CT bow junkie 20-Apr-15
12yards 20-Apr-15
Mr.C 20-Apr-15
Mr.C 20-Apr-15
Mr.C 20-Apr-15
60X Strings 26-Apr-15
13-Apr-15

60X Strings's Link
When to replace bow strings and cables depends on how often you shoot, your shooting environment, how the bow is stored and maintained, will all play a big part in how long your bow string and cables will last. This article will help to understand when you should replace your bow string and cables.

As a bow string manufacturer, two of the most asked questions we get are how often do my bow string and cables need replaced and how do I know when it’s time to replace my bow string and cables. In general we (as well as most bow companies) recommend that you change your bow string and cables once a year on target bow and every two years on hunting bows. The main difference here is that target bows will usually see more shooting then a comparable hunting bow. A lot of target bows will also be shooting lighter target arrows that exert more force on the bow string and cables compared to a heavier hunting arrow.

With all of this said there are several variables that will affect the life span your bow string and cables and when to replace your bow string and cable. How often you shoot, your shooting environment, how the bow is stored and maintained will all play a big part in how long your bow string and cables will last.One thing to remember is that every day your bow string and cables are under extreme tension even if no shots are being fired. Over time this constant tension will break down the bow string material causing it to stretch, fray and wear out.

Every year we hear the same stories from our customers. “My bow string is only 5 years old and I haven’t shot it much but when I opened my bow case this season it was broke.” I like to compare replacing your bow string and cables to changing the oil in your car. You change your oil every 3,000 miles in order to keep your car running better and to last longer. Since you’ve invested hundreds if not over a thousand dollars in your bow setup why not spend $75 on a new set of bow strings every couple years to keep it at top performance and last longer?

Next week I will cover some warning signs that you know when it’s time to replace your bow string and cables.Stay tuned for future helpful archery articles.Feel free to ask any questions at [email protected] or visit our blog at www.60XCustomStrings.com

14-Apr-15
If you change your oil every 3000 miles then you've been brainwashed by the oil companies, heck even your vehicle manual doesn't say every 3000 miles.

16-Apr-15
Thank you for the share

16-Apr-15
I don't think the oil change was supposed to be the center piece of the article. I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say the advice taken from this post was supposed to be about bow strings.

16-Apr-15
I'm about due.

18-Apr-15
Soloman X2, zinger, I work in a car shop and see it all the time. People come in with a rough running issue. Get to the bottom of it and they went 6-10000 miles on oil change without ever checking the level and from being low it's stretched the timing change causing the cam sensors to misread eventually causing a misfire.

maintenance is key

60x, my bow is about four years old and doesn't seem to have the punch as it once had, I'm almost thinking from being stored in my garage where the humidity levels are always changing had something to do with it. Ever heard anything like this? New strings and cables are going on soon

18-Apr-15
If you shoot a lot, I'd change them before every fall for sure.... and dial your bow back in before hunting!

20-Apr-15
Before my new bows leave the shop I replac the factory strings. The only one that I didn't replace was my Elite. The Elite came with winners choice and they where absolutely great. Bowtechs octan not so much they came off almost as fast as the bow came out of the box.

20-Apr-15
OK, here is the million dollar question: what is shooting your bow a lot? How many shots is a lot.

20-Apr-15

Mr.C's embedded Photo
Mr.C's embedded Photo
Strothers bow bought new stuff guess on how many shoots in a couple years ...it seems the string is going flat at the point it touches the black plastic piece but not fraying is it ok??

20-Apr-15

Mr.C's embedded Photo
Mr.C's embedded Photo
sorry!not real good pictures ... and I do use the string wax ..I really dont wanna change anything because its shoot better then ever as is, but it needs to be right and safe..thanks for any input

MikeC

20-Apr-15
sorry!not real good pictures ... and I do use the string wax ..I really dont wanna change anything because its shoot better then ever as is, but it needs to be right and safe..thanks for any input

MikeC

26-Apr-15
That doesn't look like excessive wear but it is a little tough to tell from the pics. I used to shoot a strothers and I hated that cable slide they use.

• Sitka Gear