HDE 06-May-16
Tberg 06-May-16
ixsolracxi 06-May-16
butcherboy 06-May-16
danrippa 10-May-16
Unit 9er 10-May-16
easeup 10-May-16
29-Jun-15
After approximately 40 years of trying, my dad has finally drawn his Valle Vidal elk tag. (He is a rifle hunter so I apologize to my fellow bowhunters for that first of all) He actually quit putting in for the NM draw and so for the last 8 years I have been putting him in, which makes it that much cooler to him. He could not believe it when I told him the news!! He is 62 years young and is yet to kill an elk. He had chances when he was younger to kill smaller bulls but passed on them. He is in decent shape but is on the lazy side. His hunt will be October 17-23.

We went 2 weekends ago to get an idea of the land and what not. We have decided to camp at one of the 2 campgrounds just not sure which one yet. We will have horses also which should make it easier for him to get way off the main roads. I do plan to go back in early August to camp a few days and do some exploring but am wanting any info ANYONE may have about the Valle Vidal, which campsite is best, where to focus our hunting efforts and any other info you might have....including pictures! Thanks in advance. We cannot wait and I want to finally, hopefully, get my dad a great looking bull!!

01-Jul-15
Contact me. I had that tag about 10 years ago. And unless things have changed considerably, you and your dad will have a ball.

Either campground is good but I ended up staying at the upper campground. I still believe that is where I would camp if I had it to do all over again.

Just send me a PM and I will send you my email and phone number.

01-Jul-15
Never apologize for a rifle hunter! Its the most effective way to harvest an elk! Lots of bears but even more elk. Was there in 2012 on a turkey hunt and the elk #s were mind blowing! I stayed in the lower campground and had a bear shake the pickup! Look for big bulls below the loop road a mile or so east of the upper campground. This will truly be an awesome hunt!

01-Jul-15
Hunted it in 2013 second archery hunt. I stayed at the upper campground. Mostly hunted south of commanche creek and west of the creek. there is a parking area there and a really nice gravel road that you can walk in two miles really fast then pick where you want to go. I killed mine west of the creek and my dad killed his east just above the big Valle Vidal valley. We would walk up the west side of the ridge right through their bedding areas and ambush them when they came out of the valley in the morning. I would concentrate on that ridge above the valley, south, and west of the creek. since you have horses you can go back even farther and set up a spike camp and stay out a few days or the whole hunt. Even saddling up every morning and riding south of the creek will get you back a few miles fast and cover a ton of country. You could even pack in and head up to the big peak to the north of the main road.

whatever you do, it's a heck of a place to hunt!

02-Jul-15
LIke others said, a great, great hunt.

I've killed bigger bulls in three other places, but the Valle Vidal was the best elk hunt of my life. Then again, I was there during the rut.

I passed on a 320is the first 10 minutes of my hunt and killed a smaller bull the last morning of my hunt.

No regrets. Getting to spend four days in that many elk before killing was worth it.

Have fun!

02-Jul-15
PM on its way.

08-Jul-15
Thank you for the info everyone! I can't wait! Should be a memorable experience. If anyone else has any other information please keep it coming.

06-Oct-15
I hate to hijack your post, but I too drew a tag for the Vidal. Not sure how I missed this post in my online research months ago. Let me know if you want to compare notes. I have talked to a few others on some other sites. Planning to stay in the lower campground, look for the truck with the Buffalo Bills license plate bracket I am sure we will have a few cold pops available.

06-Oct-15
Don't they give you a small area to hunt in, so you don't have your choice of anywhere?

06-Oct-15
You're thinking Valles Caldera, and no, they do not that anymore.

05-May-16
I drew the early archery elk hunt in Valle Vidal this year. I was wondering if anyone could point me in a good direction.

Any help is appreciated.

05-May-16
see butcherboys' note above...

05-May-16
I was wondering when u lucky devils would start posting!

06-May-16
Guilty, I pulled 2nd hunt.

06-May-16
You suck ;)

06-May-16
Take Tons of Pics and video never hurts!!!

06-May-16

ixsolracxi's embedded Photo
ixsolracxi's embedded Photo
Here's a small bull to get your blood boiling, good luck!

06-May-16
that pick looks like the lower country. I scouted there too for my hunt and saw plenty of bulls but I chose to the hunt the higher country and am glad I did. If I could do it all over, I would pack in about 3 miles on the southwest side by comanche creek. Its fairly easy to get around because of all the old, old logging roads. It's actually pretty cool to see all the old tree stumps that were cut with a hand saw or ax instead of a chainsaw. The Valle Vidal has such an interesting history from the Maxwell Land Grant days and even before then. there is a couple of old towns in there and an old railway. Back then the Vermejo, Valle Vidal, and Philmont Scout Ranch were all part of the land grant. Definitely the hunt of a lifetime. Congrats to the lucky few!

10-May-16
I drew th early archery in the Valle Vidal this year. It will be my first bull if I am successful, so I will have no problem taking a 320 bull

10-May-16
Me neither! LOL

10-May-16
nothing like a grand slam for your first bull!

• Sitka Gear