Hunting5555 27-May-15
wildwilderness 27-May-15
TD 27-May-15
Mad_Angler 28-May-15
Mad_Angler 28-May-15
Fulldraw1972 28-May-15
Mad_Angler 28-May-15
23-May-15
I can't decide. I currently have Easton axis 400s with 100 grain heads.

I have Rage heads. For deer, i think these are good heads.

I'm also going to shoot a broadhead league this summer. I need fixed blade hears for that.

I'm debating between Muzzy mx100s,or VPA heads. With the VPAs, i was thinking of the 125s to increase my FOC. But then, i can't switch back and forth to the other heads.

So how important is FOC?

23-May-15
FOC is important for hunting. How important the relative ratio is has been debated ad nauseam. Nobody knows for sure, but many think they do.

For a broadhead league you want the flattest-shooting package possible. FOC doesn't matter. The Muzzy 100 and VPA 125 are both great heads. Both will kill any animal in North America. Pick one, tune your setup, and don't over-think it.

24-May-15
screw on 100 grain heads and shoot a long range group. Then do the same with the 125s. Out of my bow, the 125s grouped far better. So I made the switch. May be completely different for you.

24-May-15
VPA's and 125 at least. I shoot .400 spine and draw 27.5"s and 66#s. I shoot the 175 grain VPA's for perfect flight. I shoot out to 90 yards in the back yard and they fly very true. Shawn

27-May-15
I have always like a 125 grain head, with my compound, just seemed to balance out the best, and give better flight and penetration at distance,,,,,

I have shot animals with the 100 grain to 145 grain, and since I may shoot beyond 30 yards, settled on 125.....

lots of good heads, find one that works, and is razor sharp.......

I have had the best results with the Razor Caps for fixed heads, but now shooting 125 Ram Cats, because of dead on accuracy.....

I have my own bh target at home, and I have settled on my choice of head, after shooting in high winds, rain, snow, cold conditions, heat etc, beyond 30 yards....

when I found the most consistent head, I picked it,,,,,

27-May-15
This is a no brainer! VPA 125's.

You are going to be shooting them in a broadhead league, so I assume your bow will be tuned to them.

Come hunting season, why switch???? Hit them on the stones and you're good to go. Those VPA's are almost 100% reliable, why switch from something that reliable, that you've been shooting all Summer, to something that is no where close to that reliable that you just screwed on for hunting????? Why would you do that? Just cause some celeb is paid to say something is awesome doesn't make it so!

Seriously, not bashing the other heads, just screw on the VPA 125's and forget about it (except for sharpening).

Also, the VPA's work target after target for the league...... They work the same way with animals! Shoot one, sharpen, shoot another, repeat.....

Save yourself time and headaches!

27-May-15

wildwilderness's embedded Photo
wildwilderness's embedded Photo
You absolutely need to try a Wac'em 100 gr triton with your setup (not the XL version).

It is the most forgiving fixed head I have tried. And yes, I have shot all the VPA models 100 and 125 (which are a strong quality head for sure). the Wac'em flies better than all the mechs I have tried as well (out to 70yds)

The only complaints some have is the small cutting diameter, which actually helps the accuracy, and the replaceable blades bending on bone. None of which will affect your BH league. (I shoot an Axis 300 with 125gr wac'em from my compound and VPA on my recurve.)

27-May-15
Don't know your draw weight or arrow length, but IMO shooting 125s with 400 shafts could be marginal spine wise. I like 300 shafts with 125 heads, 28-29" shafts out of a 70lb bow. I know folks that get by with 340 spine and shoot well. But 400 is pushing it IMO.

I'm a fan of 125 heads but just remember the heavier the head the stiffer the spine needed. Draw weight, shaft length, cam design... all play a factor in spine as well.

28-May-15
Okay. I made the switch yesterday. I bought 125 grain field tips and resighted my bow. That went fairly quickly.

Then, I dug out old Muzzy 4 blade, 125 grain broadheads. These heads are the same heads that I used for the same broadhead league 25 years ago.

For the broadheads, I had about 8 bases, 8 tips, and 5 sets of blades. I have small digital scale at work. It took some switching to get three heads to have the same weight. But eventually, I assembled three heads that weighed about the same.

I went to the club's sand piles to check the flight of the broadheads. They hit where I aimed based on the field tip pins.

So, I think I am all set.

TD, you mentioned spine. I am right at the transition between 400s and 340s. If I am underspined, what symptoms would I see?

28-May-15
I also ordered 125 grain VPAs. I'll probably switch to those closer to deer season.

28-May-15
If your right on the edge of 400 and 340 and adding 25 grains up front it could push you over the edge and into the 340 category. Shoot a broad head and then shoot a field tip. They should group together.

28-May-15
Fulldraw,

I should have been more clear. After switching to 125 grain heads, I am on the edge.

If my BH and FT group together, does that mean my spine is okay?

• Sitka Gear