TD 27-May-15
DoubleGunDennis 27-May-15
NJbowhunter 27-May-15
Yellowjacket 27-May-15
deerman406 27-May-15
WapitiBob 27-May-15
txhunter58 27-May-15
25-May-15
as I get older I'm having trouble focusing on the target and my pins past 30 yards. I currently use sights with 5 - .19 pins any suggestions (all green helped a little) ?

25-May-15
You can't focus on two things regardless of age. Focus on the target pin can be blurry nonissue

25-May-15
Sorry I don't understand what this means "Focus on the target pin can be blurry nonissue " please explain, thanks

25-May-15
Verifier in peep sight and all green pins helped me a lot .

25-May-15
Get rid of your sight and shoot bare bow, it's not as hard as you might think!

25-May-15
Venison did you ever have a problem with moisture in the verifier ? I'm going to be in BC for goats in Sept. I got good weather this past Sept just no goats or anything else for that matter.

25-May-15
You can't focus on 2 things at once. Stay focused on the target and ignore the pin...

25-May-15
Verifier peep did wonders for me. Like having cheaters on.

25-May-15
Verifier peep worked for me also, I carry a Q tip to take of the moisture issue.

25-May-15
Loved my Verifiers. Hint...I lost one once..must have shot it right off...must have vibrated loose..so DO THIS--- recheck the tightness or use some bow string wax on the threads.

25-May-15
Nj. What I mean is it is physiologically impossible for the human to focus on two things at different distances simultaneously and certainly you can't focus on something 30 inches Away and 30 yards away it's just not optically possible age has nothing to do with a focus on the target

25-May-15
grant u make things so complicated !! NJ get a verifiers peep with the lowest power to start . I have one in for years , hunted in all climates never a issue .

25-May-15
It's advice often given by those who have better vision, in the spirit of being helpful.

It can be helpful to those who are just dealing with very mild cases of this normal condition of aging eyes, which is called presbyopia.

The slight fuzziness of the pin can be ignored and the focus concentrated on the spot on the animal that you wish to hit,.... for a while.

For most of us, the condition slowly becomes more pronounced with advancing years until that advice is no longer applicable, because the "slightly fuzzy" pin has become a faint and colorful cloud that blends with the other colorful clouds close to it and is totally worthless in determining where you are aiming. And all the colorful clouds that used to be sight pins disappear while there is still plenty of legal shooting light in the evenings and don't come back until nearly sunup in the morning.

The better solution is to admit to the condition and seek help in correcting the condition.

If you do that, you will usually find that it's better to correct your vision to a degree where your aiming eye can still quickly and easily bring the pin into sharp focus.

There a number of ways to do that, including a "verifier" lens in a peep sight that acts as a "reading glass" for your aiming eye. They do work, and are available in various strengths to fit your needs. Some find that to be a perfectly satisfactory solution and others don't.

Many find "monovision" to be a better answer. That is visual correction by whatever means (contact lens, eyeglasses, etc.,) that correct the aiming eye to different focal length than the other eye, allowing the user's brain to select the image most helpful as it does naturally when we are younger.

Most solutions involve closing the non-aiming eye at final aim to avoid occasionally shooting using a vision of a pin that our aiming eye sees sharply onto the view of the target or animal that our open non-aiming eye sees more sharply. That's a fairly rare event that can result in a well-aimed arrow hitting a foot or so to one side of where we thought we were aiming it if we try o keep both eyes open and simply concentrate more on the vision of the aiming eye.

The best solution will vary from individual to individual depending on many factors.

I have worn glasses since I was eight years old and found the best solution for me was daily wear contacts that were under-corrected for distance vision in my eye by about 1.5 diopters, which gives me sharp correction at about thirty inches. The pin is sharp, and more importantly for hunting, is still clearly visible in the reduced light when hunting is best, and the animal is still very visible and easily seen even with my fully corrected non-aiming eye shut. The non-aiming eye's full sharpness is thee immediately available by simply opening that eye while finding the target or the animal, and is only gone when settling in on final aim right before release.

You might find it helpful to get a better feel of the difference in distance vision when the aiming eye is corrected for sharp vision at thirty inches by visiting the nearest display of reading glasses at a drugstore or supermarket and trying on a few. Take along something with fine print on it, like a pill bottle. The readers there will be marked with their correction levels and you can find the one that best sharpens you vision at arm's length, then see how much difference it makes in your vision when you try to read a sign at the other end of the aisle. You will see that while there is some loss of sharpness at distance through that lens, it is slight by the comparison to the loss of sharp focus at close range without it.

That is pretty much the trade-off you will be making by correcting your aiming eye fully for sharp vision at thirty inches. It's not a one-for-one trade-off of making the distant target an indistinguishable cloud of color like your sight pin has become in order to regain the sharpness of the pin. It's more a matter of accepting a slight fuzziness in the target downrange in order to regain the full usefulness of the sight pins at arm's length.

Good luck and welcome to your golden years 8^)

25-May-15
NJbowhunter, as Bou points out, it's impossible for the pin and the target to be in focus at the same time. Most people focus on the target and are just aware of the pin. As pointed out, as we age, green is a MUCH better option for pin color. Red is probably worst. That said , there's a big difference between the pin being a little fuzzy, or seeing basically 3 blurry spots 1/4" wide, like I do if I shoot without either glasses or a verifier.

Verifiers can work wonders once you find which one works best for you. Best I can remember, they come in 5 different strengths.

One potential problem verifiers can have is sun glare. If you're shooting in the direction of the sun, in certain instances, it can be like putting a million candle-power spotlight up to your eye. Needless to say, taking a shot isn't possible. Verifiers can be a Godsend, but something you need to be aware of.

25-May-15
I don't have this problem yet, but I can see it coming. Have any of you tried mounting your pins on your bow so they are further from your eyes?

25-May-15
Just like shooting open sight rifles...you're supposed to focus on the sight and let the target be out of focus...not the other way around.

25-May-15
u guys need to watch them flying out its all fun and games till u loose a eye !

25-May-15
I am unsure what your problem is. Are the pins blurry, or is the target blurry past 30 yards?

If it is the target that is blurry, then glasses would probably be the cure.

If it is the pins that are blurry, glasses may still be the solution. I had to start using very weak reading glasses. 0.25 power in fact. I had to special order them. I suspect that is exactly what the verifier does. Made the pins/front sight clear even though the target is still slightly blurry, but it works for me.

25-May-15
txhunter can u post a pic of your glasses

25-May-15
Cornpone, with all due respect, the best target shooters do just the opposite. They focus on the spot and the blurry pin floats around the spot.

25-May-15
Another verifier user. You should clean the lense before you head out for the day. And as was mentioned if you are going to have a shot directly into a low sun it could be tough. I always carry the little wrench to remove/install the peep.

I use a 1.5+ reading glass and the number 5 verifier. That's the second from the bottom. Sure helped with seeing the pins and vertical wire on my Spot Hogg and really didn't seem to blur the target either.

And if you remove the verifier, you end up with a 1/4" peep.

I just wish that they would make an actual 1/4" verifier.

25-May-15
I always carry q-tips and my wrench to snug up verifier because it has loosened and needs to be checked . Never had big problem with moisture but it can happen but I have had more problems with certain sun light but still positives are way more than negatives .

25-May-15
Not sure how that video or leader got attached to my post or where it even came from??? But it has nothing to do with verifiers.

25-May-15

Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Paul@thefort's embedded Photo
Hey City, Like txhunter, these are the .50 power reading glasses I sometimes use to help make the pins clear. Especially helpful when in the tent blind with low natural light and when shooting indoors. The target is only slightly blurred. Also had to special order them but for only $21.00.

I have used them when hunting from a tree stand or in ambush for elk and pronghorn.

The same idea as a verifer but I still have a 1/4 inch peep and using them is an option.

I had a thread on their use last year and some of the bowsiters ordered them.

My best, Paul

26-May-15
Great idea Paul. That is a great option.

For me....I don't worry about my pin being blurry I just focus on the target. If you can do this you might find that the less you see or notice your pin the better you shoot. This is definitely the case for me.

26-May-15
Stop trying to shoot past 30 yards

27-May-15
I was Ok with one blurry pin.... I shoot a single pin.

Serviceable when it got to seeing two blurry pins... just used the lower right hand pin and ignored the other.... killed plenty of stuff at what some consider fairly long shots. Just had to wait till the planets aligned....

No fun at all when it got to 3 blurry pins.

Eyes checked out.... new glasses. One fairly clear pin.... as a good friend once told me.... archery is fun again.

27-May-15
I had this same issue as NJbowhunter. What i did is instead of have 20, 30, 40, 50 yd pins, in had change my pins to be 20, 40, 60, 80 yds. It provides more spacing between the pins and much easier to concentrate on the target and pins.

Good Luck!

27-May-15
thanks for all the well thought out suggestions. I went to my eye doctor and he changed my prescription because he felt I was over corrected . I hope that helps . just for the record my pins are barely visible past 40 yards and anyone who has been on a spot stalk hunt knows 40 to 50 yard shots are common so that presents a problem. thanks again

27-May-15
"For most of us, the condition slowly becomes more pronounced with advancing years until that advice is no longer applicable, because the "slightly fuzzy" pin has become a faint and colorful cloud that blends with the other colorful clouds close to it and is totally worthless in determining where you are aiming."

This is the best description of the problem I've seen. Those that haven't been there don't understand.

Verifier has worked for me also.

27-May-15
Yup, have to disagree with cornpone. I shoot quite a bit of open sight rifle out to 600 yards and I really want the target to be as clear as can be and if the sight is a bit "fuzzy" that is okay. I do not have that problem yet but at 50 my eyes are not what they once were. I still have 20/20 in my left eye and 20/20 in my right and no near or farsightedness but believe it or not my eyes were much better 10 years ago. I would listen too Russ as he seems to know what he speaks. Shawn

27-May-15
I use a single pin and have 3 green dots. I know to use the top one but In reality it doesn't matter, the elk have been close enough that all 3 are good.

27-May-15
City, they look pretty much like Paul's or like these: http://eyeneeds1.com/spxlg5751.html

Expensive, but you can't just find very low power ones in stores

• Sitka Gear