bowcrazyJRHCO 11-May-15
cnelk 11-May-15
Barty1970 12-May-15
Charlie Rehor 12-May-15
cnelk 12-May-15
Barty1970 12-May-15
26-Apr-15

Start My Hunt's Link
Hi, my name is Mike and I am a new sponsor to Bowsite. Having a hard time deciding which GMU to hunt? I have developed a product that ranks all the GMUs within CO based upon their unique characteristics. You simply fill out the online questionnaire based on your preferences and I send a report that ranks the GMUs based on your answers. The questions cover GMU characteristics such as percent of land open to the public, elk density, road density, hunter density, and amount of wilderness lands to name a few.

26-Apr-15
Mike - Sent you a PM inquiry.

10-May-15

Start My Hunt's Link
Want to find the right GMU for CO elk hunting that matches your preferences for an ideal hunting experience? What if my information could tell you which GMUs had the highest percentage of alpine, wilderness area, road density, percent of public land, etc. Take a look and see what you think.

10-May-15

coldstalker's Link
How is that any different then what DIY Hunting Maps has for free with their Hunt Selector? I will say finding the perfect unit is a pain though! So much data available these days!

10-May-15
Just check it out and you might be surprised.

11-May-15
A lot can be done for free by looking at statistics, land status maps, and google earth! Obviously if you don't have time to do this yourself a service like this may speed up the process and narrow down choices. Obviously it helps knowing what characteristics to look for and where to access that information when researching potential GMU's and hunting locations.

11-May-15
As a Non-Resident in any elk state [by a factor of several thousand miles], any intel such as this can only be of assistance when planning my elk hunt

I'm not looking for a treasure map with X marking a 330" bull, but a distillation of the variables which all elk hunters face; I will have already done a considerable amount of work prior to using a service such as this, and as I cannot scout on the ground, save for a few days before season, any and all additional preparation will assist my elk hunting education

11-May-15
All good points above. Some of this research can be completed online with a considerable amount of time and effort. However, what you will not find online are some of the characteristics such as the percent of alpine, the percent of seasonal ranges, road density, or the amount of forested vs. open meadow broken down bt GMU. These are all unique to my service and can help fine tune your choice for your GMU.

11-May-15

bowcrazyJRHCO's embedded Photo
bowcrazyJRHCO's embedded Photo
I recently purchased Startmyhunt maps and thought they were very useful - they opened my eyes to potential spots that I was not seeing on my other maps. I had hunted the area and used several other maps - including GE and CPW.

A lot of research is Free on GE and CPW - but I'm sure everyone still buys maps. Mike is providing a useful service for two types of hunters:

-those who don't know where or how to "start".

-Or for hunters like me, Mike's maps provide another opinion on my area. A very informed, insightful opinion.

He definitely helped narrow my focus for my soon to start scouting efforts this summer.

11-May-15
I have hunted several GMUs for over 20 years. I also have used GE and other mapping strategies. I contacted Mike and selected a specific area to compare what I knew and what his maps told me.

The data was good enough for me to find NEW 2-3 spots that I will be checking out and confirmed my area on what I already knew.

Good stuff for sure

12-May-15
Suggestion from the floor, if I may please...

I am really looking to hunting elk this season [albeit vicariously, through the wonders of technology and the steam-powered interweb] and always get super-excited to see how fellow Bowsiters' elk season has gone, cow, spike or 400" monster

So, as well as the Meatpole '15 thread, is there any mileage in a [debate-free?] thread where guys who have opted to purchase and use Start My Hunt's maps can let us know what worked, didn't work, likes, dislikes etc.?

Just a thought

Good luck and good hunting!

12-May-15
Cnelk: Before we took Start My Hunt as a Bowsite Sponsor I had Lou Phillippe do an evaluation with a GMU he knew like the back of his hand and he said the same thing.

I think the majority of guys buying these maps will be buying it for areas they already hunt! Good luck all! C

12-May-15
Ah yes.. good ol' Lou... We fish and drink beer together. I also give him pics for his magazine articles :)

12-May-15
If Senor Jaquomo say yes...good enough for me :-)

12-May-15
Agree with Charlie....I don't go about deciding what unit to hunt this way. I already pretty much know what unit I'm going to hunt next but I'm always wanting to find out more about those units...some of them are really big and it takes years to get really smart about some of the big ones.

I have used "services" like this before and it has paid off in animals....I likely have some business for you from others that I know.

• Sitka Gear