Bou'bound 26-Apr-15
midwest 26-Apr-15
Ziek 26-Apr-15
r-man 26-Apr-15
Shrewski 27-Apr-15
Bou'bound 27-Apr-15
Bou'bound 16-May-15
25-Apr-15
It seems one cannot even find quality arrows that are fletched with anything but Blazers these days Why is this what is the advantage of Blazers over 4 inch vanes or feathers

25-Apr-15
nothing, I went back to 4" feathers, they don't mix with rain well , but they stablelize arrow as it leaves the bow instantly .

25-Apr-15
That's what I shoot to but if there was no advantage to these blazers then not every single arrow on the shelf would be fletched with The damn things

25-Apr-15
I do not shoot blazers any more but did for years. really the only advantage I found from 4" to blazer was less drag and better flight in higher winds. I personally like 4" vanes for more steer of the arrow if I was to use a fixed blade. but I use the AAE max hunters which give me more helical and steer than the blazers

25-Apr-15
I've shot Blazers for years. One advantage is the short length gives plenty of clearance for my drop-away rest. Another advantage is durability. Always had problems with 4" vanes eventually curling or laying over. No such problem with Blazers. Only disadvantage is because they're higher profile, I have to reorient my nock to make sure I don't have clearance issues with my cables, but that's an easy fix.

25-Apr-15
If your bow is really tuned up then not much difference. I'd still have a little offset or helical on the Blazers. I shoot 4" helical feathers because it flat works. If I break down on my form during the moment of truth then I still know the feathers will correct my flaws quick and fly my fixed blade trocars true.

25-Apr-15
They're pretty much the only type of vane that works with the WB rest, which is most of the reason why they are so popular with pre-made arrows.

25-Apr-15
I think you can get Lancaster to fletch up whatever vane you want if your order through them.

25-Apr-15
I think you can get Lancaster to fletch up whatever vane you want if your order through them.

25-Apr-15
I fletch up all my own anyway but just curious as to why there are no longer options on he prefetched arrows on the rack

26-Apr-15
Probably b/c they've become the preferred vane. As a business why chance having leftover fletched arrows.

26-Apr-15
ohiohunter

no doubt the question is why are they preferred. nothing above yet indicates a huge advantage or upside over traditional vanes that would lead to this shift in the market.

26-Apr-15
Bou,

The selling point is a vane that steers broadheads as well as traditional broadhead vanes at half the weight. A 3 flectched blazer arrow will weight about 20 grains less than the same arrow fletched with 4" vanes. That will gain 5-6 fps on a chronograph and impress all your buddies. Lol

26-Apr-15
It will also increase FOC (especially if you add an equal amount of weight to the front to keep the same overall weight), making larger vanes unnecessary, give better x-xind performance and penetration potential.

But I doubt any of that is the reason for their "popularity". It's just more economical for shops that pre-fletch arrows to do so with one type and then "sell" that to the vast majority of bowhunters who don't give it much, if any, thought. After all, they do work at least as well as any other fletching, unless you're shooting off the self, and there's no base prep, like some, so they're also efficient for the shop.

26-Apr-15
Is it possible to get any helical it all on Blazers

26-Apr-15
I don't shoot Blazers currently but the Arizona EZ Fletch Mini puts a GREAT helical on the short vanes.

26-Apr-15
I use the EZ fletch mini. The amount of helical a clamp type jig can put on is dependent on shaft diameter and fletch length, while still getting full, consistent contact as the vane spirals around the shaft. The mini, and other similar jigs, can be designed to put as much helical on as the flex in the vane material will allow.

26-Apr-15
I had to shave a 1/4" off blazer to clear a quick tune rest, they are very durable and perfect the average hunter, but they are to stiff for me with my current set up, they are here to stay, because they work. Just wont work for a flipper or off the shelf.

27-Apr-15
Bou

The degree of helical is the same out of your clamp whether 2", 4", or 5.5". It is just harder to see on the little ones.

Bohning makes a jig just for the Blazer that puts quite a bit of helical on.

The Blazer is stiff. I've seen hi speed video comparing them to standard vanes; Blazers keep their shape/profile, standard vanes flop over.

I assume most use them because that's what the TV personalities all use. I use them occasionally because they will steer a 260g Snuffer out of my recurve in nasty wet weather.

27-Apr-15
thanks guys

16-May-15

• Sitka Gear