pav 24-Apr-18
midwest 24-Apr-18
grubby 24-Apr-18
Wayniac 24-Apr-18
otcWill 24-Apr-18
12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Our journey started a little over a year ago. My middle daughter had always been fascinated by all things hunting and outdoors. A million questions, a million answers, and a lot of time explaining things on the Outdoor channel! Well she finally asked if she could have a bow. I think it took us longer to get our shoes on then it did to make the decision to head over to the archery shop! After all, when the girliest little princess you know wants to do something you love with you who am I to say no!

12-May-15
She of course picked out the pinkest bow on the rack. A Bear Apprentice 3, throw in some pink tiger striped arrows, a pink Scott Hero release, and a pink hip quiver and she was ready! We started slow over the summer and shot a lot of 3D and slowly built her up to the minimum draw weight requirement for SD which is 30 pounds. She got better and better as the summer, fall and winter progressed. I do think we're going to need to get "half pint" some new boots though before we head to the woods! Those fuzzy boots just aren't going to cut it.

12-May-15
This spring after a lot of practice and a lot of study half pint passed her bowhunter education course, was shooting great, and was ready to head to the woods in pursuit of her first archery trophy. She was determined to get a bigger turkey then her mother and of course a bigger one than mine!

I have to give a shout out here to our local archery shop in Sioux Falls, Archery Outfitters and Kim and Deb Meester. They have been incredibly helpful and supportive of our kids as they've grown with archery making the shop and range one of their favorite places to visit. If you are in the Sioux Falls area and looking for a place to shoot or purchase gear or get a new bow I can't recommend them enough, especially if you're looking to get your kids started.

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Half pint's first chance to go turkey hunting came and she was up at 4:30 am ready to go! Her mother would be joining us as well and we were off to the woods!

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I almost forgot an important pre-hunt task! She had to make her sign for Chris and Joe's future of hunting contest! A trip to California to hunt turkeys? That raised the stakes to a whole new level! We must have checked Joe and Chris's turkey adventure thread 100 times looking at the pictures, Kia dreaming of the trip she was sure to win to shoot turkeys and see movie stars behind every tree! Ha!

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Our first turkey outing the weather man was not our friend. It was cold and very windy. The turkeys weren't very vocal and were not in the mood for love. We managed to call a couple hens in and heard one gobbler but nothing close. It was more or less just a good morning for a nap I guess!

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
A couple weeks passed before half pint was able to head back out to the woods. She's very involved in gymnastics and track and field and other activities at school so time is limited for her to get out in the field with all the busy social activities of a middle schooler! We headed back out and the weather looked much more promising. Her mother would again be shooting back up!

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Right away I knew this morning would be quite different than the last time she had gone out with me. Several gobblers were very vocal on the roost and we were able to set up in a good spot to get action right off the roost. Has the future of hunting finally arrived?

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
A few soft tree yelps to let them know where we were and we waited for fly down. We listened to the woods filled with gobbling and hen talk for 5-10 minutes before we heard the rustle of wings as they flew to the ground. I gave some soft yelps and eventually got into an argument with a hen. She took exception to something I said and decided to come let me know how she felt about it. Right behind her was a big tom. They approached our set-up and I could see the arrow shaking on Half Pint's bow. I think we all remember the first time we had that feeling in the woods of a game animal approaching our stand or blind with stick and string in our hands. I know I will never forget it. Here he comes....

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I could sense her excitement next to me in the blind as I coaxed the tom in to the decoys. He saw the DSD jake and continued right in the set-up at 10 yards. Half Pint was ready, hand on bow, release clicked on the loop like a pro, just waiting for him to clear the jake and give her the chance she's been waiting for!

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The tom cleared the decoys and half pint drew her bow slowly and smoothly just like we'd trained. She steadied her pin and settled it in the spot she had learned by looking at the shot placement threads on bowsite with me. Hand steady, anchor set, she touched off her release.....and her arrow sailed harmlessly between the tom's legs. In her excitement to see her arrow on it's way to destiny she just couldn't wait to get that bow out of the way, dropping her bow arm causing the shot to go low. Disappointed but not defeated....

12-May-15
C'mon........

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We had a few toms interested but could not get any more to commit that morning. There's always something to do while you wait I guess....is that always a good thing? I'm sure some of you father's and husbands can relate to this sight.

12-May-15
I'm pulling for you half pint...

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We called it a day and headed back to the truck. She had two days this weekend free so we could always hunt again in the morning. If anyone ever finds two vertically challenged women lost in the woods, please return them to me!

12-May-15
Great thread already! Thanks for posting

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Is that bow heavy Half Pint? I'm sure I can probably sling it on this load somewhere. 3 chairs, a double bull blind, and 2 DSD decoys, what's another few pounds?

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Quit your crying old man. This stuff isn't even heavy!

12-May-15
Awesome thread! Thanks for posting.

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The next morning broke and she was ready to go before I was. Even more determined than before to get her turkey and make her dreams come true! We got set-up and were in a good position again this morning. Three toms were very vocal nearby on the roost. We talked back and forth a little to let them know where we were and I showed half pint how to simulate a hen flying down from the tree. It wasn't long until we heard a rustle in the leaves directly behind the blind and half pint grabbed her bow in excitement....I think all of us whitetail hunters know the feeling of what caused that rustle...

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I periodically let out a few yelps and clucks to sound like a contented hen. It wasn't long until we had a gobbler light up right behind us. I gave him a few soft yelps and half pint scratched the leaves like I had taught her. A few moments later two toms appeared out of the side of the blind coming right for the jake decoy. Half pint had her bow in hand and was ready, this time she was determined that she would make it count.

You'll have to forgive me some of the bad picture quality...all of these were taken on our phones, some of them through the blind mesh, this one in particular. I did not take any photos of the birds in the decoys and I regret that greatly. I'm not ashamed to say that I was simply too excited for my daughter and too busy coaching at that point to remember to snap any pics. Nichole was so nervous for Kia I think she was too petrified to take any! Ha!

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The two toms marched right in to our set-up and began chest bumping the jake decoy. Half Pint slowly and steadily drew her bow...she again steadied her pin and set her kisser button just like she had learned and practiced a 1,000 times. She touched off her release and there was an explosion of feathers and the tom cackled and jumped and ran off into the woods.....would she be able to celebrate at the end of the trail like her mother? Or would there be more disappointment?

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
...unfortunately for Half Pint I saw the shot clearly. It was too far back and low, essentially hitting the tom right towards the base of his tail. We recovered the arrow and there was a little blood, a lot of feathers, and there might have even been a tear or two...but she was still determined to end her hunt with more than just a handful of feathers!

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The day ended with a few more gobbles but no more encounters and we headed back to the truck dejected but still with smiles on our faces! We knew we had one more day to hunt two weeks down the road. It would be in another area that held less turkeys and we didn't like our odds but we'd give it a go anyway.

12-May-15
Half pint is probably one of the happiest kids I know, always smiling and always trying to look out for others. No one wanted her to get a turkey more than I did and I don't think any one deserves one more than Kia. She's received a very big award for helping an autistic boy at her school through out an entire school year, does varsity high school gymnastics as a seventh grader, and is on the honor roll. I'm a pretty proud and lucky guy to have her and her brother and sister in my life and I think this picture shows how happy and proud she makes us.

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Well, game time for our final hunt of the year! Last chance for half pint to punch her tag! She's ready and we're determined to make it happen!

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The morning was a nice one and we had a tom going right away off the roost. He gobbled, and he gobbled some more getting closer all the time. I sweet talked him in to 25 yards and half pint again had bow in hand, ready to do battle! Then the tom did something that turkeys sometimes do, he hung up outside of the decoys. This was easily a 3 year old bird and he'd been around the block. An epic battle commenced between myself and this tom, me trying to sweet talk him him with soft yelps and purrs into the decoys and him knowing that the hen is supposed to come to him, never paying the jake much attention. This battle went on for all of 45 minutes, Half Pint even bowed her head and prayed for him to make a mistake and venture inside of her range limit of 20 yards while I whispered sweet nothings in his ear.

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
....but as we all know sometimes it ends well for us and sometimes it ends well for the turkey. This time it ended well for the turkey. He eventually figured out what was going on and moved off slowly to find a more cooperative hen that didn't seem so suspicious. We moved to a different area and half pint set the decoys and was ready for the final round!

12-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Our final spot of the season ended up being a bust much to our dismay. Kia had an afternoon planned with a gymnastics teammate so we got ready to head home. I think she would have stayed in the blind the entire day but she didn't want to disappoint her friend much as is her style. She learned a very good lesson though in her first season as an archer, more times than not it doesn't all come together the way we want it to. Then she said something to me that made me prouder than any turkey ever could have, "Thanks for taking me hunting with you and mom. Even though I didn't get a turkey I made memories that will last longer than any turkey." What a kid, and as we walked back to the truck we both slapped hands and said there's always next year! Now about that buck you promised me this fall.....to be continued in September!

12-May-15
Awesome story! Congrats on being a great dad!

12-May-15
Congrats and thanks for sharing

12-May-15
Great thread! Thanks for taking us along!

12-May-15
Awesome... good times for sure!

Congratulations for making precious memories!

12-May-15
Great thread ! Congrats to her for trying, there's always next year ,

12-May-15
Nice job Dad and Mom! Getting a shot at a bird the first season is exciting enough and she will appreciate the first bird she gets in the future more. The jurney is what is important to us all.

12-May-15
Great stuff!

12-May-15
Go Kia, Go!

(Wish I wouldn't have known the ending before I started reading it....)

Be warned, Brotsky, you have daughter who has the predator gene AND the fashion gene.

Those kind get pretty expensive, and have a way of working themselves even deeper into a Daddy's heart. :-)

12-May-15
brotsky, this was probably the best thread I have read so far this year. Congrats on your time in the spring woods and on having a wonderful family. I wish half pint all the luck this fall and I know sooner then later shes gonna connect on her first kill. Tell her great job as well on her effort in the woods and on her sign as she is the future of hunting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12-May-15
Brotsky, u r a lucky and blessed man. Congrats!!

12-May-15
Great job!

12-May-15
You guys are adorable! Making it all about her, that's the way to do it.

Gonna be a tough act to follow when the boys come knockin'! Great job, Dad!

Best of Luck, Jeff

12-May-15
What a great story. You ought to be proud.

12-May-15
Awesome thread!!!

What life is about right there!!

12-May-15
Thanks for the comments guys. I know she's going to enjoy reading them. She was a little down at first after not getting her bird. She looks at the pictures on here with me and thinks EVERYONE must get one!

12-May-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
I just know the jar of "cute" pills was full then this hunt started, and now it is half empty.

"Kia, here's looking at you kid!"

My best, Paul

12-May-15
That was awesome! Enjoyed it immensely and thank you for sharing.

12-May-15
Way to go "Pop"! Great thread! It will always be here on Bowsite! Many more! C

12-May-15
That's hunting Kia, your persistence will soon pay off! Congrats to you both on a great story and adventure!

12-May-15
Fantastic all the way around. You my friend are a great Dad. Hunt

13-May-15
Awesome great times

13-May-15
Congratulations on the memories of getting to spend so much time with your daughter. It is time both of you will cherish. I know I cherish mine. Her time is coming and it will be worth it. Great thread and thanks for sharing it!

13-May-15
That is one of the greatest family hunting stories I've ever read. So many things done "right"! Love the photos too -- enjoy the memories, I'm sure you will be making many more.

Bill

14-May-15
Great story. You're doing things right.

14-May-15
Way to go Brotsky That father daughter hunt is as good as it gets. Your smiles and memories of that hunt will last forever. I thought I recognized the trail you were on. It’s a beautiful area. We are blessed in our area to have archery clubs that really support our youth as well as great parents. Well done to the father and daughter

14-May-15
This story is incredible! Congratulations on having the best life-long hunting partners any dad could hope for. I hope to make similar memories with my three little kids someday soon.

14-May-15
As the father of two daughters, I thought my cheeks were going to crack as I sat here and ready Kia's story!

Great job Brotsky, Mom and Kia..."You all done good!!!"

Those SD deer better look out!

Good things come to good people!

Mark

14-May-15
Great story & write up! Stick with it Kia, it will happen! :)

>>>>------->

14-May-15

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Half Pint read through the thread last night and gives everyone's comments two thumbs up! She was grinning ear to ear reading her story and reading everyone's support for her. Thanks guys!

15-May-15
Great job bringing your daughter into hunting! Great story and really looking forward to the sequel as it appears half pint is a real go getter and well on her way to a bright future. Enjoy the moment.

15-May-15
Wow what a great hunting story ! I know can't wait for the sequel !

15-May-15
Best story I've read in awhile. Lots of reasons to be a proud dad Brotsky.

15-May-15
Half-Pint....We were all in your corner cheering for you.

When you get that 1st big gobbler next season (And you will!)the celebration will be just a little sweeter.

And then after many, many, many hunting seasons have come and gone you can take your "Old Dad" into the Woods and guide him to a big gobbler!

15-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I thought I'd bump this back up for the year and let everyone know that half pint is back on the turkey hunt!! She's had two great chances already this season and next week she'll have two more chances to hunt. I think maybe half pint and I will do a live hunt next weekend, if we get enough guys in her corner maybe it will break her turkey curse!

15-Apr-16
I'm cheering big time!!!!! Hope she gets it done.... Routing from nor Cali!

15-Apr-16
Looks more like 5/8 pint this year. :-)

Keep us going. I'll be visiting our daughter out in in So Cal next weekend, and it would be fun to check from time to time.

16-Apr-16
We're rooting for her here in MN!

16-Apr-16
Go get em half pint !!! Rooting for ya in Ohio!

16-Apr-16
Great story! Next time half-pint.

16-Apr-16
Threads like this confirm we have a solid bow hunting future! Have fun! C

16-Apr-16
Good luck half pint. You will get him next round.

16-Apr-16
Good luck guys. My daughter is interested in the recipe for breaking the curse too.

16-Apr-16
Great job with Kia Brotsky! I raised 4 daughters so I am loving this thread.

Stay at it Kia, you will get one, and when you do, you will never forget it!

16-Apr-16
Nothing worthwhile comes easy. She did a great job and it happens to the old as well as the young. Congrats to you Brotsky, for taking the time, and congrats to Kia for being a trooper. Success will come, just keep pounding !

And Paul, that gobbler looks positively evil ! :)

16-Apr-16
Good luck half pint and family!

16-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Scott, she can't get out until next weekend due to other activities, etc.

Thanks for the support guys! She looks at this thread and knows she has a bunch of bowhunters in her corner! She says "we're getting this done this year!"

16-Apr-16
Brotsky, Half Pint and Mom,

You guys make a great team that fully understands and enjoys ALL that life has to offer!!!

Bowhunting is hard.......but so fun and rewarding!

Kia, you will get your turkey before you know it!!!

Awesome Family Adventure!!!

Mark

17-Apr-16
Good luck.....pulling for ya from TX!

17-Apr-16
Great thread, we're rooting for you all!

18-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Half Pint is fired up and ready to go for this coming weekend! Hopefully I can keep her focused on school work and gymnastics practice this week. She's read the comments and appreciates everyone's support!

Here's a crappy screen shot from her last hunt a week ago, you can see her pink arrow zipping on it's way to the tom. You can already tell from her trajectory it's going to be low. She grazed the back of his legs and came home with a handful of feather. He actually gave her a second shot but she was rushing that one afraid they were going to leave and used the wrong pin. We've had a lot of training in the past week on the old saying "Hit them high, watch them die. Hit them low, watch them go." I have a very good feeling that the next tom she sees is not going to be so lucky!

18-Apr-16
Sweet!

18-Apr-16
Good luck to Half Pint! Brings back a lot of great memories getting my daughter started into bowhunting. I ended up having the best luck setting the decoys at about 4 to 5 yards for her. She is 13 now and just arrowed her 10th and 11th for her career this Spring.

18-Apr-16
Thanks for the tip Beav! I've generally been setting them at 8-9 yards for her. The problem I get with setting them closer is the reason for her nickname. She's short in stature and setting them that close causes problems with her shooting the blind! Don't ask me how I know! Ha!

18-Apr-16
I understand the dilemma. What I did with her first couple was have her shoot standing up. I practiced in the yard by setting up the blind and moving the decoys to where she could see the jake in the middle of the window standing up. That ended up being about 4-5 yards. Good luck!

19-Apr-16
Brotsky,

This is a great story! Can't beat time in the woods with your kids! Good luck out there!

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Well we called a giant in right off the roost to 10 yards and she put an arrow in him. It looked like an okay shot but he ran in circles and over the top of the hill. We're going to give him 90 minutes and go look. I'm hoping against hope it wasn't in the breast!

22-Apr-16
This is great!! Looking forward to the next update!! Did you have it on video, so you can review the shot?

22-Apr-16
Fingers crossed, good luck on recovery......can't wait to hear/see the results!!!!!!!

22-Apr-16
I did not video it, I should have. She has two tags so we'll just wait until we're done for the day to look. Lots of gobbling this morning, decent chance we can call another one in for her. She had arrow hanging out both sides of the first one, just really nervous she was a little far forward and got all breast meat.

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Down to 2 bullets! Ha!

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Kids have it made. They can sleep anywhere, anytime!

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Ladies only? Come on gobblers!

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Turning into a ladies aid meeting. Kia says we should have made tea and biscuits! Ha!

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Dang you're good looking Jake!

22-Apr-16
Good luck Brotsky!!!! Hope there is a dead bird waiting for you guys!!

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Uh-oh..empty magazine! LOL!

22-Apr-16
Scott, I advocated for the bullheads but she's a stubborn one like her mother! Ha! She wants to get it done her way. Just had another nice tom at 6 yards, clean miss two times. We're reloaded now so hopefully they keep coming! Ha!

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
She's got her lucky hat on and two new broadheads so she's ready for the rest of the hunt!

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I'm not sure what this is she's eating but I'm pretty sure I could roll it up into a waddle for my Jake decoy! Ha!

22-Apr-16
Great thread. Thanks for sharing.

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Pretty quiet now but we're still having fun!

22-Apr-16
Good luck . Hammer time ! Hunt

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Well we looked and grid searched for almost 2 hours and no bird. One very sad little girl! She's determined as ever though! We're headed to the shop to pick up some bullheads and get her dialed in with them for Sunday morning. That will most likely be her last chance of the season since old dad thinks he needs to go bear hunting!

22-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We've got to refuel before we get her brother from school! Yes, half pint played hookie today! She has straight A's and says school is for turkeys!

22-Apr-16
Good stuff... And IMO good choice on the bullheads. As long as her arrows long enough, heavy enough, and she's shooting enough poundage she should be good. The "aim for the head" is much easier for juniors to understand and do versus body shot placement , which on turkeys is difficult even for the most experienced. Numbers/stats don't lie as I've seen with Ryan.. Also from experience with Ryan limit her shots with bullheads to 8 yards or so... Be better around 6... . You need as much pop as possible.. hope to see that frustration turned into success.. She's earned it.... Good luck on the next hunt as I will be following and routing you on.

22-Apr-16
I think she's got plenty of zip to use the bullheads. My big concern now is that our woods are not that big and between her and her mother they have now shot at 6 toms. They're getting educated! Ha! Definitely becoming more of a challenge for me to outfox them and put them in the decoys. We'll find out Sunday morning how this year's story will end.

23-Apr-16
Go Team Brotsky Go!

Good luck Kia!!!

Keep us posted!

Mark

23-Apr-16
Good luck!

23-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Thanks guys! We couldn't find a single bullhead anywhere in town so we had to give the Muzzy MORE a try. A couple tweeks and she is dialed in out to 15 yards. Her pillow turkey stood no chance! Ha! We're ready for the am, hopefully one gives her a chance. She put three straight in 12 ring after I fixed a clearance issue on her first shot.

23-Apr-16
Best of luck in the morning.

24-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Well nothing right off the roost. Saw one tom but he was henned up and not interested. A few other gobbles around so we'll be patient! Hopefully half pint's snoring doesn't scare them off! Ha!

24-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Scott, I bet the story is playing out about like this in your blind too? Ha!

24-Apr-16
Good stuff guys! Good luck to the young bow hunters

24-Apr-16
The wind is starting to howl again of course and thunderstorms are forecast to be moving in soon. We've got about an hour left to hunt! No action since right at sum up.

24-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Well no turkeys this morning! We did have a wood chuck pay us a visit which resulted in the age old question of how much wood he could chuck! Too much wind and too much pressure on the birds. We'll give it a few weeks and head back out for one last try!

24-Apr-16
Great thread...Thanks for sharing

24-Apr-16
Good luck Kia!

25-Apr-16
Ryan, Kia says thanks for the encouragement and she has so much fun turkey hunting that she wishes she could go everyday instead of going to school! I bet you feel the same way! Ha!

25-Apr-16
Stay with the Turks Kia and it will happen before you know it....getting the first (turkey, deer or whatever animal it is you are hunting) is ALWAYS the hardest!

Your positive and enthusiastic attitude will lead you many great times in life!!!

Mark

25-Apr-16
Thanks for this great thread! Brings back lots of great memories with my daughter.

Don't get down, Kia. I've been there too, and I've been bowhunting over 50 years. Keep the faith!

26-Apr-16
Tell her to keep her head up! I will happen and when it does it will be that much more special!

26-Apr-16
Great thread and I am still pulling for half pint!

26-Apr-16

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Thanks for the kind words guys. I'd hate to be a turkey with half pint on my trail. When she gets determined that she's going to do something she sticks with it. It might not happen next hunt or not until next year but she's going to get her turkey and she has a way of getting things done eventually!

11-May-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
The season started out cold! Good thing we have a "turkey blanket"!!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The season started out cold! Good thing we have a "turkey blanket"!!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
If you guys remember Half Pint had given her bow away while in California! Well she had this sweet little rig waiting for her at home! Carbon Spyder FX, she worked her butt off earning this bow!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
If you guys remember Half Pint had given her bow away while in California! Well she had this sweet little rig waiting for her at home! Carbon Spyder FX, she worked her butt off earning this bow!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Half pint is growing up way too fast! More like a half quart now!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Half pint is growing up way too fast! More like a half quart now!
I thought I'd bump this back up to the top with some "half pint happenings" from this spring. Half pint is still chasing turkeys but she hasn't scored yet! Man have we had some tough hunts the past couple of weeks!

11-May-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
"Why don't you do your job DSD hen?"
Brotsky's embedded Photo
"Why don't you do your job DSD hen?"
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Load 'em up and keep on grinding!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Load 'em up and keep on grinding!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Sometimes it get's so frustrating you just want to crawl in a hole and hide!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Sometimes it get's so frustrating you just want to crawl in a hole and hide!
We've chased turkeys in the woods and in the fields! We haven't had much luck calling any in for her though. It has been crazy, if she stays home and I go alone or bring a buddy I'm covered in turkeys. We've pretty much filled all our tags except for when she has been out. The "Kia curse" is getting out of control!

11-May-17

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Getting pretty big but still not quite big enough to carry that blind!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Getting pretty big but still not quite big enough to carry that blind!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Someday it will be victory ice cream, but not this day!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Someday it will be victory ice cream, but not this day!
Well no matter what happens she still has a great time in the woods and in the fields chasing these things! We've got one final hunt planned for next weekend before the season goes out in SD! By all standards it's looking like a 3 year quest for a turkey is going to go into year 4!

11-May-17
Never say die!!! Good luck this weekend!

11-May-17
Awesome stuff Justin! Keep at em half pint!! When it happens it will be all the more sweet!

11-May-17
Great story, good luck young lady!!!

11-May-17
Haha don't worry Half-Pint, I've been chasing them for four years and just recently got a shot at one.. and missed. I know the feels. They're some dang elusive birds!

11-May-17
Kia,

Keep enjoying the time with your Dad in the great outdoors!

Good things happen to good people!!!

Mark

18-May-17
Thanks for all of that. I really enjoyed the read!!!!!!

18-May-17
Dangit..... saw this thread at the top and i almost dropped my phone tryin to open it expecting to see a half pint harvest.....

23-Apr-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Kia showing Anna the fine art of getting 3 DSD's into one bag! She's an old pro by now!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Kia showing Anna the fine art of getting 3 DSD's into one bag! She's an old pro by now!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We toughed it out for a couple hours and heard a couple gobbles and saw a couple hens but no longbeards. The girls were getting cold so we decided to call it a day and head home.
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We toughed it out for a couple hours and heard a couple gobbles and saw a couple hens but no longbeards. The girls were getting cold so we decided to call it a day and head home.
Year four of the epic odyssey of Half Pint's quest for her first turkey started on April 7th this year. It's been a winter wonderland here but it didn't stop Kia and her kindred turkey spirit friend Anna from wanting to go on opening day! I knew it would tough sledding but it was opening day and it was tradition so we bundled up and headed out into the 9 degree morning to chase her first turkey!

23-Apr-18
Well the next day we wanted to try it again but we got pounded with 8" of fresh snow so we were out of luck. The next weekend it was the same story. Except this time we received over 20" of fresh snow in two separate storms. The access to our favorite hunting spots were buried. We needed a miracle to happen in the coming week weather wise to be able to access our best hunting ground. Lucky for us the skies cleared and the April sun did it's job and we were able to get within a long hike of our best spot on Sunday morning. Ki and I argued a little about the walk in because it was going to be a bear, up and down and probably close to 1.5 miles with all of our gear. I reminded her of our elk hunt and how hard she worked and she realized this was nothing compared to elk hunting! So off we went into the predawn darkness loaded down with all of our turkey gear. I knew no one had hunted these turkeys yet this year and I knew there was a bunch of them. We just needed to get into position to make it happen!

23-Apr-18
The hike in took a little longer than I though it would so we couldn't get into the spot I wanted to hunt. It was getting light and birds were gobbling all around us. I knew we needed to get set-up quickly and quietly and I dared get no closer to any of the roosted birds. I made a calculated decision to set up in a spot we had killed birds before. Kia suggested we should set the blind facing the opposite way, I over ruled her and we set-up in time to call to a few birds on the roost to get their attention. They soon hit the ground and we had two longbeards coming in hot. Unfortunately they skirted our set-up and came in directly behind the blind. Of course right in the direction Kia said we should have set-up. They gobbled and gobbled and drummed and strutted behind the blind but I could not coax them into the decoys. Finally a couple real hens came by and drug them away. I felt like a little hen pecked jake in the blind as I received my tongue lashing for not trusting her on which way to set-up! I knew we needed to make a quick move to get into a better position now that the birds had started to scatter. We quickly packed up and moved to an open area about 100 yards away that I knew the birds liked to use.

23-Apr-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Brotsky's embedded Photo
We quickly and quietly reset our gear with the sun at our back and the DSD decoys 9 yards out in front of the blind. We settled in for what I knew would be an hour or two wait until the birds moved back into this area mid-morning as they tend to do. Kia found it to be a great opportunity to get in a turkey nap.

23-Apr-18
We had been sitting for around an hour, I called about every 10 minutes or so and passed the time while Kia took in some Zzz's. I was in the middle of a heated game of Candy Crush on my phone when I looked up and saw 2 jakes out of the corner of my eye making a bee line for the decoys. Kia is in the exact position above with the blanket over her head. She had leaned her bow against the front of the blind. Before I could do anything the jakes are in the decoys 8 yards in front of the blind. I slowly pulled the blanket off of Kia and woke her up. She was about to burst into teenage protest when her eyes got as big as saucers seeing two jakes in the decoys! She did everything right based upon her years of turkey experience at this point. She froze, didn't move a muscle. She knew as well as I did that her only chance to grab her bow was to wait for them to attack the DSD jake decoy distracting them from her movement. It didn't take long, they went into attack mode and Kia slowly and calmly grabbed her bow. She drew back on the closest Jake but her release was twisted! She had pull her sleeves over her hands to stay warm and in pulling her release back out it had twisted. She had to let down and retool. By now the jakes had throttled the decoy and with all of her movement they were starting to get a little edgy. One of them started walking away but his buddy had to get one more lick in on the interloping plastic jake. Kia came to full draw, everything squared away now, the remaining jake turned to walk away with his buddy. Kia knew what to do next, and she centered her pin in the middle of his back and sent her arrow on it's way!

23-Apr-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
Our first turkey hunt, and probably my favorite picture of us! Her excitement and enthusiasm for turkey hunting never waivered!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Our first turkey hunt, and probably my favorite picture of us! Her excitement and enthusiasm for turkey hunting never waivered!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The 15 times she's sent an arrow after a longbeard or jake in the past 4 years that have all ended in heartbreak.
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The 15 times she's sent an arrow after a longbeard or jake in the past 4 years that have all ended in heartbreak.
Brotsky's embedded Photo
From the plains of Dakota to learning from her turkey hunting hero's in California, all the knowledge and wisdom she had gained through the past 4 years.
Brotsky's embedded Photo
From the plains of Dakota to learning from her turkey hunting hero's in California, all the knowledge and wisdom she had gained through the past 4 years.
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I knew my little girl had finally done it! Four years of ups and downs and 4 am wake ups and all the laughs and smiles and tears and disappointments had finally ended for her! Success!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I knew my little girl had finally done it! Four years of ups and downs and 4 am wake ups and all the laughs and smiles and tears and disappointments had finally ended for her! Success!
As her arrow punched the jake right in the 12 ring at 10 yards I have to say a lot flashed through my mind in that split second knowing she had finally done it! Here's exactly some of those moments...

23-Apr-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
The conquering hero and her trophy! YESSSS!!!!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The conquering hero and her trophy! YESSSS!!!!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The jake saved the day for her by taking a beating giving her a chance to get situated for her shot!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The jake saved the day for her by taking a beating giving her a chance to get situated for her shot!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Time to tag him and bask in her glory!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Time to tag him and bask in her glory!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Showing off her new Hoyt! "I'm batting 1.000 with my Hoyt!" Yes, you are!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
Showing off her new Hoyt! "I'm batting 1.000 with my Hoyt!" Yes, you are!
He was just a little jake but he was the biggest longbeard in the woods as far as we were concerned! I don't think we have ever hugged and laughed as hard as we did when that jake toppled over dead, not even when she shot her elk. My words to her in that moment were simple..."You did it!" There were more turkeys around but we didn't care, it was picture time!

23-Apr-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
I gotta carry this thing how far?!?! Good thing I didn't get one of those big ones!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
I gotta carry this thing how far?!?! Good thing I didn't get one of those big ones!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
A four bearded jake isn't something you see everyday! I just realized now while proofreading this...4 beards for 4 years. Seems fitting somehow! God is good!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
A four bearded jake isn't something you see everyday! I just realized now while proofreading this...4 beards for 4 years. Seems fitting somehow! God is good!
We took a little while to hang out and try for another bird, as I have a tag and she also has another tag in her pocket. We looked back a little on all the stuff she had gone through trying to tag a turkey and all the effort she had put into it. We laughed when I said all the pressure is off us now, now it's time to start stacking them up! Ha! We had two more longbeards come in close to the decoys but they were again pulled away by real hens. We decided to pack it up and head back home to show him off to mom and her brother!

23-Apr-18
Way to go Kia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (And Papa ;-)

23-Apr-18

Brotsky's embedded Photo
The sweet taste of success, to the victor goes the spoils!
Brotsky's embedded Photo
The sweet taste of success, to the victor goes the spoils!
The sweet taste of success! Of course we had to celebrate with ice cream! We've got some plans for more turkey action this spring but this finally brings this 4 year old thread to an end. The half pint turkey hunt is over, the bird is in the freezer, and one little girl accomplished something 4 years in the making. Thanks for all of the support you guys have given her over that time. One of her first comments was "I can't wait to tell Bowsite!" God bless and good luck this spring!

23-Apr-18
Really awesome! Congrats, Kia! You're a good father, Justin, for going out of your way to let others have success. That's an honorable trait. Well done!

23-Apr-18
Way to stick with it!!! Congrats Kia... I heard some words of wisdom this last weekend with some humor that is pretty true regarding missed shots and letting it get to a person.. “in a hundred years the misses won’t matter to anyone” with some laughs but the good times and good shots will be remembered. Great job Justin on passing it on as well! I’m happy for you both!

23-Apr-18
This is awesome!! Way to go!!

23-Apr-18
Congrats!! Good job Dad.

23-Apr-18
Congratulations Kia!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!... and Dad.

23-Apr-18
Awesome. Congrats.

23-Apr-18
Million dollar smile says it all. Congrats Kia!

23-Apr-18
Get that thing mounted!

23-Apr-18
Way to go Kia congrats to you and your dad!

23-Apr-18
Nice Brotsky. Congrats Kia. Those are great memories in the making.

23-Apr-18
Thank you for taking us on the ride!! Hunt

23-Apr-18
Looking forward to the next chapter! ;-)

23-Apr-18
Congrats Kia!

23-Apr-18
This was one of my favorite reads on here in a long time. Congratulations young lady. Your smile is priceless. May you always have this joy in your heart. You make me smile every time I see your picture.

23-Apr-18
Awesome recap and great job Half-Pint and Dad! Wonderful memories for a lifetime!

23-Apr-18
Go Kia Go ! Awesome Bird ! Congratulations all !

23-Apr-18
Awesome! Big Monkey off your backs, now you can really stack them up! :)

23-Apr-18
Fantastic! Great job!

23-Apr-18

Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet! Sweet x10

24-Apr-18
Dang nice!

1/2 Pint sure is growing up fast.

Congrats Young lady & Dad!

#LovinLife

Robb

24-Apr-18
Fantastic! Thanks for sharing. Congrats to you both!

24-Apr-18
Heck, yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats Kia and dad!

24-Apr-18
good job you 2!

24-Apr-18
Congrats!!!!!!!!! Reminds me of the look my nephew had when he ended his 3 year quest and got his first bird. Way to go - keep up the great work!

24-Apr-18
Attagirl! Great work to father and daughter

• Sitka Gear