Cottonwood88 09-Jul-15
Cottonwood88 12-Aug-15
IdyllwildArcher 12-Aug-15
Cottonwood88 12-Aug-15
Jason Scott 12-Aug-15
Cottonwood88 12-Aug-15
Destroyer350 12-Aug-15
23-Jun-15
First of all this is not to put anyone down for their choice of equipment. I would like to hear the opinions of others on the subject. Especially from young people (younger than I...I'm closing in on 30!) I had a great conversation several weeks ago while in an archery shop with a guy who was eyeing my recurve with suspicion while his latest model compound bow was being worked on in the bow press. I asked him how he liked it, to which he replied, "it's sure not like my dads old compound." A few more question revealed that this gentleman was one of thousands of hunters who have taken up modern archery equipment after attempting it in decades past and giving it up due to the challenges. Modern equipment has reduced the effort needed to have success and accuracy as well as increasing success rates. This has allowed young and old to enjoy time in the field that otherwise would have not been available to them. So, we see the benefits as more and more hunters are able and willing to enjoy archery seasons but what are the costs? I started bowhunting exclusively in the late 90's I started with modern equipment, after several years I took the plunge into traditional archery (longbows, recurves ect) and have been hunting with them for nearly ten years now. Gosh it was tough! I didn't harvest an animal for 2 years but it was like I had found bowhunting all over again! I hadn't...I had only joined in the challenge of generations past.

When I was growing up I was attracted to bowhunting because it was a challenge that most people didn't want to take...it's not that way any more. I remember watching my childhood hero, Michael Waddel take a whitetail at 35 yards and say, "that is near my maximum effective range." With modern equipment any hunter can pick up a modern compound or crossbow and drill tacks out to 40 yards easily. With a little practice and a range finder 50-60 yards shots are very reasonable.

How is this going to effect hunting opportunity (season dates and tag availability) long term? My fear is that archery seasons may go the way of muzzleloading seasons. What started as a primitive sport with a loyal enthusiast following and turned into an alternative method for more hunting days. I can remember when the muzzleloading season in Oklahoma was twice as long as it is now. Tell me if I am wrong but I think there really is a lot at stake. We risk loosing the lengthy seasons that our bowhunting fathers such as Fred Bear, Dr Saxton Pope, and Arthur Young fought for.

For instance: When Oklahoma legalized crossbows we increased "hunter opportunity." crossbows allowed young and old who could not or would not normally shoot a bow to enter archery season increasing hunter numbers and slightly increasing harvest ability. We have to understand that this comes at a cost of "hunting opportunity" Can you guys imagine how lengthy archery seasons would be if modern compounds and/or crossbows were not used? I'm not saying they shouldn't be legal, just making the point that increased efficiency through modernization of equipment limits hunting opportunity in the long run through greater hunter numbers and harvest rates.

If crossbows are legalized, what would the issue be with internally powered arrow guns? There are such on the market.

Modern equipment and crossbows have allowed thousands of hunters like Hannah (picture below) to have success such as this, her first buck at 15 yards at age 12. How precious! At the same time more and more modern equipment has the potential to reduce the number of days we can hunt, specifically in Western states where lengthy shots are the norm.

What are your thoughts?

23-Jun-15

MichaelArnette's embedded Photo

23-Jun-15

My Sister and I with a doe was taken during our Oklahoma gun season at 6 yards with a bow built in 1963. I wonder how many arrows it has sent sailing over the years.

23-Jun-15
To be honest i find it funny when guys say how hard bow hunting is . Todays gear is hitech with all the gadgets. Today a bow hunter has way longer seasons and liberal bag limits . Its sad the score is more imporant then the hunt ,, I get annoyed when guys first remark is what did it score .. This is were bow hunting is going the score clubs have tainted the sport ,, I was ohh so happy before i knew deer can be scored .

23-Jun-15
Excellent trophy photos! Congrats and many more trips afield! C

23-Jun-15
It's like the CO CDOW representative lectured us in a public meeting over season structure:

"Bow seasons were established for primitive weapons. You people aren't hunting with primitive weapons anymore. I see your videos and the yardage posted on your trophy photos. You're shooting out past 100 yards accurately. So tell me again why you need a month while the Muzzleloaders only have a week?"

OTOH, urban whitetails need to be controlled, and what better than a modern high-tech compound or crossbow to accomplish that humanely and effectively.

So I see both sides, but the short learning curve has resulted in many more bowhunters, which means more competition for limited tags. So by default, modern equipment has affected hunting opportunity wherever tags are limited.

23-Jun-15
I think you wrote a very reasoned and well-educated argument. I love bowhunting, and have never been more successful since my Matthews z7 in 2010 was procured. Everything you say about a modern compound is true - this bow might as well be a 40 yard rifle for me, and I don't even practice all that much. I am very confident with it...

Last year, I bought a slightly used Rampart 46# recurve - a thing of beauty. I really enjoyed shooting her, and thought I would be well equipped to hunt with it. Well a better job opportunity came up, and my practice time dwindled... I just never felt comfortable or confident enough to hunt with the wood, but had an awesome season with the training wheel bow...

I thought this year, I would re-commit myself to the recurve, but running the chainsaw in March as I always do, I triggered my first ever bout of wicked left elbow tendonitis (I am right handed). I can't shoot either bow at the moment, but am hoping to recover in time to shoot the Matthews... I am about to try - but the point is - when push comes to shove, I am going to go with whatever I am most confident in...

The big dilemma for me will be if it ever comes down to Compound vs. X-Bow... Hunt or don't hunt... (I cringe)

A sad dilemma for sure... I really want to master that recurve, and probably will, but it has to be right, and as a single parent, kid starting college, working my tail off to retire early and pay for college at same time, life has other priorities....

Well said - keep posting, it's good to see such well crafted thoughts from the younger generation...

23-Jun-15
Yea, that sounds about right. I have been hunting before the compounds came out, and before most states even had a muzzle loader season. I also switched to a compound when they hit the market. But when I got older I switched back to my recurve, and will not go back to wheels, I had forgot how simple hunting was before and love they way I hunt. But I don't think evry one should hunt my way, to each there own. But I hated giving up my hunting time to muzzleloaders. that was not fair, they should have takeing the season time from gun season. then I moved to South Carolina, and would you believe they don't care what you use, so I can bow hunt all season now. WMA seasons due vary though, and privet land is up to the land owner what they use. r-man

23-Jun-15
it took me years with my polar ltd and a savora to finlly collect on my first buck Nov 4th 1988 I wouldnt trade it ,, Esp my baker treestand .

23-Jun-15
Louis the fact that you survived a Baker treestand, makes you a lucky one... Noisy, dangerous, and famous for the death slide....

23-Jun-15
We built Baker climbers before there were readily-available commercial stands. Bought the plans from a magazine ad for $5. I'm a survivor of the death slide too. If those things were the only treestands available today, I'm betting there would be a lot fewer bowhunters, regardless of bow technology.....

23-Jun-15
Louis my first bow buck waaay back in 1984 was taken with a free 55lb Ben Pearson "Critter Getter", 2016 Easton arrows, and 145 grain rocky mtn 4 blade BH's... I could not possibly devise a worst penetrating combo if I tried.. BUT - after 2.5 months of hunting, a few misses, spooking a lot of deer, a beautiful 6pt (to me - it was 1.5 years old for sure) came by me at 20 yards and stopped broadside... I calmly drew, watched the arrow fly in slow motion (literally) and hit the deer right about where the heart is... It only penetrated about 5", and I watched the deer turn, take a step, with the full length of the arrow whipping all around, take one big death lunge and drop dead... WOW.. That might be the only case I can ever make for low penetration, because those 4 blades barely touched the heart and just tore it up into graffiti... Probably - out of all my bow kills, my first deer was the quickest death. Maybe 3 seconds? Now I strive for full pass throughs, and 15-20 seconds...

23-Jun-15
Great to hear old stories! Getting good penetration is easy with the right broadhead for your set up. I've shot traditional bows from 45-80 pounds and never had a non-pass-through (two holes that is) just have to use a more efficient head for lighter weight rigs.

23-Jun-15
The exact same thing about reduced seasons was said about compound bows when they first came out many years ago and guess what? It never happened. In fact, just the opposite happened.

If anything is going to reduce bow seasons it will be habitat degradation due to mismanagement of wildlife and plant communities in addition to loss of habitat.

I'm your classic Luddite. I don't use or know how to use most of the new gadgets that everyone thinks they must have. I came from an era where the highest honor anyone of the outdoor bent could have was to be considered a woodsman, along with the abilities that come with it, like reading sign, knowing the stars, reading the weather, knowing all the trees in the woods etc. .

I gave up my compounds a decade ago and returned to my stickbow roots because I found the new stuff boring quite frankly. As I get older I like SIMPLE!

But that said I think that whatever enhances the outdoor experience for you is a good thing. I actually like the idea of cameras on every other tree and am hoping for the day when the people who use them can check them right from the computer that they're reading this on right now. That means they will in the woods a whole lot less and I can have them all to myself!

Seriously, if it get's new hunters, especially young people, in the woods and they begin to see and appreciate a world away from a microchip then it's a good thing. All of the other issues aside, the thing that will hurt bowhunting...and ALL hunting for that matter...more than anything else is LACK of hunters!

23-Jun-15
Yes, whitetail seasons have lengthened due to swelling population numbers...not so in western states. Good discussion everyone.

23-Jun-15
Whitetail numbers are lower right now across the while country than anytime in the last two decades. It isn't due to technology. It is due to lack of knowledge. Their numbers were too high in most places. So, as knowledge of this dangerous occurrence has progressed so, has the effort to fix it. Extended rifle opportunity's are the result and the tool used. Mother nature has helped with disease, bad winters, etc... And as these variables took effect, so increases the thought that the technology is the cause.

As a forester that spends 300 or more days a year in the woods, in a lot of different areas, the affect the high numbers have had on the quality of habitat is quite sever in some areas. In a lot of instances, the habitat isn't capable of producing the booming numbers it did through the 80's and 90's. So, hunters blame the biologists for making bad decisions or, selling out the herd to other interests like insurance companies.

I know this seems off course from the opening post but, it really isn't. It's the reason for the concerns being expressed. Not compound or crossbows. Sure bow and user efficiency has increased as technology got better. But, bow hunting was in it's youth and growing right along with the herd and this technology. It isn't the end all nor a reason to think our season will be cut short. Other, more efficient, user friendly weapons has gotten the nod when the herd needs reduced to meet harvest goals. So, it seems to me if bow hunters were more efficient, there'd be more opportunity for more bow hunting. Instead of the opposite, as you suggest.

I hunt with longbows and recurves. I gave up my compound 6 years ago and went back to traditional type bows, due to not functioning well in hunting situations with all the gadgetry. It was simply to difficult a check list to complete at the moment of truth versus simply picking a spot and letting it fly. I see zero benefit of a modern compound or crossbow for my hunting. I shoot my traditional bows very well at ranges most think aren't logical or ethical. Yet, most of my kills have come below 30 yards. With any bow, including compounds. I think that theory holds true for most regardless of where they hunt. With a few exceptions, people adapt to become efficient with their weapon of choice. Guys who hunt out west are probably better long range shots than eastern hunters. Not because they shoot better equipment. Because they have to be, regardless of the weapon they choose. So, the technology is really not a factor.

Anyways, I understand where your thoughts come from. I simply disagree the bows of today or, crossbows offer any threat to shortening our bow season. And, if it gets more people in the woods, what isn't positive about that? BTW, a traditional bow is a short range weapon for most because that is the limit they set. It isn't the bow. It's the guy pulling it. Not the lack of technology. God Bless

23-Jun-15
To answer what I think is your question, no I am not too worried about it

23-Jun-15
Killed my first buck with a Bear Kodiak finger pinchin' Magnum. But I hunt now with a compound and have no desire for going back to trad gear.

First, although I practice a fair amount... I'm far more into hunting than shooting. Not even close, I like to kill stuff. I have trad friends who have NEVER killed anything with em, for YEARS. In some odd way I get the feeling they really don't want to, they're ok with a walk in the woods. Killin' stuff is when the hard work starts. That's fine, it's their hunt.

Never been much into classics or history or... tradition. Could care less how things used to be done, so I have no interest in that respect. And those that are good at trad shooting... good for them. But not everyone is endowed with the same skills. I was never very good at throwing a ball either, they made me a linebacker if that says anything. OK at golf, but no real talent for it like many I know. I get a bit better when I practice. But will never be the golfer many of my friends are. Just is what it is.

Although practice makes one better, some just have more natural talent at things than others. I don't believe I'd ever be real good at it like some. And no way am I going to restrict my hunting to inside 15 yards. (I know my shooting consistency at 20...) I like shooting stuff too much. I don't go for long walks carrying my bow. Are we taking about forcing someone to hunt the way they think you "should" hunt? Really?

If there is an "attack" on modern archery it will come from one or both of two sides. Trad guys wanting more for themselves.... or rifle guys wanting more for themselves. There is a fine line between healthy self interest and envy, jealousy and greed. It's one thing to expand ones opportunities, quite another to take them from someone else.

WRT game management the population objectives and harvest numbers are the primary goal, no matter how they are taken. In many cases I actually hear "the archery guys just aren't taking enough..." from the managers. Although you will never hear those words from a rifle hunter.

When I hear of guys complaining about 100 yard shots or the long range effectiveness of modern gear I have several replies for them. If it's a rifle guy I mention there was a time a 300 yard shot was a great rifle shot. Now you read routinely of 500, 700+ and even tv shows dedicated to that aim, so to speak. Are you going to restrict that? How? If a trad guy.... well, back in the day there were plenty of trad guys taking 100 yard shots as well.

Which brings in another reply. Although the gear gets better and better.. we haven't made folks smarter and smarter....

I'll fight tooth and nail to keep what we have NOW. I'll even fight to expand it if possible. But I see no reason to do anything differently than I do right now. I don't see how switching to trad (is that the point?) will "save" bowhunting. Not in any way shape or form.

More likely would harm it. We have these seasons and such precisely because of it's popularity, numbers and economic impact, not in spite of them.

24-Jun-15
I think increased kill rates and numbers in the field will result in shorter seasons. I would support longer traditional seasons for bows without wheels and muzzle loaders without scopes and sabots. I've never shot a traditional bow but extending a traditional season or allowing traditional only during ruts would be a great way to get people back to the roots of hunting. I'm not a traditional elitist but I would support a traditional season all day long.

24-Jun-15
Michael, you have not asked a single question that has not been asked for decades. Some hunters have always felt any advancement was going to reduce the bag limits or length of season. The headline culprit has always been the crossbow. Of course, it was preceded by the compound which was sure to ruin hunting.

So let me ask you two questions. First, can you name any state in which any archery technology has reduced the bag limit or the length of season. And second, how, in any way has any technological advancement directly impacted you.

In states where crossbows have been legal for years, absolutely nothing has happened. The sky has not fallen.No limit or season reductions due to crossbows.

What I would suggest is simply this. Worry about you. Just you. Worry about how you hunt, how well you shoot, how ethical are your shots. Enjoy your time in the woods. Let life be what it will be and forget all the things that were supposed to happen and never have. Believe me, subdivisions are going to impact your hunting long before archery technology does.

24-Jun-15
Same thing goes for all hunting equipment honestly. 150-200 yards used to be a long shot for a guy shooting iron sights and a rifle. Now 500 yards is easily obtainable with a good scope and a little practice. 80-100 yards used to be a long shot with a muzzle loader. Now there are muzzle loaders capable of shooting with rifle like precision out to 300 yards. 40 used to be a long shot with a bow. Now guys kill antelope beyond 100 yards. It will only get worse/better too. Technology will increase the accuracy and abilities of hunter, you can bet on it. This will eventually result in lower tags all across the board for every species. Not only that, more and more hunters are born every day. This will put more people in the field and make the tags harder to get. It's happening every year. It's sad yet good all at the same time. Without the numbers of hunters we would probably loose hunting rights all together. So yes it is unfortunate that it will end up this way, but it is what it is, and there is no stopping it. Just consider yourself lucky if you live in a state that allows multiple OTC tags per year, and don't live in a state that already has a draw. Eventually all states will result in one I'm sure.

24-Jun-15
I do not think technology will cause a shortening of seasons. The public will cry out and the politicians will crater and overrule the biologist. Just as they have in the past.

Biologically, there is no reason for favoring any weapon. It is simply addition of the factors of numbers killed, numbers wounded and stress placed on the resource.

Current archery seasons were set for the days of no camo, no commercial stands, stick bows, low participation and lower success.

Seasons should be drastically shortened but they will not be. The resources will continue to be pounded and quality hunting will continue to decline.

As TD says, all will fight tooth and nail to hold on to their piece of the pie and expand it where they can at the expense of others. The hunters who will sacrifice their piece for the good of the resource are about non existent. Certainly too few to make a difference.

24-Jun-15
I believe lack of access will be the death of hunting for most.

24-Jun-15
The biggest threat is and will be crossbows. Sure modern compounds are "easy" to shoot. But every crossbow I have tried, and that's been exactly 12 different models. I can be slapping bolts at 30 yards the FIRST time I shoot them if they are previously sighted. A crossbow for most is like a rifle, sight it and forget it until you go to hunt. At least with a compound you still have to focus on your shot sequence and draw it.

24-Jun-15
I think department will eventually shorten seasons. They'll have to. You can't have a season as long as it is without affecting populations. Kill %'s keep going up, it's the easiest way to protect the game.

Some states do it with draw a license, but that will not work in other states. I know in my state if anyone wanted to change the 9 day gun season, it would be open season on them. On the other hand if you wanted to shorten the compound season, you'd have all those gun hunters on your side.

My suggestion is that during the rut you have to hunt with a bow. No compounds, no crossbows. This makes sense whether you admit it or not. Most big bucks are killed during the end of Oct and beginning of Nov.

Bowmania

24-Jun-15
Come on September!

24-Jun-15
Just to be clear: I'm not proposing new season dates, or banning compound bows... just asking what others thoughts are on equipment and how it has changed the way they hunt. To the person who said they don't care about history:

"Never been much into classics or history or... tradition. Could care less how things used to be done, so I have no interest in that respect."

Do you have any idea how lucky we are for our rich bowhunting history? Most nations with hunting opportunities do not enjoy special bow seasons and in many places in European such as Norway, bows are not legal to hunt with. Why? Because they didn't have passionate men and women who lead the fight for primitive seasons and the principal of using weapon limitations to expand opportunity.

You have proved my fear that there is a serious disconnect with the principals that brought us to where we are.

And to all those who said that opportunity won't be effected...please do the math. Yes there have always been fears of doomsday from this or that change. But lets face it! Legal Archery equipment has never been easier to use, more efficient to kill with, or more popular as it is today and the trend isn't changing.

I'm not saying its a bad thing but it is the truth.

24-Jun-15
The focus on the delivery of the hunt, the method, the equipment, etc, is a measurable line. For some, it's paramount. On the other end of the spectrum, the hunt is something different than the method by which it is executed because people have a lot of reasons for hunting and of all those reasons, some are non-important, some are of minor importance, and for some are of major importance.

For many traditional archery equipment hunters, the method and the gear are very important. For most who bowhunt, even if they don't use trad gear, it's still important, otherwise, in many cases, they'd use a gun (unless they were just extending their season).

I understand it. I shoot a trad bow almost daily and almost exclusively for practice, and rarely shoot my compound, except when I'm hunting. I would like to kill an animal with my recurve and someday I will, but to me, meat, antlers, and confidence add up to make "success" for me mean that I am a compound hunter even though I'm a trad shooter.

I think a lot of folks who wonder about these things may have issues just putting themselves in other's shoes and understanding that there are different strokes for different folks and how that feels. I'm guilty myself. I have a hard time comprehending hunting big game with a rifle because it's not for me. But then I hunt with my friends and brother who use rifles and they sure do seem to enjoy their hunts.

The reason I say that, is because, as bowriter points out, we have no evidence from any state that modern equipment has done anything to significantly alter our seasons. I think it would have happened by now.

The fact remains, it still remains difficult to kill mature animals with a bow, even with modern archery equipment.

Sure, it may be easy to go into many high-density WT areas and kill does/young bucks, but for the majority of bowhunting, it's not "easy." No hunting is easy. Even rifle hunting is no sure thing.

Many of the outlooks, when it comes to this sort of thing, come from the overwhelming majority of WT hunters east of the Rockies. But that's only one species and it is, despite declines from 20-30 years ago, a super-abundant species across large areas. My first WT hunt was last year on public land in Nebraska. I've never seen so many deer in my life - more deer on a 6 day hunt than I'd seen in the previous 5 seasons out west.

You guys are swimming in deer. Your seasons are not in jeapordy. The system is in place and pretty well stable. There's been some pretty massive diseases rampage deer populations which have resulted in little more than cuts to antlerless tags and populations have bounced back or are bouncing back in short order.

The whole idea of bowhunting out west is completely different in almost every way than the world of WT hunting east of the Rockies. That may be your hunting world and the hunting world of most bowhunters, but it's also one piece of the big picture.

To the contrary, as the baby-boomers age, stop hunting, and die off, we're going to lose a huge segment of who "bowhunters" are and I worry about us actually being less relevant in 30 years. We'd have to be more relevant as a group to have our seasons shortened due to a greater impact on the herds.

24-Jun-15
Why another thread on how compound bows are not bowhunting? So you still have to draw a compound bow? Anyone who compares compounds to ml or crossbows are just trad elitests who obviously have nothing better to do. It's like everything on the news "oh I don't like it so instead of not using it I want it taken away". So please go shoot your bow, be happy with what you shoot, and quit bashing others for there choice. Oh I shoot a modern compound "gun" bow if y'all didn't catch that.

24-Jun-15
I have been through it all, shot a rabbit with a hickory bow in 1946, The first deer I shot at in 1959 and shot 3 arrows and missed,deer ran a little ways and I picked up the arrows and shot 3 more times missed Missed 3 more times. It was with am aluminum bow but I was hooked. Got a Bear Kodiak in 42# and killed tons of deer with it. It was so easy and that was before tree stands but everyday was like opening day We could hunt wherever we wanted there was no other bow hunters. To me back then the greatest invention was the lighted sight pin. It added a lot of prime time. Yes I got the first compound and it was good but 17% let-off was not real good but we used fingers and needed a large sight window. Now good hunting largely depends on your hunting grounds. Being mid seventies and bad shoulders I now have to use the dreaded X-Bow. It does enable me to hunt but don't be afraid of old cripples. Especially in the mountains. We cannot get to the best spots like when I was a few years younger, Anyway I seen it all and its still the hunter not the equipment. I was 100 times the hunter with my recurves as I am with a crossbow. Sad but if you see a 74 year old on public land in Co. Just say Hi,I wish I had my youth.

24-Jun-15
Jack, "way back in 1984 ?) Geez does that date me and my equipment! My first bow buck was in 1966! No compounds way back then !

24-Jun-15
What's hurting us the most is the split of bowhunters. Seems now adays, trad shooters think they need longer and superset seasons. A lot of guys have written and had signed letters sent to the Parks and Wildlife here in Colorado complaining of just that. Seems, in their eyes, because of their equipment choice, they need and deserve separate seasons. Seems because they can't shoot past twenty yards, they need longer seasons and better season dates. Yessir, ask the stick shooters in Durango, you'll find out why they think they are so special. And it's this attitude that is and will hurt our hunting seasons.

Why and how does modern technology really effect the future of bowhunting? If anything, modern technology has now helped introduce women and kids into our sport that would of never taken up shooting a bow without modern technology. I hunt with both compound and recurve, love killing animals with a stickbow, and I do get so tired of trad shooters and their "holier than thou" attitude against modern shooters. I hunt with and compete with a recurve, but yet my daughters never had an interest in shooting a stickbow. And it doesn't bother me that they love shooting their compounds and using modern technology. And yessir, it's the trad shooters that are always bringing up the "high success rate" of modern equipment users, but they never mention that amount that success rate is lots of kids and women. I always read about modern shooters killing whitetail at 60 yards from tree stands 30 feet high, but in truth, where I've hunted whitetail, you can't see 60 yards, and can't shoot past 30 yards. It's stuff like this that adds fuel to the fight and separates the two groups, modern shooters and trad shooters. Two weeks ago at a big 3D shoot, I listened for almost an hour about trad shooters complaining about modern equipment. It's getting really old...

24-Jun-15
+1 Bowriter

24-Jun-15
For the last time!!! I am not trying to put anyone down! This thread is hitting the gutter quickly. If you feel guilty about your equipment then maybe there is a reason but don't blame me. Bowriter-Pick up a 1990 model compound and hunt with it this year...lets see how your success is? How about 1980? And Buglmin-The limitations for longer seasons was the reasoning behind bow seasons in the first place. What do you think gun hunters were saying when we asked for separate and longer seasons? My first and last deer taken with a gun was at 5 yards...it's still more effective.

24-Jun-15
"You have proved my fear that there is a serious disconnect with the principals that brought us to where we are."

Got me there. Never been accused of being connected for sure. Not usually mentioned in the same sentence as principles either I guess. But I've been around the track a few times, that first archery buck I killed was in '71 or '72 if I recall. When you get a bit older you will find that history isn't near as "rich" as you thought when it went up on that pedestal.

I don't bowhunt for any "rich history". Sorry. If you want to go get dressed in buckskins or a loincloth even and go hunt.... have at it. Some like to pretend on weekends they are Jeremiah Johnson or Louis and Clark, whole events to the theme. Go, have fun. Me? I'm going huntin'....

I hunt for me and my reasons. Not to be connected with history or family or friends or anything but me and the game I'm after. I put down the rifle because it had lost it's thrill, the excitement and adrenalin. Remote control, like shooting tin cans. Hadn't missed a rifle shot on big game in so long I can't recall.

Picked up the bow to get that back, haven't shot anything with a rifle but an eradication hunt or two for close to 30 years. Until I get jaded about killing game with a compound I see no reason to pick up a trad bow. None. We must hunt different stuff in different ways, or maybe I have no talent for it. My hunts are far from too easy for me. Very last thing I'm doing is looking for a way to make them harder.

If a person wants to increase his challenge, go for it, knock yourself out. But they have NO right to make that call for someone else. And not allowed to whine about how it's too easy for everyone else.

That's the great thing about it all.... you chose your gear, your hunt, the very shot itself, nobody else. The beauty is in the eyes of the bow-holder....

24-Jun-15
Quote: That's the great thing about it all.... you chose your gear, your hunt, the very shot itself, nobody else. The beauty is in the eyes of the bow-holder....

Well said, no person should be shamed for a legal harvest and I won't go there. It's not healthy for our sport. I've heard many gun hunters make that accusation about bowhunters regardless of the equipment.

For instance: I think any high powered rifle hunter should be able to be proud of his trophy but that doesn't mean his equipment isn't far less challenging then a flintlock for instance. Why do they have different seasons? Well...

24-Jun-15

ahunter55's embedded Photo
ahunter55's embedded Photo
agree with Bowriter & I've been in organized archery since 1956. I remember the big split with NFAA Pros back in 1968 when the releases made the big change at Cobo Hall Pro/Am (PSE & Pete Shepleys shooters)& was going to ruin archery/bowhunting for everyone. Compounds they said the same with their great maybe 20% let off.. I shot longbows & recurves for 20 years b/4 compounds & then switched to Compounds in the mid 70s And owned shop/lanes then. I see it this way, granted, the compound & accessories of today HELP make better shooters (usually)sooner with much less practice than in those longbow/recurve days.(SOME, a small % will NEVER achieve any reasonable accuracy no matter what weapon they use). 1-For the number of Bowhunters today, the % of success isn't that much greater 2-Deer numbers are WAAYYYY more than our early & 1st Deer Seasons. We had NO bonus tags in those days, 1 either sex & DONE. I had a great journey with Longbows & recurves killing 38 biggame animals in the 20 years and even some perfect: scores on targets in competition b/4 switching to compound. I can stay accurate with much less practice & all my trinkets & my kill list has surpassed my longbow mainly due to double the time I've used it BUT, it still takes "you" to hit the mark. I just recently purchased a 50# Longbow & made me up 2 Dz. wood arrows. Yep, I'm going to give the old way a shot again AND I even registered to shoot the NFAA Nationals in July with it (I have faith that I will have a great time, regardless of my score). Do what you feel you will "enjoy" & let the others "worry".

24-Jun-15
Very interesting. Just an observation, but what may be the most interesting is the defense of compounds, in response to the traditional guys, when some of the same guys are the first to bash a crossbow - not all but some. And personally, I think that the trad guys have more to complain about concerning compound bow, than do the compound shooters do to the crossbow.

To more directly address the OP question, I don't really think that we will see a severe alteration of season structure due to advancement of equipment technology. As has been mentioned, it will most likely be from loss of habitat or from lack of hunting interest. Or it may be from loss of access.

As far as bowhunters shooting up to 100 yards, well I have to share, as a young hunter, who was consumed with bowhunting and hunting in general from a very young age, it was absolutely amazing to me to see a western bowhunters set up around 1985. I was used to using one or two pins, set at 15, or 10 and 20, but while visiting my dad who lived in Colorado, a guy came into his taxidermy shop and had a bow with about eight or ten pins. He had pins set up at out to 100 yards. So this extra long shooting for most any weapon may be more widespread nowadays, it has always been around. From what I understand, Fred Bear shot a lot of animals in excess of 70 yards. So though technology has brought the masses to a greater level of accuracy and consistency at ever increasing distances, for those who were driven to get all they could out of their equipment and their abilities, we are not all that far ahead today.

24-Jun-15
Michael, open invitation to come to WV rifle hunting with me this year. You cover your license and travel, I'll cover your room, board, transportation, etc... Bring your gear and we'll do it. I'm serious too

I promise, that killing a whitetail deer with a rifle in the mountains thick with laurel, dense with tree stems per acre, on steep slopes is as difficult as any bow shot that can be made. When the deer are moving quickly, which most will be, almost impossible. Rifle hunting isn't always easy. Nor is bow hunting, regardless of equipment. Trying to generalize all hunting done with something other than a trad bow as being easier is absurd from your roost in Oklahoma

Relax. Do as TD and bo-writer said and enjoy your hunting. Allow others to do the same. And you are welcome to come and see for yourself why your assumptions are incorrect. God Bless

24-Jun-15
+2 for bowriter. That has always been my biggest setback for hunting. That, and the econominc devastation that the building industry has suffered for the past 7 years. When your struggling to make basic ends meet taking hunting trips many times is out of the question.

25-Jun-15
Michael, per bowriter's post,we plowed this field before you were born. Many of us remember the furor when the first compounds came on the market. We've had the trad zealots dividing and embarrassing all bowhunters by demanding longer trad-only seasons. Technologists try to push the engineering and the performance thresholds with better accuracy at longer ranges.

Bowhunting is what YOU make it, irrespective of weapon. The perception of non-bowhunters does matter, as I mentioned in my first post. So does the perception by many that trad hunters wound a lot of game when they (we) do manage to hit something. Honestly, if only trad bows were allowed we might not have enough of a lobby to influence decision-makers. We may be lumped together with MLs in one season as some in the CO CPW would like.

I'm not sure what disconnect you're talking about. If you study the history of bowhunting, read the stories and watch the old films, you'll discover that their desire, at the core, was to hunt and kill stuff with bows and arrows. They embraced the technology of the day to do that.

Just like bowhunters do today.

25-Jun-15
I have used primitive and modern equipment throught my career. They are both hand drawn, distance and efficiency are the responsibility of the archer. If you have hunted long enough you will have many successes and failures irregardless of either weapon. If anyone claims to be a hundred percent your full of BS. Being young and healthy I can honestly say I am not a strong supporter of the crossgun. However when my body goes or my health deteriorates I will be mighty glad that crossguns are allowed in the archery seasons. Enjoy every moment you have in the field do what makes you happy, just hunt fair chase!!

25-Jun-15
Bowriter nailed it. I remember reading a very similar thread to this in 1998 or thereabouts, predicting the demise of bowhunting as we know it due to improved technology. And then again in 1999, and 2000, and 2001...

Compounds, high letoff, mechanical broadheads and releases - they were going to ruin bowhunting.

And yet almost 20 years later almost nothing has changed. That's the best response I can give the OP. The 17+ guys ahead of you with the same opinion were equally as wrong.

25-Jun-15
Listen to Jaq... he's a strong part of both worlds, but not really belonging to either, a bowhunting ghost living between them....

"He had always lived in the borderland anyway, somewhere between this (high tech) world and the Other (trad)".... One Stab. Legends of the Fall (gosh... I love that movie... "Schrew Em! Schrew the govmnt!" )

There is a powerful lobby in numbers. As well as economics. Voices, votes and money. To fractionalize and divide us down into yet smaller niches and corners is a wet dream for many of our enemy. Those who really do actively lobby for our removal, trad, wheels, x-gun and rifle alike.

25-Jun-15
Michael i agree but many dont like the truth . bow hunting due to gear has gotten a lot easier to make a kill. I have noticed how so many hunters make this bow hunting a lot harder then it is !! I agree many rifle hunts would be a lot tougher then bow hunts this is due to Bow hunters having the best rut dates.

TD diff intrest hunting groups will never get on the same page human nature.

25-Jun-15
WV Mountaineer, I'll take your offer as long as you will except my open invitation to make it out to Oklahoma for some bowhunting with me. You can use any legal equipment you like and I promise it will be a good time. I've always wanted to hunt in the Appalachians and would think it would be some of the hardest whitetail hunting around with low population densities and swirling winds that's tuff with any weapon.

25-Jun-15
IMVHO, I think 40 yards for the average bowhunter out there is still a long shot, even with modern compounds. Guys on this site might be better, but I would bet the effective range of the average bowhunter hasn't changed a heck of a lot in the last 25 years. If you are willing to put in the time, yes, they are more efficient killing machines. But most guys don't put in the time. To be honest, 40 yards in the woods looks like a mile to me. But I want the animal within 20 yards and set up accordingly. I still say the bow I shot most accurately was my old PSE Pulsar with plastic round wheels back in 1987.

25-Jun-15
Bowhunting success rates were 16.5% in MN in 1994 peaked in 2004 at 29% and in 2013 and 2014 they were between 14 and 15.5%. I know that success rates probably track game populations, but bows are still a short range weapon. I honestly believe that the handheld release probably impacts efficiency more than advancements in compounds and they've been around for a long time.

25-Jun-15
Cityhunter, are you switching to a longbow or a recurve? I'd suggest a longbow since its much more difficult to master the consistency and accuracy.

You've had great success with the compound. A longbow will help even out the odds.. :-)

25-Jun-15

25-Jun-15
I have a Bear Kodiak Magnum. I enjoy shooting it, and several years ago, I decided I wanted to shoot a deer with it. So I practiced a lot and took it to the woods. After a few hunts, I shot a doe. I made a perfect shot and she went about fifty yards before expiring. And though it was nostalgic, and enjoyable, I really felt no different after it was all over, than had I completed the task with a crossbow, or even a rifle. Now, had I shot a monster buck with the recurve, I would have probably felt differently about my achievement.

So that fact, coupled with the fact that prior to making a perfect shot, I missed a couple of deer, and got to thinking, what if I had made a poor shot on one of those deer, and all for the sake of being able to say I had killed a deer with a truly primitive weapon. Personally, it is my responsibility to make the quickest and most humane kill on any game I go after. For that reason, I use what tools are available to achieve that goal with the most consistency possible.

25-Jun-15
Michael; You are wise beyond your age.

25-Jun-15
Jaq. and I and others have have seen this same "debate" many times in our bowhunting lives. And Michael, I can do the math, in fact the math decries by 180-degrees what you say. In numbers, both the number of bowhunters and the total kill of animals is not climbing to stratospehric heights. I ask you to do the math. Are there significanly more bowhunters nationwide that 10-years ago? Are we significantly killing more animals nationwide? Do the math.

Here is some math that should concern us. Each year, we lose more ground. More areas are closed to hunting. More land is developed and taken out of wildlife habitat. federal lands are being closed at an alarming rate.

It is not technology that threatens bowhunting. It is development. If there were only one, universal season-choose any equiopment you want-bow, rifle, black powder-it would not matter other than financially. What matters is how many more acres we lose each year.

It does not matter one whit, how accurately or how far you can shoot. It does not matter one bit how experienced or inexperienced a hunter may be. What equipment he has in his hand counts for not one thing. That is all a personal issue. I for example, do not care one single bit how you kill a deer or how many you kill. It does not affect me one bit. Nor should how I hunt or what I use bother you.

When one of my farms becomes a subdivision, now that, is a concern.

25-Jun-15
I love everything about Trad. The simplicity, beauty of the bows, the 'traditional' aspect and to me just overall appeal. Do I think it's a bad thing that with modern equipment, we are much more efficient? Heck no. I love it. I hunt with both and on the flip side of the common discussion, sometimes when I'm sitting with stick and string, I've felt guilty and selfish that I've got a more efficient weapon at home on a hook while I'm pursuing my traditional goals.

25-Jun-15
When overdraw bows firast hit the market, I was running a guide business. I would not allow them in camp. The same happened when mechanical heads came out. The early ones, were terrible.

The overdraws went away and the mechanicals improved to the point, I now use them and have for about five years. I have failed to recover one deer and that was not due to the head. I might not use them for elk or larger game but for deer, a quality mechanical is fine.

The point being, many hunters of my age or near it, have seen a ton of things come along that were going to destroy hunting. Not a one of them did.

What we have to realize and accept is, it is not what you have in your hand, but what you have in your heart that makes you a hunter. If you prefer traditional equipment, fine. I am happy for you. If you shoot a crossbow, great, enjoy the hunt. No single person is going to ruin hunting for me.

25-Jun-15
Well put. But I wasn't saying that any of these mechanical advantages would destroy hunting...just change. One good thing is a reduction in the number of wounded deer I suspect (no hard data) have a bow that shoots so well and is able to drive a 2" wide swath through game is a great way to kill humanely.

25-Jun-15
Well put indeed. And just for the record Michael, I did not see your opening post as being accusitory or argumentative. More of a questioning nature. I was, however, terribly offended at the mention of Michael Waddell being your hero, boyhood or otherwise.:)

25-Jun-15
A fitting video message for this thread...

25-Jun-15
That's a great film!

25-Jun-15
I have attempted to keep emotion and my personal preferences out of this reply. In order to cleanly kill animal( our stated goal) we must get the animal within the effective range of us with our equipment. In doing so we must fool the eyes ears and noses of our quarry. We must identify the animal and determine if it is legal and desired by us. We then have to execute a shot into the vitals and conduct ourselves properly after the shot. This is a pretty good list no mater the choice of equipment. Some equipment makes it easier no question in my mind. In my view everyone who values the animals we hunt and plays by personal and game laws helps us all as hunters. We have much more to fear from people failing to see value of wild animals than any choice of hunting equipment.

25-Jun-15
Consider it done. When I get back on Monday, I'll pm you and we can get particulars exchanged. God Bless

26-Jun-15
Not much hunting going on right now for sure. This has to be the thread with the longest individual posts ever. Man you guys are typing away.

Good discussion though.

26-Jun-15
As you have pointed out while the high tech advancements have the benefit of attracting more participants...at what cost? In the east where whitetails are often thought of as a nuisance animal the increased number of bowhunters and increased success rates do not tend to be an issue. The same cannot be said out west where the number of game animals is often limited and increased success rates for bowhunters and increased numbers may be more than the resource can bear. It also leads to comments from other hunter groups, as others have noted, that the long seasons that bowhunters enjoy may be difficult to justify when the success rates and the equipment used by the average bowhunter is so different from what was used when archery-only seasons were first established. We can expect a lot of backlash when bowhunters talk about having 100 yard weapons.

26-Jun-15
Nick nice film but no talk of xboxs im sad

26-Jun-15
If you think the increased success rates of crossbows allowed in the archery season won't change the amount of time you can spend in the woods with a hand held bow take a look at recent WI harvest data. They did it right asked for separate lisc. The crossbow harvest significantly increased the overall harvest with a much higher rate of success than hand held bows... Yes the crossbow is a 100 yd + superior weapon.

26-Jun-15
Tonybear61,spot on; the door is open and no coming back.

26-Jun-15

TD's Link
It has always been my impression or belief... the number of bowhunters, their success rate and overall take is normally a small fraction of rifle numbers. Much higher number of hunters, higher success rate, much higher harvest numbers overall.

In the wildlife management end of things.... my impression is bowhunters are almost an afterthought.

So a quick google and a quick look at CO 2014 elk stats to get a bit of a feel for it? All numbers are off the harvest report.

All rifle hunts. 161,076 hunters took 33,181 elk for a success rate of 21%. 766,059 days in the field.

All archery hunts. 44,536 hunters took 6,434 elk for a 14% success rate. 328,680 days in the field.

Don't have my calculator out, you guys are good with stats, correct me if I'm wrong with my top of my head figures. The top of my head isn't what it used to be....

Even given a longer season, there are far fewer bowhunters. (offhand a bit over 1/4 the hunters?), a good bit lower success rate (rifle is 50% higher?), far far fewer elk harvested (5 times more with rifle?) And it took I believe about 50% more days in the field per hunter for bowhunters to get to THOSE numbers.

Where exactly are we too successful again? Where is it our numbers are getting too great? We're a fraction. Far lower success rates even given more time, but apparently some still think they are too high. Really?

The only issue I see is folks that have already, want more.... of ours.... even though they are both free to and quite welcome to join us.

27-Jun-15

TD's Link
Sorry, link didn't work to pull up the PDF.

If this one doesn't try a cut'n paste...

http://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Hunting/BigGame/Statistics/Elk/2014StatewideElkHarvest.pdf

27-Jun-15
Tony i just got my 2015 Cabelas ARCHERY catolog over 13 pages of xbows for sale !!!

27-Jun-15
Midwest - thanks for sharing that video... Excellent.

27-Jun-15
Midwest: He gave a great presentation at the P&Y gathering! His message is spot on! C

The real problem going forward is lack of new hunters. The best thing we can do is help youth get into the outdoors!

27-Jun-15
For the 2014-2015 Ohio deer season ending 2-2-15:

There were a total of 175,700 deer killed by all weapons.

Archery hunters killed 82,200 of those deer or 47% of the total harvest.

The archery buck harvest went UP for '14/'15 while every other category of harvest numbers went down.

Crossbow harvests have out-paced regular archery kills for a number of years...I believe around 60% of the archery harvest in Ohio is done by crossbows now.

Even though Ohio deer numbers are approaching the target numbers set by the ODNR (and the ODNR wants to decrease the overall statewide harvest) they are expanding opportunities for firearms hunters. An example of this is the legalization of several straight-walled centerfire handgun/rifle cartridges for use in the firearms season. Anyone wonder why Ohio would try to recruit additional firearms interest while simultaneously cutting back on the deer harvest?

Are the tech advancements in archery (past 40 years or so) and increasing success/harvest rates (Ohio) having the unintended consequence of pushing interest away from firearms here? I don't have the answers, but the questions remain.

27-Jun-15
Well put!

28-Jun-15
Equipment is much less of the threat to ''any'' type of hunting than many other things without our voice!

Hunter #s are falling sharply w/ the younger generation and the PC agenda movement is reaching them quickly. IMO, we need ''any and everything'' that makes this countries youth to continue this activity for it to survive.

28-Jun-15
IF you hike 100 yards from your atv, climb up and watch a corn pile, crossbows work good. If you hunt in an area or place the involves physical activity, crossbows aren't for you. And you will see that.

Crossbows are their own limiting factor. Boredom, physical limitations of carrying them, etc... will revert some people back to the "bow". People say 100 yard weapon. Are you on drugs? Maybe. Or, just worried about the other guy versus getting your experience right.

I don't like them or the idea. But, I like the idea of getting more representation. Which we all agree is necessary. What I find more dramatic and ironic is men who are carrying a weapon that is every bit as efficient and deadly, moaning about it. They are't the end all. They have been around almost as long as the longbow. Which makes them much more primitive than the compound. They aren't going to shorten seasons or end bowhunting as we know it. And their effect on hunting will have a far smaller influence than the modern compound. Which is absolutely boggles my mid when I hear a modern compound hunter complain about them after realizing that a good bit of those same people, would ever be in the woods bowhunting if not for the Compound bow.

Men, go hunt. Introduce someone new this year versus spending $20,000 and all your time on your yearly excursions. Remember, if someone hadn't sacrificed their time and money for you, you'd likely not be here right now on this forum. That's our problem. Not crossbows. If we would have all spent 3 years doing that every decade, Crossbows would have never been considered. If you are that concerned, do something to fix it instead of whine about it.

28-Jun-15
WV the guys buying Xbows are rifle hunters who want to hunt during prime archery dates i dont blame them we bow guys have the best seasons . Xbows will not increase new hunters it will increase hunters in archery type hunts .. If u notice the move into archery season buy the xbows is strong and wont be stopped!

Hunters need to get on the same page! Stop drawing lines in the sand ! But we are so divided it will never happen .

29-Jun-15
I read this morning before work from a North American hunting club booklet written in 1999 by Rob Bobb at a time when modern equipment was taking its largest steps towards efficiency. The book says nothing about crossbows as they were not legal at this time. Quote: " and pay your dues you must. I've stressed before that with shooting a bow there are no shortcuts, no free lunches, no easy ways out. You must learn the proper way to shoot your bow, and you must spend time on the practice range honing your skills and tweaking your equipment to make sure the two of you work in close harmony. It isn't like firearms hunting, where you can spend an hour on the rifle range before opening day making sure you're making sure your gun is sighted in and then easily make the shot when the time comes."

...hmm. Crossbows have changed that.

29-Jun-15
So if you are not able to draw a bow (compound or not) and shoot it accurately due to physical inability I invite you too join our crowd with a crossgun and use it to the best of your ability. However, if you are not willing to pay your dues as a bowhunter and at least take the time to learn to shoot a bow. Don't expect to call yourself a bowhunter or expect the same season dates as those who have invested the time to use archery equipment. Next time you are finding a good "rest" for your crossbow gun stock, peeking through your 4x scope, pulling a trigger, and shooting a bolt.... Laugh at yourself when you don't take a picture with your equipment because you bashful about hunting in seasons that real bow hunters payed the price for. Better yet, join our ranks...learn how to tune an arrow, draw a bow unseen by nervous eyes, and enjoy the result of your labors in a season that is appointed for your systems limitations.

29-Jun-15
overpopulation will ruin all hunting sooner or later.

29-Jun-15
"Anyone wonder why Ohio would try to recruit additional firearms interest while simultaneously cutting back on the deer harvest?"

I would bet anything it's about more money. Just as legalizing crossbows was here in WI. Sure they used the guise of increased hunter recruitment. But it was really about money.

29-Jun-15
I know Lou. That's the problem. No new hunters coming in because we as hunters, are too busy taking the yearly dream hunt, buying the lifetime property to lock out others, etc... versus finding some kids, a tent and camping gear, and introducing more potential hunters to this great past time and way of life.

I get it. I really do. I also get the fact that a hunter could buy 1(ONE) crossbow and, let multiple kids use it, while introducing them to the outdoors. Seems like a win-win to me. If gun hunters that don't bow hunt come over and join our ranks by using the crossbow, it seems to me that it will solidify the better seasons and the longer dates by having their support. I simply see no negative to them being involved in bow seasons. And, I don't fret at night that my neighbor who might choose one, will kill the 3.5 year old buck I have been watching. If he does, I'll pat him on the back. That's just me. And, I'm fine with it. God Bless

29-Jun-15

Cottonwood88's embedded Photo
WV mountaineer, I would be all over allowing crossguns for minors! It's great for them. In fact, She was in one of my best spots when she got this guy and I am proud of her! Her dad got to be there the whole time too!

29-Jun-15
RutNut, good point. Money is the factor which drives many of the regulations we know.

In the case of Ohio and the legalization of new firearms, I think there's something else at work. I think Ohio is paying attention to the steadily increasing archery kill/percentages in comparison to firearms. We are currently only 3% away from having all archery kills equal all firearms kills...shotgun, muzzle-loaders, handguns and the new centerfire rifle calibers included. That's an astounding occurrence, and it's absolutely driven by a combination of advanced archery technology plus the desire to kill big bucks...in the rut of course. When looked at objectively, the crossbow is now the FACE of Ohio's archery hunters, regularly killing more deer than all other bow types combined. The crossbow and modern compound (along with related technologies and knowledge of deer behavior/hunting strategies) has accounted for an unprecedented rise in participation and/or success rates of archery hunters. It's to the point that people are achieving their goals with archery weapons and not needing to use firearms...or wanting to.

Enter the strategy of adding in new firearms which will hopefully drive up interest in firearms hunting for deer in Ohio. If the current trend of hunters choosing modern archery weapons and seasons over firearms continues, there may be cause to shorten deer archery seasons or lengthen the gun season, mainly to control the number of deer (especially mature bucks) taken during the rut.

Trying to recruit firearms use instead of archery? In some ways it does look like the chickens might be coming home to roost. I guess only more time will tell for Ohio.

29-Jun-15
Would love to see how much more efficient compound bowhunters are now compared to 20 years ago. I bet it isn't by much.

29-Jun-15
Ohio probably has the highest number of crossbow hunters of any state. I believe theyhave more than they do compound shooters. That of course, accounts for the high percentage of kills. As a general rule, the success rate is no higher for crossbows than for compounds. But there is more to the story.

First, in Ohio, crossbows have been legal during the regular achery season for many years. However, due to crossbows, not one day has been cut from the hunting season and not one reduction in bag limits can be attributed to the crossbow. In fact, in some areas both increased. Oddly enough, as of a few years ago, there had been more accidents with traditional equipment than with crossbows.

As of two years ago, in no state had there been a reduction of hunting days or bag limits due to the inclusion of crossbows. I could find not one instance of that.

In most states, when crossbows are first included in the regular season, there is an increase in the number of archery license sales. Then, when hunters discover they are no more accurate than a compound and can shoot no further and are a pain in the tocus to pack around, the number drops to near the level when crossbows were first included. An increase of about 3-4% is about normal.

It does not matter what your oppinion of the crossbow is. State agencies and officials do not care. It is not their job to care. They are charged with managing wildlife and producing revenue. The crossbow is an aid in both. Therefore, opponents can rail and wring their hands and piss and moan all they want. It will do no good and if you just take a deep breath and click your heels, it might occur to you, crossbows are not affecting you in the least. Only the rumors are.

Now, let me say this. Many years ago, when crossbows were first considered for inclusion here, I testified before our commission in strong opposition to them. I was as opposed to crossbows as anyone could be. So I have been on both sides of the fence. Then, I did something really stupid. I got factual information and actually went and shot one of the devil's spawn. Boy! Did that ever make me feel stupid. Almost as stupid as I felt when I was opposed to school integration and found out I had been going to an integrated school for two years.

Gentlemen and ladies, the freakin sky is not going to fall. Try getting some factual information from state agencies, not other bowhunters. I must also admit, I have not kept up with anything that has happened in the last two years. So, it may be all hunting west of Slippery Rock, PA is closed. However, I doubt it is due to the crossbow.

29-Jun-15
Bowriter, you aren't really answering my question. I didn't ask if seasons had changed I asked if they would in the future. Please tell me how both success rates and "bowhunter" numbers can rise progressively without effecting the herd? Just tell me how it won't effect things. Higher success rates =more kills per day in the field More hunters attracted = more kills per day in the field

Please tell me how the math isn't adding up Of course this effects public land much more than private

29-Jun-15
How about the thought that success rates are at their highest points due to much larger game populations over much of the country, and for most game animals. Another reason for increased success rates are due to the knowledge base being at it's highest point in history. As hunters, we know more about the game we hunt than most, not all, but most, hunters in the past. That isn't to say that a select few had this knowledge, and understood game animal personalities and mannerisms, but now, instead of 1 out of 10 having this knowledge, probably 7 out of 10 is an accurate modern day number.

That is my take on why success rates have grown. Now, at this point in many places, just as has been mentioned, the success rates are beating back populations at the states goal populations. When that happens, success rates will drop, and then it will most likely be cyclic. So, I don't think new technology will greatly impact seasons. As I mentioned in an earlier post, other factors will impact seasons to a higher degree than will new technology. Another factor that I may not have mentioned, is hunter numbers.

Actually, everyone keeps saying that we need hunter recruitment, so maybe my area is an anomaly, but there seem to be too many hunters around here, and that abundance of hunters range from 8 year olds, to the elderly. I actually cringe every time that I hear someone say we need hunter recruitment. Yes, I will agree, I enjoy introducing someone new to hunting, but I do not think that we need more numbers, unless I have several hundred prime acres locked up that I can control access. As an example, our turkey hunting has went from being some of the best in the country, to being as tough as anywhere, and this is due to hunters hunting turkey that never hunted turkey 10, or even just a few years ago.

29-Jun-15
The thing with crossbows is the technology can and will advance. With real bows there's a certain limit as you have to draw, hold, and release. Even with high let off compounds it's still "human powered".

30-Jun-15
I think many of the issues are regional in nature and so the answers and responses are going to vary a great deal with regions and species in general....

i.e. haven't read too many comments about compound technology's effect on desert sheep tags.. much less crossbows.....

Unless your just a selfish greedy bugger and are trying to swing a way to get more stuff all to yourself..... heheheh...

30-Jun-15
Well that's what has made bowhunting and crossbow hunting so popular hehehe

30-Jun-15
Restricting archery hunting season to hand-held, hand-released bows is no more restrictive and draconian than making select trout waters fly-only or artificial lures only. Hey, what about the kid or old timer who only has a cane pole and can of worms? Why are we discriminating against their desire to catch a fish in those restricted waters. We need more fishermen!

30-Jun-15
I believe that hunting shows on television will have more effect on my hunting seasons than any other modern equipment. In every discussion about seasons I hear that the bowhunters shoot all the biggest bucks and all the biggest bulls. People watch 8 minutes of a television show and 22 minutes of commercials and believe that bowhunting is easy. They don't see the hours spent practicing, scouting and preparing for a hunt. All they see is an animal coming into a setup, a shot and a trophy. Nobody sees the failed setup, the arrow that deflected off a branch and sailed into no mans land or the days or weeks leading up to the shot. 95% of the time they are watching people who have made television shows their lively hood. If they could follow in my footsteps for an entire season, the season may well get extended by a few more months!

30-Jun-15
I think writer or someone else said it well. Nothing has changed a season and nothing likely will. There are a million (maybe a billion reasons why). Revenue.

Also, attached are annual license sales (all hunting). While it appears to be in decline the truth is it all has to do with a very large aging group in Boomers. GenX'ers are a much smaller group.

Millenials will eventually create a spike again especially with their "farm-to-table" mentality. Most see hunting in a positive light compared to my generation GenX.

Anyway, hunting will never be for everyone and always be for the 5% of Americans who love the great outdoors.

30-Jun-15
Cottonwood-Todd T answered your question. Bowhunter numbers and kill rates combined increase has not kept pace with the number of animals. Loss of habitat or disease might contribute to lowering of seasons or bag limits but technology will not. I suspect this would be true even if hunters had one season and their choice of equipment. In other words, the season for example, is 90-days long and you can hunt with rifle, bow,black powder etc. you choose. The limit is x-number bucks and x-number does. That has actually been discussed.

In my state, during the long rifle season, that is the way it is and has been for years. Biologically, our deer herd is quite sound and there has been no reduction due to decline in herd numbers.

Once the herd, either statewide or by region has been ecologically and biologically established with numbers in place. There is little in terms of hunting to adversely effect it. That is pretty well guarded against in the setting of limits to begin with. That is what sound management does.

30-Jun-15
Ollie, I totally agree with your logic. I manage a big private trout fishery in the mountains (two big lakes, six ponds, five miles of stream). When we converted the wild trout streams to fly-lure, catch and release ten years ago, we got loud howls of protest from those folks who believe anything should go, regardless of the impact on the ecosystem.

We just voted to turn one of our ponds into the same, in order to develop a large-trout fishery. Howls again. One Board member yelled, "What about the kids and seniors??!" Another Board member replied, "What, kids and seniors can't fish with lures and release fish?"

No matter what we do in the outdoors, those who don't have what others have want their piece of the pie. We hear the rifle and ML hunters in the public meetings demanding part of our CO archery season because "It just isn't fair!!"

30-Jun-15
At 44, I believe to preserve hunting, we should divert our attention from the minutia of choice with which we are blessed and tend to more pressing issues of national integrity.

30-Jun-15
I have to laugh when gun hunters complain about bowhunters getting more days. Here in WI during the 9 day gun season, there is a huge drop off in hunters out after the first 2 days. It never used to be that way, but the last 15 years or so the gun hunters really only hit it opening weekend. If they aren't using all the days made available to them now, why bitch about getting more. Most gun only hunters are 3 day a year in the woods type guys. IMO we don't need people like that. So I don't really want to see those clowns tromping around the woods during bow season if they take up a crossbow.

We don't need to add numbers just for the sake of adding numbers. We need to add QUALITY hunters to our ranks. If you are the type that agrees with everything just to add numbers, you must be a Liberal.

30-Jun-15
Very true

30-Jun-15

Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
Kevin Dill's embedded Photo
Here's a graph taken from the ODNR website which clearly demonstrates what's happening with Ohio deer harvest percentages. Muzzle-loader kills are not included.

30-Jun-15
Ohio's deer herd had risen to above 800,000 several years ago and the state has been implementing regulations designed to reduce the overall statewide numbers (which I basically support). By 2012 - 2013 the statewide numbers had decreased significantly as indicated by reduced hunter-deer sightings, lower harvest figures, lower highway crashes with deer, and several other markers. Take a look at the following harvest info taken from the ODNR website for the hunting seasons 2012 and 2013:

The overall (all hunters/all weapons) success rate declined by 8.1% from 2012 to 2013.

There was a 14.4% average decrease by county in the gun season harvest. (# deer killed)

There was a 2.07% average decrease by county in the vertical bow harvest. (# deer killed)

There was a 5.54% average increase by county in the crossbow harvest. (# deer killed)

Again, the overall decline in harvest numbers is explained by a reduction in available deer to hunt. What's remarkable is that even in the face of declining deer numbers and a much reduced overall harvest stat, three things stand out: 1. Vertical archery hunters were still able to kill 98% of the deer numbers they took the previous year. 2. Crossbow hunters were actually able to increase the amount of deer they killed vs the previous year. 3. Firearms hunters did not keep pace with archery hunters in terms of harvest numbers.

30-Jun-15
I have read some of the posts above. The same "discussion" could be made in reference to guns. The efficiency of optics, reliability of the optics, the development of newer cartridges ,etc. have made it possible to kill animals in another zip code! That is, if a hunter chooses to use it that way. I am not antigun and own & hunt with a lot of different ones. However, the advances have not made it easier for me to kill the deer of my dreams.

I wonder about the advancements as is a heat seeking projectile next in the works! Where will it all end? Can and will it affect hunting season bag limits and season length?

I agree with Bowriter and Jaquomo that this argument has been had before....

>>>>-------->

30-Jun-15
less bowhunters and less rifle hunters where I live. I haven't even seen another bowhunter in over 10 years.

30-Jun-15
Those are the numbers I would expect Kevin...I knew they were there but couldn't find them. I looked at every state I could think of and even into Ohio a bit. Bam! Crossguns increase hunter success rates, (at least in Ohio). I'm surprised to see the drop in gun harvest to correspond. I would presume that is because of the gun harvests more restrictive season.

01-Jul-15
Perhaps the drop in gun harvest with a corresponding increase in crossbow harvest is the movement of some gun hunters to crossbow hunting. They like the idea of hunting when the weather is more pleasant and want to hunt when the rut is active and they have a better chance of shooting a mature buck.

01-Jul-15
I'm sure that is part of it. Surely they aren't more effective right? My gosh, I feel like I've been a lot more argumentative than I would prefer to have been throughout this thread.

But seriously, I don't judge anyone for their choice of equipment but at least suck it up and admit it if it's more effective than than it has been in the past. It doesn't make you a slob, just means it will increase your success in most cases.

01-Jul-15
Having shot recurves and compounds for 40-years and being forced to go to a crossbow about six years ago, I feel qualified to comment on the effectiveness of either.

A crossbow is not one iota more effective than compound or a recurve. It has no greater range than a compound and in fact, shoots no flatter. It has as many drawbacks as it does advantages. The fact is, a crossbow only has two advantages.

1-Little or no practice required once it is sighted in. 2- No learning curve if you are reasonably intelligent and have some shooting experience.

Crossbows are not a 100-yard weapon. Yes, they will shoot 100-yards as will a compound. But to shoot it accurately, it must be sighted in for 100-yards. Then, it is useless at any range much less than 100-yards. It is no faster and has no more k e at 35-yards than a modern compound. The true advantage in archery/bowhunting is the person who shoots instinctively.

Now, while comparing crossbows and compounds as to effectiveness, consider, a crossbow cannot be shot at a target behind or even close to behind a tree. The target must be from dead to the side or in front of the shooter. Their weight and design make them extremely cumbersome and almost impossible to stalk with. The time and effort required, make them almost useless for a second shot. They are a pain to hold while sitting in a stand.

However...using one does beat not going at all and they have been an entry to many hunters changing to compounds after a year or so with a crossbow.

01-Jul-15
You forgot at least one other thing John and that is little to no movement to get a shot off with the crossbow. As you know getting a shot with a longbow, recurve or compound requires a lot of motion to draw and shoot it. The crossbow does not require that....I've often told my muzzleloading friends if you want to experience bowhunting without having to buy a bow, just sneak within about 25 yards of a deer and then try and load your muzzleloader....not a lot of difference. Funny though, no one ever takes me up on it.

01-Jul-15
I have not found that to be true. It would be if deer walked exactly where you wanted them to walk or if I had notbeen able to hold a compound at full draw for an extended time.

it is true, you do not have to draw a crossbow. But the movement required to get into position is equal to drawing a compound. Few people can hold a crossbow in shooting posisition any longer than they can hold a compound at full draw. I cannot hold mine nearly as long.

In the six years of hunting with a crossbow, other than two I mentioned in the earlier post, I have not found an advantage and would trade mine back for a vertical bow in a heartbeat. I have also found that most if not all the people whot hink the crossbow provides a hunting advantage, have not hunted with one. The operative word is hunting. They are far more cumberson that a rifle and are a pain to hunt with. Shooting one a few times, is in no way comparable to hunting with one.

01-Jul-15
Well if it was me John, I'd be using that crossbow with shooting sticks like I do with my rifles. It would be up and in position and ready to go with minimal motion. I don't hunt big game with rifles hardly at all, but I've killed around a 100 coyotes a year for the fur market for a long time and I never ever leave the house without shooting sticks.

The basic fact is that modern society wants everything easier with less work and effort. It's the human condition. We've built whole societies and markets around that. Most all hunting products are geared towards that fact also and lots of people buy them...me included to some extent.

Some of us just prefer to have more 'hunt' in our hunting. Others want a lot less; and therein lies the basic conflict and why the recurve/longbow shooters distrust compound shooters, bowhunters dislike crossbow hunters and why rifle hunters think the bow seasons 'aren't fair'. The basic differences in equipment make everyone suspicious of everyone elses motives.

There is no fixing it....so I take my nice custom made recurves and go hunting and generally ignore the BS. :)

01-Jul-15
When you get a Cabela's archery catalog and it has something like 13 pages of crossbows vs maybe 8 or 9 pages of all other bow types combined...that's basically a mirror of what's going on here in Ohio. Today's very tech-driven archery gear is hard to resist for a new archery hunter who understandably wants to succeed as quickly as possible. Versus the choice of a recurve or longbow, he will likely succeed much faster. I'm not saying that's a bad thing, but it shows how technology can affect choices and therefore aid success.

I have no provable idea where all this use of technology will take us. Anyone with a modicum of sense knows that it has dramatically changed the bowhunting scene over the past 50 years. Archery seasons and revenue are an enormous animal compared to many decades ago. Tech in archery is here to stay.

It seems pretty certain that eventually the archers will kill more big game than do firearms guys in some states. I think anybody who looks at trends would be interested in how it might affect hunting and future regulations. There was a time when bowhunting harvest stats were basically a couple drops in the bucket of water. Today in Ohio archers are accounting for half the water in that bucket now, and the crossbow is steadily leading the charge. I'm not calling that a negative, but I'm equally sure that ODNR officials and wildlife managers are considering where this is going and whether (or not) they will make changes to maintain their objectives. They have amply demonstrated that they will change seasons and weapons as they determine is best for deer hunting. If the shift continues toward more kills during archery season and if that in some way negatively impacts the buck harvest here, I believe we could see strategies implemented which limit or reduce the buck harvest by archery hunters.

Wherever it's headed, it's amazing to watch what continued technology is doing to bowhunting, and hunting in general.

02-Jul-15
Kevin, I agree with your thoughts. But, basing one years harvest data as the back bone of how they are going to over take the hunting world isn't right either.

Ohio is a poor example as the crossbow was allowed when the herd grew. People were "raised" on them. I understand that you have addressed this the same and we both agree that the issue is people choosing them versus other choices being the issue here. As, they simply are not more efficient. Easier to be deadly? Yes. Better tools? No.

That's the issue. Since hunting numbers are dropping as a whole, the only issue to consider hen people demand the crossbow is going to affect hunting's longterm existence. Hunting numbers have dropped since the great depression. No difference here. As life gets easier, people get lazy. Will it redefine seasons? Yeah it probably will. By increasing them.

Crossbow introduction is no different than compound introduction, except, there are fewer hunters to participate in the coming years. Maybe we need easier tools to retain our piece of the pie?

RickE, a crossbow is cumbersome and heavy. Front heavy, awkward, etc... Going to be fun listening to the few serious hunters that will choose them by choice, cuss the weapon due to their limitations after using them. That's been my experience anyways. God Bless

02-Jul-15
It is misleading to say that crossbows are no more accurate than hand-held compound or traditional bows. This is only true when comparing the top 1% of compound shooters with crossbows. How many of us shoot that well? The average shooter is not accurate enough with their gear to match the accuracy of a typical crossbow shooter. As was mentioned, it takes a LOT of practice with a hand-held bow to be proficient, less with crossbows.

Few people choose crossbows because they really really want to hunt with that weapon. They choose crossbows so they can participate in the archery season without putting forth the time, effort, and dedication required to shoot a hand-held bow. While there are some hunters who are physically disabled and have great difficulty shooting a hand-held bow, they are few in number and the people leading the crossbow movement are able-bodied men that want to hunt the archery season without all that practice and dedication stuff.

02-Jul-15
I just set u a very nice Excalibur crossbow for a disabled friend. After initial set up and sighting, which was extremely easy. It is dialed in out to 80 yards NO PROBLEM!!! He will be hunting with me on my land. I told him, no shots longer than what you would have taken with your compound. This crossbow is light, easy to shoot and very easy to be proficient with, with almost no practice. The only drawback is that it's fairly loud. For what it's worth, my buddy is not happy about having to hunt with it. But it's the only way he can bowhunt anymore due to serious health issues.

That is exactly what crossbows during archery season should be. For the handicapped and elderly, not the lazy that want the easy way.

02-Jul-15
I had every intention of not posting on this thread, but when the statement was made that crossbows are no more effective than a compound or recurve, I just couldn't help myself. I'll give a couple first-hand accounts that blows that theory out the window.

Back in the late '80's, three of use were doing the blood tailing portion of the NBEF course we were conducting at the local community college. While we were setting up, several vehicles pulled up, including a couple from Wyo G&F. They unloaded some haybales, along with a crossbow. We talked to a warden, who told us a couple crossbow reps were putting on a demonstration. There were two female G&F employees that had never touched a crossbow. After 5min of instruction, they had the two ladies shoot at a paper plate. Not one shot failed to hit the paper plate...again, after only 5min of instruction.

Last summer at the local archery range, guy shows up with a crossbow that looked more like an assault rifle. He set up his shooting sticks, rested the crossbow on it, looked through his scope, and proceeded to put all 3 bolts into the bull at 40yds. He then moved over to the 50yd target and not one bolt was further than an inch from the bullseye. He made the comment, "Just wanted to see if it was still on, since I haven't shot it since last year", put the crossbow back in his case, along with the mechanical cocking device he used, and drove off.

08-Jul-15
I like your comparison there

08-Jul-15
Now that crossbows are allowed in archery seasons they will overtake compounds as the dominant "bow" of choice, just as compounds supplanted recurves and longbows a generation before. They are easier to learn how to shoot and require less practice which is perfect for the next crop of Bowhunters raised on the outdoor channels.

09-Jul-15
Per Lucas: "Now that crossbows are allowed in archery seasons they will overtake compounds as the dominant "bow" of choice, just as compounds supplanted recurves and longbows a generation before."

I agree, but part of this will be affected by the state, population, terrain, road system, cultural habits...so many factors. Ohio was and is the perfect state for crossbows to overtake all others. The majority of our hunting is done less than a linear mile from a road. Our firearms season was always mainly smoothbore shotgun, so crossbows didn't feel like a huge kick in the nuts for accuracy when a gunner tried one. The vast majority of archery whitetail hunting is done from treestands, so weightier and more tech-complex weapons are easier to manage vs a miles-long hike and ground stalk. ATVS are gigantically popular here and they seem to go with crossbows like peas and carrots.

I don't personally see the appeal in utilizing a lot of technology to make archery kills easier, but that's just me. I think there's a lot of value in the struggle to learn, gain strength, fail many times, stalk close, and hone personal skills to the point that much of it (tech) is unnecessary. In the end, it's better for me to achieve success with less or come home with only stories and photographs. I acknowledge that a majority of archery hunters probably don't feel or think like I do, and I don't try to change that.

Technology has arrived and will stay...grow in our sport. I don't see it ever stopping. Maybe it shouldn't stop. The days of referring to it as 'primitive weapons' are decades behind us now.

09-Jul-15
The death of archery will be the ignorance of the masses.

09-Jul-15
I think the only thing that has saved crossbows form taking over the arena completely is the outdoor film industry which has largely boycotted them.

12-Aug-15

I saw this today, 400 fps!

12-Aug-15
Deer can still dodge it

12-Aug-15
No it's not a 300 win mag...but seriously, that's a big change in tragectory and takes a lot of yardage guess work out of the equation. In short it's a game changer. I'd take you to task on that with timed whitetail footage and would bet that a deer couldn't get out of the way fast enough inside 70-80 yards even if they did react.

12-Aug-15
Its got a mechanical head pictured. I wonder, if you shot fixed blades, how long you can get them to group at distance before you need new heads or inserts. How long will they spin true until you get flyers. That is fast. I foresee a lot of wounded animals.

12-Aug-15
Why shoot fixed blades?

12-Aug-15
If its going to go that route then in a few years I can say that I shoot "Traditional".

• Sitka Gear