AndyJ 24-May-15
Forest bows 24-May-15
brunse 24-May-15
AndyJ 24-May-15
Carnivore 24-May-15
pop-r 24-May-15
Start My Hunt 25-May-15
15-May-15
So me and four buddies are planning a diy otc hunt in Colorado this fall and are still trying to decide on a unit. Now I dont expect yall to jus point me to your secret spots but all we need is an idea of where to start. None of us have ever hunted elk and are honestly quite clueless so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

15-May-15
What kind of hunt do you have pictured in your mind? Rolling draws with pines and aspens. More open drier sagebrush type landscapes, above timberline? That'll help us get you in the right direction. Your tag is good for 139 units in Colorado. There are 80 realistic units to get a tag ranging everywhere from 1% - 92% public lands, 89 - 1621 hunters, and success rates from 0% - 40%.

15-May-15
Pick up the book "public land elk hunting", it will help you with everything from picking a unit to the hunt itself. I think it's only avaliable on Amazon or you can message DirtyD (he wrote it). It's an easy read that's full of info.

15-May-15
(I honestly only mean this in a helpful way) it will also help you to post questions like that and get better more helpful answers then I expect you will get with a shot in the dark question like that. It's a mistake we have all made (I'm very guilty of it myself) Colorado is a big place but not many people will just give away info To every one asking where to hunt. There are better questions to ask to make these guys on here spill their guts :) good luck

15-May-15
Honestly we're not picky as long as there is an elk or two running around but if i had to pick, probably rolling draws with pines an aspens.

15-May-15
Yeah truckie I totaly get that. If thats how it is thats fine and like i said I dont expect anyone to point me to there spots. All i need is a general idea of where to start looking. Thanks to you guys that have helped already.

15-May-15
What kind of hunter are you?

Do you hike miles before light or park by your tree stand?

I'm not trying to be a wise guy but it's important.

Do you creep through the dark timber, bust through the oak brush or sit on a high vantage point?

If every hunter on this thread told you units they've found elk it would likely be every unit in the state.

Ken

15-May-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Logan, Here is the very best advise I can give you.

Go to the Colorado Parks and Wildlife website.

Click on THINGS TO DO

Click on Big Game

Under that subject is a lot of information including how to hunt elk, and a break down of elk herds and units to hunt.

You have plenty of time to do some research on your own and then come back to this site and ask some specific questions after you have narrowed down the units you might hunt in. 90% of the fun of elk hunting is the research and then getting your feet on the ground. 80% of the elk are in over the counter areas which means, just purchase a tag and go hunt. Bow hunter success in Colorado in 13-15% but can be as low as 3% in some units.

IN most of the National Forests west of I-25, there are elk herds. So start by finding where you might travel to, and then do some research on you own. There is tons of info out there about elk hunting in Colorado in books, magazine articles, and as I have stated, the CPW website.

My best, Paul

15-May-15

Start My Hunt's Link
May I offer an alternative?

15-May-15
Ok thanks for the advice. I defiantly plan on doing a whole hell of alot of research. My question as far as where to start has been answered. Basically what you guys have said is get your ass busy and do some research. So yeah I appreciate the honesty on here. This is great. And just to answer as to what kind of hunters we are, I'm 20 as are two of my buddies and the other two are 19 and 18. We all got a passion for the outdoors and have grown up shooting deer and turkeys with are bows. I guess the urge to head west n try something new got the best of us. Anyway thanks guys sincerely appreciate the help so far! Any other tips would be greatly appreciated!

15-May-15
Definitely get "Public Land Elk Hunting". Read that before you start any other research.

I've lived in CO my whole life and have bowhunted elk for 40 years. I still spend many hours poring over maps like StartMyHunt, DIY hunting maps, USFS maps, two different satellite programs, and the CPW interactive maps. The loft in my cabin is laid out as my map research area.

Start digging and come back with some specific questions and you'll get help. Get in the best shape you can.

15-May-15
chf- We have all been there. As far as specific units, I cannot help much. If I could, I still wouldn't list them! LOL!

I will likely repeat much of what has been said. CDOW website has a TON of info. Whether it be unit research, Elk University, etc. They also have a mapper.

2nd, I will recommend StartMyHunt products. There are so many OTC GMU's, you will need to separate the wheat from the chaff. You will look at stats, terrain, etc. Fid out a few units which peak your interest. Then drill down. Identify a unit and then do some cyber scouting on Google Earth. Find some country that peaks your interest and order up some maps.

Develop a plan a, plan b, plan c, plan d. Buy your tags, lace them up and start hunting.

Your biggest problem is elk hunting will ruin you for all other critters! (I know, I never thought I would be that guy but once you have some fun in elk country, everything else just takes up time in between elk seasons.)

15-May-15
35 42 444 41

17-May-15
GMU 14 or 16

17-May-15

Personally seen elk in every one of those units.

23-May-15
PM sent

23-May-15
"35 42 444 41"

"GMU 14 or 16"

Seriously!? WTF. There's a freakin' PM function for a reason.

23-May-15
U OK Andy?

24-May-15
5.3 miles up Forest Road 162 in unit 14 there's a great drainage with a couple killer wallows about 3/4 of a mile up the left fork. If you meet a guy named Brian up there, please don't tell him I gave up his spot. I showed it to him and he promised not to tell anyone, but then he took his work buddies there.

Ok, I made that specific FR up because I'm hoping Brian and his buddies move on someday so I can hunt there again.

But every OTC unit in CO has that same opportunity somewhere.

24-May-15
I wouldnt worry about it too much Andy. I have seen 5-7 trucks at the trailhead when I come out with my elk. Never or heard saw a soul while in the woods.

Sometimes when I do talk to someone at the trailhead, they havent seen an elk and I have blood on my hands.

24-May-15
54 isn't OTC for archery elk. Too late to get a tag this year for it but in the past they had leftovers until lasts years draw. It is a good unit to hunt though. Pretty steep unit as well.

24-May-15

Start My Hunt's Link
Lou and Brad,

I could not agree with you more. Based on my research, pretty much all the CO GMUs have something to offer. Someone calling one out really has no effect on the chance of success. If I said to hunt in a specific unit, you would still need years to figure out the patterns that the elk follow. It is not quite as simple as saying hunt in this unit at this spot at this time. Elk are fickle critters, and they can move like ghosts..

Mike

24-May-15
WYOMING

24-May-15
"But every OTC unit in CO has that same opportunity somewhere."

X1000- Just about every unit west of I-25 has elk. With the tools available today, finding a good spot has never been easier. Listing a spot online does nothing but create undue and often times undeserved hype.

"Someone calling one out really has no effect on the chance of success."

I kind of agree with this statement as well. But packing hunters into an area sure makes success a lot more difficult. Drawing attention to the unit tends to at least put the unit on a person's radar. If the unit looks even slightly more promising then the other prospects then it is likely to become the spot of choice. I think most guys on this website would be amazed how many trollers look at these posts. I would bet that for every posting member on this site there are 10 non-member trollers viewing it. If a group of guys is trying to pick a spot and one guy sees this post, "GMU 14 or 16" you can bet he will relay to his friends," I heard good things about unit 14 and 16".

All I'm saying is a lot of guys did the research to come up with their spot, please be mindful and respectful of that.

Finally WRT the OP- There really are a ton of options. Listen to Paul at the Fort and check out all the maps available out there. Be realistic as to the physical condition of the weakest link in the group and it is better to underestimate what you can handle. If you are worn out by day three, you won't get much out of the hunt. Be aware that lots of parts of CO have a lot of beetle kill which a lot of guys don't like to hunt. Endless acres of deadfall are very hard and physically demanding to hunt. My best piece of advice is: In CO athletes hunt and we have some very fit hunters. There seems to be an unofficial,How far back can you go, contest every year. If your strategy is to go way back to get away from the crowds, you may find that you will go way back and get into the crowds. Look for difficult to access spots and you will probably find elk. Also, thousands of elk hunters drive right past some great spots every year to get to the "good hunting".

24-May-15
Andy,

I have lived in Colorado for 40 years and been on this site for 10 or more...... Its ok man!

24-May-15

24-May-15
"Andy, I have lived in Colorado for 40 years and been on this site for 10 or more...... Its ok man!"

I know, I know...you're right. I'll get over it.

24-May-15
As said, every unit has elk. Every unit also has both fans and haters. One big reason is because the statewide success rate for OTC public land archery is probably around 4%. Many hunters get a "hot tip" on Unit X, go there, get skunked, and never go back because they think they got some bad advice.

So what I'm saying is every unit is both good and bad.

I recommend that you don't pick a unit because you heard "We were into elk every day". Here are what I think are more valid reasons:

-Access. Length of drive from home; roads and trails that suit your abilities.

-Terrrain and elevation. Some guys dream of an above-treeline hunt. Some like sagebrush, or pinyons, or ponderosas, or dark timber firs. Go where it floats your boat. But if several are equally acceptable, go to the area of lowest elevation. It's better to spend precious hunting days hunting hard rather than acclimating.

Good luck.

24-May-15
Andy I'm ALWAYS wore out by day 3!! If you aren't you're a bad dude!

25-May-15

Start My Hunt's Link
Andy, you happened to mention something about maps. That is my favorite subject.

• Sitka Gear