Stoney 30-May-15
Mule Power 30-May-15
gobbler 30-May-15
deerslayer 30-May-15
gobbler 30-May-15
orionsbrother 30-May-15
Mule Power 31-May-15
27-May-15
Hunted last year in Montana where a outfitter has a camp , saw him around with clients , So what effects does this have on a area ? Seems to me all outfitters on public land do is show everyone how to come hunt next time on their own. Probably why some good areas get so crowded ? What you all think?

27-May-15
I think it is a pretty lousy practice. I know the biologist I have been talking with in Kansas thinks it should be outlawed. He told me of one outfitter who leases 15,000 acres yet still hunts public land or walk in areas as well. The problem I see with it is for non-residents who are on a do it yourself hunt. These guys go in well before most folks can get to a property and hang stands and kind of lay "claim" to the good areas. I agree that it can teach clients hunting with them where to go the next year but as I said if the outfitter has set a bunch of stands in an area, I would feel funny about going in and setting up in those same spots. Maybe its just me but I don't think I would do it if I was an outfitter. Shawn

27-May-15
You guys really need to hunt AZ!

27-May-15
I think it should be illegal, but who cares what my/our opinion is? ;)

It gets frustrating that they lease up great land that used to be available to the common folk, but then they also get in on the public ground which is usually the only spots regular Joes have left to hunt. Add in their ability to bring in large pack strings and camps, and they seem to eventually try to push out all the competition from blue collar guys. Don't want to be a squeaky wheel, and I'm an avid pro-capitalist, but sometimes it feels that they are like a disease invading every available area. JMHO........ (Again, who cares what we think. The almighty dollar will win every time)

27-May-15
You guys are clueless. I'm not even going to waste my breath.

Deerman... it is posted in the elk forums bro. I'm pretty sure the elk outfitters don't go hang stand in all the prime spots. doh!

27-May-15
It's public land, and the outfitters and their clients are part of the public.

I've hired outfitters for public land, and been messed up by outfitters on public land I was hunting.

If you think the packstrings are an advantage...hire one for your own use.

How is it different than the guy who has permission to hunt some great public property, but he still hits some favored public areas.

Isn't he messing up the DYI guy who only has access to public?

27-May-15
I have hunted the last two years in a unit in Co for elk. Well an outfitter had a camp about a 1/4 mile from us. It didn't bother us one bit and I am pretty sure we didn't bother them either. We were into elk and from what the guys said in there camp they were as well.

27-May-15
They have as much right to hunt public land as you do.

27-May-15
Mule,

You seem like a cool guy, and I'm sure we would get along great. I also know you used to outfit here in Mt, so please don't take my comments personally. Don't want to paint with a broad brush. I know not all outfitters are equal. Some are great, some are a gigantic pain and have edged out the little man. I don't expect you to agree with me giving your aforementioned business as an outfitter, and that's fine, but we all have our opinions and this happens to be mine, based on a guy who lives here and has to work harder and harder every year to be successful due to increased intrusion on the areas I hunt.

Writer,

I do use my own animals, doesn't change a whole lot. My point is that my hunting partner and I have a lot less impact and pressure than an outfitter bringing through dozens upon dozens of people in a given area.

Furthermore, although they are certainly part of the public they also are using public land to run their private business. IMO that makes it different. Nothing I say or do will change your minds or whether or not they continue to have access to public land for profit of their business, but it also won't change the frustration I feel. Adjust and carry on is the name of the game these days, but it gets old to constantly have to re-adjust plans and spots because XYZ outfitter has moved in and changed the whole dynamic of a spot.

Some of the ones my group of friends have had dealings with have been pushy, and sometimes downright rude. Even to the point of trying to push deer from land they did not have access to back to their lease, and trying to lock up public access by intimidation and telling people who didn't know better that it was not open to the public.

(That same outfitter got a taste of his own medicine when one of my buddies flew his helicopter into the middle of the landlocked public land. My buddy said the look on his face was priceless)

That brings up another one of my problems with many outfitters in that there is thousands upon thousands of acres of public land, in this state alone, that has been locked up and made available only to outfitters because they have paid Joe farmer to not allow John Q Public to access the corner of their property that abuts the public land. Corner hopping is not legal here in MT and due to this many outfitters have the only access to a publicly owned entity. Yet I am supposed to be completely fine that they also encroach on the rest of the public land that isn't landlocked? C'mon....

Again not all are the same, or have the same impact, but many do. Not much can be done about it, but that doesn't mean I have to jump up and down for joy when a once great spot gets overrun with an outfitter and their clients, and pushes out those who don't have the same resources.

You don't have to agree, but that's my opinion regardless of whether anyone else agrees or not. Apparently the powers at be do not, so the struggle with ill feelings between guys like me and guys like them will continue.....

27-May-15

Start My Hunt's Link
I have mixed emotions on this topic. The area that we used to hunt was great because there were so many outfitters hunting the private fringe areas that they actually pushed more game onto the public land where we were hunting. The rancher has since shut their operations down, and now the elk use the private areas as a refuge.

On the other hand, I have been told by a few outfitters that I was hunting on "their land" when I had the maps to prove them otherwise. Not a fun situation to be in when everybody is armed, but in the end it all worked good.

Mike

28-May-15
Shutting down land locked public land is a completely different subject than outfitters putting up camps on public land. Apples and oranges.

Adapt. Use the camps to your advantage. There are few "knowns" in hunting. Knowing where an outfitter is dropping people and the type of pressure that those types of hunters will apply to elk can work to your advantage. Go one to two miles from the camp to the nastiest drainage nearest the camp that the average guy who won't pack his own camp 2-5 miles in himself in the first place, wont go to.

All you have to do is figure out where Joe Part-Time-Hunter is going to push all the elk to.

This strategy worked great for us in WY two years ago when the unit we were in had GE images taken in Sept. You could see all the canvas wall tents from space. On a 10 day hunt, we were in to elk every day in 4 different spots from the truck. I scouted the unit in July and the outfitters were out there with chainsaws getting their spots ready. It really wasn't that hard.

I've also called outfitters in the off-season and just said, "look, I'm going to level with you. I'm going to hunt the unit DIY that you drop guys in during Sept. I'm thinking of hunting A, B, C, D, and E. Your guys don't want to see me and I don't want to see them. Where are you going to put people?" I've gotten a few outfitters to open up and even gotten good info out of them, asked them about water sources and what-not. They're usually really good people and they know these units like the back of their hand. I had one guy in WY not only tell me where all his camps were, but where his competitor's camps were. Saved me a phone call.

28-May-15
When the argument is "It's public land available to them as well as everyone else", but many of those same outfitters lock up public land that's available only to them and not everyone else, then it is not "Apples and oranges".

What is apples and oranges is comparing a one time out of state hunt to residents who have been consistently pushed out of their long time spots by outfitters. I already stated "Adjust and carry on is the name of the game these days", so I get what you're saying about using it to your advantage, but it doesn't change the harsh reality that has become epidemic in certain areas.

I know this is a hot button topic for both sides of the isle, but the OP stated "What you all think?"

What I have stated thus far is my thinks;)

28-May-15
When I said apples and oranges, I was referring to the OP. Locking up land locked public land is way off-topic from the OP. I totally agree that it's not right on many levels.

I totally get what you're saying man. My backyard gets invaded too and it's frustrating. But it's public land. Outfitters get to use it just like National Geographic can come film a show on it just like a logger can come clear cut it.

My local spot once had a mountain bike race set up where I hunt. Between them setting up the paper arrows on every tree to the race and the cleanup, the entire area was destroyed for the entire archery season (deer). It sucks, but it's theirs too and there's not much you can do about it. My point was to make lemonade from lemons when you have no control over the situation.

Getting outfitters banned from public lands is never ever going to happen. Even if it was righteous and I don't think it is, I seriously doubt any ban would hold up in court.

Still, locking up public land by not allowing corner hopping is just discusting to me. The laws should be changed. But that's not what the thread is about.

28-May-15
My point is that some outfitters lock up land but also heavily use the unlocked land as well. A getting-to-eat-their-cake-too sort of thing. My personal opinion is that they do go hand in hand. They are using regular access as well as locking up other public property through corner hopping, and then wonder why guys like me are aggravated. The old " A man has a right to make a living" argument gets tiresome.

I personally have a belief that use of public lands for private financial gain should be, in large part, prohibited. Especially if it begins to largely and directly affect others ability to enjoy it in a negative way. To me outfitters are much the same as ranchers who use public land for grazing benefits. Both bother me and I wish it wasn't allowed. There is often a sense of ownership and entitlement mentality that both have when using publicly owned land for their own private financial gain and benefit. A prime example was last year when the area I hunt was heavily and negatively affected due to a private ranch not getting their cattle out on time.

I know there are many who disagree and that's fine. I also know that it likely will never change. Regardless, I can still wish differently and hope for the day when the constant gobbling up of once good spots will cease. Hunting has become commercialized to seemingly irreversible levels, and I think outfitters have had a large part to play in that. I do wonder what kind of opportunities will be available to my son when he is my age. I'm sure I will get flamed for this and accused of having a sky is falling mentality. That's fine. I'm honest enough to admit that's how I feel. I am not trying to be a jerk to people like mule, but I have grown weary of having to make lemonade. I'm sure in the morning everyone will jump in on this thread and roast me, but I'll be busy hunting bears. Hopefully my bait hasn't got cut off by an outfitter like many of my other buddies this year, or had outfitter's hounds cut loose on my bait as often happens in that area.

Enjoy the popcorn fellas! ;)

28-May-15
Just playing Devil's Advocate here, but how is logging any different? Much of this country's lumber comes from public lands in the U.S. and Canada. It's "use of public lands for private financial gain." Your own home you live in could very well be built with lumber from public lands.

"There is often a sense of ownership and entitlement mentality that both have when using publicly owned land for their own private financial gain and benefit."

I've seen this too and I agree 100%.

"Hunting has become commercialized to seemingly irreversible levels, and I think outfitters have had a large part to play in that."

I agree with the 1st part of that sentence, but you're getting into a chicken before the egg type question. I think the guy who hires the outfitter is what drove what you're ranting about. Anyone who holds a dollar bill out will always find someone that will stand up and take it. These outfitters wouldn't have a job if there wasn't someone paying them to do it. You're on the front lines in MT and the guy in front of you is the outfitter that's telling you that you no longer have access, but he's only acting as an agent for the guy that's hired him. The average outfitter probably wants you to have a good hunt too. It's the guy who's hired him that's paying for exclusive access or some inside info and closer access. In a way, the outfitter is just doing what he has to or what he's told. But the kicker is, the guy who's payed for that access, doesn't necessarily want to screw you either. He's just paying for something he wants.

But while that may be frustrating for the DIY guy and the local, it's not inherently malicious. The average guy who pays a guide to drop him in the woods doesn't think "I can't wait to get out there so I can f@$% some local guy." He's just going to have a good time and paying someone to make it more convenient or increase his odds.

I don't use guides, but I don't begrudge them or the people that use them. After all, I pay someone to make my bow and arrows. We all have our lines where we pay for convenience and where we draw that line is a personal decision.

You draw the line at public lands and I absolutely see your point of view.

I hunt DIY on public land for personal reasons. It's easy to begrudge the competition. I try to have pride without angst. It's not easy, but I think it's the way to go.

28-May-15
I appreciate your point of view. You're right in many ways, and I certainly don't think outfitters are inherently wrong or bad, but I just grow weary of it all for the aforementioned reasons. However I do understand what your saying, and I believe your probably more balanced in your approach than me. Like you said though, me and my friends are on the front lines, and it seems to get harder and harder to get away from people every year. When you live in the "last best place" and you have the thought process that you're in the middle of nowhere only to realize over time you're just as apt to run into people here as you are anywhere else, you begin to wonder if there's anywhere without competition and solitude anymore.

28-May-15
People feel their hobby should have no commercial aspect. It's their passion and a labor of love so to speak. To them.

Just ask anyone who owns an archery shop. You are supposed to work on bows for the love of it and sell new ones at cost..... and work overtime during seasons....

I've used a guide once, it was required by law. Had a great hunt and a great adventure, made some lifelong friends as well. My two main hunting partners are guides. I'm the amateur.

Truckers do commerce on public roads. Taxis, tow trucks, etc. Roads built on public land and with public funds. Performing a service to folks very much the "public", as public as anyone else out there. But ones passion, how they see it as special... commercial use is evil... what? Why? Exactly what do you do for a living??? Why is it exempt?

Outfitters pay for their permits and licensing, same as truckers. Dollars earned are taxed, many other fees and such folks don't realize.

Places where it needs regulation are regulated. Others not so much.

IMO, the issue is there are those who have unscrupulous business practices. But then so do many other professions, from mechanics to doctors to priests.....

28-May-15
I have been on both sides of this. Spent almost 10 years guiding in AK on National Forest. In that case we were very restricted on number of clients and how and where we hunted. That kept a level playing field with resident hunters who could hunt when and wherever they want. In Arizona they don't seem to be restricted at all and it adds to the chaos. In iowa where I live I have been on the other side , I have owned and managed some farms that bordered state land. Never guided on it but have used it for access. If someone books a hunt in the Midwest and they get put on public land they should reconsider there choice of guides.

28-May-15
it's more an hunter vs. outfitter issue. who is paying an outfitter to hunt on public land. seem slike a good gig for the outfitter if they can get it, but in most cases seems like something the hunter is overpaying for.

if i am going to spend money on an outfitter i want to get to places that weekend warriors can't get to. now there are situations where we are talking such huge or remote areas that others can't / don't go there even though they are not prohibited from doing so, but paying an outfitter to take you to a readily available and accessible area seems like a bum deal for the hunter.

28-May-15
Another thought on this is if someone manages a successful guiding business in a public land setting they probably are providing a true service either through scouting and specialized equipment. Although always controversial outfits like Mossback and A3 seem to always produce some of the top animals for the areas they hunt.

28-May-15
Look at the positive aspect, if it's a decent outfitter permitted for that area then you know there's a good chance there's elk around. Hunt harder and smarter and punch your tag.

28-May-15
This has to be one of the most rediculous viewpoints I've ever seen on Bowsite.

The County I live in (having the largest elk herd in North America) is 78% Public Lands.

So- what is your opinion that Outfitters should only hunt on Private Property?

28-May-15
"This has to be one of the most ridiculous viewpoints I've ever seen on Bowsite."

After going through the TBM chapter, that statement is weighty!

28-May-15
If outfitters were restricted to private property then everyone would start complaining that the "common man" no longer has access to private property.

How is hiring an outfitter any different than a local hosting a group of friends that want to hunt the public lands? Many guys just don't have the time to properly select and scout an area to hunt. Especially if you live 1500 mile away! Some guys use outfitters because they want to learn how to hunt a certain animal.

With regards to going back and hunting the same locations that an outfitter has taken you too...that is an unethical practice. The outfitter has spent a lot of time and effort locating productive places to hunt. This is no different than taking a friend to your favorite honey hole and then going back the next weekend only to find your "friend" sitting at your honey hole with two of his friends.

28-May-15
I thought that we got rid of TBM but maybe he is hacking into peoples accounts?

For an outfitter to operate on Public land they must have the proper permits. This permit is offered by the governing agency. Forrest Service, BLM, State etc. In that permit it set term of use, days camps are allowed, number of animals used etc.

There are other issues brought up here which are also illegal. For example marking property as private when it is not, that is against the law. It is however hard to prove it was the outfitter. I have seen public land hunters mark land in order to keep others out as well.

As far as outfitters messing up the hunt, they know more about the animals, land and hunting than any one else. They manage their camps, numbers and hunters in order to keep the hunting good.

I have had far more public land hunters screw things up way worse than any outfitter. Be it driving in ATVs, Walking the wrong way into bedding areas, etc.

If you do not like it man up and become an outfitter and see what it is like trying to make a living hunting on public lands.

As long as the are providing a a hunt and not having a client sit in a hotel until a small army finds the bull the client wants. We know there are some practices that are not cool, but by in large outfitters are decent people wanting to make money.

28-May-15
"residents who have been consistently pushed out of their long time spots by outfitters"

Um, wouldn't the vast majority of the outfitters also be residents? And, usually long-time residents and hunters at that?

29-May-15
Every area of national Forest that has an authorized outfitter on it has had one for a long long time. They don't give out many if any new areas. Sometimes an old tier outfitter may go dormant and then he sells his business and you see the new guy back in action. But the user permit was always there and it was hunted in the past.

The land lock subject is a whole other can of worms. But a big point to be made would be that if you had permission to hunt the adjacent private land... you could hunt what was inaccessible to others.

As far as actual elk outfitting on public land.... many DIY guys forget to mention that they got there start on outfitted hunts. Also... there are lots of people who would like to hunt elk but just aren't prepared to do it on their own. They also aren't quite sure if they'll become elk junkies like some people do so they are wise .to hold off on investing a bunch of money into the gear to do a DIY hunt until they find out. In the meantime they want to give it a try and NOT on some cushy private ranch. They want to experience the real deal in the mountains. After all if they do decide to hunt on their own that is where they would end up. it just so happens that the mountains are public land.

Them thar hills are big pilgrims. So forget that Pa/Ohio mentality. There's plenty to go round. Unless you want to park and hunt without putting forth much effort. Then you may cross paths with others but you get out of it what you put into it.

Yu might think about using an outfitter camp, which can never move, to your advantage as well.

29-May-15
Mule, good point. I always use the expected pressure to make my hunts more productive.

29-May-15
One of our Bowsiters who rarely posts anymore found a great spot on NF during summer scouting. He decided to call the outfitter who has a license for the area to tell him he and his buddy would be packing in there, told him when, and wanted to make sure it wouldn't be a conflict.

The outfitter told him it was a good area and he didn't hunt it, so they would probably be into elk and not bothered by anyone.

After backpacking in they found a camp of guys who'd been there the whole week before. They were a drop camp from that same outfitter. They'd been into elk the first few days, but ran them out and all the elk were gone. They hadn't seen any for days, and neither did my friend.

I used to guide for an outfitter. I know how the business works. No way would I share a spot I'd scouted and found elk. I'd rather take my chances.

29-May-15

Start My Hunt's Link
Lou, your knowledge is called wisdom, and I have a lot to learn. Keep on teaching.

Mike Bowsite Sponsor

30-May-15
Back in the 80's my first elk hunting as a teen was rifle with my dad and family friends. One year there were some guys camped about 3/4 of a mile up the main trail. Seemed odd to pack all that stuff 15 or 20 minutes from the road. A guy stopped near our camp an unloaded a horse twice and would be back in an hour, load up and leave. We figured he was looking for straggler cattle since they would usually come down the main trail if they got missed during round-up.

Turns out he was an outfitter checking on the guys he "packed" in 3 hours. Told them not to hunt north (towards the road) because it was all private. After watching 2 or 3 groups of guys come by on foot everyday, they finally struck up a conversation and found out how close they were to the road. I'm guessing when he came to pack them out, they told him to skip the fake 3 hour ride and just take the trail north to the road 20 minutes. :^)

Hunting around outfitters can be good or bad. Its nice to be alone so you only have to worry about guys in your party effecting the elk, but there's a lot of folks sharing the woods. I really don't see guides and clients having any worse impact than a DIY group. Always have a plan B and C when your area gets too much pressure or has too few elk.

30-May-15
It is public land, they can be there just like you and I can. I had two contacts in the San Juans with outfitters, and both were positive.

nice guys, taking clients in and out, shared info, and yes I also found elk......

all of us that use public land, must cherish it, must respect it, must care for it, like it was our own, because it is our own land. be courteous to fellow hunters and users. pick up trash, if you see it..

life is short, enjoy it, killing an elk is great, but its not the end of the world, if you do not get one, and have patience, if the other guys are in the next drainage, and bust your elk, it happens,

I have no problem paying the NR tag. The state manages the wildlife, and for the most part do a good job. It would be a nightmare, if they turned it over to the Feds.

I could move to WY or Colorado tomorrow if I wanted too, retired, and pretty well set up. but I would not want to leave the beloved UP, and N Wis, would miss Lake Superior country too much, all the lakes and streams,,,,,,,

Life is choices, out west is too crowded for me, but going out there to hunt, is always a treat,,,,,,

30-May-15
Outfitting for profit on public land is illegal in Mississippi.

30-May-15
I've been hunting in MT about 10 times over the past 30 years about 5 miles in and 4,000 ft vertical and for me and my cousin we did a DIY in about 10 hours to get to where we wanted with about 70 - 100 lbs on our backs 2 or 3 times. Now that same drainage has 1 guide who didn't want to do a dropcamp to where we wanted to go which is why we did a DIY hunt. However this year we have a new guide that is going to do a dropcamp to a place close by but totally different terrain but one that we know has Elk and we won't see a bunch of guys back there because its horses only to get in. But a lot of guys that look at this site only get to do this Elk Hunt Once in a lifetime and these guides are local guides that know the land inside and out, provide services just like any other business and can take you back to where you need to be to get into Elk. So the bottom line is you can DIY (Bust your balls to get in) or pay just like anything else for a service that is usually pretty good.

30-May-15
There was talk of outlawing waterfowl guiding on public marshes in Kansas.

I heard from quite a few hunters, who hired guides, saying it was THEIR right be guided on public land.

Most didn't want to spend the money it takes to get heavy in to waterfowlling, but wanted to make sure they had their best chances on the days when the went.

30-May-15
I may have missed it somewhere in the thread but my understanding is that outfitters must have user permits and lease the "outfitting rights" for public land. I don't think they can just go anywhere they want to especially for deer and elk. It might be different for sheep. At least that is how I understood it in WY. Maybe it's different in other states, but I thought National Forest and BLM land were treated equal in all the states except where WY throws in the Wilderness rule.

30-May-15
An outfitter buys permits which is usually a large hunting area. The more permits, the more land. Then you have day use permits, where you can hunt anywhere for a day to several days, but you can't have a permanent camp. Several outfitters here in Colorado hunt on day permits, were they can go anywhere. It's the outfitters with permits that are required to clean trails iin to their hunting camps. Without these outfitters, the trails wouldn't get cleared or worked on.

Every year it's the same thing. Someone gets pissed and starts ranting about outfitters and corner jumping. If you don't like it, lease the land yourself. Then you can let everyone who wants to hunt the ranch and the landlocked land. It gets old listening to guys ranting about outfitters but know nothing about what it takes just to stay afloat in a very tough business...

30-May-15
Many or most northern states have exclusive outfitter operating areas on National Forest lands. No other outfitters can operate in those areas. It is however open to the general public.

In AZ and NM it is almost all wide open with outfitters running over the top of each other. In NM the Gila National Forest has over 90 permitted hunting outfitters.

In order to make a quality hunting experience for our clients it is becoming harder and harder to do so. The Forest Service proclaims it would restrict free enterprise to limit the outfitters. Maybe so, but there comes a time when something has to, or should be done.

30-May-15
Outfitters in Montana used to pay a rate of 3% off of the gross in user fees to the Forest Service. Plus a fee to the Board of Outfitters. Plus a $400 outfitter license fee and $200 per guide. For that they were supposed to keep our trails clear. That's it. But they were too lazy to do it so they would contract people to do it. Then we bitched and said why don't you pay us... in other words give us our money back and we will do it ourselves. So they turned around and said all of the federal money was now going to the war and so if we wanted the trails clear we would have to do it ourselves and... the fees went up!

If we call and say someone is riding dirt bikes where they shouldn't be they do nothing. If I pound a single nail into a tree... RIGHT NEXT TO THE 99 NAILS THE CATTLE RANCHER IS ALLOWED TO POUND IN.... they want to fine me and suspend my license. Heaven forbid I hide a piece of stovepipe under a pine tree. A few of those violations and they want to completely revoke my user permit. When the rancher leaves his animals on the mountain months later than he supposed to they do nothing. When those cows eat tons of my hay that I paid guys thousands to pack in I'm shit out of luck and he is not responsible to reimburse me for his actions and never faces any kind of penalties for over grazing. But if I run into a public hunter I tell him he can stop by even if nobody is in camp and help himself to a cup of coffee and warm up and if I am around I'll gladly pack an elk out for him. But for the most part the locals and the non residents hate me anyway. Oh yeah... outfitting is a bowl of cherries.

I have no regrets. I enjoyed every... well most, of the days up there. But I am damn sure glad I don't do it anymore. Having been in the trenches I can honestly say I feel sorry for public land elk outfitters. It is a labor of love not profit and you don't win any popularity contests in the process.

Now I'm a happy DIY camper. :-)

30-May-15
When I'm driving on an Interstate I don't think 18 wheelers should be on the road. They are making money driving on the same road that I'm using for a pleasure trip. That just dosen't seem fair to me.

30-May-15
There are a lot of apples to oranges scenarios that are being bantered around here, and I have neither the time nor desire to address all of them.

I will admit however, that I may have been a bit overzealous in stating my case. It's just that lately the outfitters I know of in the areas I hunt have made things difficult on me and my friends. I know not all are that way, and I don't begrudge a man his right to make a living. I should not have said it should be illegal. That was hasty and ill thought out, but I do grow very tired of the constant land grabbing of the ones in my area. Then you go to hunt public land, and just about the time you think you've found some solitude, they come through with a giant pack string and cut you off. I know they're not all bad, neither are their intentions always bad, but it just grows plain wearisome to try and compete with someone who has their livelihood in it. Unless you're inherently wealthy it's just about impossible to do, and it's very frustrating when they have much of the good private land leased up then also show up on the public as well. Then to top it off they have an attitude like you're the one who's intruding!

However, in the end I will say that what someone already stated is very true, it's usually other public land hunters that screw up a spot worse than any outfitter.

That all said I'm done with this thread. I've now been compared to TBM and said to have the "one of the most rediculous viewpoint on Bowsite". (Try using spell check next time) Nothing wrong with disagreeing, but you don't have to be a turd about it. Funny how folks with differing viewpoints like Idyll are taken much more to heart by people like me than others who have to result to bashing.

Peace Out.....

30-May-15
This is an issue that has been going on for years and it's only going to get worse in the future. In OTC units or even some draw units it's going to happen. It's not that I like it it's just a fact that has to be dealt with. It's not the 1700s any more although it would be nice if it were, it just isn't. There's going to be more and more people competing for fewer animals on the same amount of land. That's why we have people waiting 20 years for elk and deer tags in order to try and have a quality hunt. Either that or spend half the cost of a new truck to hunt on private land.

It's not that I agree or disagree with the complaint but it's the way it is and there's nothing that can be done about it.

30-May-15
Yep. Ike's right. We're all chasing the same thing.

In each group, outfitters, guides, sports, DIY hunters, land owners, there's good, bad and in between. Like any group of people.

Regardless of which group you fall in, don't go out of your way to be a Dick.

31-May-15
Gobbler... haha! Good comparison really.

I think we should give HOV lanes to women so they don't aggravate me on the main roads.

If I run into another hunter I just ask "Do I know you from Bowsite?" If he says no I say "You dick what gives you the right to hunt here then?"

Lighten up deerslayer... it's all good.

• Sitka Gear