Shaft 26-May-15
turkulese 26-May-15
JEG 26-May-15
No Mercy 26-May-15
No Mercy 26-May-15
No Mercy 26-May-15
13-May-15
I would like to make my own bale blind.

Are there any 'How to' out there anywhere?

13-May-15
I think it would be simpler to dress like a scare crow. would love to see the deer's face when you move

13-May-15
I've never seen a tutorial....but i bet you could do it with a roll of 2x4 fence wire [6' width] and then stretch that straw erosion netting over it pretty cheap

13-May-15

Matte's embedded Photo
Matte's embedded Photo
We use conduit and bend it into to shape then cover it with Duck grass.

13-May-15
Go to Google, and type in, "make a hay bale blind on Youtube". A few examples there.

13-May-15
I have buddies who have done it by making a frame of wood, then bending a cattle panel in an inverted U shape. From another panel they cut the end pieces, including one with a door.

Plastic covers the frame after it's been coated with straw, with a fine mesh, like they put on the bales when they're baled.

13-May-15
Haven't made one yet but I'm going to use a couple of hog/cattle panels for the frame. Should make it pretty rigid, if not, the conduit may come into play.

13-May-15
WTNUT aka Chad Kouis via facebook posted photos of them making one.

It looked very good but then again he is a taxidermist so his attention to detail is high on the charts

13-May-15
Midwesthaybale blinds makes a wrap to go around and over a pop hub style blind. I bought one and that is the only way to go. It was under 100 bucks shipped and if time is money to you than this will save you a lot of time. Also buy the time you buy the materials alone to make one you will have 50 bucks or so into making one plus your time. Do a search. You will see how nice they are. I have had mine two years and expect to get at least 2 more years out of it. I put it out late in season so less chance of rain getting it soaked and snow i brush off before it melts. Shawn

13-May-15

No Mercy's embedded Photo

No Mercy's Link
Here's a link:

13-May-15

Here's the one a buddy built from this plan

13-May-15
I've got the livestock panels already. you can get the straw matting on amazon for about $40. I plan to make one in the next few months.

13-May-15
Nice

13-May-15
Check out Youtube. There are some there.

26-May-15
hey No Mercy, What did your buddy use for his outer layer? Is it the erosion blanket also? It looks different to me.

definitely a fun project to consider. I think that I would lighten the frame a little bit. It has some overkill in a few places. For example the 4x4's on the base. I would think you could use 2x2's around the outside instead of the 2x4's but then you would have to use some small angle attachments to secure the 2x2's a little better. Also 36 inch welded wire would probably be a little lighter to wrap around the outside. I think you could shave off 20 pounds if you wanted to. Any thoughts?

26-May-15
I like the erosion blankets... where are you guys getting those? The ones from Home Depot/Lowes don't seem thick enough to me. Although it looks like for $50, you'd get enough to wrap it at least 3 times.

Seems to be much more cost effective than ordering the wraps from Midwest Haybale Blinds. I've never gotten more than 2 years out of the bale wraps they sell.

26-May-15
I pretty much did what writer stated earlier but I welded a base frame for the cattle panels to fasten to pin of rebar. It is pretty sturdy. My first attempt I spread hay out over black plastic that was fastened to the cattle panels then fastened 2x4 wire over that. It lasted about a yr then started falling out. I need to recover it this summer and win try the erosion control stuff. Good luck they work great.

26-May-15

Yes-that's erosion blanket. I'll post a few more pics

26-May-15

Main frame

26-May-15

Here is where the erosion blanket came from