IdyllwildArcher 30-Mar-15
LINK 30-Mar-15
elkmtngear 30-Mar-15
Brotsky 30-Mar-15
Outdoorsdude 02-Apr-15
WV Mountaineer 02-Apr-15
TD 02-Apr-15
29-Mar-15
Martin Man started a different and interesting thread. See elk forum. Not trying to hijack his thread at all. It made me think of another question so here goes....

You just hit the $1000 Elk spend lottery, the catch is you can only spend it on "stuff" used to archery hunt elk.

What do you spend the $1000 on?

Upgrade to pricey Sitka clothing, upgrade binos or range finder, higher end boots, go for the $15/arrow dozen, etc? The list and responses may be endless, but thought it would be interesting to see if any common themes surface.

29-Mar-15
Ha, funny you should ask! I hit the $1000 gear spend lottery a few times a year! (Don't tell the better half)

This year I bought some new kuiu, a pair of lowa boots, 2 dozen arrows and broadheads, and 2 kifaru packs and accessories. And it's not even turkey season yet!!!!! Yeah, I have a problem...

Honestly, I would look for a coue items that can boost comfort (pack, boots, rain gear, etc). As most of us have gear that will get the job done, but some of it lacks comfort...

--Jim

29-Mar-15
Jim, you are not normal :)

29-Mar-15
I've been looking at stuff for a camp shower. So that's what I would buy.

Pretty well set on bows, packs, tents, etc

Now looking for things to make solo truck camping more comfortable.

29-Mar-15
No, I have screwed up priorities.

But I've seen your gear room too nick, so be careful with that pot/kettle thing ;)

--Jim

29-Mar-15
I think the three most important things that warrant spending good money on in order to get quality are your Pack, your Glass and your Boots.

29-Mar-15
I got a new much better paying job and my wife hunts with me and wants to bivy out so I hit the elk buying trifecta! I'm buying the stuff for the bivy hunting and a new set of limbs for my longbow!

29-Mar-15
I think JTreeman is perfectly normal...

29-Mar-15
I would choose to upgrade my binos. bino's are the best ROI imo, and I am just fine on other gear, clothing, etc.

if you said 10K, I might put it towards a new(er) truck.

29-Mar-15
The gear I use the most are PBG's...as well. Pack, glass, and boots....other than the obvious bow, arrows, and archery necesaties.

30-Mar-15
JTree, your priorities are just fine.

30-Mar-15
With another grand I add a tag in an additional state. I prefer to spend more money hunting and less on hunting gadgets. If I wanted to spend it on equipment then for me I guess it would be better optics. I'm in the camp that can get by without expensive packs and camo that cost more than an expensive pack.

30-Mar-15
I really have most everything I need at this point, although I would like to pick up a Lone Wolf Assault II treestand for one of my elk areas.

I would put the rest of the cash into savings for "consumables" like arrows, broadheads, etc.

Best of Luck, Jeff

30-Mar-15
A sitka cap and a pair of Kuiu socks. LOL!

In seriousness I would upgrade my optics. I already have all the other gear buttoned up nicely but my optics are lacking.

30-Mar-15
I'm looking for some new rain gear. I'd likely spend the rest on a new GPS which is overdue for an update.

02-Apr-15
A couple pair of Lowa boots.

No. A new gear trailer! or half of one.

02-Apr-15
I'd buy good boots and rain gear. God Bless

02-Apr-15
A good high end sleeping bag and mattress. A blissful 5 or 6 hours of sleep at night without the teeth chattering and other drama is priceless.....

Good rain gear and a decent tent.... warm and dry are important. Or archery/hunt related only some mid range glass and boots.... pretty much shoots the heck out of that budget any way you go.... ebay to the rescue.....

Then immediate start saving that next grand for the next fix.....

Good grief... when you look back over the years and add up all those "$1000" budgets.... oy vey...

• Sitka Gear