiences. Rather than being something we enjoy, shooting a bow becomes something we dread. Those of us that have overcome TP know it takes a hell of a lot more than positive thinking to do so. It takes time and determination, but it CAN be done! The first day I started the program, I couldn't hold my pin on a golf tee for a split second without turning into a quivering bowl of Jell-O...and that was at 2 1/2yds! Six weeks later, I could float my pin on the exact spot I wanted to hit until my release fired without ANY anxiety at all, regardless of distance. Rather than HOPING I would somehow hit anywhere close, I KNEW I was going to hit what I was aiming at.

Although Bernie's program is designed more for the release shooter, it does talk about shooting with fingers as well. The key is to develop a surprise release. How much harder or easier it will be to do so with fingers vs a release is something you'll have to determine yourself.

TP is basically an anxiety attack caused by the conscious mind trying to do two things at once...aiming and firing the release (or releasing the string in your case). Since the conscious mind can only do one thing at a time, this conflict is what causes the meltdown. A surprise release allows you to concentrate on the one and only thing you SHOULD be concentrating on...aiming. The release will just happen. In other words, you have to LET the release happen, rather than MAKE it happen. I truly wish you the best, because I know exactly what you're going through. However, I have never come across anyone that had TP as bad as I did. If I can beat it, YOU can beat it!

31-Mar-15
arctichill- I shoot barebow and I have TP. And I have Bernies book, but it has been a long time since I read it.

I can check, but once of his pieces of advice for fingers guys is you cannot "tell" your fingers to release the string. It has to happen unconsciously. The only way to make this happen is back tension.

Do a search for Ed Elliason (If I remember) if you can find videos of his release, that is what I am referring to.

But as mentioned above, there are a specific steps to get there. You need to "reprogram" your brain and shooting/release routine. It takes time. If you think it will happen in between 3D shoots or weekly league, you are setting yourself up for failure. (And I am speaking from first hand experience)

Good luck. We both will need it!

31-Mar-15
I like Wyo's comment, I think its worth it for every beginning archer understanding the mechanics of TP- the old "ounce of prevention ...." saying.

I liked that Jay Massey book, "Instinctive archery insights" with his section on TP...though I don't shoot instinctive. Your shot sequence has to incorporate a relaxed focus- if the anxiety creeps in even a little you are asking for trouble.

31-Mar-15
When I first somewhat got into bow hunting about 10 years ago, I found some public land to hunt in Oklahoma (I was living there at the time). I spent weeks finding where some deer where, and where to setup my tree stand. When the season opened, the deer always came in wrong for me to get a shot. I must have moved my tree stand 4 times. Finally after 2 weeks, I had a nice little 8 point buck come in just perfect (maybe 18 yards). I got TP and a big case of buck fever. When I drew back I hit my release a 1/4 way through my draw and sent the arrow sailing through some branches landing feet away from the buck. He looked up at me and was gone. Haha. Being discouraged I left the tree stand and headed back towards the truck. Half way back to the truck, a group of does came walking by so I hunkered down at the base of a tree. At the very end of the does, was a little 1x2 buck. Lol. I estimated (I didn't use a range finder at this time) him at 45 yards. I drew back and put one right through the heart. He did an 80 yard circle and died 20 yards from me. It was my very first kill with a bow.

31-Mar-15
I shot a clicker with fingers with a compound for about 15 years. It worked fine to control target panic for me. It forced me to shoot fingers with back tension and "pulling through". The clicker told me when to shoot, relieving my mind of that decision. I just drew the arrow, focused on the spot I wanted to hit while the sight pins floated there and kept pulling until the clicker signaled time to shoot. Worked well for me! I probably shot 50 big game animals when I was using it. The clicker I am referring to is a "clickety click" style that attaches to the limb or riser with double stick adhesive tape and has a cord going to the bow string. The last I knew, Ron Pittsley from Predator recurves was making a similar version but I haven't checked lately.

Obviously the Olympic style target clickers that go over the arrow and click when the target arrow is drawn past the clicker is another dEvice and not usable with broadheads.

If you want any TP cure to work, convince yourself it will work or obviously it won't! I did not find learning to shoot with a clicker or back tension and a release (all surprise style) to be onerous at all. Within minutes of using them I was shooting good without the anxiety that plagued me before. YMMV

31-Mar-15
"I can check, but once of his pieces of advice for fingers guys is you cannot "tell" your fingers to release the string. It has to happen unconsciously".

Great advice, ZBarebow. I just realized my best shots are "unconscious"

On my 2014 bull, I was focused hard on the entry point, and somewhere along the line, the string just slipped from my fingers without me knowing it.

My target shooting has involved a much more cognitive process when it comes to making a good release lately. I have to work on getting back into this "autopilot" mode.

"I liked that Jay Massey book, "Instinctive archery insights" with his section on TP...though I don't shoot instinctive. Your shot sequence has to incorporate a relaxed focus- if the anxiety creeps in even a little you are asking for trouble".

Beendare, this is absolutely true!

Best of Luck, Jeff

31-Mar-15
Hello, my name is Michael and I have target panic. I got it on a warm summer morning in 1993. Shot lights-out the day before, couldn't hold the pin on the target 12 hours later. It's been part of my archery life ever since.

Chill...been there, suffered that.

At least you're honest about the problem. Too many go through denial and blame it on their equipment.

Get the book, read it.

Also, back waaaaayyyyy up in your archery shooting. I mean to the very basics, at very basic distances and release.

Shoot a targetless bale from 3-5 yards, with your eyes closed so you can concentrate on a good release and follow-through. (The latter is what's hurt me through the years.)

Do that for a few weeks, then go to a big target, like a sheet of typing paper at 5 yards, and gradually, very gradually work your way back in the coming months.

Some guys are right, you never totally get over it, but you an control it and, or, adapt it into your hunting style.

Personally, changing things up from time to time....new sight, different release, different targets, shooting from unmarked distanecs....seems to help.

Stay calm, and work your way through it slowly.

31-Mar-15

Z Barebow's Link
I don't know if the video links can be fixed, but here is a Bowsite blast from the past.

http://bowsite.com/bowsite/features/practical_bowhunter/perfectrelease/

01-Apr-15
Improper draw length can contribute to TP.

02-Apr-15
When TP sets in I go back to basics and do a lot of blind baling, and close range shooting. I just concentrate on my shot sequence and not hitting the x.

Or you could just be like Zinger on the WI forum. He says TP is not real. That we just make it up as an excuse to shoot poorly.

02-Apr-15
"Or you could just be like Zinger on the WI forum. He says TP is not real. That we just make it up as an excuse to shoot poorly."

He's certainly not the first to show his ignorance on the subject, and I'm sure he won't be the last. The internet is a great tool for someone that's clueless. It allows them to somehow feel like they have one.

02-Apr-15
So true. All of my buddies along with my wife keep looking at me like I'm crazy when the subject comes up. I even doubted that I had it after I read about it many times. Now I'm fixing it!

02-Apr-15
"The internet is a great tool for someone that's clueless. It allows them to somehow feel they have one".

Do you mean a tool, or a clue?

Or both? :D

02-Apr-15
huntmaster, threads like this are what helps make Bowsite such a fabulous resource!

I started developing symptoms of TP back in 1986. Started out with some flinches, and the next thing I knew, my arm felt like it had a 1000lb weight attached to it. That led to jerking the pin into the target area and letting 'er fly! The harder I tried, the worse it got. The worse it got, the harder I tried. I was stuck in a vicious circle. Anyone who's fought TP knows exactly what I'm describing. The internet was years away, and there weren't any books or articles that could help. Even worse, nobody wanted to talk about it because they thought it was contagious. Anyone else that did have it wouldn't admit to it since they didn't want to be looked at like they were possessed. I honestly felt like I was the only one on earth that had this "sickness". I had it for so long, and it was so ingrained, that I was literally a basket case by the time I discovered "Idiotproof Archery". It's not an exaggeration when I say Bernie Pellerite and my Carter Backstrap literally saved my bowhunting life.

Thanks to threads like these, those that are suffering with TP can see they're not alone, and even more importantly, see what's worked for someone that's been exactly where they are now.

Jeff, now that you mention it, they may BE a tool, but they're a clueless tool. lol!

06-Apr-15
Berrnie's book is the only real cure. Everything else is temporary or a band aid.

06-Apr-15
Some contributing factors to target panic:

The mistaken thought that your sight pin will be absolutely motionless, and if it's not you'll miss.

The mistaken thought that you can time your release for that split second in time when your sight pin is directly where you want it to be.

The mistaken thought that you have to concentrate on your sights/where you want the arrow to hit.

The reality is, your sights will move. Always. They will also always come back to center if you can relax and let them float. All you have to do is "see" what you want to hit

There is a definite mental anxiety that exists when one is worried about sight pin movement and the feeling that they have to "get the arrow off right now" before the sight is off the target again. Anyone that doesn't think this mental anxiety can and does exist is full of it.

The challenge is having the confidence that your sight pin movement is not going to cause you to miss, and allowing yourself to relax and pull through the shot.

06-Apr-15
I've been shooting league now for a couple years and will shoot 1-10, 2-8's and 25-5's. I can't get the pin to the center. I"m guessing this is what I have and looks like I need this book!

06-Apr-15
This may have been touched on before, but I recommend that while working your way through TP - don't shoot outside on windy days. When I was at the height of my TP, I would REALLY struggle in the wind.

There is a lot of good advice given so far. I can honestly say that I try to heed some of it even when I am not struggling with TP!

06-Apr-15
"The challenge is having the confidence that your sight pin movement is not going to cause you to miss, and allowing yourself to relax and pull through the shot."

This is the key ingredient most miss when dealing with TP. You have to teach your brain that sight movement is OK. You teach your brain not to be anxious or anticipate the shot. You do that by shooting at a target, at a distance close enough to keep your pin in the center, then work your way back. George Ryals makes his kids shoot a 30x vegas before they move back from 10 yards. Then they go to 15 and have to clean that distance before they go to 20. Spend the next 5 months following his routine and you'll be fine. But, not 1 in 1000 have the patience to do that. They grab a bow, move back to 20 where they don't have a snowballs chance in @@@@ of holding on the target and start flinging arrows.

07-Apr-15
I have been retraining all winter. Back tension does work, but it can't be rushed. Lots of blank bale shooting is required. I still have a ways to go...

07-Apr-15
One thing that may help some is to shoot at targets that are gapped between the pins. I prefer to practice at the "5s" versus the "0s" as it gives me an unobstructed target to focus on. My pins are set 20 yards and up in 10 yd increments so I often shoot 25, 35, 45, 55 etc. Note that a target focus not a pin focus alleviates the anxiety for me. Just float the pins above and below the target you focus on, pull through and be happy with the results. Works for me.

09-Apr-15
I had target panic since I was in high school and finally got over it after I retired from the Army and got serious about hunting.

I used a tension activated release and would also have my wife trigger my normal release for me while I simply concentrated on aiming.

I can now place my sights right on the spot I want to hit and slowly squeeze a index finger activated release with no problem.

09-Apr-15
Contact Joel Turner

09-Apr-15
Lots of good advice here. Had it back when shooting daily, multiple leagues and weekly tournaments. All of that was B.C. ( before children!) Anyway, what helped me was first to pick up Bernie's great book and delve into the roots of my issue. I ended up going to a larger(.029) pin or pins, shooting both eyes open, and going to a crisp Carter release. I now can blur my pin, focus on the spot I want to hit, and break the trigger with a surprise release. Helped a bunch!

23-Apr-15
I have it, I have it bad. Joined my first league this winter and it was embarrassing. I would shoot a 25 then I couldn't hit the paper. I flinch, punch, you name it and I've done it. I've sent arrows flying everywhere. No that the league is over my son-in-law to be, who is a very very good, told me to blind bale shoot for 30 days from 10 yards. He said it take 30 days for muscle memory to kick in. I'm on day 9 today and I can feel a huge difference. Although I haven't aimed at anything yet and he told me not to. Reading some posts on here I'm thinking I need to get ""Idiot Proof Archery" and read it too. I'm trying to have this under control so I can shoot the Rinehart 100 in Minnesota in June.

23-Apr-15
It seems counter intuitive, but I think using a heavier trigger helps prevent target panic. With a heavier trigger, you have to consciously pull through to the shot. With a light trigger, you know you can just punch it.

23-Apr-15
I said in the past on here...I was fortunate in that I worked for one of the greatest archery minds ever.

Len Cardinale stresses turning the entire physical part of your shot into muscle memory.

Stance, grip,head position,motor systems and on and on. By doing this there's nothing left to do but hold your pin on a spot till aiming occurs. Also aiming is not holding a pin on target.That is calibrating.

Aiming is something that takes place for a micro second in time. Its your brain telling your body everything is correct and in that instant your entire mind and body becomes immersed in AIMING as your shot goes off.

If you never experienced it...work towards it. I refer to it as "Touching God" You will shoot better than you ever have in your life.

Getting there is the hard part.

23-Apr-15

Shug's embedded Photo
Shug's embedded Photo
This is not the only shot segments but they are the ones I work on. During each segment I focus on nothing but that act...how it feels.

The more you do it the more ingrained it becomes. These are all done 5-10 feet from a blank bale.

#7 is the only one where I actually shoot at a spot and try to focus on nothing on the spot and my pin...while pulling to conclusion which for me is touching my shoulder.

I'll tell you this...if you put the time into this your TP will disappear and you will shoot better than ever.

Here's the thing...if you wonder if you have done enough you haven't.

When I shoot this program regularly I can shoot along side anyone....and I shoot fingers. Nickle and quarter size groups at 35/40 yards were the norm. I have to admit its been years since I invested the necessary time...but if you do...you'll be sending me flowers

Lastly think of of shooting this program as putting money in the bank..and think of shooting at a target as making a withdrawal....Start saving

23-Apr-15
"Reading some posts on here I'm thinking I need to get ""Idiot Proof Archery" and read it too."

Do yourself a HUGE favor and do more than just read it. Everything Shug mentions is in Bernie's book, which isn't surprising since Len Cardinale was one of Bernie's mentors as well. As Shug says, developing a shot sequence, and the associated muscle memory, is crucial. The other crucial element is the surprise release mentioned in many previous posts. Once you reach the point the shot sequence is second nature so you don't even have to think about it, coupled with a surprise release, as Shug says, all your concentration will be on where it should be...AIMING! Long story short....NO MORE TARGET PANIC!!!

One key element to Bernie's program is called the bridge. Shooting blind bale at close range is great at developing the feel of a proper shot, but unless you recondition your mind as well as your muscle memory, all will go out the window the first time you step back to 40yds and shoot at a spot, or a 3D target. Bernie's program increases the distance you shoot, 2 1/2yds at a time. By the time you work your way back to 20yds, you're mind is conditioned to the point distance doesn't matter. Jump from 10' back to 20yds and chances are, you're going to have major issues again.

Target panic isn't something you get overnight, and it isn't something you'll get control of overnight. DON'T RUSH THE PROCESS!!! Tying to rush things so you can shoot a 3D tournament in June will do nothing but make matters worse! The closer Jun gets, the more you'll stress, the more you stress, the worse your TP will become. Take care of the problem first. If you do, by NEXT Jun, you'll be thanking yourself!

23-Apr-15
What are the numbers next to each sequence?

23-Apr-15
Midwest...those are just the number of shots I take. Again that's just my routine that works for me. I'm sure some shooters/coaches may argue against the way I do it. I've never read any of Bernies writing or seen his videos so I can't comment on it.I do know I never heard Len say that you have do anything a certain way.

He would however point out different ways of doing things and leave it to the shooter to decide what works best for them.

23-Apr-15
"I do know I never heard Len say that you have do anything a certain way. He would however point out different ways of doing things and leave it to the shooter to decide what works best for them."

Shug, Bernie says the same thing..."you don't have to do it the RIGHT way every time, you just have to do it the SAME way every time."

23-Apr-15
Wyo,

I haven't read Bernie's book, but I believe the conscious thought should be on pulling through the release, not aiming.

23-Apr-15
"Wyo, I haven't read Bernie's book, but I believe the conscious thought should be on pulling through the release, not aiming."

You would be wrong. Concentrating on your release, rather than aiming, is what leads to trigger punching, drive-by shooting, or whatever else you want to call it. The conscious mind CANNOT concentrate on two things at once. It can't focus on the release and aiming at the same time. THAT'S what causes TP. Once your shot sequence is ingrained into your muscle memory to the point it becomes second-nature, the subconscious takes over so that the conscious mind can focus on aiming. Once your conscious mind concentrates on the release, rather than aiming, you have entered the world of target panic.

23-Apr-15
I understand that the mind cannot concentrate on two things at once. However, your mind does not need to concentrate on your sights, all you have to do is look at the hair you want to hit. There is no conscious thought in looking at a spot.

My mind is completely focused on pulling through my shot. When my mind is completely focused on pulling through the shot, it doesn't know when the arrow will release and I get a surprise break.

As I said, I have not read Bernie's book. I'm not going to say that he's wrong, but please don't just assume that I'm wrong. I instruct firearms shooters. I understand the mental and physical components of such. Target panic is really not much different than flinching with a firearm.

23-Apr-15
First I just want to X2 Shug's comments about Lenny! Have known Lenny for 38yrs and have seen first hand on numerous occasions his students become much better shooters.

There are 2 students that really stick in my mind that Len instructed.

First was a fellow from MD who came up for a long weekend of lessons, he was an accomplished 3D shooter, and watching him shoot the first lesson, well lets just say he could flat out shoot! His lessons weren't so much about form, but the mental aspect of focus. Speaking with him on the last day, he was blown away at what he had learned...how relaxed at focusing and letting the shot just happen.

Second was a young fellow who bought a recurve and basically had no idea how to shoot, he even struggled pulling the bow back. After 3 months of lesson, the guy could shoot orange size groups consistently at 25yds.

You can't just focus on the target to make TP go away, the events leading up to aiming must be secondary before target focus is achieved. If there is any deviation leading up to that point, TP will take over.

23-Apr-15
You can focus your attention on the target or your release hand, whichever your brain will allow you to do. Neither one is wrong.

I would talk to the guys who make their living shooting a bow and ask them what's going thru their mind. You'll find a vast variety of methods employed to execute the shot. The common denominator is their ability to aim and execute without anxiety. You don't achieve that shooting at a blank bale.

23-Apr-15
I went through a bout of target panic that was so bad that I wanted to punch my release as soon as I got to full draw. It was so bad that I didn't hunt much for a couple years. TP is the worse thing a person can go through as a bow hunter.

But I was a able to get a grip on it by switching to a back tension release. I shoot a Scott longhorn three.

When I first got the release I made a homemade contraption out of a cut off broomstick and a bungee cord. Basically a homemade toy bow. I crimped the bungee cord to eyebolts on each end of the broomstick. Then I tied a loop on it and I would just draw and release that over and over. Just draw and just let it slowly go off.

After a while of doing that I was comfortable releasing and having a good surprise release I screwed a sight to the thing and would sit in my living room and draw and pick a spot on the wall and aim and release. I'd do this over and over. While doing this I never picked up my real bow for a couple months, until I was totally comfortable aiming and releasing.

Once I was ready I went to shooting my bow and I have been shooting great with great concentration. I shot a pronghorn last September at 45 yds. without even thinking about it. My confidence in my shooting is back and its a great feeling.

Bottom line is TP is horrible and I honestly never thought I'd get through it but it can be done, I should say it can be tamed because its always going to be there.

• Sitka Gear