Contributors to this thread:
Frank Sanders 25-Apr-15
Bou'bound 25-Apr-15
Frank Sanders 25-Apr-15
1boonr 25-Apr-15
Two Feathers 25-Apr-15
David Alford 26-Apr-15
25-Apr-15
I am an outfitter and some clients I have swear by the Ozonics and then some I've talked to said they still get busted. I don't think anything is 100% by any means, still need to hunt smart no matter what, just stacking odds in one's favor helps..... Just looking for some input from those who have experience with them. Thanks

25-Apr-15
Messages posted to thread:

Private Reply

I was thinking of buying an Ozonic's. I have heard mixed reviews from friends. Some swear by it some say they don't work. Has anyone used one? How do they perform? Would you recommend one? Thanks for the info.

Private Reply

You might want to use the search function; this subject comes up fairly often. Warning in advance: 90% of the opinions are by those who've never used one. :)

Private Reply

I'd put that number a little higher than 90%!

Private Reply

10% of the responses are from guys who got fleeced for $200 and are trying to feel better about it

Private Reply

I don't have one but I hear they work really well if you set up downwind of the critters. :)

Private Reply

I went with an outfitter in Iowa a couple of years ago. He insisted that I use his. Never got busted once. I bought one and can say that I haven't been busted yet. I take all the usual precautions clean clothes, stand placement, scent killer etc. I may get busted the next time I use it, and it may be a coincidence, I don't know but I'll keep using it till then. It may turn out to be a total waste of money but if it does it won't be the only money that I've ever wasted on hunting gear. LOL

Private Reply

I used an Ozonics on a whitetail hunt in Iowa. I had a number of deer directly downwind (20-50 yards) that did not spook or even look my way. From my limited experience (1 week), it worked as advertised. The Ozonics itself is pricey, especially considering the useful add-ons (carrying case, etc). Mounting it in the dark is not too difficult or noisy, just a bit longer until you can sit still. If you plan to sit all day during the rut, you will need an additional XL battery (another bit of $$$). In my home state of PA, using an Ozonics is not a lawful method of hunting, so check your local regs.

I plan to use it this spring on a bear hunt in Manitoba- will see if it works as well.

Private Reply

Gobbler X2.

Private Reply

I was wrong above. The price is 400 not 200

Private Reply

In a ground blind it may help reduce scent, but in a tree stand I find it hard to believe that it will produce enough to cover. It's your hard earned money, up to you if you want to throw it away.

Private Reply

At what point are hunters taking unfair advantage? Why do so many insist on trying to remove the challenge? I thought we were supposed to be proud and embraced "Doing it the hard way."

Private Reply

When they first came out I sword I would never own one. We'll I was wrong I borrowed nod three years ago and now I own one. It has worked for me. Nothing works a 100% of the time but this works 90% of the time and has helped me put tags on a few nice bucks.

Private Reply

I have used the earlier model for 3 years now on my friends property in his back yard. Wind has always been perfect so the unit has not helped all that much but have never been busted the few times I had a deer downwind. Now the town changed the regs and I am forced to put my treestand in the swamp in the only tree that is available. No other tree on the property that I can use. Now 90% of the deer movement will be coming from downwind and my scent will be right in their face. I am getting the newer model to use plus spraying down as much as possible. This year should be a great test of the unit.

Private Reply

Until someone invents something that makes scent visible, there is no way to know if anything that reduces or eliminates scent really works... "Doing it the hard way" went down the tubes a very long time ago.... People say that and then buy every gadget and piece of technology known to mankind.

Private Reply

"Until someone invents something that makes scent visible, there is no way to know if anything that reduces or eliminates scent really works..." Try this - cut an onion and rub some onion on the top of your hand. Smell it. Now put the top of your hand in front of the Ozonics unit for 120 seconds. Pull your hand away and smell your hand again. Still smell like onion or onion smell gone?

Private Reply

I bought an ozome generator for de-scenting my clothes and it worked really well. I hunt in Ohio where the winds swirl really badly. I have been busted on several occasions. It doesn't matter where you set up, by the time things get calmed down from getting into the woods, the winds will have changed direction a couple times. At the camp I hunt. you can't shower every day and I hunt pretty far back, so I am usually swaeting by the tme I get into the stand, so I am acttually looking at getting a unit. I figure, it can't hurt, and if it gets me a couple yards closer to big buck, it'd be worth it. Good luck, Jay

Private Reply

Buck Watcher's Supporting Link

I posted this about "Ozonics" a while back on a different site, asking about stinking new boots. I don't have the Ozonics brand. Here it is: I do have an Ozone producer and for me it works wonders. It is: Oxy Elim-A-Scent Pro by Buck Country Products

Get one of these. They make 3 sizes. This is the middle one. The have a pocket size and a 120v for a room/closet/RV/shack. It is an Ozone producer. Man does it work. I gave it a good try. I have been using them for 3 years now.

Put your boots in a box with it for a few days. You will laugh out loud when you smell your boots. You may have to do a few times, the smell will come out from deeper in the leather but it will work. It is amazing.

This is what sold me on it. I have a Resort. A few Octobers ago, I had 2 guys with 2 dogs spend 5 days with us. They are bird hunters and come every year now. After they left the cabin smelled like wet dog. I put the big one (120v) on top the fridge and left it on high for 2 days, with all the windows shut. Smell was gone. Now I use them in cottages quite often. Ever smell an empty garlic/seasoning container. No matter how many times you wash or soak it with bleach, it still smell like garlic? Put it under one of these and pick it up the next morning. It won't smell.

I used to spray all my stuff before and after every hunt. Not any more. Never have to spray my bow anymore either. I put one in my truck during season too. I use one in any blind I am in. I had on old doe walk entirely around a ground blind at less than 8 yards. Never spooked.

And if you have a teenage boy put the big one in his room and everyone will be happy.

Private Reply

goldy2416 - Do you mind posting or directing me to the PGCS regs that state using an Ozonics is not a lawful method of hunting?

Ive never seen it and will look for it, but if you can point me in the right direction, it'll help.

Private Reply

Don't know if it works for hunting or not, but have used ozone machines quite a bit to get the smell out of RV's, remote cabins, interiors of cars, etc. Works well for those applications.

Private Reply

Not saying they work or don't work.... Just saying that all this stuff "ain't doing it the hard way", but if a person likes all the technological stuff, go for it. Also....can't compare what a human can smell/detect with what a deer, dog, etc. can detect...

Private Reply

I was given a new unit last year. My friend who gave it to me whitetail hunts appx 30 days a year in several states. He been using it for the better part of two seasons and despite being very critical of the idea and its use, he swore by it after the first season. I gave it an honest try last season, I hunted in threes states for 19 days and used it each sit. I felt it worked and work well in several situations were I should have been winded. Watching deer reactions to entering the scent cone of the unit was an eye opener. A couple times I even used milk weed to check wind in relation to visible deer and again.. the deer should have had different reactions then what I seen. I honestly felt it worked well.

Private Reply

flor those using ozonics with a HECS suit how can you tell if it is the ozonics or the HECS suit that is making the difference?

Private Reply

If they get close enough for the hecs to be effective, they will have already heard the ozonics.

Private Reply

If a cloaking device came out which would make you invisible and you could walk right up to an animal and stab it with a knife would you use it? At some point when does hunting stop being called hunting? If you combine scent-lok , hecs, and ozonics you should kill a deer every time your on stand, right? Didn't scent-lok lose a law suit due to improper advertising claims of their product?

Private Reply

What about Nose Jammer LB ? That work ?

Private Reply

LOL Bou! Mark

25-Apr-15
Thanks

25-Apr-15
I bought one and tried hunting with the wind blowing right into the sanctuary north of my property. I never had one deer come from that way while using it. I did however have several does snort at me every time I hunted. anybody that says they work is kidding themselves. there have been many times that I have had deer downwind of me at closer range, inside 30 yards with and without ozonics that didn't smell me. it's the longer range stuff, over 50 yards that would be good to cover. like scentloc before, this is the modern day version of snakeoil.

25-Apr-15
I don't use it but I believe ozone works and I wouldn't consider it a modern day snake oil.

26-Apr-15
O3 does reduce odors so I would give it a chance to work, but I just don't want a machine around me. If I could spray it on, that would be better.

• Sitka Gear