Tracker 22-Apr-15
Hawkarcher 22-Apr-15
Dan Mallia 23-Apr-15
Teeton 23-Apr-15
Paul@thefort 23-Apr-15
Hawkarcher 23-Apr-15
Knife2sharp 24-Apr-15
21-Apr-15
I have the older style DB T2 blind and am quite happy with the quality of this blind but I would like to get a new one. I hear that the quality has gone done since it was bought out by primos so my question is which blind should I get. Let me know what you guys have that you like and tell me why. I am not opposed to getting a new double bull by primos but I don't know which one is the best quality. Someone recommended a Rhino blind and another friend said that he was going to get a Barronette for his next blind. I have had my old blind for 15-20 years and haven't been keeping up with the new styles.

21-Apr-15
Rhino's are excellent blinds and it's what I use. Although their customer service is lacking a bit.

21-Apr-15
Barronette seems to be an excellent blind for the money. My DB was made by primos and it has been of extremely high quality in my opinion but I did not have an older model DB to compare it too.

21-Apr-15

weekender21's embedded Photo
weekender21's embedded Photo
I have one of the older Double Bull Matrix blinds and have to agree that the newer versions aren't the same. I did take a hard look at their new high end blind (bullpen) this year in Nebraska. It's spendy but very similar to my old Matrix and appears to be well built.

I've purchased several over the past few years and really like the Rhino XP-1 I bought this year. It's similar in operation to my original Double Bull and was worked well for filming and shooting.

21-Apr-15
I like the T2 style when I'm alone, but a 5 hub with someone else. I was at a local archery dealer a few weeks ago and they had a larger T2 style blind with a front window like a Matrix. It's a Primos model, but can't remember what it's called. The only problem is it didn't have portal windows on the side of the big window, but there were two in the back. Seems like big blind spots on the sides of the blind, but it had viewing ports. It's a sweet blind though.

21-Apr-15
I got the DB Double Wide just a week ago. Used it this last weekend Friday through Sunday. Seems to be solidly built. Heavy. Rain resistant I found out. My other blind was a T2 I got in '02 or so and I'd say its just as sturdy (which was a concern after Primos bought DB). Buddies have other blinds and they all seem to be made of cheap rain coat fabric. Tear easily but are lighter to transport. Can't imagine them being used a lot and lasting more than a year or two. Depending how long you want to keep it, I'd say the DB is great for the price ($299 at Cabelas),

21-Apr-15
It's the Shack Attack and I see they're on sale.

22-Apr-15
I've had a number of Double Bull blinds and agree with your analysis... Seems as though the earlier models I owned were cheaper in price and the quality was better. The new ones use a much cheaper fabric and there is far less reinforcement around the corners. -They are good blinds to hunt from, however the quality for long-term heavy usage just isn't there.

I have purchased an additional blind (the Rhino), which I am very pleased with from all perspectives--very sturdy, all corners are reinforced, high quality material, economical at $200, good blind bag, etc. (Albeit I am just completing my first hunting season with it, and the proof will be more apparent a few years down the road.) DuckhunterBrad noted a lack of customer service with these, however I will note that my experience has been complete opposite as I give them a very high grade in this department.

22-Apr-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Hey 6x6, I still use my old T2 of 18 years. I had to recamo it as the pattern faded over the years. I darkened the inside by using a black upholster paint. Replaced both hubs and two of the rods. Cut an additional window in the middle front. Added some additional fabric to the bottom as the original cut allowed too much light from the bottom, repaired the zipper, added 4 more stake down tabs in the corners, repaired the rod lower rod pockets.

And it still works with a lot of TLC. And the end results was this year so far, killed one mature tom within 5 yards of the blind. I never did ask it's opinion of the blind but I guess he never saw it!

Love the light weight of the t2.

My best, Paul.

I also have a new Dark Horse

22-Apr-15
Anyone have a big-mike blind ? would like to here how they are compared to db ,

22-Apr-15
Paul I knew you had one of the older style T2 blinds like mine. I still love my T2 and will continue to use it I just wanted to get one of the 5 hub type blinds so I can have a little more room and have a different window configuration to shoot through. We must have gotten our T2 blinds at about the same time because I know mine has to be about 20 years old. I regret that I didn't buy a Matrix or a Dark Horse but those aren't even offered by Primos now and I am not sure which is even considered their top of the line blind.

22-Apr-15

Yea, I was luck to purchase a Dark Horse when they were being phased out.

Yea, the zipper door can be an issue getting in and out but there is a "right" way to do it. I also replaced one hub but other than that, it is a quality blind and easy to set up.

Interesting how Double Bull lead the way, and now there are more blind manufactures. Some seem to be not a good in quality.

Hope you find what you need. Paul

22-Apr-15
I have a T2, Matrix, and Dark Horse by DB. All are great blinds and have served me well. I still think Primos has the best blinds and the CS is very good.

22-Apr-15
Big Mike aren't bad. Not real flimsy and similar hub design to DB. Definitely tall. Four big windows. Paul@fort- where did you get the paint? My T2 is faded to where it sticks out like a sore thumb. Would love to improve the camo.

23-Apr-15
I have a Big Mike. Good blind, nice to be able to shoot standing up but easily setup to shoot sitting down as well. Roomy, easy for two guys to hunt comfortably. Recently had an issue with a hub tearing out from the blind wall and they replaced the blind, so the customer service was good as well.

I bought a Rhino XP-1 and when I set it up the first time, the blind was damaged and wouldn't setup correctly. I emailed the company and got a speedy response but never received the replacement blind. Emailed them a few more times over the next few weeks and finally received a response. Hopefully they can remedy my issue before the end of turkey season as I'd been really wanting to use the rhino.

23-Apr-15
I have one DB forgot it's name and what I think is a Primos dark horse.. The DB is one of the first that they made. It has 8 shooting windows and 4 viewing windows. I've had to replace a bunch of the ends on the carbon rod where they go into the hubs.. I like the old 8 window one the best. I dose not have the light skirt around the bottom. Have to push leave up to help keep the light from coming in the bottom. I away take a light fold up chair and a thermarest sleeping bag pad, so I don't have to kneel down on the wet damp ground.. OK! OK! :) I sometime take a nap on it also. :) As for getting the ends of the rods that go on and thru the hubs. Primos has sent them to me twice for free and I got them in about 5 days after the first call.. Kinda wish it had viewing windows on the bottom. That way I would now have to get up from my nap to look outside..:)

It's got to cuts just on the sides of the windows where I hit it shooting at birds.

I also, and no one will change my mine. Brush the tops up. Just brushing the top up and get back 30yds and it's way harder to pick out from when it dose not have brush on top. And believe me the birds think so too. I do finds some birds that shy away from the blinds. Not like what the companies say that birds will not shy away. We need the southern expert to see what he thinks about birds shying away from blinds,, but he's not here anymore.. :)

23-Apr-15
Hawkarcher, ie, Scott. I used Rust-oleum camo paint, it has a non-reflective finish and in a variety of flat colors. Apply a few light coats, better than one heavy one. Also try using a foam brush to apply the paint in some areas. Just spray the paint from the can onto the foam brush and then apply is some areas. I also cut from cardboard, a leaf pattern and used that at a paint stencil.

The drying paint will smell some so let the blind , set up and air out for a few days up to a week.

Teeton, I agree with the top brush in idea, especially if set up in a wide open area where there might be sun glare off of the top. I do this mostly when goose hunting from the Dark Horse, I use a cut leaf camo netting, as the geese are coming in from higher up and can see the top of the blind. Not so much with the blind while turkey hunting as I try to place it in the shade but a few leafed out branches on top, may/ can make a difference.

My best, Paul

23-Apr-15
Thanks Paul. I'll give it a try.

24-Apr-15
I like the pattern Paul, you should patent that. It's like a Predator/ASAT. Look how it blends in with the branches and shadows on the groud? I've always thought ASAT was too tight of a pattern and needs to be opened up more.

• Sitka Gear