glass eye 23-Apr-15
glass eye 23-Apr-15
glass eye 23-Apr-15
tonyo6302 23-Apr-15
tonyo6302 23-Apr-15
SteveB 24-Apr-15
Bushbow 24-Apr-15
19-Apr-15
What's the best way to travel with broadheads and arrows? Do you leave them attached or do you disassemble and reassemble after reaching your destination. I haven't seen or found a system that can safely transport a completely finished hunting arrow. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

19-Apr-15
I disassemble and reassemble. That's the safest way in my opinion. I travel with a spin tester to ensure proper broadhead alignment.

19-Apr-15
I leave attached. I like to match up broadheads that I have pre spun and shot so I know that I'm getting good flight. I load my quiver and the rest go in a Easton arrow tote. Put both in my pole mountain bow case. Never had any problems with that. Side of my bow case also has a spot to put them as well

19-Apr-15
'I haven't seen or found a system that can safely transport a completely finished hunting arrow. Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.'

you must have just started looking in the last 2 minutes.

They make special hinged cases and even tywist closed end tubes for this. are you talking about a system to do it in the same case as the bow? also very easy to rig and attached a covered area in the arrow rack" of a standard hard bow case that the tip end of the full arrow slides into to cover the heads and keep them away from stings cables.

also each to segregate arrows from other items by using clothes to protect all contents...........just don't mash fletching.

this is not a tough nut to crack!

19-Apr-15
What Butcher said.

19-Apr-15
Mine are glued on cedars, so they stay...yeah, what they said...get a good hard case.

19-Apr-15
You can get a hard arrow case for under $20 that you can put 18 BH tipped arrows in. Taking them on and off is a hassle imo, plus then you have loose BH, some with loos blades. Then you have to match them up again and spin test them. No thanks. I leave 5 in the quiver and if I miss more than that I should not be hunting. I do bring some extra in a arrow case, if I am far from home.

19-Apr-15
a quiver...........................................................................................................................

19-Apr-15
You could certainly load the quiver but I don't like my fletching getting crushed during the flight. You can take your time making everything look pretty but the TSA and baggage handlers could care less. I've also flown with a few "hard" arrow cases but no longer trust them. PVC case for my arrows and separate package for my BH's. Broadhead spin testers take up almost no space/weight. This method ensures everything arrives in the absolute best condition.

20-Apr-15
I feel the same way you do about my fletching weekender 21. I guess I'm disassembling the broadheads from my arrows and reassembling my broadheads when I get to camp. The box I was looking at is made by MTM But I'm wondering if it can hold up to commercial airlines baggage handlers. Thanks for everyone's input in this thread.

20-Apr-15
There are plenty of arrow hard cases designed to take the abuses of travel. The heavy plastic cylindrical models work fine. The arrows are not loose in the hard case, they're snapped into foam brackets, so nothing but air contacts the fletching, nocks or broadheads. Saves time and hassle from needing to repeat the whole matching-up and spin testing process with broad-heads in the field.

20-Apr-15
my SKB case seems to work well, it holds my Matthews, and has 12 slots for arrows... Now- I do detach my quiver and that has 5 VPA tipped arrows ready to go, and all my extra arrows go into the slots in the case that you can shift around with Velcro. Everything about the case is adjustable with Velcro. I find a safe spot for my quiver, then I put in enough soft items like gloves, neck warmer, socks, etc, so that nothing can move around. If I needed to bring extra BH's, I would have them in a small secure contain as well.

20-Apr-15
I have always taken my arrows and BH apart. I number each head and the corresponding arrow, so I know I've got combinations that have been tested and work well.

I bought a fishing pole years back from Cabelas that came in a PVC tube with a removable end on it. I cut the case down and was able to reuse the end, after reattaching the glue on end. I have packed my arrows in that. Broadheads went into a ziplock bag that was packed in something else with a hard side to prevent any cutting.

I also used hard sided golf bag for my bow and used clothes to cushion it. Quiver removed and all arrows I was bringing packed safely in the old rod tube. Worked very well.

But, now, I drive.

>>>>-------->

21-Apr-15
MTM makes a good reasonably priced hard case. I used to disassemble and have a separate case for just broadheads and put the shafts in a tube but no need with this case. No fletching contact or any contact with anything for that matter. Broadheads are as safe there assembled on the arrows as any other way I've carried.

Attached it with velcro right in the lid of the Kalispel double case. Safe. Works well. Organized.

21-Apr-15
TD are you talking about the Ultra, Compact or Arrow plus case?

21-Apr-15
As a traditional bowhunter, my arrows are cut to about 30" and the broadhead adds another 2.5-3" to that. It is hard to find a quality hard case that will hold an arrow that long and then find luggage that you can slide the case into without exceeding airline regulations for luggage size and paying a very costly penalty. Since I use carbon arrows, I will unscrew the broadhead to reduce arrow length so it will fit in some of the hard arrow cases which will then fit inside my larger luggage.

21-Apr-15
I used to disassemble/assemble and spin on each hunt. Hated it. Now I spin number best to worst put in a rectangular hard case and place between my 2 bows in my tuff pak then pad with clothing. It helps to stabilize my bows and all I do is quickly spin my arrows at destination & load in quiver. Easy peasy. Never a damage issue.

21-Apr-15
Armored soft case with full bow quiver and and an accessory quiver loaded, strapped inside a golf travel bag. Plus all my other hunting goodies/clothes stuffed in there around them for padding.

It worked very well for me in the past. Some airlines do not charge oversize fees for golf bags, plus it doesn't raise suspicion so much.

Best of Luck, Jeff

21-Apr-15
MM, I have the Compact. Takes my 28.5 and 29" arrows with broadheads easily. I forget offhand how many it holds but it's far more than I will use on a hunt.

21-Apr-15
Ok thanks TD and everyone else who responded. That compact case will fit in my hardcase along with my bow. I tried it last night.

23-Apr-15

glass eye's embedded Photo
I'm packing now for a trip. If it were just my bow & arrows in the case I would remove the broadheads. However, I'm packing for a winter hunt in May and backpacking in freezing weather requires bulky gear, so I need to utilize the empty space in my bow case and use it to protect the bow. I will leave the broadheads attached, I plan to hunt same day of arrival.

23-Apr-15

Next the bow.

23-Apr-15

And wool jacket on top.

23-Apr-15

tonyo6302's embedded Photo
In November and December of 2013, I took one for the team here at work, and traveled to the hardship worksite of Oahu, Hawaii, for six weeks.

First, I checked the Airline for their policy on Archery Equipment. United, at the time, considered it Sporting Equipment, and could be placed inside your luggage with no declaration.

Only my takedown recurve would fit, so I took my Jaguar, XX75 Aluminum arrows, and put them in the luggage, pretty much loose, but wrapped clothing around them. Coated the Fletching with White Rain Hairspray, so that a tad bit of water and a blow dryer would fix them right up on arrival. Bundled up the arrows with scotch tape, then wrapped them with clothing.

I decided I did not want my Broadheads to hurt anyone in case of a baggage accident, so I placed them in a hard container, seperate from the Arrows.

Also took some XX75's with self made Flu-Flu Spirals for bird hunting while there on the hardship work tour.

;^)

Everything made it OK to and from Hawaii.

23-Apr-15

Another photo of airline travel survival.

24-Apr-15
Only problem I have with it is leaving broadheads attached. That seems risky on many levels, especially because often TSA goes through bow a d gun cases. I have had it happen many times. I would add heads upon arrival.

24-Apr-15
Similar to Tonyo I travel with a take down recurve and carbons. Bow goes in my Muck boots, arrows in a takedown fly rod case and broadheads in a separate container stuck in foam. Everything fits in my duffle bag. Build the bow, arrows and hunt. Fletching gets a little roughed up but rubbing it back and fourth gets it in good enough shape to shoot and the bottom of a coffee cup from the cupboard of one of Bear Tracks cabins worked well for a touch up on my broadheads. Go hunting

• Sitka Gear