Ziek 26-May-15
Jaquomo 26-May-15
TD 27-May-15
jims 27-May-15
IdyllwildArcher 27-May-15
Fulldraw1972 27-May-15
dgb 27-May-15
26-May-15
Many years ago I got an external frame pack. Now that my back isn't so young, I'm thinking about an upgrade: Internal or external frame? Your experience and wisdom are appreciated!

26-May-15
I did a lot of packing with an old Kelty external pack. It was great. Finally wore out from packing heavy loads. Frame broke is several places. This is after only 30 years of seasonal hard use and some off season training use.

I purchased another as well as some internal frame packs. Have not used the internals much. No matter the price, internals seem to be sacks with shoulder straps. I prefer the load off my back and the air to circulate and cool. I am old fashioned I guess.

26-May-15
I imagine it is mostly preference, but I prefer an internal. If you get a pack with a good suspension it will transfer weight to your hips.

Take a look at some of the higher end packs. If you can, try them with some weight after fitting them and you will be impressed regardless of which style you choose.

26-May-15
Check out bullpacs. External that will carry anything

26-May-15
I like internal packs.

26-May-15
It depends. For hauling meat, I prefer an external frame. For backpacking gear, either is comfortable. But if you use external, you then have to have pack in a hunting pack. Most of the time, I now use a convertible pack. An internal frame that can be used as a hunting pack, and converts to a larger hauling pack. I've been using an Eberlestock Blue Widow most of the time, unless I'm going back in for just meat.

26-May-15
I'm with Ziek. I prefer a Kelty Cache Hauler frame for packing meat and antlers. I also use it for hauling a treestand and gear into a spot that's a ways from a road.

For everything else I use internal frame packs.

27-May-15
For pure packing heavy loads, especially awkward loads like meat etc. external frames are hard to beat.

For hunting in they suck.

Are you looking for a specific pack for a specific use? What is your hunting style? Road camp? Spike in? Bivy?

If you want one to do all look at some of the "hybrid" packs and frames. They can behave like an internal frame but you can use several different bags that attach to the frame. Lots of good ones out there, just check some of the pack threads on the elk forum.

But the good ones that do this the best are pretty big money. Even the ones that do it OK are some coin.

27-May-15
Any type of frame pack that the frame is fairly far from your back can be somewhat dangerous on steep slopes! I used an old Cabelas framed pack for years until I ended up up-side-down like a turtle a couple times! I found out that heavy loads tend to shift and torque my back on steep hillsides using a frame and load that isn't held close to my body.

My last internal frame pack for hauling heavy loads was an old Arcteryx Bora 95. I've lost count of how many elk, moose, sheep, goats, deer etc I've packed with it over the years. It held up super nice.

I recently switched to a Kifaru duplex frame with a couple different bags and am happy so far. There are a lot of Kifaru fans out there that swear by them. I've also heard Stone Glacier can haul hefty loads. Both the Kifaru and Stone Glacier weights are pretty reasonable for being able to hauling 100+ lb loads.

Load lifters and a secure comfortable belt and shoulder straps make or break a hauling pack!

27-May-15
Go to REI with 3 hours to spare and try on 30 different packs and you'll know what you want.

27-May-15
In today's age and wanting the best of both worlds I would go with the Kifaru Duplex. For day hunts a mountain rambler bag and for 5 + days a bag like the DT1.

27-May-15
Thanks guys - lots of good suggestions!

• Sitka Gear