Whitetail Deer
Contributors to this thread:
Jaeger63 24-Apr-15
nutritionist 24-Apr-15
r-man 24-Apr-15
Jaeger63 25-Apr-15
ScrubBuck 26-Apr-15
24-Apr-15
I now have a lease in eastern Kansas and was considering a fall/winter food plot to help supplement nutrition for the herd. The amount of different food plot seed that is available seems over whelming for a beginner like myself. I'm interested in a crop that will provide great nutrition thru the winter months and keep coming back after the deer eat it down. I've not done a soil test nor will I be able to do one (at least not this year) as my lease is 7.5 hours away from where I live and I have a hectic work schedule. Any advise on a good seed type and or brand would be greatly appreciated.

24-Apr-15
Without a soil test i only recommend worse case scenarios. Year one should be then deemed soil building and weed prevention.

There is a near full proof mix that can be planted august 1-sept 15th in your area and it's called succulent succotash. It's basically what i shot my 15 point buck in 3 years ago.

This mix comprises, winter rye, barley, rape, turnips, winfred brassica and purple top turnips. It tolerates low pH's, shade, low organic matter levels etc etc. The rye will give you late season forage and early season forage for 2016. It will provide weed suppression for 2016. The barley gives off soil exudates. The rape tolerates the lowest of the low's of pH's and give one late season forage. The turnips loosen the soil and provide winter energy. Lastly as many know, if there is only 1 thing i would be allowed to plant in a year, i'd always choose winfred brassica. It is has the kale genetics in it and it stays green down to 5 degrees. I love growing 5' tall winfred with the big paddle leaves and high nutrition package.

This is as full proof as it gets.

Otherwise if one's needing to plant before the end of June there is a spring version of succulent succotash that i fine tuned last year, called spring greens. What that has is spring triticale, winfred brassica, a multigraze brassica, radish and swiss chard. My deer hammered it from late june thru gun season. Shot my 150 class buck near that little dittie. Clipped it twice and kept it rolling all year. All for about $30 an acre.

24-Apr-15
who sells those mixes, and at what price per pound?

25-Apr-15
Nutritionist, You really seem well versed on food plots. Thanks very much for the info. I second r-man's question. Where can we purchase the succulent succotash?

26-Apr-15
deercreekseed.com very good stuff. i buy from there every year, John (nutritionist) will go out of his way to help anyone. i live in wisconsin and this place has done me good !

• Sitka Gear