Contributors to this thread:
Pmixmaster 29-May-15
NoWiser 29-May-15
HDE 29-May-15
cityhunter 29-May-15
ben 29-May-15
cmbbulldog 29-May-15
26-May-15
So my dad and I were lucky enough to draw NM unit 51 this year and I was hoping to tap into the expertise here at bowsite to get started :)

Neither he nor I have been there, so was just hoping that someone may be able to help point us in the right direction on where to start our scouting efforts. Any help you may be able to provide would be very very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance everyone!

29-May-15
My piece of advice hide you gear, chain and bolt everything if possible take 2 trucks and leave one at camp at all times tons of rip offs there my tent got jacked last year .

Lots of elk should be a good year as they hae closed the campgrounds and lakes near canjilon up there for at least 2 years so the traffic will not be heavy in the entire areaid try around hopewell lake or canon plaza if i were you

29-May-15
I've pretty much heard the same. Plenty of elk, but lock up anything you don't want to grow legs. Maybe hide some trail cameras around camp to keep an eye on things for you while you're hunting.

29-May-15
And sadly enough, local law enforcement won't do much about it. Avoid Labor Day weekend for sure...

29-May-15
That's really unfortunate about the burglars.. We will be taking an enclosed trailer and will probably use that as our base camp...hopefully the lock will help deter any of those idiots..

Glad to hear that there should be some elk running around though! Thanks for the advice!

29-May-15
be safe pack heat in case of meth heads

29-May-15
Yeah. we hunted it a few years back and had the skulls/antlers of two bulls we killed stolen right from our camp after dark one night when we were just going to sleep in the camper. Lock up for sure...

29-May-15
Sounds like if you have trouble hunting elk, there are plenty of other 2 legged creatures you could turn your attention to. Sad deal that stuff happens out there.

• Sitka Gear