dhaverstick 26-Apr-15
t-roy 26-Apr-15
Bowme2 26-Apr-15
bnt40 27-Apr-15
Mad_Angler 27-Apr-15
DEC 27-Apr-15
Southern draw 27-Apr-15
25-Apr-15
I was supposed to go to my farm to hunt this weekend but my father-in-law got bad sick so my wife took off to help her family out and I stayed home to take care of the dogs. I can hunt behind our house but 5 acres ain't much when it comes to turkeys. Nevertheless, it was the hand I was dealt so I was gonna play it.

Since I can't wander around much, I usually opt to bowhunt the birds that cross my place. There is a big field next door that they love to feed and strut in. Unfortunately, I can't hunt it so I just have to catch them coming and going. I put up my blind at the bottom of the hill a couple of days ago and got in it just a little after 6 this morning. The wind was blowing pretty hard and I figured the gobbling would be minimal. It turned out to be nothing so after an hour of tomb-like silence, I decided to go back up to the house and come back for the late morning session. I usually see more birds at that time of day anyway.

I got back into position just a little after 10. I did a series of calls, got out my book and started to while away the time. My dekes were enjoying the sunshine a scant 5 yards in front of me. After 20 minutes or so, I started another series of calls and was shocked to hear a gobble less than 100 yards away. I can't course a bird worth a damn inside of a blind so I wasn't exactly sure where he was at. Then I hear a hen start yelping and I think, "Game on!"

So I started calling to the hen and she's coming in from my right side. I figure the tom is with her but then he gobbles and he is on my left. He's not hot but I know he's interested. The hen and I trade yelps back and forth until she is now 20 yards out and sees my decoys. She does not like that. She doesn't come a step closer and starts cutting. The tom gobbles again so I start cutting. He shuts up and after a few cuts back and forth I decide that maybe I should try to calm her down. I start doing some purring and clucking and she finally settles down and goes on about her business. Great! One less thing to jack this up for me.

So after another 10 minutes of silence, I peek out the blind window and am startled to see my longbeard all puffed up about 20 yards out to my left. He is doing a slow stroll towards the decoys and I know I am gonna get a shot. At about 12 yards, he turns broadside to me and I almost draw then but I know he's gonna start whipping on my jake decoy so I let him come the rest of the way.

Finally, he is behind the jake and is posturing for all to see. He turns quartering away from me and that is when I draw. I pick a spot right at the wing butt and let the string go.

Ole tom goes keister over tin cup as the arrow goes through him. He starts flopping and then gets up and starts running off. Now is where it gets interesting. Have you ever seen a grown man try to claw his way out of a ground blind? I couldn't get the damn latches open! Finally I free myself, grab my bow and an arrow and the chase is on. I vault over an old barbed wire fence like an Olympic hurdler and tear through the underbrush as my bird is doing his best to get away. How I kept from impaling myself on a broadhead is a mystery to me.

So after about a 100 yard chase through some nasty stuff, the gobbler is give out. I quickly run up on his spread out body and put one more arrow through him for good measure. He expires and I say a little prayer to his spirit for providing me with meat and memories. He is the first gobbler I have ever killed in the spring with a bow after many, many years of trying. And to top it off, he is a dandy; 23 pounds, 10" beard, right spur is 1.5" and the left spur is 1.25". He is a trophy that I will carry in my mind for the rest of my days.

Darren

My trophy  photo SpringGobbler1-6Small_zps7wt9vxrw.jpg

The setup  photo SpringGobbler1-7Small_zpsln7sh0wv.jpg

A view from the blind  photo SpringGobbler1-8mall_zpsrj9tzt5v.jpg

Now I gotta pack him up the hill and clean him!  photo SpringGobbler1-9mall_zpstjxsh8h2.jpg

25-Apr-15
Good for you! Nice write up! Hope your Father-n-law is feeling better! C

25-Apr-15
Anything with a longbow is nice to see. Thank you for sharing.

25-Apr-15
Great great story!!! These are the best. Good job and congrats:)

25-Apr-15
Congratulations and thanks for bringing me along!!

25-Apr-15
Great job! What kind of blind is that in the original Predator pattern?

25-Apr-15
Congrats and nice turkey!

25-Apr-15
excellent,,,congrats!

25-Apr-15
From start to finish, that is one neat story!

My best, Paul

25-Apr-15
Nicely done!

25-Apr-15
Congrats on a successful hunt on many levels! Well done!

25-Apr-15
Awesome! I got my first archery turkey with an old Bear 76'r last year. Exact same model and specs as the one I had as a teenager, it sure eclipsed all my other gun killed turkeys in my mind and heart! Congrats!

25-Apr-15
Nice! Your a badass!

26-Apr-15
Good stuff!

26-Apr-15
Nice! Congrats!!

26-Apr-15
Congrats on a great bird!

26-Apr-15
Super nice bird and a great hunt story. I'm with Vines; if it starts with a longbow it's gonna be good.

26-Apr-15
Great bird! Congrats!

26-Apr-15
Awesome job!

26-Apr-15
Nicely done.

Well told.

BTDT, trying to get out of the blind, too! :-)

26-Apr-15
Thanks all!

Midwest, that is a Hidden Hunter blind made up in Michigan somewhere. Ron LaClair sells them on his website. They are awesome! Easy to set up with lots of room for your bow. It is the only blind I know of that has windows low enough to shoot something really close with a bow....like a turkey.

Darren

26-Apr-15
Congrats on your perserverence & your success Darren!

Great story as well.

26-Apr-15
That's good stuff! Nice story as well. Congratulations!

27-Apr-15
Congratulations on a fine bird and thanks for sharing the story. Well done!

27-Apr-15
Nice bird. Great story. Thanks for sharing.

27-Apr-15
That is bad ass! Congrats man!

27-Apr-15
Thanks for sharing and congrats

• Sitka Gear