bnt40 01-Apr-15
tobinsghost 02-Apr-15
IAHUNTER 03-Apr-15
trophyhilll 08-Apr-15
Matt Dorram 08-Apr-15
Barty1970 09-Apr-15
bnt40 09-Apr-15
27-Mar-15
Just sitting here in the middle of my woods boiling maple syrup and thinking about an elk hunt. Bro in law on the fence about going so may do solo. For those that have done a solo hunt, especially a bivy what are some of your stories. Any run in with bears, lions or weirdos? Anything else that freaked you out,

27-Mar-15
All men are afraid of the dark, if thats what you're getting at. Some admit it some don't. Guns make us feel safe. Bring one and sleep soundly. Solo elk hunts are as good as it gets!

27-Mar-15
Lol I guess so but I don't mind it except for the dog growling every couple minutes??

27-Mar-15

27-Mar-15
I have hinted and back packed a lot solo! Never been much to be afraid of the dark, but I have found extended times in the back country can really wear on a person! Motivation especially when things slow is a bigger problem! Also if you do tag out it is a ton of.... Scratch that a ridiculous amount of work packing an elk out solo! Especially if trying to beat the heat! I would draw a line between the 2 and honestly hu tone or the other! Either bevy style wih a partner or out of a truck base camp solo! I should not consider a solo style give hunt for elk where I would end up needing to pack out camp, etc. I have done over night trips where I carry the bare minimum in one day and hunt a morning back in 6 to 7 miles then spend an afternoon heading out.

All that being said... I have never had any issues with predators. I have had a porcupine come into camp and eat the cork handle on my fly rod.

I had one night sleeping under a tarp where in the matter of 15 minutes over 6 inches of hail fell!

I had time where the mice ate a hole in my boots left out side because of the stank!

Other issues in the back country... Had a buddy slip on a log and cut his back! Ended up with 28 stitches after carrying him out 4 miles.

I a. Sure there are more!

27-Mar-15
Ouch I betcha that stung

Reminds me too of the snarling raccoon that got inside my tent Wish I would have had my .357 back then.

27-Mar-15
I have hunted and back packed a lot solo! Never been much to be afraid of the dark, but I have found extended times in the back country can really wear on a person! Motivation, especially when things slow it is a bigger problem! Also if you do tag out it is a ton of.... Scratch that a ridiculous amount of work packing an elk out solo! Especially if trying to beat the heat! I would draw a line between the 2 and honestly do one or the other! Either bivy style wih a partner or out of a truck base camp solo! I would not consider a solo style bicy hunt for elk where I would end up needing to pack out camp, etc. I have done over night trips where I carry the bare minimum in one day and hunt a morning back in 6 to 7 miles then spend an afternoon heading out.

All that being said... I have never had any issues with predators. I have had a porcupines come into camp and eat the cork handle on my fly rod.

I had one night sleeping under a tarp where in the matter of 15 minutes over 6 inches of hail fell!

I had time where the mice ate a hole in my boots left out side because of the stank!

Other issues in the back country... Had a buddy slip on a log and cut his back! Ended up with 28 stitches after carrying him out 4 miles.

I am Sure there are more!

27-Mar-15
Anymore I prefer solo hunting. But the challenge is in figuring out where I can hunt alone and get an elk out. That will freak you out more than anything else you are likely to encounter.

If you want to do a "solo bivy hunt" (the new cool manly thing), do it in summer on a scouting trip, then think about what you'll do if you have an 800 pound pile of dead animal on the ground. And it's warm, you're tired and alone, and also have a camp to pack out.

A nice comfy mobile truck camp will suddenly come into focus.

28-Mar-15
Good points.

I do like the idea of being mobile hunting from a truck/base camp but with the option of staying out if necessary. With going solo the pressure to return at a specific time etc. is eliminated.

28-Mar-15
I've never solo hunted, but those I go with all go our separate ways, so, yeah, kinda solo day hunting.

I agree with those concerned about a solo pack out...if yer not physically AND mentally prepared, you could be in for the shock of your life.

We live in a hectic hurry-up, go, go, go world today in our civilization (?), and you HAVE to learn to slow down in true wilderness environments. The mountains do not suffer fools, and people stupid themselves to death every day. A single thoughtless, careless step can spell possible severe injury if not out right doom for the unfortunate one.

I've always hunted out of a base camp, and travel on foot...walking maybe 5+ miles out in the AM, and hunting back in the evening...like the post above mentioned. The Wyoming locals I know will walk all day, but move at a snail's pace...good advice.

For many years I hunted some serious, rugged, canyon country in the Bighorn Mountains, where a single misstep could be real trouble. Temps can run from mid-day 70's to overnight freezing. I always packed a well stocked survival kit which would ensure I would make it thru an unplanned overnight "spike camp".

Unfortunately for me, physically I can't hump the big hills anymore, but I've sure got a lot of memorabilia to look back on to fondly recall my glory days...lol

One last thing I'd advise you young'uns on...do it NOW, while you can handle the rigors...too many I've known waited till they could "afford it"...the expense of an out of state hunt...by which time they couldn't physically handle it to truely experience thier wilderness adventure.

28-Mar-15
Thank God I thoguth this was going to turn into one of those men sissy I am afraid of noise and the dark threads. GO FOR IT..relish the experience and struggle and wonders of it all. You won't be young forever..those doors will close..

Mountian Lions....bears ..wierdos forget about it...You my friend area killing machine!!!! They should all fear YOU

28-Mar-15
Dang right, and they will. Personally I do like to hunt and trek by myself. Never packed out an elk but did pack out a moose once. Did the gutless method. I welcome the challenge to pack out an elk :)

28-Mar-15
I've hunted solo on most of my elk hunts. Many were back pack hunts. Know how to handle an elk via the gutless method, but also have a plan to get the meat packed out in a reasonable length of time. That means lining up horses or help ahead of time if you are hunting more than a few miles in and the weather is warm. Game bagged meat hung in the shade of a spruce tree with good air circulation will keep a while. My rule of thumb was to get it packed out and to a freezer the day after killing it in the early season. I never lost elk meat to spoilage following that plan.

As per being afraid, let's just call it heightened awareness when you are alone. So far it has worked for me over the past 40 seasons of mountain hunting, mostly for elk but also for deer, sheep, goats, bears and moose One thing for sure, when you are succesful, you know who gets the credit, or who to blame when you screw up!

28-Mar-15
I've done many solo backpack hunts and it gives a guy time to reflect on whats important in your life. Nothing better than being miles from anywhere, laying under the stars solo.

I hunted hogs for years at night- nothing going to get you at night that won't get you in daylight. In fact, bears on the trails have gone out of their way to avoid me with a headlamp on while packing in at night. The early bow seasons and getting to a TH after a long drive- many times its an advantage packing in at night- its cooler.

To OTC Wills point; I have seen many guys that don't like to be out at night and they haven't developed that comfort level yet. Can you truly master your outdoor skills without feeling comfortable in the dark?

28-Mar-15
Beendare...true that...courage is not a lack of fear, but the ability to perform and overcome that fear.

28-Mar-15
If you have already packed out a moose, Then there is nothing left to Fear.

28-Mar-15
++ on a comprehensive survival kit. Also on a SPOT. For $9 a month subscription it sure gives me and my wife a ton of peace of mind, for as much time as I spend deep in the woods off the grid. I can check in with her every night, send her a link to where I am, call friends for non-emergency help (like packing help or broken truck) and call in the EMT rescue if something goes badly wrong. Amazing, cheap little tool.

We also bought a cheap five year Medivac policy for a couple hundred dollars. A helicopter Medivac now costs over $30k, and many of the new, improved policies since Obamacare won't cover it.

I love solo adventuring, but now doing it smarter in my "old" age.

28-Mar-15
Wild, I understand about packing moose, but....I have a healthy respect, more like a phobia, when it comes to encounters with a grizz...lol.

28-Mar-15
I bought the Delorme Inreach for my solo hunt last Season.

You can send and receive text messages from basically anywhere, although sometimes it can take up to 15 minutes to get one out if you're in a hellhole.

The basic subscription is 15 dollars per month...but you can cancel the subscription for the months you aren't using it (every month except September for me).

My bill was 50 bucks for September on my 9 day hunt (includes all the extra texts I sent beyond my free allocation to my Wife and Daughter).

The Inreach also allows the receiver of the message to pinpoint exactly where it was sent from on a map. And it has a "911" button if you really get screwed up.

All in all, I was pretty happy with it...especially when I was able to type "I'm on the bull...he's mine"

Best of Luck Jeff

28-Mar-15

28-Mar-15
"I'm on the bull...he's mine" Elkmtngear the best message to send.

28-Mar-15
I had to hunt solo during the 2013 monsoon. My hunting partners spouse was very ill. It got spooky when the land got soaked, the water kept rising, and the trees started falling all around. I camped out in the open to avoid all the falling trees. The fog was super spooky but very cool. I pulled the plug just before I70 was closed.

Safety is always the first priority.

30-Mar-15
I've hunted three separate stints from a bivy at 22 days each solo (with a couple trips back to the truck to get more supplies). 2013 was interesting with the amount of rain CO saw. Lots of falling trees, great fog, better hunting.

Bring some whiskey in a flask. Bring some nyquil. Bring a small pad and pen. Or make small videos on your iphone to keep you sane.

30-Mar-15
Agree on the safety issues. I am much wiser now than I was 20 years ago. At least I think so.

Chasewild 22 days is a good hunt. You probably looked like Jeremiah Johnson when you got out.

30-Mar-15
More like a Somalian refugee. Looked like this: O>-<

30-Mar-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
You will go insane unless you bring some reading material. A couple of thick, small print novels come to mind.

Forget the girly pictures. Well, ok, that is an option.

PS, do I look a little mad after 9 days.

my best, Paul

30-Mar-15
Juahomo(sp?)summed it up pretty good. Less people you got, less distance you go in! Me and the wife are looking at bivy hunting but it's only to get past the hard part of the walk into our hole, probably less than a mile in from truck and probably not more than 1.5 miles from truck to where we hunt. We are both getting old and she's getting arthritis so less stress on her the better our hunt is.

30-Mar-15
Second night in my last solo hunt - 2 am or so, howling pack of wolves in CLOSE woke me out of a sound sleep! Will never forget that.

Are you a solo backpacker? Hunting solo basically adds gear and very early mornings, but the basic need to have your act together is the same. You have to be good with spending time all on your own. Some are good with it, cherish the silence and freedom to do your own thing, some aren't. It helps if you're in a decent area - days of not much/nothing tend to wear.

Chances are you won't score, so the reality of hauling meat out is more like a possibility. Average success is about 10%. That being said, are/will you be in shape to haul X hundred lbs of meat out Y distance in a very compressed period of time? Ever done anything close to that? I think we're all in agreement that it isn't cool to do the antlers, backstraps and tenders, and leave the rest for the 'yotes.

30-Mar-15
I like the newest version of "jaquomo" old goat! Best yet.

that Delorme Inreach might be the best piece of survival tech yet. A VERY cool tool. I would not be without that on a solo hunt.

30-Mar-15
Chasewild that made me laugh. Wife and daughters heading out the door and asked what you looking at.

Oldgoat that is great that you and your wife can get out and do that. Keep at it.

Paul good one. What you eating?

Williamtell the part about being out and just trying will be good. If I fall in the 10% great, if not great as well. I'm seriously thinking about picking the unit based on looks alone and nothing else. Bow in hand, hunting elk and trying to see what's over the next rise. I will be out this summer doing some scouting.

I was wondering about bear encounters as I love bear hunting and love the feel of crawling down in the dark right after chasing the bear off the bait. Makes one feel alive. Never did hunt in griz country but have done some hiking. All encounters with griz were far away. I think the mountain lion stories my brother in law told me are just that, stories. LOL. He also claims he saw a ghost levitating in a doorway of an old building he was renovating.

31-Mar-15

Cheesehead Mike's embedded Photo
It was a drizzly day in New Mexico in September 2009. I sat down under a pine tree to get out of the rain. As I sat there I figured I might as well do some cow calling. I sat there for about 10 minutes and decided that I couldn't see well enough to even see an elk coming to my calls so I stood up. When I stood up I caught a flash of tan but it was too low to the ground to be an elk. I focused intently on the area where I saw the flash of tan when the tan animal suddenly appeared 20 yards away behind a log next to his accomplice that was already there peeking over the log and staring intently at me trying to figure out if I would be good to eat...

I'm glad I stood up when I did or things could have gotten uncomfortable...

31-Mar-15
MTC- Were you cow calling or saying "Here kitty, kitty, kitty"?

I give you kudos for snapping the pic. I on the other hand, would have been overwhelmed and distracted by my sphincter contracting uncontrollably.

Is "Get the F#@k out of here" a sufficient deterrent? Yikes!

31-Mar-15
I like hunting solo. But it isn't for everyone. Adrenaline carries me through the first few days. At some point, I realize that my daily routine becomes pretty simple. Eat/drink (To survive), sleep, hunt, survive (IE Don't do anything stupid). Not necessarily in that order and all are very important.

But sometimes things are out of control or accidents happen. Be prepared.

I typically pack in 8 days of supplies to hunt 7 days. (Extra days worth of food buys me some margin) Resupply, hike back in and hunt another 7 days. You can use the turn around day to go into town and get a burger, talk to a live person, and or relocate to a new hunting area. Sometimes a fresh view can reinvigorate you.

My 2013 MT elk hunt was the toughest. Weather made life very difficult and life threating. I had consumed more fuel than allotted in an effort to stay warm and try and dry out. It had become a Bear Grylls survival mission and not a hunt. Hunting tough and deep with no end to snow in sight, I packed down to truck and hunted from the truck/trailhead. No shame and it was the smart and right thing to do. Only time I have ever "packed it in". No hunt solo or otherwise is worth it if you don't come home.

Based up that experience, the Delorme In Reach is on my shopping list.

31-Mar-15
Mike that is a great pic. The hunter becomes the prey.

31-Mar-15
As far as other stories, a couple come to mind. Both happened in northern NM 2004.

#1- I arrived at TH and loaded up the pack. My plan was to hike to a clearing around 10K and set up camp. The camp was a little over 4 miles and 2500' of vertical climb and I thought I could make it before dark.

I had never been to this area and had done all of my research via cyber scouting. Google Earth tilt does not do many climbs justice. It started getting dark and per the map, the steepest climbs were ahead. In the interest of safety, I erred on the side of caution and set up camp next to the trail in the flattest spot I could find, near a stream. I pitched my tarp and went to sleep. For those who hunt the mountains, without a moon, it is VERY DARK. Sometime during the night, I awoke in a post hike grog/fog. I could feel something crawling on top of my sleeping bag. WTF! I am not sure if I screamed like a girl or not, but I kicked my feet and whatever it was went flying through the air and hit the brush. I couldn't see it but heard it. I figured it was ~ the size of a rabbit.

#2- I had moved camp and left camp set up for a couple of days. Unfortunately, the mice also set up camp. Again I woke up in the middle of the night with the little b@stards running over my sil ground cloth. I stealthily donned my headlamp and grabbed one of my boots. When the timing was right, I clicked on the headlamp and began imparting "Extreme and Sudden measures" upon the mice. Don't worry, God made more of them. I am sure I looked pretty silly hammering mice with my boot in the middle of the night in the NM wilderness, but it made me feel good, albeit temporarily.

31-Mar-15

Z,

I meant to say "here bull, here bull" but I must have misspoke and accidently said "here kitty, kitty, kitty"

I felt like running but knew it would probably be counterproductive. It's not the first time that I pulled my camera out when I probably should have had other things on my mind...

Your mouse story reminds me of the time I camped in "Mouse Meadow". I knew it was going to get interesting when I was boiling water for my evening Mountain House meal and the mice came up and sat next to me on the log I was sitting on. Everytime I turned my head it looked like the ground was moving as my headlamp beam swept through my campsite. It reminded me of the scene in the movie "Never Cry Wolf" where Tyler declares war/dinner on the mice in his cabin.

That night as I laid there with only my face sticking out of my mummy bag I almost went insane at the pitter-patter of all of the mice scurrying across my Tyvek ground cloth and feeling them running across my sleeping bag. The last straw was when I finally dozed off to sleep and woke up to a mouse crawling across my neck! I kind of lost it and it's very hard to swat mice while you're bound up in a mummy bag!

In the morning I discovered that they had chewed holes in a pair of Smartwool socks that I had hanging in a tree to air out.

These days I'm more prepared! ;^)

31-Mar-15
Cheese, bet the SNAP! put a smile on your face. Anybody ever try a micekebob a la Never Cry Wolf? (another Disney propaganda piece btw - there are hundreds of documented wolf kills of people). GREAT kitty pic, they look dead serious.

31-Mar-15
Yeah, the SNAPPIN' can keep you awake too ;^)

Never tried a micekabob; not hungry enough I guess...

Agreed, that although Never Cry Wolf was entertaining it was fictional propaganda. The wolves only killed the sick caribou as evidenced by the disease in the marrow... YEAH RIGHT!

I had a stare-down with the cats for a few minutes and then I stood up on a log to look "bigger" and they decided to leave... thankfully.

31-Mar-15

Beendare's embedded Photo
Beendare's embedded Photo
I usually have some Decon handy for mice but that first night can be a beotch when using a floorless shelter.

Suckers climbed up on the rubbermaid tubs in my walltent and chewed the crap out of my icebreaker shirt. I've had them chew through packs too until Dan McHale made me one with a Dyneema bottom...now its literally bulletproof.

31-Mar-15
I've done several solo hunts for elk, mule deer, Dall sheep. Mostly before the age of 40 (I'm 51 now.)It was hard to find others willing to pack in for miles and use all their vacation time doing it, so I went solo. They were the best hunts of my life. I didn't have to worry about the other guys schedule or what he was thinking or doing all the time. If I failed to fill my tag it was all on me and no one else. It is very lonely at times, usually when you bed down at night and eat dinner. The rest of the time you're just concentrating on hunting. Now that I'm older I appreciate the company of a hunting partner but I prefer to hunt with just one other person. I detest party hunts. And yes, I've had a few close calls with grizzly and black bears, one of the reasons I now prefer a hunting partner.

01-Apr-15
Dang mice are destructive.

Razor it would be great to hear one of your griz stories.

02-Apr-15
Cheesie Mike,

Why not sink down in the bag, close it and go all Chuck Norris on that mouse?!?! Or was that Rambo?

Solo is fun and the mind can and does play all kinds of tricks on u...if u let it!!

03-Apr-15
Lots of great info on here! Love getting out after it alone, but the only thing that worries me about some of the areas I have hunted alone is getting hurt. Hunted alone for a couple of years before I went with someone into those areas, looking back it could have gotten scary pretty quick. Won't go back alone without the SPOT device Jacqomo mentioned.

08-Apr-15
love hunting solo. the feeling truly is indescribable until you do it. the boogie man won't come out and get you. I love killing just before dark and getting that first load to camp at night.

08-Apr-15

Matt Dorram 's embedded Photo
Matt Dorram 's embedded Photo
I seem to frequently kill my bull each year when hunting solo. I love it. I know that it is me against the bull and his harem. Success is so much sweeter when it is done solo. Don't get me wrong, I also love hunting with my buddies and now with my kids. No matter what, I make a point to spend at least a few nights alone in the elk woods each season--it is good for the mind and soul!

Friends are great to have after the bull hits the ground too!

Matt

09-Apr-15
I remember reading your hunting tale in Extreme Elk, Matt; thanks for sharing

09-Apr-15
Matt that is a great bull. Congrats.

• Sitka Gear