weekender21 24-Apr-15
writer 24-Apr-15
Timbrhuntr 24-Apr-15
Timbrhuntr 24-Apr-15
Timbrhuntr 24-Apr-15
writer 24-Apr-15
Timbrhuntr 24-Apr-15
22-Apr-15
Two out of my last three hunts this spring I've had longbeards doing quite a bit of yelping, coming in and at the decoys.

One bird was a solid three-year-old tom who would gobble occasionally, but it seemed like he was trying to behave around a bigger bird that was thumping the jake decoy.

Monday afternoon I worked a pair of two-year-olds, got them to fly across a creek and strut right up to the decoys. They probably responded to my calls 15-20 times but always with yelps and some light cutting. I couldn't even get one to gobble with some aggressive cutting when his buddy was down flopping.

I'm wondering how often other hunters hear gobbler yelping in the spring, and how many have used jake yelping to tick a bird off? One of my son's best Kansas birds was hung up for an hour, then when I hit it with some jake yelps, and jake cut at his gobble, he came on a dead run...emphasis on the "dead." :-)

Chris?

Joe?

I know you guys can tell the difference between hen and tom yelping, and use those calls in the fall.

22-Apr-15
Where's TBM when you need him :)

22-Apr-15
Writer, the first bird I killed this year never gobbled. He acted exactly as you described. We had a discussion back and forth with yelps and he took exception to something I had to say and came right in to settle the matter. Shot him chest bumping the jake decoy.

I have noticed a few other toms acting very similarly and not gobbling when they should be this year. My thought is similar to yours above. There is one very large and very dominant gobbler in the woods I'm hunting. I've seen him charge and attack other 2-3 year old birds on two separate occassions and beat them up pretty good. I think he has most of the other toms running scared. Unfortunately he's a crafty old bird and I've been unable to get him. The jake decoy is no threat to him, he just stands out about 50-70 yards and struts and gobbles and the ladies come to him. I'm thinking about trying him again this weekend but breaking out the strutter to challenge him.

22-Apr-15
You know its eating him up reading all these turkey threads without the ability to post. I imagine we might see a new poster with a familiar style show up.

I hear it fairly often, especially jakes. I've tried to do my best imitation but can't say that is what sealed the deal as it was always mixed in with hen yelps and/or cuts and purrs.

22-Apr-15
michael, this spring (and most) ive heard jakes yelp when a longbeard is around but I rarely ever hear longbeards yelp during the spring time on my hunts. maybe its my calling and it fires up their testosterone or something lol...fall i hear more yelping from longbeards. and on using the jake yelp for a call i rarelly do it but have.

22-Apr-15
Thanks, guys.

Chris, this is the only spring I can remember working two mature birds that yelped...and I've always called pretty aggressively with long runs of yelps and a lot of cutting.

Jake yelping is the last result here, too.

22-Apr-15
GLUNT-So why exactly can't TBM post?

We are still 10 days out here in PA from season, so I can't offer anything on what our birds are doing.

22-Apr-15
My understanding is that his privileges were removed. I assume for too many rule violations.

22-Apr-15
Isn't TBM AWOL?

22-Apr-15
I wondered why things were so quiet during the turkey season.

This will be my first season back out in at least 10 years and first with a bow. I'm reading every turkey thread I can for info, and of course practicing up on my calls.

22-Apr-15
So what does a Jake/Tom yelp sound like? Is it more raspy?

22-Apr-15
Generally a bit slower cadence, and deeper.

22-Apr-15
Right side of the Lynch's WC works great.

23-Apr-15
Was out scouting..( PA ) heard 3 gobblers, one of them came up the mt right near me, he was actually clucking loudly, and yelped a time or two, but also was gobbling.

I never call before season, only listen, so can't really add any thoughts on what his reaction would have been had i been calling with a decoy out.

I do know for a fact that gobblers yelp and cluck, especially in the fall when they are looking for a buddy. Despite the textbook mature gobbler scenario where he thumps every rival gobbler in sight. I have found turkeys to be somewhat sociable even in the spring. While i have killed a number of mature birds in the spring that were alone, i have also killed them when they were in the company of another tom quite often.

Last spring i arrowed a gobbler that was in a group of toms however he was not an old bird, 5" beard. The year before my son and i scored a double on two birds that came in together. the year before that i killed an old tom with a 11 3/4 " beard that was solo.

But yes toms will yelp and cluck occasionally, depending on their mood.

23-Apr-15
I get more yelping from Jakes in the spring than I do Toms but in the fall its a whole different ball game. The whole flock seems to want to yelp in the fall, with an occasional gobble. I'm sure many people mistake the yelp of a jake for a hen. A jakes yelp is deeper in tone and they don't ever seem to want to "finish their sentences" when they talk. Probably because they are stuck between a gobble and a yelp. They will put together 2 1/2 or 3 1/2 yelps when they talk. Never a good solid 5, 6 or more yelps in a string like a hen talking. Even a jakes gobble is more often than not half hearted. There are exceptions but that has been my experience

23-Apr-15
I love all the talk about gobbler yelps lately. I have never really been able to tell much of a difference but sure wish I could. I have watched several toms yelp and would swear they were hens and vise versa by the way it is described. Last year I called in my biggest tom yet 22 lbs, 11 inch beard and 1 3/4 inch sharp spurs. He came in with two other gobblers and never gobbled once. I was lucky I had my gun up because I thought I was aggravating a hen when the tom appeared yelping at me !

23-Apr-15
Sorry about the gun reference but I guess I wasted it since TBM isn't here now !

24-Apr-15
Timbrhubtr, can u please post pic of those 1 3/4 Spurs?

24-Apr-15
Wth did tbm get kicked?? He was far more interesting then 90% of us other posters. He was half the reason I looked at the turkey threads.

24-Apr-15

weekender21's embedded Photo
weekender21's embedded Photo
This group of four jakes came in three different times during my first set-up in Nebraska this year. They were gobbling and doing their best to act like the dominant birds in the area. They finally left for what I thought would be the last time.

A short while later I heard a single Tom gobbling and headed my way. Unfortunately I heard hens too and thought they would drag him away or maybe I would get lucky and they would come to investigate bringing the Tom with them. He showed up first and the hens I was hearing turned out to be the same four jakes acting submissive. Even after I shot the long-beard the jakes wouldn't get too close to him.

24-Apr-15
I saw legit 1 3/4" spurs - twice.

Once on an Osceola, but they tend to grow hooks, quickly and large.

Once on a Missouri Ozark's mega-bird - 26" and change, five beards, legit 1 3/4" spurs. That was 1984...nothing close to it, since.

(I doubt he spent much time yelping in the spring. :-) )

24-Apr-15

Timbrhuntr's embedded Photo
Here ya go !

24-Apr-15

24-Apr-15

24-Apr-15
Heck of a bird, Timbr. Where at?

24-Apr-15
Ontario ! I have taken 2 other toms with 1 1/2" spurs in the same area and one of the ones with this one had spurs at least as long ! They appear to be 3 brothers ! I have been watching them for several years but have never been able to get on them until this day.

• Sitka Gear