Don 26-May-15
IdyllwildArcher 26-May-15
MT in MO 27-May-15
Ole Coyote 27-May-15
ELKMAN 28-May-15
Bake 28-May-15
Backcountry 28-May-15
26-May-15
Hoping you guys might have some insight. I switched from traditional back to compound this year. Things have went fairly smoothly. On a good night I can shoot baseball size groups at 30, and occasionally 5" groups at 50. Here's the problem. With everything sighted in & shooting as stated, I can be spot on one night, & the next night everything is 5" low at 50. I can move the entire sight bracket, not touching the pins & everything dials right back in. I'm on for a day or two, then everything changes again. For the life of me, I cannot figure out what I'm doing differently. My assumption is the anchor is changing, but when I try moving my anchor I cannot seem to effect the grouping much. Any ideas?

26-May-15
Check your nock point. If using a loop check to make sure the loop is not moving up and down on the string. If using a brass nock point, make sure it is not moving up and down the string...Had the same thing a few years ago and it took me a awhile to figure it out...if the nock point is not moving, put the bow on in a vice and see where everything is in relation to being level...I start with everything being level...could also be the sight bracket is moving...

26-May-15
Or, I suppose you could be getting lots of creep on the string if using a worn or cheap string/cable set. A creeping string would make everything look OK at rest and might shoot OK at first, but then due to the creep or stretch the nock point moves at draw and you no longer hit where you aim. Then you adjust the sight and everything is OK again because you are getting the same creep each time you draw, but the next time you shoot the string has had time to recover from the creep and you are no longer shooting where you aim. So you adjust the sight again and shooting good, but after awhile you need to adjust the sight again as the creep becomes more pronounced...I haven't seen a creeping string for quite some time, but depending on the string materials and how well it was made, it can happen...Creep is different from stretch. Creep only occurs when you shoot and the string goes back to its original length. Stretch is when the string is truly stretched and you can see it is stretched by measuring things...like the distance between the nock and the V or something else that should remain constant...

26-May-15
Thanks MT. This is a new elite 35 with factory string. Might try a nock above the string loop.

26-May-15
Your peep could also be sliding if not tied in properly.

26-May-15
+1 x-man, Make sure your peep is securely served in place.

26-May-15
If you haven't confirmed yet, check the tightness on your sight bracket, check your marks to see if the sight is drifting, The brackets can be hard to compress and it feels tight but isn't. Locktite on the dovetails on the bracket might help.

26-May-15
Peep Sight . Thanks everyone.

26-May-15
It's the peep.

Consider ditching the tube. Best thing I ever did.

Mark the top and bottom of the string at the peep margins with a very fine felt sharpy on both sides and you'll know if your peep has moved. Don't use a regular sharpy. Use the kind that has a point the size of a regular pen.

Just by looking, you'll know if your peep moved. Even in the field, you can get it really close just by moving it to your marks. It's much more prone to moving afield than it is at the range.

27-May-15
Should have thought of the peep first...8^)

27-May-15
Check your grip when your shooting well, now duplicate that ever time you shoot!

28-May-15
Make sure you are not changing the amount of pressure you are applying to the string with your face/nose. Very small changes in contact with the string at full draw/anchor has a huge effect on POI down range. PM me if problem persists and we can figure it out, even if we have to use video.

28-May-15
I'd double check form issues first.

I have a rule that I don't make any change to my sights until I've hit the same point of impact on 3 different shooting sessions

I find I start to get tired, or I get frustrated, or I'm doing something wrong or different when my POI changes from day to day.

When I'm really shooting a lot, and trying to sight in, I like to break up my shooting sessions. Shoot 5-10 arrows, then go tinker in the garage or yard for 5 or 10 minutes or longer, then go back and shoot more arrows. Repeat

I don't know if it's a concentration thing, or fatigue, but it seems to work for me

28-May-15
Also, I would be curious to see if your draw length is correct as this can cause major consistency issues.

• Sitka Gear