BIGHORN 26-May-15
IAHUNTER 27-May-15
Sandbrew 28-May-15
Retired-11-2000 28-May-15
Destroyer350 28-May-15
ToddT 28-May-15
txhunter58 28-May-15
21-May-15
The Colorado elk backdoor should be up on Friday 5/22/15 [hopefully] and I am interested in when and what codes everyone gets.

Is a 590 elk code a Resident code like deer?

Is a 591 code for Non-Res [like deer]?

Are the code updated throughout the day or is it a one shot update?

Post your results here - Thanks

Good luck to everyone!

21-May-15
Enough of this backdoor nonsense! I want results!

21-May-15
I believe that is how it is on the 500 codes. I know my nonresident elk and deer draws have always been 591.

This year I decided to go OTC instead of a 2nd choice chance. I elected for an OTC tag if not succeful in the draw. Will I still show a 500 code?

21-May-15
FullDraw

I think that OTC code is 064?

21-May-15
Idyllwild, I got your results right here, pal!

;-)

21-May-15
Are you referencing the back door?

21-May-15
Lou, what code is that ? :)

21-May-15
I got a 500 code for second choice deer. Gonna have to go back and see about that 064 code.

21-May-15
064 code is right. That is what I show as second choice OTC archery Pronghorn. I only applied 1st choice for a PP and second was what I mentioned. Now I gotta pay my trespass fee and I am on my way just miles from home. Wish I would have seen more than one 500 code. That was a second choice on deer. Is anyone seeing a code for elk? I tried to get a 3rd season rifle cow tag but maybe I didn't get it? Bob.

22-May-15
Lou yall need to take that BACK DOOR conversation to the PM room! This is a family show! Mike

22-May-15
I don't believe elk is out yet. At least I haven't heard of anyone having a 500 code for elk so far.

22-May-15
Nothing yet... We put in as a group, only for 1st Choice and a Refund option with 2/3 more points than the unit required last year.

Should likely have no issue drawing. Been hoping to hear or see some activity today, or my guess would be by Tuesday it should be updated.

22-May-15
Some years the elk drawing backdoor has been made available late Friday evening

22-May-15
Last year the elk backdoor opened on 5/21

22-May-15
Nope. Still no 500 code for me.... not that I've been checking every hour or so.

22-May-15
I think I'm wearing out the server checking so much, just got a nice distraction though, my taxidermist just sent me a pic of my caribou making sure he has the correct cape to my horns as he is mounting today- should be able to pick it up next week...

22-May-15
What's the problem? State of Colorado having fun with us.

22-May-15
I blame the results not being posted yet on Scott. They know he's anxiously awaiting the results on his oil tag. ;) Or the 2015 CO elk hunt has been cancelled all together.

23-May-15
581 here. 4 am CST. Wooooohoooooo!

23-May-15
I slept in, but mine says 581 also. WoooooHoooooo is right!

23-May-15
One one of our applications, a friend applied for a bull tag as a first choice and a cow tag as a second choice. He has a 581 code. If I remember correctly, that should be a bull tag? Seems like an antlerless tag is a 588 code?

23-May-15
Looks like I'm OTC this year. First year I haven't drawn my "easy to draw" unit. Now the question, do I keep stacking up points or draw that unit next year? Seems like I'll never catch up in the points game... I'm assuming 054 is otc tag on file??

23-May-15
MathewsMan- where are you brother? Figured you'd be the first one posting results. Wishing you good luck.

23-May-15
I have nothing yet...does that mean I'm up $#!^ creek?

23-May-15
Elk results are up via back door.

23-May-15
I have a 580 code, is that second choice?

23-May-15
#1Bear- most likely yes. Unless they have more updates to do but I doubt it.

FireWillie77- all that means is that you drew a LE Elk tag. You wont know which choice until official results are posted.

23-May-15
if it's done I missed my 2nd-4th choices which were all decent odds cow tags. SOB! Guess I'll take out my frustration on some otc elk

23-May-15

MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo
MathewsMan's MOBILE embedded Photo

Oh, yes Sorry- Dad and I both have unit 2 Archery Bull tags. I drew everything I put in for except Desert Sheep ;(

23-May-15
Told ya all it was gonna be sometime on Friday :)

23-May-15
Congrats Scott.

23-May-15
My son has a 594 RES YOUTH ELK code! Time to start hunt planning!

23-May-15
So if I've still got a 400 code, I'm screwed?

23-May-15
Be sure to review ALL codes what you have on file. See above for MM image. A 400 APP code will be on one side and either a 400 or 500 draw code on the other

23-May-15
I'm new here. I just checked and only see my Non-Resident Elk App and Habitat listed. That means I didn't draw...correct?

23-May-15

cnelk's embedded Photo
cnelk's embedded Photo
This what mine looks like - I just applied for all PPs this year

23-May-15

Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Fulldraw1972's embedded Photo
Here is what mine looks like. I put in for OTC if not successful in the draw. I have an 055 code for OTC.

23-May-15
Thanks guys. It looks like I didn't draw this year. I'll have to give my outfitter a call to see what plan 'B' is.

23-May-15
I officially have No Preference points for every species in Colorado.

23-May-15
Thanks guys. It looks like I didn't draw this year. I'll have to give my outfitter a call to see what plan 'B' is.

23-May-15
Cool, Scott! You'll have a great time over there!

23-May-15
For you guys who didn't draw where you should have based on past PP odds, please start a thread once the draw stats are posted. It will be very interesting to see if the new license set-asides from the general pool this year affected point creep.

23-May-15
Scott,

Will you need help tying a bull up for me in unit 2? It will be fun having another hunt together.

23-May-15
"It will be very interesting to see if the new license set-asides from the general pool this year affected point creep."

Lou-I'm sure it did. Some units more so than others. May take a couple years to notice on certain units but I think your spot on. This is the first time in 3 years I haven't drawn my 0 point unit. I know about 30% usually goes to folks with with 1 point or more so it's hard to say.

23-May-15

cnelk's Link
You can also check the 2015 tag allocations compared to last year - see link

23-May-15
In my plains deer unit I believe regular residents are now eligible for only 40% of the tags, if I did the math right. Youths get 15% (great, if they can afford the outfitter fees for access since its all private) NRs get 20%, and outfitters (NRs) get another 25%

23-May-15
Okay I got a 500 elk code....yippy... not sure if I got my first choice or second choice...when we gonna know that???

23-May-15
Im in.

23-May-15
201 bull here I come..........

...or it's a 2nd season rifle cow tag.

23-May-15
Congrats Scott, and hopefully sandbrew too. You guys will have a great time.

23-May-15
Man tough year... No moose, No Sheep, No goat, no pronghorn, no deer for either of us. My brother and I pulled 2 bear tags and 2 elk tags. Left overs here we come.

23-May-15
581 here. Hopefully 1st choice.

Either way time to get in shape. 2nd choice is just the other side of the mountain

23-May-15
Still 481 code. No elk points showing

????

23-May-15
Got my tag 581 code... Thanks for posting the back door method I would have a hard time waiting until the 29th. Unit 40 with 8 points.

:^)

23-May-15
Well, 581 for NR ELK. First choice because it was my only choice. Will be my maiden voyage in Colorado! Congrats to everyone who drew!

Looking forward to a high country hunt. I have already been scheming to fly down for a scouting trip.

23-May-15
Well my season is planned eaither sex muzzleloader elk rifle doe pronghorn then cow first rifle. Then a whole bunch of rabbits with the recurve, and ducks and geese to fill out the freezer

23-May-15
Jaquomo....I'm sure the set asides affected point creep. I should have drawn both deer and elk based on the guaranteed numbers the state put out. I was one above on each and drew neither.

Guess we will head to OTC and scout some new units. I hope the state knows what they are doing and the set asides are benefitting someone (other than outfitters).

23-May-15
#1Bear

Did you apply as a group or individually?

Did you apply online or mail?

23-May-15
Guess I didnt draw!! OTC tag again

23-May-15
Still nothing at 6 CST. Maybe after 23 years of applying there going to hand deliver the tag!

23-May-15
Did anyone draw bull tags or did they just do cow tags so far?

23-May-15
double post

25-May-15
Huntcell, I believe they r using drones this year!!

Z, welcome to Colorado.

25-May-15
Rob...My group of three (NR) have bull tags. I don't think they can do a cow then bull draw because so many people put bull first come second. Have to determine if they have a bull tag before they can move onto the second choice.

25-May-15
Drones I thought that was neighbor kid harassing me Shot it down went Into a deep brush ravine. now I got go see if he has my tag,

25-May-15
#1Bear, considering that the CPW Commission is now skewed toward ranchers/outfitters/agriculture, with a vociferous and forceful coalition of the same Commissioners pushing their agenda, the regular guys are getting screwed in the end.

When I wrote an email to the state senator who sponsored the bill supporting the additional tag set-asides, she told me there's ABSOLUTELY no evidence of landowner/outfitter vouchers being brokered on the open market. I sent her a dozen links to brokers advertising CO "landowner" tags for sale, and she never replied back.

My local state representative told me he didn't understand the whole process because he's not a hunter, but that he knew it was a done-deal even before the official vote took place.

25-May-15
I would not recommend ANYONE at ANYTIME to apply as a group.

25-May-15
There is a group of us from Ark and Mo. that hunt together and always put in the draw as a group, and so far have drawn every year that we've put in.

25-May-15
Depends on the number tags for the unit/species. If everybody has the same points, ok. In CO, if one guy has one less point, you all have one less. The group only has one application in the pool, at whatever the lowest point-holder has for PPs.

If four apply together in a highly limited unit like 61 or 76 and you get drawn when there are only three tags left in the pool, you're all out.

Some people think applying as a group increases the odds of being drawn. It can actually have the opposite effect, depending on the unit and species.

25-May-15
Dad and I have almost always applied together for tags.

Applying on sheep, I have drawn 3 ram tags applying with him. He also drew a Ram tag while I was out for the 5 year wait. Makes me think he must be the lucky one!

25-May-15
The CPW does not care if you make a mistake on your application anymore. They do not care if your 'buddy/dad/brother/cousin/etc' isnt eligible, inverts a number, omits a line, use red ink, or whatever. They used to contact you if something wasn't right. No more of that.

If you apply as a group, you better be damn sure everyone is on the up & up, and the group leader gets everything correct as the risk of making a mistake is greater with each applicant. Especially if you mail in your stuff.

All I know is I won't ever apply as a group again

Just my .02

Good luck

25-May-15
Hmmm, wonder if Merle might want to apply with me??!!

:-)

25-May-15
I put in for desert sheep a couple of years but decided that I really wanted to arrow a bighorn. I have two points after this draw so maybe in the next year or two I will get my 5th ram tag. I'm feeling MUCH better after this last fusion operation. Of course, being 70 doesn't help the situation. I have been working out more this summer than I ever have at any time in the past. I DO want to continue hunting!

26-May-15
Hackbow, PM sent..

The only thing that makes sense is that a lot of NRs looked at the terribly wrong supposed "success ratio" posted by the CPW and thought it was a great unit. The annual success for bowhunters is always around 7-8%. But that one year the CPW showed a 24% success rate, which was totally bogus.

Even my friend the WCO for that unit doesn't understand how they came up with that data. 24% in a unit with very low elk density, not one single cow taken, all bulls? Except I know of cows taken and a whole lot of hunters who struck out.

26-May-15
"she told me there's ABSOLUTELY no evidence of landowner/outfitter vouchers being brokered on the open market."

Remember Lou... there are no wolves in Colorado.

26-May-15

26-May-15

tobinsghost's embedded Photo
tobinsghost's embedded Photo
Lou you know they used liberal math!!

26-May-15
Cnelk, we applied as a group with all the same PPs.

It's terribly disappointing. I'm guessing the politicians and heads of DOW are the same as our MN DNR. The MN DNR can't manage anything....our deer population is the lowest it's ever been, the wolf population is twice the objective and growing, the moose are disappearing (wolves) and they have published reports saying it's global warming, they have destroyed some of the fisheries on the major lakes in the state (with the help of the Indians).....and we trust them to manage our wildlife resources.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!

26-May-15
When is the draw going be done still shows app on file

26-May-15
Draw has been done. If you do not have a 500 Code in your display you were not fortunate to draw with your choices.

26-May-15
A good day to be a points collector

26-May-15
Anyone that applies as a'Group', what is your reasoning for doing so?

26-May-15
I applied in a group last year. Our reasoning was either we drew tags or non of us would. We were going after a second choice tag. We drew it. However I will be going solo on all my future Co apps from here on out. The guys I had been hunting with are 2 points behind me.

26-May-15
Any idea when they will update points?

26-May-15
cnelk- My dad and I always apply as a group. He wants to hunt "with" me. I'd think it would be easier to have him hunt a year, help him, and then the next year I hunt and he help me...

We put in for Elk Unit 2 this year as a group, which goes off of me with fewer points than he had (with 19 and 20 Points) and are fortunate to have drawn together. I feel we got a little lucky that some of those unit 201 guys did not change units because we would NOT have drawn if they had.

Units 2 and 201 are jumping up fast again- there were 19 guys last year in the 19 point pool for 201 which this year means all of those moved to 20 for this years draw, I suspect in another year the Minimum will be 21 for Residents in 201.

There are also a lot of guys out there like we were that always just applied for a PP only and they don't show in these numbers.

I'm excited, this is the first Limited Elk tag I've ever had and I'm a Colorado Native. Hoping that it will be my first Bull Elk as well with a bow.

26-May-15
Scott, you'll have a great time. You'll kill one or two big bulls if you sit "that" waterhole early, before the rut kicks-off.

Good luck!!!

26-May-15
Ok I get it that some want to hunt together, is that the only reason there is a Group option?

Cant a group just apply separately? I think the risk of not getting tags outweighs the reward

26-May-15
Ok, say your hunt by yourself and arrow your biggest bull ever. Who is there to witness it and share your excitement? I have killed elk and deer while hunting by myself and I just don't get excited about it.

It's different when I am with my son. We can take the pictures, watch the excitement in each other and enjoy the moment together. THAT is why I like to hunt with him. He knows what I am talking about because he went through this himself and knows how anti climatic it is when no one is there to share it with you.

27-May-15
It looks like I drew an elk tag, just not sure which one. Hopefully it's the one I am thinking of, because that will give me even more motivation to get into better shape!!

28-May-15
Must be getting close now as of 3:10 PM MST the page is loading really slowly. They must be updating the system.

Good Luck!

Sandbrew

28-May-15
2 hours ago checked and still had points. Now says page not available.

28-May-15
I got the same error - "The service is unavailable". 3:56 PM MST

28-May-15
Addressing the question of group hunting, or rather group applications. Personally, I like group applications for deer, or a few other animals. It helps cover ground and creates a different atmosphere. BUT, for elk on physically tough hunts with five days or less on hunts that are diy totally, I do not apply for group hunts. The reason being, these type hunts take too much time and energy to deal with, such as butchering and packing out, much less finding more than one quality animal.

But to each their own. And actually for myself, most of the time I apply as a group, it is with my wife, and she isn't competent to hunt 100 percent on her own. When I have applied with my dad, this is a different scenario. That is just my preference. For me, if I draw, I most likely will be hunting totally alone, but if my wife draws, I will have to be with her anyway just without a tag, almost like two hunts. Versus, if we apply together, it ends up being only one hunt that is more hectic and mentally straining.

28-May-15
Now it just says, "This service is not available"

• Sitka Gear