Genesis 27-May-15
MDcrazyman 27-May-15
Brian Spitzig 28-May-15
live2hunt88 28-May-15
live2hunt88 28-May-15
live2hunt88 28-May-15
live2hunt88 28-May-15
26-May-15
Some questions. Does anyone have luck with making mock scrapes/licking branches? Do you find them used mostly at night? When do you start them? What product do you find most effective?

26-May-15
From what I have read they work. I have never considered using one due to having the real thing available.

Defies logic to me.

26-May-15
Sir: Love your handle! Reminds me of me:)

Can't recall killing a big buck on a scrape! Rubs yes!!

26-May-15
+1 for Charlie. Never killed a good one over a scrape, you see plenty of 1.5-3.5 year olds though. My best have come on the edges of bedding cover and travel routes during the rut.

26-May-15
From what I see and hear, most bow hunters are quite satisfied with younger deer, even if they do not say so.

The pride in killing it with a bow outweighs the desire to kill a mature animal.

26-May-15
Get ready for RC to start pimping his "product" like he has been doing on the WI site. The opening question is merely the setup.

26-May-15
Is this RC? Nice, thanks for the news.

If so his technique is similar to the guy that post about nutrition, whom I will not name. Ask a question then provide the answer that only he claims to know and is normally either provocative or wrong.

26-May-15
I've tried the whole mock scrape thing. . .haven't seen it really work where I hunt, with an overabundance of suitable licking branches, and existing scrapes.

I think the real utility would be for a place for deer to stop as they cruise through, not as an actual attractant. I don't think a mock scrape where I hunt will modify movement enough to be effective

I've never killed a good one in a scrape before either. I've seen younger bucks use them quite a bit, and I've gotten pictures of older deer using scrapes in broad daylight, some even on field edges. Use by deer that I killed and later had aged by cementum annuli as 4+

But I'm just never there at the right place and the right time. :)

26-May-15
LOL RC....remarkable how similar this is to "mock scrapes licking branches" posted on the WI site by "davebow" aka RC. Good luck with your snake oil sales.

27-May-15
When in college and dirt poor I used to make my own mock scrapes, including putting "my own mix" in sterile and clean Mason jars. Would go in scent free, wear gloves, on the edge of a green bean field in mid-October with amazing photo results.

I never did kill a deer over them, but had a dozen pictures of bucks over 150 that would hit it at all hours of the night the two years I did this. This was in Boone County Iowa, private land, within a mile or so of some huge refuge areas for big bucks. Hope to get back there in a year or so and hunt some of these timber ghosts!

27-May-15

27-May-15
Far easier and less impact to bush hog under trees in good spots.I will do this in some open chasing areas to help stop bucks as they push does around in the early part of the rut

27-May-15
I have deer visiting a community scrape by my minerals year round. I have tried all the store crap and your own pee works just as good. (only one big one on that tinks scrape tape thing really early morning. 1 in like 10 years is bad odds.

28-May-15
Hey bowsiters. New to this site. Also looking for more information about mock scrapes since I have had great success hunting scrapes in the past. Last season we killed a 156" Whitetail on a scrape on the 7th of November and I also had two other deer that were in the 140s on the same scrape. The area is not your typical farmland with small wood lots. It is constant bush with forestry cut blocks and cutlines from gas and oil.

28-May-15

live2hunt88's embedded Photo
I did it last year with some good success but all the activity was at dark. I did it on a main trail about 40 yards down from my stand. I set it up then refreshed it one time, they kept it going pretty well on there own. Hopefully the pictures attach.

28-May-15

28-May-15

28-May-15

• Sitka Gear