bnt40 30-Mar-15
Carnivore 30-Mar-15
BIG ERN 31-Mar-15
Mad_Angler 31-Mar-15
Junior 31-Mar-15
Mad_Angler 31-Mar-15
DonVathome 31-Mar-15
28-Mar-15
I didn't want to hijack the other solo hunting thread. Just wondering if any of you have submerged your elk meat in a cold creek to keep it cool. Did you use heavy duty garbage bags? The area I usually hunt has lots of cold creeks but I haven't needed to use this method...yet

I hunted a lot solo last year. I really liked it. In the other thread, Jaquomo emphasizes the need to hunt within a responsible distance for the sake of meat preservation.

My plan B & C spots are further in and I only hunt there during times when I know I could get a couple really good buddies to drive up with horses and help. It would be a huge inconvenience for them but they would absolutely come if I called.

Alternatively, I could hunt those spots and spend two full days packing one out if I was confident the weather would hold up (very little rain). This method would require submerging the meat due to the time it would take me...hence my initial question.

28-Mar-15
Why do you think you would need to submerge it if you are taking two days to pack out?

I've left mine hanging in the shade in temps around 70 degrees or more for up to 3 days...never had any spoilage. Been doing it for many years now.

Last Season was a two day pack out (solo). I was two miles in and 2000 feet down. I never felt like I was in a rush, because I knew the meat would be fine.

Rain is not an issue. This is all based on public land Colorado hunts, anywhere from 11,000 to 8000 feet.

Best of Luck Jeff

28-Mar-15
Temps have been 60's-80's mid-day when I've had my best opportunities the last couple seasons. Maybe I'm just being overly paranoid about it.

28-Mar-15
I get mine out from under the hide, off the bone, and into cheesecloth as fast as possible...never had a problem.

28-Mar-15
I usually try to find a medium sized evergreen that's in a spot that doesn't get much sun. Bust off a few limbs, hang the bags up on the limbs so they lay close to the trunk.

I try to get them at least a hundred yards from the carcass. Bears will be on that carcass within a day, it's almost guaranteed, but I've never had them steal the bags or chew on them. I urinate around the base of the tree...not sure if that makes a difference, but so far, so good.

My solution for gamebags is extremely lightweight, and allows the air to circulate around the quarters and other meat, helping them "skin" and stay cool inside.

28-Mar-15
I never had meat that would take me longer than a couple hours to pack! In some cases it is not a big deal but the warm weather in early September can ruin meat fast! Luckily I seem to kill all my bills near a road! I know one afternoon it was 92 degrees in the shad when I shot a 6x6... I would have hated to see what the 4 hours of Edward temps would have done and the night time low of only 74 was not enough to make me feel safe!

I have seen people use the track bag method! Vital that the meat stays dry. I also believe that if the temps are cool a couple days are not a big deal assuming the meat is hung up and the air can cool it down! A good cold night will really help!

28-Mar-15
I'm paranoid too. Bring contractor bags if you want to submerge them. Regular garbage bags, even heavy duty Glad bags, rip too easy.

28-Mar-15
X2 on the contractors bags. We doubled them just to be sure. Make sure they don't have an antimicrobial treatment.

29-Mar-15
Hang it in the shade near the creeks. Always a bit colder. We have never had a problem leaving it 3 days or so but I haven't seen 70 degrees in the shade. As long as it gets off the bone quickly and hang out over night not bunched together, you can usually keep it good all day in the shade then air it out at night again if it is warm days. We keep goat meat good for 2 days in the tropics using this method.

29-Mar-15
So long as the meat is off the ground, covered in cheesecloth, hide off, and in the shade, several days of CO temps will not cause any problems. Keep in mind that the evaporation of some of the liquids in the quarters will help drop the temps of the meat, just like the radiator in your car. I've left elk for several days and never lost so much as an ounce of meat to spoilage. In fact, I've never lost anything to predators either and I hand the quarters right next to the carcass. I do use the gutless method to make the job easier and cleaner.

29-Mar-15
Good info. Thanks for the feedback.

29-Mar-15
I have also used the 3mm Contractor bags and double up on them.

I place the boned out meat in fabric game bags and make sure the meat is mostly cooled down. Then I placed them in the contractor bags/ creek and if needed, cover them up with pine limbs and out of the sun.

Have had them in the water for up to 3 days without any loss.

If no creek, I have heard that cooling down the meat in game bags, hanging over night and then rap the bags in your sleeping bag during the day to keep the meat cool.

My best, Paul

30-Mar-15
Yeah, I've killed elk solo in spots where it took me 2 days to get it out. As others have said; Cool it quickly- something like the shade of a conifer with air movement does just fine at high elevation. I bring extra game bags so its loose as packed in a tight ball in bags doesn't cool the meat well.

30-Mar-15
Yup, contractor bags work well for submerging meat. As others have said, get the hide off quickly and allow everything to cool in the shade. You should be good to go.

30-Mar-15
Jason,

I've had a couple hunts where it took me 4 days to get all the meat and cape off of the mountain. I don't know if it was necessary but on one of those hunts I had boned out meat that was already cooled and in game bags and I put it in contractor bags and submerged it in a stream and it kept really well.

On another hunt I piled rocks in a stream so the rocks were only an inch or two out of the water and then set my game bags full of meat on the rocks. I then covered the game bags with pine boughs and it was like a refrigerator.

Most hunts though, I/we just hang the game bags in the shade and they have kept fine for 1-4 days at altitude.

30-Mar-15
Depending on where you hunt, flies will be a bigger issue than the heat of the day.

I've battled flies year after year,and this year I'm going to simply pack a mosquito net in. They weigh nothing and I'm going to put it up, put the game bags with meat inside,and not worry.

The problem is if you're not within a couple hundred yds from water, then you could deal with flies and they are no fun. It is amazing how fast they can blow right through the best of game-bags and two days later when you open your bags up, surprise surprise. White rice.

30-Mar-15

BIG ERN's Link
I'll add what I can and look for advise at the same time. I have purchased food grade 6mil bags from the company whose link I've provided. I bought these for a tent camp a 71/2 hour walk in with the intention to keep the meat for as long as possible, ultimately calling for a packer. I am positively into grizzly country and would like to know if this sounds feasible? I have my tent along this creek and it's frigid. If I am very careful about scent, prevailing wind and tank the bags completely a couple hundred yards downstream from my tent do I come off as loony? There would be two people here and keeping the meat cold, staying safe and trying to help fill a second tag is what this is all about.

30-Mar-15
Had meat spoil on elk shot midday and recovered the next morning.... and that was with frost on the ground. Part spoiled on a rear quarter near the hip on the side to the ground.

Main thing, get it off the animal, out of the hide and preferably opened up off the bone ASAP. That is critical. Once in meat bags you're pretty good to go however you deal with it unless you're in the sage flats, warm weather and no shade or anything.

Keep it in the shade (remember the sun moves the shade around a good bit, good advice by elkmnt above keeping it close to the trunk), Creek bottoms are great, but IMO mostly because they are low. Cooler air sinks down, any bottom will be cooler. But that cold water and moist air sure doesn't hurt.

30-Mar-15
YZF: I do what you suggest. I feel the meat is good for 4 days at least, if put in or just above creek water. I like the Husky 3 mil. contractor bags sold at Home Depot that come in a yellow box. The Iron Hold bags sold at Ace Hardware have a powder coating that smells bad and I won't put my meat in them.

Cover the bags with logs/limbs to hide them and to insulate/shade them. Bears can't resist a trash bag, and various small critters will peck holes in them, and you don't want creek water on your meat. Make sure you keep the outside of the bag free of blood or fat or anything that would attract a bear; it's tricky to get a ham into a bag without smearing the top area that ends up above the knot.

BigErn: 3 mil is about the heaviest bag I care to carry on my solo wilderness hunts. They weigh 1/3 pound each. To minimize weight, I only pack 4: one for each ham, one for the shoulders (everything de-boned), and one for the trimmings. I carry a lightweight leaf bag for the backstraps/filets that I don't put in the creek and carry out to the truck on the 1st trip (have also used my emergency space blanket for this).

I'd lose sleep with the meat cached so close to camp. I'd cache it further away, and leave some dirty socks nearby. I've used the piss method as mentioned, but I've noticed that piss attracts flies. And the buzzing of large numbers of flies can attract bears. So I don't piss near my cache anymore.

30-Mar-15

Mad_Angler's Link
The Alaska Department of Fish and Game provides a lot of good information. A typical hunt may last several weeks. So hunters may have to take care of meat for a week or two before getting out of the bush.

30-Mar-15
But the one rule that I have heard muiltple time is NEVER put meat in plastic bags.

(well, almost never. You can put it in bags and a cold creek right away to cool it down. But after cooling, it should always be kept in game bags rather than plastic bags.)

30-Mar-15
Cazador I bet you thought about the white rice every time you ate some of that meat.

30-Mar-15

Carnivore's Link
Mad Angler, I've heard that about plastic bags too, because they hold the heat in. Nevertheless, I've been doing it for years because my meat is de-boned and cooled before it goes in the bags, and then is stored submerged in 40-degree water.

I don't understand why meat needs to be taken out of plastic bags once it is cooled. Why take it out of 40-degree water to hang it in 70-degree air? Mine stays in bags in the creek for up to 4 days, then I put the bags in an ice chest full of ice water to age it for another two or three days before I butcher and freeze it. Much of the emphasis of the Alaskan link seems to be on preventing INTENTIONAL wastage.

It seems Ice Age hunters put whole mammoth quarters in ponds to preserve them for months. See the link.

31-Mar-15
Carnivore, That's what I'm talking about. Now how about keeping it out of harms way, (bears). Thinking I'll need to go further downstream to be safer sounds prudent.

31-Mar-15
The rules are...

Keep it cool and keep it dry.

IF the water is under 40F and you keep it there, it might be okay.

But I doubt if the water is really that cold. And you eventually have to take it out of the water.

If you keep it in the shade, coat with citric acid, and allow the dark crusty to form, I think y you are better off.

But if it is really 70F, I don't think anything will work for long. You need to get the meat out of the woods.

31-Mar-15
If its to hot you just don't hunt. Keep an eye on the weather. 90+ day time highs and 80 lows is a hunt killer. No different than 2' of snow.

31-Mar-15
The rules are...

Keep it cool and keep it dry.

IF the water is under 40F and you keep it there, it might be okay.

But I doubt if the water is really that cold. And you eventually have to take it out of the water.

If you keep it in the shade, coat with citric acid, and allow the dark crusty to form, I think y you are better off.

But if it is really 70F, I don't think anything will work for long. You need to get the meat out of the woods.

31-Mar-15
Exactly contractor black garbage bags in a cold creek. Best idea ever.

• Sitka Gear