WapitiBob 10-Apr-15
Brijake 10-Apr-15
IdyllwildArcher 10-Apr-15
bradbear 10-Apr-15
Vids 10-Apr-15
jdee 10-Apr-15
PowellSixO 13-Apr-15
31-Mar-15
i was one of the few people that did not need to purchase a 2015 hunting license to apply for elk. (since i was skeptical i called two different people and and they confirmed with other people) still being skeptical i was wondering if any one that did not buy the 2015 license had their credit card hit??

thanks Dave

31-Mar-15
And I'm one who would not have had to buy a license this year but when they extended the deadline I was afraid that my license would no longer be good and since I didn't have an hour to spend on hold waiting for verification, I went ahead and bought another one...

So now I'm going to try to get a refund on that license since I didn't need it and the only reason I bought it is because they extended the deadline and I couldn't get through on the phone...

I'll let you know how that goes...

31-Mar-15
I'm in the exact same boat as Cheesehead Mike. I was good to go until they extended the deadline. I also talked to two separate people who said I did not need to buy the license but, I did anyways. I could easily envision a scenario where I did not get my point and was told "too bad, there is nothing we can do about it." Since my plans involve drawing a lesser unit in 3-4 years, my loyalty point and this years point were just too precious to risk.

Cheesehead, let me know how that refund goes. It's an avenue I could pursue, though if the loophole remains, I should have an extra day buffer in 2016. My guess is that you're out of luck. They'll say "how do we know you didn't use that license in the last month".

If you ask me, the deadline extension was to screw us that planned for the loophole!

31-Mar-15
good luck CH Mike, i didn't need to buy a new license by the original application deadline. i don't expect to draw but i really want my point and don't want to lose my loyalty point

Dave

31-Mar-15
Getting a refund from a game dept...thats going to be a trick! I broke my leg a month before a Co hunt having drawn U 76 with 10 points. I had my choice- refund and eat the points...or eat the $546 and keep my points for the next year.

They have you over a barrel, who would give up 10 years of pref points?

31-Mar-15
So let me get this straight. The state says you are OK and don't need to buy another license for the one day extension, but you do anyway. Yet, because so many procrastinate until the last day to spend the money, and furthermore, try to sharpshooter the system and get two years for one, it is somehow the state's fault? The deadline is always the same, second Tues of Feb, year after year.

01-Apr-15
Unless someone just doesn't give a .... about their AZ elk hunt why would a person not just pay up and sleep good at night ? I know when you start getting up in points every point counts big time. I started buying points 13 years ago and missed my second year and believe me it comes back to haunt you. The units I have been applying for just seem to be getting further away. No draw this year....

01-Apr-15
piroque,

You don't need to procrastinate to take advantage of the loophole. I applied weeks in advance but just started my license on the date required to save me some money. There is nothing wrong with what we are doing. Anyone can take advantage of it if they want to. I think it's wrong to make someone buy a hunting license they'll never use, so if I can make use of that license to build points for two years, you can bet your arse I will! This year it didn't work out. Oh well.

01-Apr-15
I realize that I have a snowball's chance in hell of getting a refund and that's fine, I might not even make the call or waste my breath...

Either way, if the loophole exists next year then I'll save the money then, if the servers don't all mysteriously crash at the same time again. Which I agree is fishy and may have been made up to get extra money out of guys like us who didn't want to gamble.

Beendare, your situation is a little different because you already had your tag and broke your leg through no fault of CO Fish & Game. In our situation we already had valid licenses and only bought another due to failure on the part of AZ.

piroque, the regulations say you have to have a license that is valid on deadline day of the application period. We had valid licenses on the scheduled deadline day. The AZ system failed and the application was extended to the day after our licenses technically expired. The state didn't say we were "OK" because we couldn't get through on their f'd up phone lines or we didn't have all day to wait on hold on the phone and even if we did, considering the fact that their phone support has been known to give out incorrect information, were we willing to trust them and gamble? I'm not sure what "sharpshooter" the system is but I don't see anything wrong with working within the system they have laid out. It's no different than getting 2 for 1 in Utah.

Either way I'm not going to lose any sleep over the $160...

01-Apr-15
It wouldn't be the $160 that would worry me it would be that while I thought I was saving $160 I lost a very valuable AZ elk point. If it comes up that you can get two elk draws with one license......I'm all about that.

10-Apr-15
well did any body draw who didnt buy the new license ?

10-Apr-15
One of the guys got their point on last years license.

10-Apr-15
I got mine and it expired on the 10th. Probably shouldn't have taken the chance, but for once it worked out.

10-Apr-15
I couldn't even get myself to do my app on the day necessary to save myself the money next year. Stakes too high with AZ's history of serving so many glasses of Tough $hit.

What's that? You burned 10 points on a cow tag just like 50 other people? What kind of dressing would you like on your Tough $hit salad?

Your check was .02 cents less than what you owe us? Would you like some fresh grated Tough $hit with your order?

Hell no. I'll continue to give myself some leeway in AZ. I want to hunt there too bad. And they know it.

10-Apr-15
Wait a minute Idyllwildarcher, I think your referring to me on the check it was 3 cents not 2!!!! I agree there was no way I would have chanced it even if I only had a couple points. Even seeing it worked I don't think I would trust them to have it work next year

10-Apr-15
Mine expired on the 10th and I got my 2nd point.

10-Apr-15
I'm ready to send AZ another $160 today so I know I have a 2016 tag. I missed one year and now I'm getting run over by guys above me in points. I might just have to move to AZ for a year or two.

13-Apr-15
Lol. G&F didn't serve you up a $h!t salad IdyllwildArcher. You can only do that yourself. You can't blow 10 bonus points on a cow tag if you don't put in for it. I had 11 bonus points saved up for a deer tag I wanted more than anything. I got impatient and put in an extra choice, and drew it. I blew all my points and ate a $h!t salad, as you refer too it. But I made that salad, and I served it to myself. And I don't care if your check is off by 1 cent. If it costs what it costs, write the check out correctly. Don't expect someone else to go out of their way because you screwed up. If you dislike AZ and it's draw so much don't put in. It's hard enough as a local of the state to get drawn, it makes me laugh when someone that doesn't even live in AZ wines about not getting drawn. Tough titty, put in like everyone else, be patient like everyone else, and quit crying. It is what it is, get over it. I've lived in AZ for almost 30 years, and I can count the number of tags I've had for both elk and deer on one hand. Boo hoo.

• Sitka Gear