r-man 08-Jul-15
jdrdeerslayer 08-Jul-15
jdrdeerslayer 09-Jul-15
jdrdeerslayer 09-Jul-15
nutritionist 09-Jul-15
jdrdeerslayer 10-Jul-15
jdrdeerslayer 31-Jul-15
27-May-15
so this year im trying something new on my food plot in north central mass, soy beans....I our seasons start late (3rd week of October to end of December) we often have snow cover in late nov early dec so I figured standing beans would be good, with some brassicas along side of them, any way how long do I have to get the beans in the ground? I had planned on it last weekend but because of a issue with my tractor and dry conditions it didn't happen. the beans are real world northern blend beans..... any advice? also I am planning on a e-fence to help them get established.

27-May-15
Your seed dealer can best answer the questions.

Some beans are a fixed maturity date and a few are indeterminate. Fixed ones are listed by group number. ie. Group 3, group 4 etc. That is an indication of the average number of days until maturity.

Indeterminate beans grow until first frost. Some call them forage beans. They do produce beans but they are not as large as the ag varieties in my experience. Beans provide two food types. One is the summer lush green forage. The second is the actual beans and pods. In the Midwest, we plant up to late June. In normal years Mid May seems to be preferred. Due to wet and cold, this year few have been planted yet. The ones that are will mostly need replanted. I will be replanting.

Good luck with your project.

27-May-15
Pat, Looks like you have done a post extension on you electric fence...if so , could you elaborate?

27-May-15
yikes i just planted a acre plus of quad pro beans, no fence installed hope they dont get mauled .

Pat how bout pics of your planter ,, I did a broadcast this trip this grows old fast!!

27-May-15
A couple of questions about real world beans: -are the RR? -are there different varieties....ie...ones for putting out beans (late season) and one for leaf tonnage(earlier season)

Nice looking planter Pat.

27-May-15
Pat didnt u have a woods drill planter.

27-May-15
If you guys are planting a non round up variety, you should try 15" rows or broadcast. This way they canopy the ground quicker, and keep the weeds down. Weeds and grass are the hardest part of growing beans when you don't have a sprayer or your own equipment.

27-May-15
Ya I don't have a drill....all I have is my tractor,a 8' landscape rake, a box blade, and a 7' 2 row harrow & a chain drag/harrow. I was thinking till,use rake to neatin it up then broad cast beans and lightly till In. How's that sound? I believe the rw beans are round up ready. Also my plan is keep the weeds down with rr then broadcast a turnip/brassica mix over the the beans in late july. And plant another acre next to the beans in brassica

27-May-15
Ya I don't have a drill....all I have is my tractor,a 8' landscape rake, a box blade, and a 7' 2 row harrow & a chain drag/harrow. I was thinking till,use rake to neatin it up then broad cast beans and lightly till In. How's that sound? I believe the rw beans are round up ready. Also my plan is keep the weeds down with rr then broadcast a turnip/brassica mix over the the beans in late july. And plant another acre next to the beans in brassica

27-May-15
jdr.. what do your neighboring farmers have planted? Late beans might be a better option. Deer like young tender beans. We plant beans after wheat here in the Mid Atlantic. Sometimes as late as July 1! Those late tender beans will pull deer off any early panted farms! Use a group 2 variety for late and group 4 for early. Seed 50lbs an acre early and about 75lbs per acre late. A good way to get a bachelor herd is to plant a early plot and a late. Try and get them at least 1/2 in the ground, we shoot for 1 1/2" but they will come up if they are covered and have moisture. Its all out the window when the nuts start dropping, but at least the deer will be closer to you during the season. .

27-May-15
Crops? Haha no crops this area it is a heavily wooded(big woods) area little to no fields in low dpsm area,I can literally walk In a direction and not find crops of any kind for at least 5-7 miles.....closest is to the north and west both are around 5 -6 miles away and both are in corn and both are always harvested before hunting season. No crops at all to south or east just big woods. A few years ago I had my plot in Brassica and there were no acorns and it literally drew deer for miles around ....last year my plot was a total failure I had a large flock of geese move in and wipe it out as the plants were sprouting ....

27-May-15
plant your beans asap. I never plant them in a row, the deer plots should have double the seed that a crop farmer plant to be harvested, and my deer mow them down soon as they set 8th leaves, some are able to recover, I don't care because I just tickle disc some more , or fill the destroyed area , my garden beans are all ready hanging. As for the correct time to plant is any time they will grow/. we are not harvesting them, .the deer eat the plant , and return to munch beans later.

29-May-15
anyone got any ideas as to how to keep geese out of my food plot? my plot boarders a 10 acre swamp and they seem to think my plot is there buffet. they are worse than any deer ever....feathered goats!

30-May-15
yikes i have seen folks have dog decoys work for a short period if u have a dog let him loose on them flying rats . You r correct they do more damage then deer .

31-May-15

jdrdeerslayer's DeerBuilder embedded Photo

Well s2 acres of beans are in just in time for some good rain too! I also installed a e-fence around the whole thing. I still gotta put down 500lbs of fertilizer in the next few days....and try to keep the flying rats out.

03-Jun-15
Nice work do u get enough sun in that spot .

04-Jun-15
yes it gets plenty of sun....it runs north south, ive had good luck with other crops. only issue I have is if we get a lot of rain that side of the field and be kinda wet in the middle...but that really hasn't been a issue yet this year. fingers crossed. I checked on it yesterday and I could see a few tracks wear deer got lit up by the fence lol. I also noticed what I could see for beans they all had little tails(starting to sprout)

12-Jun-15
so my beans are now starting to come up nicely, they are probally 2" now. question is when do you guys usually hit your RR beans with gly? also do you mix it full strength? reason I worry is probally ten years ago I had some biologic corn/bean mix that was supposed to be RR and I spayed it and it killed it. I do know they took that product off the market the next year tho..... right now weeds are not to bad but im sure 3 weeks from now will be a different story....

12-Jun-15
Let the weeds and grass tell you when to spray, then decide how much gly to use. 2" weeds/grass 1 qt/acre with AMS is fine. 6"+ grass/weeds 2 qt/acre with AMS.

12-Jun-15
I use 2 1/2 to 3 oz. Glyflo per gallon of water.

12-Jun-15
Pat, that looks like our Firminator!!!!

we would most likely be classified as rookies or clowns, but boy it is fun!!!

12-Jun-15
pre-emergent , may help weeds, if your beans are in rows you can spray between them and not direct full dose of gly to plants, as for rr ready beens contact seller or manufacturer of beans for rr safe rates. most of us use 41% or greater and 1/2oz with sticker kills fine. I seldom use more then 1.5 oz per gal even for brushy plants. and some weeds wont hurt your food plot.

12-Jun-15
wait till the rows are about to canopy shut from the bean plants then you shouldn't have to worry bout weeds for the rest of the year. this is how farmers do it in the fields.

15-Jun-15
Nice. I may hire you to come plant at my place. :^)

16-Jun-15

Here's the beans as of today....they are doing very well ....I will probally spray it with gly this weekend

21-Jun-15
The Ag PHD recommends to spray when the WEEDS are about 3" tall.

07-Jul-15

Here's the beans as of today....been a little over a month I feel like they should be taller??? Anyone have input? They are around 6-10" as of today. We have been getting alot of rain too much actually. Another thing I noticed is on a cloudy day or at night all the Leaves are pointed down then on a sunny day the leaves are pointing up.....is this normal for beans??

07-Jul-15
Its cooler than normal up there, beans like the heat of summer, bean leafs are always going in some direction. if you can add some nitrogen, your beans look lighter in color then normal.

08-Jul-15
I would love to see a pic of each bean seed used in these food plots, a close up pic so I can identify the bean, or are they just a soy type .

08-Jul-15
Nitrogen? I had a soil test done and pH came back perfect (lime it heavily last year) and it called for 250lbs a acre of 10/10/10 which I did apply . Next time I'm up I'll snap some close up pics for you bean experts.

09-Jul-15

So here's the beans as of yesterday. Th back portion of the field seems slightly better as it gets a lil for sun and is a little higher/better drainage.

09-Jul-15

09-Jul-15
For the people with issues with beans...here are some things to consider...

did you use an innoculant when you planted your beans? If you didn't you might not be getting good nitrogen fixation. Pull a few plants out of the ground and take some pictures of the roots and post on here or send to me.

Another issue some have is low soil sulfur levels. You might think you have nitrogen deficiency but you might have sulfur deficiency instead.

On new plots, you might also have soil compaction issues....

If you have larger plots and are not sure what your issues are, you can clip a few plants and send the samples into a lab and get plant tissue analysis. This is something people overlook doing. For $20, you will get what exactly is going on in the plant at that time.

10-Jul-15

Well I hadn't been to my camp/plot in a few days and we had some really hard rain last night which isn't what I wanted .....but I went up today and in a few days time plot is really looking good beans ha e lost alot of there yellow turn and leaves seem to be filling out amazing what a few days of sun (prior to the rain) can do!....now hoping for some more sun.

31-Jul-15
so my beans are now any where from knee high to waste high and most are flowering now. how long after flowering till pods start emerging?

• Sitka Gear